Stu
10-12-05, 11:34 AM
Chase ratings so far this year for the Nextel Cup:

Richmond on TNT (to get in). 04 = 3.4 05 = 3.3 :thumdown:
New Hampshire on TNT. 04 = 2.8 05 = 3.4
Dover on TNT. 04 = 3.2 05 = 3.1 :thumdown:
Talladega on NBC. 04 = 5.4 05 = 5.3 :thumdown:
Kansas on NBC. 04 = 4.0 05 = 3.6 :thumdown:

Ratings before the NFL were consistantly up from 2004. Now they are down. Now unless the NFL is doing something to get more people to watch this year, it's not their fault.

I guess the "Chase for the Ratings" isn't doing all that well.

TKGAngel
10-12-05, 12:08 PM
Chase ratings so far this year for the Nextel Cup:

Richmond on TNT (to get in). 04 = 3.4 05 = 3.3 :thumdown:
New Hampshire on TNT. 04 = 2.8 05 = 3.4
Dover on TNT. 04 = 3.2 05 = 3.1 :thumdown:
Talladega on NBC. 04 = 5.3 05 = 5.4
Kansas on NBC. 04 = 4.0 05 = 3.6 :thumdown:

Ratings before the NFL were consistantly up from 2004. Now they are down. Now unless the NFL is doing something to get more people to watch this year, it's not their fault.

I guess the "Chase for the Ratings" isn't doing all that well.

Stu, are you using the overnight ratings, or those that come in later in the week? Just curious. Usually the past couple of races, the overnights have been lower, but the later ratings show them breaking even or slightly increasing. (BTW, the ratings for Talladega did go up, so would that be a :thumbup: in your rating system?)

NASCAR probably won't have a full-on nutty until any rating drops over 50%.

Stu
10-12-05, 12:40 PM
Richmond is overnight, everything else is stuff that comes out later in the week. It's all per Jayski. I made a typo on Talladega, they went down.

CART T. Katz
10-12-05, 04:09 PM
does the fact that gordon or neither cars from dei (junior especially) not making it in have anything to do with it?

dando
10-12-05, 08:54 PM
does the fact that gordon or neither cars from dei (junior especially) not making it in have anything to do with it?
Bingo! Give the boy a cupie doll. :gomer:

Stu, you just don't unnerstand the the meaning of a 3.x rating. It's almost as good as a 4th @ Indy. ;) :gomer:

-Kevin

Stu
10-12-05, 09:48 PM
Stu, you just don't unnerstand the the meaning of a 3.x rating. It's almost as good as a 4th @ Indy. ;) :gomer: -Kevin

Wow that bad huh?

A few years ago though, by this time of the year, Jr. would have been out of the hunt for the championship anyway. If the system were set up as it used to be, Gordon and Jr. would have been out of it in April. I think the emphasis on the Chase has hurt them. It puts a lot more emphasis on winning the championship, vs. just winning races. With less emphasis on winning races, it leaves only the fans of 10 drivers to watch the last 10 weeks.

Andrew Longman
10-13-05, 12:50 PM
Wow that bad huh?

A few years ago though, by this time of the year, Jr. would have been out of the hunt for the championship anyway. If the system were set up as it used to be, Gordon and Jr. would have been out of it in April. I think the emphasis on the Chase has hurt them. It puts a lot more emphasis on winning the championship, vs. just winning races. With less emphasis on winning races, it leaves only the fans of 10 drivers to watch the last 10 weeks.

I agree. Its hard for a fan to get excited about watching his driver go around in circles for hours to gather tenth place points, even if that may be better towards a championship fighting for the lead, bending a fender and finishing 20th.

In the end I think the chase will lose its appeal, if it ever had it. It would be better, especially for NASCAR type racing to award the championship to the driver with the most wins, period. He/she gets big prize money. Other prize (read TV) money can be dirstributed by any points system you want. It should be unimportant to the fans and used only to distribute the wealth and pay the bills.

Stu
10-13-05, 02:07 PM
I agree. Its hard for a fan to get excited about watching his driver go around in circles for hours to gather tenth place points, even if that may be better towards a championship fighting for the lead, bending a fender and finishing 20th.

In the end I think the chase will lose its appeal, if it ever had it. It would be better, especially for NASCAR type racing to award the championship to the driver with the most wins, period. He/she gets big prize money. Other prize (read TV) money can be dirstributed by any points system you want. It should be unimportant to the fans and used only to distribute the wealth and pay the bills.

Wins definately need to have a bigger emphasis. Right now, the difference between a win and 2nd place can be as low as 10 points. Make the difference 50 points and you will totally alter the difference between winning and just running for a decent finish. It would not only benefit drivers who win, but also benefit the racing. As you said, bending fenders to go for first is better than cruising to a 10th place finish.

The way the chase is now, the only races really worth watching are Daytona to see the start, Richmond to see who gets in the chase, and Homestead to see who wins it.

pchall
10-13-05, 02:13 PM
Bingo! Give the boy a cupie doll. :gomer:

Stu, you just don't unnerstand the the meaning of a 3.x rating. It's almost as good as a 4th @ Indy. ;) :gomer:

-Kevin

I heard a lot of laughter overwhelming the tears of the newtork execs when Jeffy and St. Dale Lite didn't make the cut. :gomer:

Stu
11-23-05, 01:56 PM
I heard a lot of laughter overwhelming the tears of the newtork execs when Jeffy and St. Dale Lite didn't make the cut. :gomer:

Overall ratings for the chase were slighlty up. A few races had lower ratings from last year, but most were equal or greater.

Looks like NASCAR has little to worry about, although there is once again talk of changing the chase point system. :rolleyes:

pchall
11-23-05, 02:01 PM
How did Homestead do against the Colts and Bengals?

Steve99
11-23-05, 03:45 PM
The Colts game wasn't broadcast nationwide. We got the Denver game here instead. :mad:

Stu
11-23-05, 10:41 PM
How did Homestead do against the Colts and Bengals?

ratings were slightly down from last year for homestead.