PDA

View Full Version : Interesting meeting Part 2

DjDrOmusic
03-18-03, 03:38 AM
Tonight while I was helping everyone enjoy St. Pattys day at Woo Doggies, the guy who showed me the USGP corner worker credential before the get together, and apparently the guy who was giving people fits last year during the Mexico City get together, came up to me and started telling me some things that were both interesting and disheartening. He told me that he had just returned from Sebring and what a great race it was. Then he said he was a little upset that people were booing Mikey last year at our gathering and said that he gave 19 good years to CART and that nobody racing in CART today would give that long to the series. Then the part that made me really take notice, he claimed to have heard from "the TOP" that next year, there will be only one Champcar race in Ohio, in Cleveland, and that TG would have his circus performing at Road America, Mid Ohio and Watkins Glen. I didn't have time to ask who "the Top" was, as he walked away while I was changing songs. Things that make you go hmmmm!

devilmaster
03-18-03, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by DjDrOmusic
Then he said he was a little upset that people were booing Mikey last year at our gathering and said that he gave 19 good years to CART and that nobody racing in CART today would give that long to the series.

Lets lay this right out on the table.

Well, first, the guy left before the mexico race even started. So the only way he knew that we made fun at Mikey is the fact that he reads forums, and we talked about how we all sang NA NA NA NA NA HEY GOODBYE.

He left before any big crowd shows up. He trolled on Mel and Dan. He leaves when everyone starts showing up. He shows up a couple weeks before St. Pete, to meet you, DrDJ, and says he'll show up for St. Pete. We talk about him online and agree it was the same guy that trolled before. He doesn't show up at St. Pete. Now he knows that we're going to have an LB party, and he knows the kerfuffle that RA has brought upon the forums, cause we know he reads them, how else would he have known we made fun of Mikey??? So he comes up with this little tidbit from 'the top'.

So let me say it right here. I don't believe him. Not at all. And I've met him, and Mel and Dan can speak better than I can, as he left shortly after I had shown up. I haven't seen one shred of credibility, and I stick to what I said about him 4 months or so ago. Some sorta troll. Perhaps he feels he is some dedicated CART fan. But first impressions can make or break you. Sorry, boy. (cause I know you are reading this.)

But to be fair, i'll explain why, IMO, this rumour is laughable. If certain tracks want to cast their lot with the earl, I say have fun having no one! Of the three tracks he mentioned, only the Glen would do decent, and only because they can tie in to season tickets to NASCAR. Look at Michigan. Look at any old CART track in US that the earl has gone to. Its a recipe for disaster. Poor crowds. Hardly any paying customers. If RA and MO were complaining about small crowds before, just wait until they try an earl race.

Personally, I look at the trend toward city streets as a way to make money, and stabilize the product. The people aren't coming out, so go to the people. I believe its more of a temporary (read a few years) solution. Get those people interested in the sport. Get them following it, and then try to bring them out to the great tracks.

But it brings me back to and old thread I read with great interest. People like Nappy and Railbird talked about old tracks that are no longer around. Everyone spoke highly of certain ones. But they aren't with us anymore. Some have been swallowed up by suburbia. It happens. Its unfortunate, but some of these great tracks are gone. Some have been changed.

To everything, Turn Turn Turn.....

And, troll boy, make sure you make it out to the LB get-together.

Steve

Napoleon
03-18-03, 07:09 AM
Well put Steve

pchall
03-18-03, 12:04 PM
Somebody who puts that much effort into IRL propaganda and trolling has no life.

For some reason I think this must be the same guy in the older pickup truck with an IRL bumper sticker I used to notice in front of the nicest deli/butcher in Hilliard. He bent my ear a couple of times over my CART decal when I lived there from 97-99.

datachicane
03-18-03, 12:32 PM
An IRL bumper sticker?
No kidding?

Maybe it's a geographic thing, but I've never even seen an IRL bumper sticker, T-shirt, static cling, or any other indication that the series even exists anywhere that required an actual, live human to have an actual interest in the outfit.

