PDA

View Full Version : TG to drive a car in GA?!!

cart7
10-17-05, 08:52 AM
Indystar (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051017/SPORTS01/510170441)

George also hopes to have a Grand Am program to run in the three races that will be held in conjunction with the IRL next season. He hopes to help drive the car along with stepson Ed Carpenter and perhaps Dempsey.
:eek:

Jervis Tetch 1
10-17-05, 09:30 AM
So instead of a "helicopter crash away from unification," we're only an "autoracing crash away...?"

Sorry, I couldn't resist that. :D

JoeBob
10-17-05, 10:20 AM
TG did run the Indy Lights Series in 1989 - driving for A.J. Foyt:
http://www.motorsport.com/stats/indylights/data/1989.pdf

nrc
10-17-05, 10:28 AM
Another American who never got a shot in Champ car heads for Grand Am. :p

cart7
10-17-05, 10:29 AM
TG did run the Indy Lights Series in 1989 - driving for A.J. Foyt:
http://www.motorsport.com/stats/indylights/data/1989.pdf

and as I recall, AJ told him to keep his day job. :gomer:

FCYTravis
10-17-05, 12:45 PM
I'm sure he'll have fun racing for 20th in class.

extramundane
10-17-05, 01:15 PM
I just feel sorry for the poor GT-class cars he's going to hold up...

Gangrel
10-17-05, 01:22 PM
I just feel sorry for the poor GT-class cars he's going to hold up...

...or plow into...

devilmaster
10-17-05, 01:28 PM
Guess Tony didn't listen to that IRL team owner who told him running a GA team doesn't help morale.

Once again, Tony got something in his mind and is going to do it, regardless of the fallout.....

Gotta give it to Tony - he's got the 'damn the torpedoes' agressiveness, too bad he has no intelligence or common sense to go with it. He might have been a decent tactician.

trauma1
10-17-05, 03:36 PM
taking bets on who punts FTG into the wall 1st, any takers? :rolleyes:

extramundane
10-17-05, 04:00 PM
taking bets on who punts FTG into the wall 1st, any takers? :rolleyes:

Himself. Or Max Papis.

cameraman
10-17-05, 04:19 PM
Don't they have some kind of minimum standard for drivers in GA?

trauma1
10-17-05, 04:24 PM
apparently no,i'll send a check to help pay for damages for the one who punts him

Sean O'Gorman
10-17-05, 04:44 PM
Don't they have some kind of minimum standard for drivers in GA?

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1399718

What a joke.......rumor is they used to give out GA licenses in cracker jack boxes. I know of people who got Grand Am liceneses who had never raced in their lives (though they did look chipper standing around in their fancy Sparco's at Ferrari Club Events).

I went to participate in a Grand Am practice session at Lime Rock back in 03 and they asked for my Grand Am license. I had a SCCA Regional, National, and Pro license and a Skippy license (also given away in cracker jack boxes). They weren't going to let me run until I pointed out the said "chipper looking sparco" guy who had never even raced before.

A Grand Am License is akin to showing the local DMV your license from "Ciaro".

As for a GA license (or GA Cup or Rolex or whatever) I think the most important qualification is that your $500 (or more now???) check clears.

Still, it might be tough for TG to get one.

Easy
10-17-05, 05:59 PM
Thats about right. You can get a GA license with a Skippy school and some skippy regionals, maybe even less. As selective as SCCA Pro Racing and slightly less so than CART for an Atlantic ticket. The main thing in getting a racing license below the FIA Grade A level is paying the fee and putting another car out there.

TKGAngel
10-17-05, 06:54 PM
Indystar (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051017/SPORTS01/510170441)

George also hopes to have a Grand Am program to run in the three races that will be held in conjunction with the IRL next season. He hopes to help drive the car along with stepson Ed Carpenter and perhaps Dempsey.
:eek:

So we've got the idiot grandson, his idiot stepson and Dr. McDreamy (go watch Grey's Anatomy) on a team? Oy.

cameraman
10-17-05, 07:26 PM
George also hopes to have a Grand Am program to run in the three races that will be held in conjunction with the IRL next season.

So he won't be defiling the new 9hr race in Utah with his presence. Whew.

Rogue Leader
10-17-05, 07:57 PM
Thats about right. You can get a GA license with a Skippy school and some skippy regionals, maybe even less. As selective as SCCA Pro Racing and slightly less so than CART for an Atlantic ticket. The main thing in getting a racing license below the FIA Grade A level is paying the fee and putting another car out there.

Basically right, although IMSA is no better. I have an IMSA and Star Mazda license that I got with Skippy Basic and Advanced, 7 years of autocrossing (with 2 championships), and some Skippy lapping. They were more concerned about my medical forms and my $350 check.

But I think to drive a Prototype there is an additional license you need.....

Lizzerd
10-18-05, 12:02 AM
I saw The Idiot drive a midget a couple times. Once in the Hoosier Dome, and once at the now closed 16th Street Speedway (formerly a baseball stadium for Indy's AAA team, purchased by Tony to turn into a midget track). Both times were dismal failures for the driver wannabe. A buddy of mine who competed against him locally (don't want to blow his cover) told me that TG was renting the best car on the grid only to finish (?) near dfl. He was a hoot to watch, though.

coolhand
10-18-05, 12:24 AM
all he needs is a mediocer driving career and a permiscuous horse trainer and OW is fixed ;)

Easy
10-18-05, 10:16 AM
But I think to drive a Prototype there is an additional license you need.....

Yes, FIA. That can be handled with some cash too though.

Methanolandbrats
10-18-05, 11:47 AM
If he had balls he's strap himself in an IRL car. But he probably thinks they are too dangerous. :mad:

Accipiter
10-18-05, 03:22 PM
Dammit! And this after I had made my peace with Grand Am and started to just enjoy the racing.

Having to hear about that twit out there is going to reduce my Joy.

If he had balls he's strap himself in an IRL car. But he probably thinks they are too dangerous.

And he's probably afraid of the drivers in his own series who know he's the only impediment to a return of sanity in American open wheel racing.