PDA

View Full Version : Proposed rules changes...... again

Cam
10-08-05, 02:37 PM
FIA is at it again. I like that they are proposing to allow tyre changes again and the qualifying format will allow for a lot more on track action than there is now. I guess the teams vote on it in a couple of weeks. The highlights are.....

• A revised weekend schedule - with Friday practice taking place from 10am to 11am and 1pm to 2pm. Saturday practice will be from 10am to 11am with qualifying running from 1pm to 2pm.

• A knock-out qualifying format which is broken up into three segments. The slowest five cars will be knocked out in the first 15 minute session, with the next slowest five knocked out in the next 15 minutes. A final 20-minute 10-car shoot-out for the top 10 grid positions will then take place - with cars running race levels of fuel. Those already knocked out can refuel prior to the race.

• Tyre changes in races will once again be allowed.

• A ban on spare cars and the third cars operated by the bottom six teams on Fridays.

• A limit of 14 people to work on a car during a pit-stop, with only one team member allowed to work on each wheel when changing tyres.

• A ban on tyre heaters

• The pre-race build up to be revised, with the pit-lane opening 45 minutes before the race starts for just five minutes. The drivers' parade will then take place once the cars are on the grid.

mapguy
10-08-05, 05:50 PM
Who wrote those new qualifying rules? Tony George? They absolutely suck. Bring back the old rules. One hour. Unlimited laps.

Tifosi24
10-08-05, 05:53 PM
It wasn't unlimited laps, it was twelve laps including the in and out laps. But, I would have to agree that they should bring back that system. You would sometimes have no action for 30 minutes, but you always knew you were guaranteed at least one half hour of straight excitement.

jonovision_man
10-08-05, 06:33 PM
What a crap qualifying format... so if you're in the 8th, 9th, or 10th position, you're stuck racing on the fuel you qualified with, while 11th had a chance to top up the tank?

B.S.

jono

Methanolandbrats
10-08-05, 08:09 PM
Die Max, Die. Die now you Mother******. :mad:

coolhand
10-08-05, 08:34 PM
Old fashioned qualifying is prettymutch thebest solution

What i like there is, the ban on tire warmers, limited amount of pit crew and tire changes.

what should happen is make friday a big day of on track action. have about 6 hours of opentrack for teams to test and stuff. and in turn cut down on private testing where the fans cannot see it.

Cam
10-08-05, 09:40 PM
. and in turn cut down on private testing where the fans cannot see it.
*cough* Ferarri *cough*

Those *******s will never agree to that!.....

mapguy
10-09-05, 07:06 AM
It wasn't unlimited laps, it was twelve laps including the in and out laps. But, I would have to agree that they should bring back that system. You would sometimes have no action for 30 minutes, but you always knew you were guaranteed at least one half hour of straight excitement.

Actually, the 12 lap rule was brought in during the early 90's. Before that there was no limit on laps.

TedN
10-09-05, 09:49 AM
Who wrote those new qualifying rules? Tony George? They absolutely suck. Bring back the old rules. One hour. Unlimited laps.

Why bother when most of the better teams only came out in last 15 minutes.

Ted

Andrew Longman
10-09-05, 11:09 AM
• A revised weekend schedule - with Friday practice taking place from 10am to 11am and 1pm to 2pm. Saturday practice will be from 10am to 11am with qualifying running from 1pm to 2pm. Good. At present there is not enough on track given the price of a ticket

• A knock-out qualifying format which is broken up into three segments. The slowest five cars will be knocked out in the first 15 minute session, with the next slowest five knocked out in the next 15 minutes. A final 20-minute 10-car shoot-out for the top 10 grid positions will then take place - with cars running race levels of fuel. Those already knocked out can refuel prior to the race. Bad. Just let them run with whatever fuel they want and let them refuel. What does all this accomplish?

• Tyre changes in races will once again be allowed. Duh

• A ban on spare cars and the third cars operated by the bottom six teams on Fridays. And the point is? I guess its to keep the bottom on the bottom and top on the top

• A limit of 14 people to work on a car during a pit-stop, with only one team member allowed to work on each wheel when changing tyres. Good. Safer. Other series work with fewer over the wall. Slower pit times may take away some pit strategy though

• A ban on tyre heaters Good. Lets see who has real talent on cold tires. Slower out lap times may also take away some pit strategy

• The pre-race build up to be revised, with the pit-lane opening 45 minutes before the race starts for just five minutes. The drivers' parade will then take place once the cars are on the grid. Whatever.

On whole an improvement but the qualifying format is still too over thought. And it is probably the most important thing except the tyre changes. Max just need to go away.

