PDA

View Full Version : Champ Car Heritage

Rogue Leader
10-09-05, 05:07 PM
I know this event passed already, but every year a group who preserves the history of the Vanderbilt Cup here on Long Island holds this event. Its usually a blast, and its literally 5 minutes from my house, I'm sad I didnt make it this year!

http://www.vanderbiltcupraces.com/

Rocketdoc
10-09-05, 07:18 PM
I know this event passed already, but every year a group who preserves the history of the Vanderbilt Cup here on Long Island holds this event. Its usually a blast, and its literally 5 minutes from my house, I'm sad I didnt make it this year!

http://www.vanderbiltcupraces.com/

Historian, I'm not, but I believe that the Vanderbuilt Cup is primarily a Bridgehampton thing, and when CART took the name, the guys that were still involved, including the family that owned the name, were going to sue them.

Regardless, it predates the Indy 500 history, tradition, etc, and it was a road course type of event, so in my mind, Champ Car is the logical, and only susccessor to the "Cup".

pchall
10-09-05, 08:13 PM
Historian, I'm not, but I believe that the Vanderbuilt Cup is primarily a Bridgehampton thing, and when CART took the name, the guys that were still involved, including the family that owned the name, were going to sue them.

Regardless, it predates the Indy 500 history, tradition, etc, and it was a road course type of event, so in my mind, Champ Car is the logical, and only susccessor to the "Cup".

CART did get the permission of the Vanderbilt estate heirs to have the Vanderbilt Cup trophy reproduced (the original is part of the Smithsonian collection) and use it first as the US 500 trophy and subsequently as the championship trophy. I don't remember any legal squabbling over the use of the name or the trophy design.

I do agree that CART and now Champ Car have been the most appropriate sanctioning bodies to continue the tradition of the Vanderbilt Cup in bringing top level international motorsports competition to the United States at a variety of venues.

nrc
10-09-05, 08:23 PM
My recollection is that Champ car got permission from the Vanderbilt family to use the trophy. From this story it looks like the EMRA also had permission to use the name and there were some token items donated in exchange for keeping that organization happy.

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=615

Rocketdoc
10-09-05, 09:10 PM
My recollection is that Champ car got permission from the Vanderbilt family to use the trophy. From this story it looks like the EMRA also had permission to use the name and there were some token items donated in exchange for keeping that organization happy.

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=615

Now I remember, a member of EMRA contacted me about it at the time, and asked if I could somehow get CART to talk with them.

I couldn't, and lost track of it from then on.

Rogue Leader
10-09-05, 10:51 PM

The Vanderbilt Cup was run on what are now public roads (albet long since rebuilt and replaced). It far predated Bridgehampton, and it was run in this area (about 1.5 hours west of bridgehampton). You can still find parts of the race track if you know where to look, I stood on it once :)

Ziggy
10-10-05, 05:34 PM
Guys, why ruin another chance to reinvent history :gomer:

Them CART guys got no right in using the Vanderbuilt cup name

They should just roll over and die, Tony is responsible for breaking the heritage of the open wheel car in North America, it's his job

Now, back to your regularly scheduled trolling :gomer: :cry:

pchall
10-10-05, 07:23 PM
Ziggy is back!!!

We're gonna have fun now...

Rocketdoc
10-10-05, 09:00 PM
"...It far predated Bridgehampton...."

I know, but the EMRA guy(s) were also those who were trying to save Bridgehampton and that's what I meant, the current guys that used or represented the "Cup".

You know, "The Cup", sounds far better than the "Bork Warner Trophy", as my good friend Ziggy is want to say.

I'm aware of the storied history that pre-dates the Indy thing, and mentioned earlier that it was road racing, rather than oval trackery.

It's a shame that the density of our cities prevent that kind of racing again.