PDA

View Full Version : Molson Gone?

TedN
10-12-05, 08:24 AM
Local Toronto radio station is reporting this morning that Molson is getting out of auto race promotion, handing it back to Champ Car. No other details yet

Ted

trauma1
10-12-05, 08:40 AM
who did they use as thier source? 10-1 it was McNutty again

TedN
10-12-05, 08:54 AM
More info here (http://tinyurl.com/8n6k5)

Ted

jonovision_man
10-12-05, 08:57 AM
:(

That sucks.

Being a fan of Champ Car is a lot like being bipolar.

jono

TedN
10-12-05, 09:01 AM
If this happens. I wonder if the Toronto event will lose the "Indy" moniker?

Ted

pferrf1
10-12-05, 10:35 AM
Finally - They can change the name. I think Molson will stick around as title sponsor.

The key elelment is keep the great staff together. I think we'll see Bob Singleton back to manage this event as well as San Jose.

jonovision_man
10-12-05, 11:34 AM
If this happens. I wonder if the Toronto event will lose the "Indy" moniker?

Ted

Hope not, it's how it's known, "the Indy", "Molson Indy", what else would you call it?

jono

JoeBob
10-12-05, 11:42 AM
So, pretty much another Long Beach.

ChampCar buys the entire operation, and keeps the title sponsor.

Where's the crisis?

jonovision_man
10-12-05, 12:08 PM
So, pretty much another Long Beach.

ChampCar buys the entire operation, and keeps the title sponsor.

Where's the crisis?

I wouldn't go as far as "crisis".

But when a solid Champ Car backer decides to scale back from being a full-on promoter to just another sponsor, I don't see how that could be anything but negative. Couple this with Molson pulling the plug on Vancouver and what looks like the inevitable in Montreal, and the "Molson Indy" franchise is looking pretty battered and bruised.

Is there still hope for "Molson Indy Edmonton"? :)

jono

Wheel-Nut
10-12-05, 12:10 PM
Hope not, it's how it's known, "the Indy", "Molson Indy", what else would you call it?

jono

Champ Car Grand Prix of Toronto

JoeBob
10-12-05, 12:15 PM
Molson didn't "pull the plug" on Vancouver. Construction destroyed any possibility of having a workable track. It went from being a pretty good track, to an okay but dangerous track (remember that bridge abuttment?), to a "we're going to have to make a lot more compromises to piece together a race" track.

The Montreal drama has nothing to do with Molson. It has to do with a promoter who is a headcase.

You've been hanging around doom and gloom forums a little too much lately.

jonovision_man
10-12-05, 12:18 PM
Molson didn't "pull the plug" on Vancouver. Construction destroyed any possibility of having a workable track. It went from being a pretty good track, to an okay but dangerous track (remember that bridge abuttment?), to a "we're going to have to make a lot more compromises to piece together a race" track.

The Montreal drama has nothing to do with Molson. It has to do with a promoter who is a headcase.

You've been hanging around doom and gloom forums a little too much lately.

You have more posts over there than me. :D

Anyway, I have a rebutle but it's probably more suited to over there than here. I just don't buy that this is good news... no matter how you slice it Molson is stepping back.

jono

skaven
10-12-05, 01:04 PM
no matter how you slice it Molson is stepping back.

jono

chop chop thwuck thwuck slice slice.... :D

"Molson is getting out of organizing events and going back to what it does best — sell beer," said the source.

... AND Champcar will be doing the promotions like they do at a lot of the tracks. Molson will sell beer, Champcar will run the event. Kinda like what the Frances do with NASCAR and SMI. This probably makes good business sense for both sides. If Molson isn't the title sponsor in 2006, then I will concede your point, but I bet they'll be there sponsoring the event and selling beer to 160,000 people over three days. :)

And I know you Canadians defend the use of "Indy" up 'dere, but I think we need to wash that word from our lexicon.

FIndy ! ! !

devilmaster
10-12-05, 01:05 PM
unfortunate, but not surprising.

Molson has been divesting itself of anything not brewery related for a few years.

