PDA

View Full Version : Computer Geek Questions

devilmaster
10-11-05, 03:12 PM
Hey all,

I never claim to be an expert, but i do know my way around computers, and it brings me to my dilemma.

I finished up the lastest work for my friend's dad, I am his computer support, I built both their systems, etc.etc.etc. So as a thank you, he today sent me two 50 dollar gift certificates to the store where I get all my hardware. So i'm going shopping. :)

Here's my dilemma. I am going to buy a dvd burner. I need it. I have been holding off on reinstalling my system because i have a huge collection of video files from a few tv shows i like, and I had no where to dump them while i reinstall. (the install will be fresh because of a nasty virus that my scanner didn't pick up originally, I got rid of the virus, but the system has never been the same, so its a fresh install with a wiped HD.)

here's the catch. I have no knowledge of dvd burning. Do I get -R or +R discs? Which one is better for making actual dvd's, which is better for data storage? What is a standard burn time for 8X or 16X? 16 speed seems to be relatively new - are 16X reliable?

Any and all info to learn me will be much appreciated. Thanks Folks.

racer2c
10-11-05, 03:19 PM
-R. End of story. :)

Stu
10-11-05, 04:58 PM
Most burners today should be +R and -R. Buy the discs based on what you will be playing them on. If it is just for storage, then either will work. If you want to make movie files to play on a DVD player for TV use, do some research online for what DVD players are compatable with each format.

Make sure you also get a drive that burns dual layered DVD's.

Personally, I am building a new comp and am gonna buy this DVD burner for it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16827106990

Its got everything I need and it's only 38 bucks.

Wabbit
10-11-05, 06:46 PM
Just about and DVD burner available now unless you hit the discount rack with be both +-R/+-RW. Most will be dual layer too unless it is on the really discount rack.

DVD+R disc work fine in most modern DVD players. You may have problems with some of the older ones, and some of the really cheap ones not being able to read them.

If you plan on burning movies, even at 2.4x, you will be spending more time for the movies to render than the actual burn time. That's the main reason I am looking for a faster proc right now. Everything runs fine, except movie editing.

dcracer
10-11-05, 08:48 PM
Personally i have always used -R's for DVD playback and +R's for data storage. Almost all current DVD burners are +/- dual layer writers. I've never had a playback problem using -R's, even in older stand alone DVD players.

WickerBill
10-11-05, 11:29 PM
Big +R fan here; plenty of playback issues with -Rs in my experience, but for full disclosure, it's been over a year....

devilmaster
10-11-05, 11:52 PM
Thanks everyone.

I was really tempted to go out today and get it. But i decided on restraint, and waiting till tomorrow to get it, whilst spending my time tonight doing some recce'ing, reading and learning as much as I can. (i'm very proud of myself, if I do say so... ;) )

So on my way back from a school groundbreaking tomorrow, I'll head on over to the store and pick up the drive, then probably head to another store to get some discs.

This researching does have its drawbacks, in the sense that I find other pieces of hardware I want.....

http://img.ncix.com/gif/14075.JPG

ATI AIW X800..... :eek: pant, pant, pant....