PDA

View Full Version : LBGP Celebrity Race cars

Winston Wolfe
10-08-05, 06:59 PM
Dont know if this is "off topic", but since it is CC race related, I'll post it here.

Just returned from the OC Auto Show, and saw the latest LBGP Celebrity car that they'll be trashing around the LB next year. It is the Scion tC, with similar graphics package and paint scheme. Big wheels, low pro tires, and fart can exhaust. door net, etc.... They had the Frankie Muniz name on this one. I guess it only logical they pick this one, since Toyota doesnt make the Celica in the US any longer. (too much *brand equity* in that Celica name to just let it die.... it'll be back one day)
Regardless, it'll be fun to see them thrashed about through the concrete jungle. I had a chance to drive a tC during a product test demo with the new Civic Si... the Scion was a decent ride, kinda small, but for the dough, it is a great value.
LBGP is only 5 months away.... :thumbup:

pchall
10-09-05, 07:39 AM
Scion tC? That's sort of an entry level Lexus for the ricer crowd as their beltlines expand, right?

cameraman
10-09-05, 05:50 PM
It seems like a step down from a Toyota to me...

pchall
10-09-05, 08:29 PM
It's no Celica but...

The Scion tC is a front-engine, front-wheel drive (FF layout) sports compact automobile introduced by Toyota in 2004 as a concept vehicle under its recently introduced Scion brand name. The Scion tC was designed to appeal to the Generation Y market and get them locked into the Toyota brand before any other car manufacturer could have a chance. They hoped to do so by making the standard features numerous and optional features extremely easy to add. The Scion line in general, including the tC, was designed to replace the Toyota Celica and Toyota MR2, replacing them with a sportier selection that would be more attractive to younger buyers. The Scion tC uses the chassis of the Avensis which is sold in the European market and the Camry 4 cyl 2.4 L 2AZ-FE engine. Its low price (base MSRP of $16,715 US [for the 2006 model]) is a major feature, as well as the pure pricing marketing style that Toyota has adopted. The tC also sports a standard full roof sunroof which is a very eye-catching feature. The Scion will also be offered with a Toyota Racing Development supercharger, upping the base power rating to about 200 hp (150 kW). The name tC does not fit in with its stablemates the xA and xB because the name has already been taken by Volvo for its XC70 and XC90. The Scion name and sub-Company structure is similar to an earlier successful attempt to attract a new market by Toyota - in the early 90's, Lexus was created to capture the slightly older luxury market. Now Scion is trying to do the same for a younger age group.

I suppose that this means there will be drifting again at LBGP and Cosworth will be there peddling their Duratech and Subaru goodies.