When Labatt was bought out by a larger brewer (interbrew, iirc) the parent company told Labatt to get rid of the extras. Whether merging or being flat bought out, the other brewery very simply wants the Canadian brewery for licensed brewing of other products and distribution capabilities. Sports teams, concert promoting, etc.etc. etc all go by the wayside.

Hindsight says that when Bob Singleton went to work for CC, the writing was on the wall. CC hires the staff, and they continue on. Odds are Molson will still promote for a couple more years at least.

Oh, and keep the Indy moniker. You don't go changing 20 years of local brand recognition just because the diehards hate mumbles. :rolleyes:

nrc
10-12-05, 01:14 PM
Anyway, I have a rebutle but it's probably more suited to over there than here. I just don't buy that this is good news... no matter how you slice it Molson is stepping back.

I wouldn't say that it's good news, but that doesn't mean it's bad either. The question is whether this is prompted by a change in the way Molson Sports and Entertainment does business or is it a specificly aimed at reducing their investment in Champ Car.

One good thing is that it's happening with years left on the CCWS contract. That makes it impractical for Tony George or his fronts to make a bid.

A change in ownership could very well mean a name change to eliminate the Indy reference, depending on what the current terms of it's use. While I don't blame Molson for maintaining their brand equity I don't think "Molson Grand Prix of Toronto" or "Toronto Molson Grand Prix" would drive many people off.

jonovision_man
10-12-05, 01:18 PM
Oh, and keep the Indy moniker. You don't go changing 20 years of local brand recognition just because the diehards hate mumbles. :rolleyes:

Agreed. Ask anyone in Toronto if they're going to see "Champ Cars" and you'll get blank stares. Ask them if they're going to see "the Indy" and almost all will know what you're talking about, and 100,000+ will say "yes".

jono

nrc
10-12-05, 01:19 PM

It may be that Molson bought rights to use "Indy" back before the split. Those rights may not be transferable if they sell the event.

devilmaster
10-12-05, 01:21 PM
A change in ownership could very well mean a name change to eliminate the Indy reference, depending on what the current terms of it's use. While I don't blame Molson for maintaining their brand equity I don't think "Molson Grand Prix of Toronto" or "Toronto Molson Grand Prix" would drive many people off.

No, it won't drive people off, but you'll be wasting money on more advertising telling people 'Hey! We're the CC GP of Toronto, we used to be the Molson Indy!'

I have never read a compelling arguement that convinces me that a name change is required. Personally, do I really care what the name is? No, cause i'm a diehard fan - call it 'The Lakeshore Traffic Jam of Toronto' and i'll know what it is. But seriously, if you have something that works - do it to death, and if you have something that works well, don't mess with it. Too many people know the name as it is. If someone can convince me why we should change it, i'll admit it. But from a purely logical and monetary standpoint, you have 20 years of brand recognition and loyalty from the local populous. You don't mess with that.

devilmaster
10-12-05, 01:22 PM
It may be that Molson bought rights to use "Indy" back before the split. Those rights may not be transferable if they sell the event.

Then thats an excuse for changing the name that I can accept. Won't like it, but I accept it.

pferrf1
10-12-05, 01:30 PM
The great thing about this for the series is that all that marketing effort put into the 'INDY' every year will now have dual-purpose. It will be dual marketing of the race AND the series.

Molson had a great staff working on this event. I hope CCWS can keep them around and bring back Bob S.

jonovision_man
10-12-05, 01:40 PM
Molson had a great staff working on this event. I hope CCWS can keep them around and bring back Bob S.

He was working for CCWS on San Jose last I heard. Assuming he doesn't mind the weather :D getting him back should be easy.

jono

Dr. Corkski
10-12-05, 01:43 PM
Molson won't do Champ Car's work for them anymore? No problem, drop them for a street race in North Korea. :gomer:

cameraman
10-12-05, 01:46 PM
I wonder if this extends to Molson's TV production group. Is Molson going to keep their sports tv division or are they going to be only a brewery?

oddlycalm
10-12-05, 02:18 PM
What I heard was that Molson just wanted out of auto racing and would be ramping up a big push to take curling international... :D Remember, you heard it here first. :thumbup:
http://www.cojeco.cz/attach/photos/ostatni/curling_389799/curling-1max.jpg