PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Phone Service?

nrc
10-13-05, 10:06 PM
SBC has screwed up our move in about a half dozen ways and I'm tired of dealing with them. I'm also tired of paying $30 plus long distance charges for POTS.

Anyone using Vonage or other VOIP phone services? Any impressions? Is there a noticeable difference in sound quality?

racer2c
10-13-05, 10:13 PM
[start geek humor] Does yelling at lamers who I just fragged in some Halo 2 deathmatch count? well, then Kia for modded Xbox's rocks! [/end geek humor] :)

Sorry no help on the major VOIP carriers.

Cam
10-13-05, 10:40 PM
Yep... Skype..... I havent subscribed to a dial in number wich is only 30 Euos/year, but I have been using my ipaq to dial out thru the wireless router, and it works like a charm! Get SkypeIn and you will be batting 100! :thumbup:

In addition it supports all major O/S platforms too....

Sean O'Gorman
10-13-05, 11:10 PM
I had a professor who said he switched all his overseas businesses to Vonage and went from like $1000 to $30 a month in phone expenses and loved it. And then he went into a rant about how its not fair that in the U.S. you can't legally break someone's legs or threaten their children when they owe you money.

racer2c
10-13-05, 11:16 PM
I had a professor who said he switched all his overseas businesses to Vonage and went from like $1000 to $30 a month in phone expenses and loved it. And then he went into a rant about how its not fair that in the U.S. you can't legally break someone's legs or threaten their children when they owe you money.

ah, community college. :)

Stu
10-14-05, 04:48 AM
SBC has screwed up our move in about a half dozen ways and I'm tired of dealing with them. I'm also tired of paying $30 plus long distance charges for POTS.

Anyone using Vonage or other VOIP phone services? Any impressions? Is there a noticeable difference in sound quality?

As long as you have a steady reliable high speed connection to the internet you should be fine. I hear it does use a lot of bandwidth and you will notice when surfing the net if someone is on the phone. You also have to accept the fact that now when the power goes out or your cable goes out, you lose your phone service.

Skater_36
10-14-05, 08:25 AM
I have a second line that I switched over to Vonage over a year ago. I've had some people say they can't hear me as well on the Vonage line but other than that I've been happy with the service for less than half the price I was previously paying. As long as you have a reliable cable/dsl connection you should be ok.

DjDrOmusic
10-14-05, 11:59 AM
I have Time-Warner for phone cable and internet, the only bad thing is if the power goes out you lose your phone, other than that it's great, long distance, voice mail, caller ID, call waiting, etc. for about $35 a month!!

Insomniac
10-14-05, 01:49 PM

He obviously loved it for the cost savings, but what about the quality?

Stu
10-14-05, 03:29 PM
He obviously loved it for the cost savings, but what about the quality?

Vernon mentioned it wasnt perfect but he had 970 reasons a month to overlook a slightly lower quality audio signal.

Insomniac
10-14-05, 04:46 PM
Vernon mentioned it wasnt perfect but he had 970 reasons a month to overlook a slightly lower quality audio signal.

Here in the US, at least for me, it's kind of silly to use it if you have DSL. Most, if not all, phone companies require you to purchase phone service which is already ~20-30 after taxes and what not. I know with SBC, they have a the all distance package which is ~$60/month which has calling features and unlimited long distance. And DSL is ~$20/month. Since I don't have local cable, I'm looking at $60/month for broadband and $25/month (is there taxes too?) for Vonage. They're almost the same for me, that's why I asked about quality.

dando
10-14-05, 07:46 PM

Been using AOL's version (basically TWC's service) for several mos. now. No complaints other than my mom expecting more frequent calls. :gomer:

SBC can rot in hell. We had issues w/our move 3 years ago as well. Spent a weekend w/o phone service, and ran up a cell bill (pay as you go) $100+. :mad: :shakehead

-Kevin

nrc
10-14-05, 07:48 PM
I wouldn't consider it if we had DSL, but we have cable. For us the $14.99/500 minute package would be more than adequate so we would be saving about $30 a month including long distance.

But the real objective is to rid ourselves of SBC. You know a company is bad when they have customer service worse than a cable company. :mad:

dando
10-14-05, 07:50 PM
[start geek humor] Does yelling at lamers who I just fragged in some Halo 2 deathmatch count? well, then Kia for modded Xbox's rocks! [/end geek humor] :)

Sorry no help on the major VOIP carriers.
2C = the east coast Ank. :gomer: :p

-Kevin

Stu
10-14-05, 08:41 PM
Here in the US, at least for me, it's kind of silly to use it if you have DSL. Most, if not all, phone companies require you to purchase phone service which is already ~20-30 after taxes and what not. I know with SBC, they have a the all distance package which is ~$60/month which has calling features and unlimited long distance. And DSL is ~$20/month. Since I don't have local cable, I'm looking at $60/month for broadband and $25/month (is there taxes too?) for Vonage. They're almost the same for me, that's why I asked about quality.

Unless you are making overseas calls or making a lot of long distance calls within the US and to Canada. Then it makes sense. Local phone through SBC, DSL through SBC, long distance through Vonage. Booyah.

racer2c
10-14-05, 09:36 PM
2C = the east coast Ank. :gomer: :p

-Kevin

Thank you, I try. :)

JLMannin
10-14-05, 11:04 PM

Verizon and SBC are starting to roll out "naked DSL" in large markets intially, but expect it to be more or less national in a couple of years. I haven't had a land line phone for three years now, and I'll bever go back.

Insomniac
10-15-05, 09:27 AM
Unless you are making overseas calls or making a lot of long distance calls within the US and to Canada. Then it makes sense. Local phone through SBC, DSL through SBC, long distance through Vonage. Booyah.

So do you have 2 phone lines (numbers) then?