Mike Kellner
10-09-05, 04:54 PM
I like the idea of oval track rules where you get a run on an empty track. I would make it inverse order of practice times, perhaps using Friday times, so there would be more action on Friday.

I like the idea of having the track open for testing all day Friday, and reducing test days after the season starts. Perhaps they could have a happy hour Fridays, where after the testing, there was an open qualifying session, which set the order for final qualifying. Open testing on Fridays would be a boon to small teams, because they could do a lot of testing for no extra expense other than the cost of running the car. I would allow everyone to bring test cars for Friday, and then on Saturday before the track opened, declare which three cars were the cars they would compete with, 2 race cars, one backup.

I would dump the engine rules, other than to say you had to start the engine and tires you qualified with, or go to the back of the grid. I would allow a punctured or cut tire to be replaced without penalty.

And I would go back to slicks, and dump all limits on tire use. When it costs a quarter billion US Dollars a year to have a winning team, limiting tire use does not save significant money.

Too bad we aren't in charge, we'd have it fixed in no time. :laugh:

mk

Insomniac
10-10-05, 11:15 AM
A knock-out qualifying format which is broken up into three segments. The slowest five cars will be knocked out in the first 15 minute session, with the next slowest five knocked out in the next 15 minutes. A final 20-minute 10-car shoot-out for the top 10 grid positions will then take place - with cars running race levels of fuel. Those already knocked out can refuel prior to the race.

Not sure how this works when you get unlimited laps. You fill the tank at the beginning of the session and that's it? I can't magine any other way, otherwise they go out light early, get the fast times, then go out for a b.s. run on race fuel. That could be interesting just to see how the session goes. Go out to get a faster lap or save the fuel for the race... Combined with no tire warmers, they can't just go do 1 lap and come back in either.

Hard Driver
10-10-05, 01:21 PM
The new proposed qualifying format is idiotic.

The other rules are OK. I think tire changes should be allowed and limiting the tire changers and tire warmers is OK.

But different fuel rules by how fast you are is dumb. How many 9th place teams are going to slow down to get fuel as an 11 th place team and other dumb tactics that will be introduced. I still don't know what was wrong with the 12 laps in an hour format. So, it was slow at first. A lot better than this new crap format.

Opposite Lock
10-10-05, 01:46 PM
I wonder how many pages in the rule book it will take to explain how the "knock-out" format would be affected by rain during part of the quali time? Might be more fair to just draw names out of a fishbowl if that happens.

Dirty Sanchez
10-10-05, 02:16 PM
huh?

how could you not understand it? if it rains, it rains. what's the big deal? everyone is on track at the same time anyway. positions are determined by the times in any given session. once you've advance past the first and second knockout... times are re-set at zero essentially for the next "round" of quallies. drivers in the top 10 will set three qualifying times but its the position relative to the rest of the drivers in a given session that determine the grid... not your best time of the afternoon.

I think it has potential.

like others, I think the race fuel bit is bush and should be dropped.

interesting to note that ron dennis now wants single lap qualifying to continue into next year after being opposed to it initially :gomer:

also ironic that max's regulations, which everyone seems to despise, are once again responsible for another outstanding race. same with imola... prolly the next best race of the year.

oddlycalm
10-14-05, 04:26 PM
It seems to have escaped Max that the more the FIA tinkers with the rules the worse the races get. Over the years there have occasionally been weather related flukes with some of the faster cars starting from the back of the grid, so there's no genius in that. Unless there are safety issues involved the FIA should do their jobs and keep silent and leave the competition rules alone.

"Changes to save money" is one of the most frequently heard oxymorons in racing. The fact of the matter is that the teams and engine suppliers will spend every dime they have available and not a dime more or less. Just designing and building new 2.4L V8 engines from a blank sheet of paper is going to cost hundreds of millions collectively let alone the money to follow to get up the development curve. So where is the upside of the 2.4 V8 specification? Reduce power? Sure, for one season perhaps at a cost that could run small country for a year or two. There are easier ways to get to the same place for far less money, so talking about money saving with a straight face is absurd. By extension the same goes for the rationale about with making it easier for teams to enter F1. It's a hell of a lot harder for the poorer teams when rule changes make mandate new cars and new engines. No way Minardi was going to be able to field a V8.

Max has done a lot of good things during his time at the FIA, but his time is over.

oc

Jervis Tetch 1
10-17-05, 09:27 AM
Hell, I'm just getting used to the old rules. :rolleyes:

cameraman
10-17-05, 12:16 PM
No way Minardi was going to be able to field a V8.

oc

If Red Bull is going to run the Cosworth V8 next year, why wouldn't they also run the Cosworth V8 in their Toro Rosso cars?