In fact, I've got a buddy who made up an international sticker for Ireland for his car, which he unfortunately did in red to match the aforementioned ride. He gets ribbed pretty mercilessly. :D

pchall
03-18-03, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by datachicane
An IRL bumper sticker?

Yup.

Suprised the heck out of me since there were two CART teams in the town at that time.

And when I finally spoke to the guy it was clear he was the most retrograde of lemmings. When I mentioned the nick I used at SpeedNet he clammed up.

datachicane
03-18-03, 12:49 PM
I've never met anyone r/t with even the slightest lemming leanings- seems like it'd be a bit of a Rod Serling moment.

Sure, there was the guy behind me at Portland a couple of years ago who had it in for Heitzler 'cuz he was sure he was going to kill Lights (turned out he was right), and went on at length predicting CART's doom, but even he wasn't an IRL fan, just a disillusioned CART fan.

DjDrOmusic
03-18-03, 01:51 PM
I know the guy wasn't there when we did the na na hey hey goodbye for Mikey. I personally think he gets a kick out of trying to get people worked up, and maybe that's why he comes to see me, because I'm a challenge. I've never argued with him although I've never agreed. We'll see if he shows up for the LB party or if he just happens to have a race to attend.

pchall
03-18-03, 01:59 PM
We'll see if he shows up for the LB party or if he just happens to have a race to attend.

I'm sure that I'm not the only OC member with steel toed boots. ;)

devilmaster
03-18-03, 03:14 PM
I personally think he gets a kick out of trying to get people worked up,

Thats the webster's definition of troll, no? ;)

Steve

Napoleon
03-18-03, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by datachicane
An IRL bumper sticker?
No kidding?

Maybe it's a geographic thing, but I've never even seen an IRL bumper sticker, T-shirt, static cling, or any other indication that the series even exists anywhere that required an actual, live human to have an actual interest in the outfit.

This is the honest to God truth. In 2001 when I ran the June Sprints at Road America I noticed one of the tow trucks working the event (I believe a private contractor) had one on his truck, while towing, at Road America.

rabbit
03-18-03, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Napoleon
This is the honest to God truth. In 2001 when I ran the June Sprints at Road America I noticed one of the tow trucks working the event (I believe a private contractor) had one on his truck, while towing, at Road America. I certainly hope he was shown the door and had his contract permanently cancelled.

mello
03-18-03, 06:14 PM
I am always suspect when someone right away makes it known he is someone important right at the get go. And then also that he knows someone at the top. BUT! This man did tell us that someone at the "TOP" told him that CART would for sure not be running this year. So my guess is if he does know someone at the top, the person doesn't know ***t.
DM your post was great.

Napoleon
03-18-03, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by rabbit
I certainly hope he was shown the door and had his contract permanently cancelled.

So do I.

I suppose this would go better in the "RA has stuck it to CART" thread, but as to the official trucks at RA, Toyota supplied all of them to RA.

Take that for what you will.

mello
03-18-03, 08:29 PM

Flywheel
03-18-03, 08:42 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We'll see if he shows up for the LB party or if he just happens to have a race to attend.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I am quite sure, a man with a Cincinnati Red's jacket...with a CART logo sewn over the "C" logo...is a bit suspect as a Real CART fan. Just my observation.

Spicoli
03-18-03, 09:29 PM
Did this guy go by the name of Wilke?

Just kidding. I was at your party for the MexFest, and remember that guy - he came up to me too. Kind of in a stalking fashion like "I know who you and those crapwagon people are". whatever, doodsicle.

I didn't really know how to take it, but then Mello (I think) said he was a real wierd guy and was walking around trying to pick arguements or something.

I remember the guy for sure. I wouldn't believe him.

And BTW - there are EARL "bumper stickers". Undortunately I see them all around in my neck of the woods. Saw one the other day on an old Saturn 2-door with a big aluminum wing on it. Car was a real piece of work - GOLD tinted windows? Kid thought he was Eminiminimenenmem or whatever that guy is. those kids are everywhere it seems these days.

Rant over.

Railbird
03-18-03, 09:48 PM
I'm sure, whoever this guy is, he's enjoying this thread.