Insomniac
10-15-05, 09:28 AM
Verizon and SBC are starting to roll out "naked DSL" in large markets intially, but expect it to be more or less national in a couple of years. I haven't had a land line phone for three years now, and I'll bever go back.

VOIP or cell phone?

JLMannin
10-15-05, 11:58 PM
VOIP or cell phone?

cell phone

WickerBill
05-25-08, 05:21 PM
How about now? What's new in 2008? Vonage the way to go?

trish
05-25-08, 05:29 PM
I thought Vonage was in bankruptcy.

TravelGal
05-25-08, 05:41 PM
I thought Vonage was in bankruptcy.

They are but they may still be operating. I have a friend who signed on for Vonage last fall (pre-bankruptcy) against the advice of all who knew her. It was cheap, she said. Did I mention she runs a million-dollar business from home? Four months and untold missed and dropped calls later, she couldn't get rid of it fast enough. That would be earlier this year so I'm not about to head for VOIP yet unless there is someone at lot better at it than Vonage.

racermike
05-25-08, 05:56 PM
Been using Packet8 for a couple of years, and love it.

Connection can sound a little "tinny" now and then, but other than that no problems at all.

WickerBill
05-25-08, 06:36 PM
I hate to ask this... but anyone using Comcast Voice?

going to take a shower now after even thinking about it

nrc
05-25-08, 07:07 PM
I hate to ask this... but anyone using Comcast Voice?
Aren't those DirecTV dishes big enough for an uplink now? :gomer:

We never did anything with it. I have friends who are happy with Vonage but most of them have higher speeds than typical on their Internet connections.

meadors
05-25-08, 08:19 PM
We have Charter cable tv, cable internet, cable telephone. All work ok.

It's kind of wierd not having a phone company though.

Tim
05-25-08, 10:52 PM
I've never had a landline or broadband phone. The only people who have my number are the ones who need it. I may pay a bit more than if I had a regular phone but it's worth it.

WickerBill
02-28-09, 10:10 PM
OK this time I think I'm getting rid of AT&T for reals. I'm looking at Phone Power instead of Vonage or Comcast. Seems to get great reviews and has California-based helpdesk.

Yeah, that matters.

So, any updates from anyone on their VOIP would be appreciated...

nrc
02-28-09, 10:25 PM
Still on AT&T here. Missy doesn't like the fact that with VOIP if the power goes out we don't have a working landline once the backup battery on the cable modem goes dead.

WickerBill
02-28-09, 10:31 PM
As my cell phone bills continue to mount (I now pay for 3 -- none of them mine), it seems my landline costs should go down. This would save me $30 a month-ish.

The power outage thing is my only concern, but my UPS should hold me for 2-3 hours, and if the outage goes longer than that, I've probably got bigger fish to fry than if my mother-in-law can get through on the land line.

Plus I'm struggling with feeling like a luddite for having Ma Bell and her high prices just because "it's how we've always done it."

SurfaceUnits
02-28-09, 11:23 PM
Dropped ATT last year. I'm using MajicJack and it is great for me. $20 a year for 5 years for local and long distance. Take it with you where ever you go, even overseas and call back to the states or Canada for free. YMMV, but I don't care.

RusH
02-28-09, 11:54 PM
Haven`t made the jump yet.

The WiFi Skype phones look like the most convenient...no computer necessary. (no computer turned on..that is). Seems like the best if you travel, and it looks like a decent home solution.
Although I just got a Blackberry....the wifi and app capabilities of these things are incredible.

OW
03-01-09, 12:15 AM
Still on AT&T here. Missy doesn't like the fact that with VOIP if the power goes out we don't have a working landline once the backup battery on the cable modem goes dead.

I Gotta ask....so you have a corded phone?
Most people have cordless and when power goes out no phone..I use my cell to call the Electric company..

KLang
03-01-09, 10:56 AM
We lost power for 3 days after hurricane Ike last year. The land line and dial up internet worked the entire time. Cable internet and cell phone service was down most of the time. And yes I keep a few corded phones on hand.

nrc
03-01-09, 02:57 PM
I Gotta ask....so you have a corded phone?
Most people have cordless and when power goes out no phone..I use my cell to call the Electric company..

Yes. We have a couple of them because there are places where we always want to have a phone available and the cordless is never there when you need it.

dando
03-01-09, 03:13 PM

Same here. :saywhat: Came in handy when the storm formerly known as Ike hit last fall, and cable was out for a week (while power was out < 24 hours). :irked: :mad: Came in handy for emergency dialup access and OC jonesing. :)

-Kevin

racermike
03-01-09, 04:37 PM
Well thanks to T-mo changing their rates today, I now have their unlimited voice for $50, $25 data (gonna fire up my new G1).

Before this happened today, I shared an unlimited plan with my mom that was a combined $150 a month ($75 each) and we each had TMo@Home for an additional $10 per month each. That let you have an additional line through TMo to hook to your home phones. Worked great and was very happy.

As far as VOIP goes, I used to go through Packet-8, and was extremely happy with their service and price (I had been locked into a $14/m contract since they first offered service in Oregon).

For those that have T-Mobile though, starting today (3/1), if you have been with them for 22+ months in good standing, you can get the $50/m unlimited plan now. Fam plan for same deal is $40/m extra per line.

BZSetshot
03-02-09, 10:08 AM
Mrs. BZ and I have AT&T Cellphones in an unlimited voice and data plan which we use for friends and family. We use Vonage for our home phone line mainly for anything that requires us to give out a phone number (never our cell numbers) and for international calling. The voice quality has been extremely acceptable (no one has complained) and the savings over a Telco line have been substantial. Plus the added features of vonage are a good bonus...

I have recommended Vonage to friends who have switched (over 10) and all are still using vonage without problems.

JMVHO and YMMV...