PDA

View Full Version : Why don't they advertise?

cameraman
10-14-05, 06:33 PM
Champ Car transmission builders, brakes suppliers, shock companies.
You never hear the names of the suppliers.

Why not?

Wouldn't that help them market their stuff?

Why all the secrecy?

coolhand
10-14-05, 06:40 PM
Ohlin and Penske are the two big shock mafcs. and they pretty much are a know quantity in that regard and only make raicng shocks. so I guess the dont need to advetise.

except you do see the shocks advertised on some of the cars.
http://www.motorsport.com/photos/champcar/2005/por/champcar-2005-por-kd-0242.jpg
see olhins on the thin red painted part of the undertray on the aft part of the car just above the black skirt.

cameraman
10-14-05, 07:25 PM
Olhins is a great example. Their site is a shrine to Valentino Rossi. They also admit to making the shock for A1GP but mentions of Champ Car don't exist. CART gets a mention and Herdez and Players/Forsythe get a mention but...

According to the Lola site the Champ Cars run "12.9 in dia x 1.1 in thick cast-iron Brembo discs with Brembo calipers". You would never know it from Brembo's site.

It just seems to me that CCWS is missing something here.

spinner26
10-14-05, 08:26 PM
Don't know the cost but can tell you TCGR was at the Ohlins shaker in N.C. alot. Not until they went for a year or so did chip finally agree on a small sticker / decal in the same spot as the one above. These teams want big bucks for those stickers.

I was listening to a talk show last night and the company motorkote was on and they talked about all the different racing tema that use their product and buy it in bulk, but will not put a decal on for less than several thousnd dollars.

Claims were made on the show that AGR and DEI are two of the bigger racing customers.

www.motorkote.com

Rocketdoc
10-14-05, 09:23 PM
Champ Car transmission builders, brakes suppliers, shock companies.
You never hear the names of the suppliers.

Why not?

Wouldn't that help them market their stuff?

Why all the secrecy?

They do advertize in "Racecar Engineering" magazine.

coolhand
10-14-05, 09:24 PM
Because Cameraman, In A1GP they all run the same stuff.

Some teams in CCWS run Olhins, some run Penske's, etc. and they keep moving around. Teams like Coyne probably scrap together what ever they can get

with breaks, alot of teams run Performance Friction Discs, and Brembo Calipers, or Brembo-Brembo, or Performance Friction-Performance friction.

there is not contiuity.

cameraman
10-15-05, 01:05 PM
You are missing my point.

Olhins is on the PKV car right now which can only mean that Olhins is paying PKV, correct assumption?

So why does the Olhins web site only talk about Players/Forsythe and CART while also having Rossi's results from a week or two ago?

Why, if you can even find one, is the Champ Car mention totally out of date on the manufacturer sites? Their IRL mentions are up to date, their A1GP, ALMS or Grand Am stuff is current. Nobody has current CCWS anything.

Sean O'Gorman
10-15-05, 02:34 PM
Olhins is on the PKV car right now which can only mean that Olhins is paying PKV, correct assumption?

I wouldn't say necessarily. Probably a contingency type deal.

coolhand
10-15-05, 03:19 PM
You are missing my point.

possibly, but i think not. I think that PKV has a factory support contract with Olhins provided that they exlcusivly use Olhins, in eaxchange they get a olhin support dude at the track to help out. It could also be a a small discount for that small sticker.

So why does the Olhins web site only talk about Players/Forsythe and CART while also having Rossi's results from a week or two ago?

Why, if you can even find one, is the Champ Car mention totally out of date on the manufacturer sites? Their IRL mentions are up to date, their A1GP, ALMS or Grand Am stuff is current. Nobody has current CCWS anything.

I do not know.

Sean O'Gorman
10-15-05, 03:56 PM
Seriously, who is going to start using Ohlins because they saw it on a Champ Car?