PDA

View Full Version : Panoz?

The Doctor
10-07-05, 11:37 PM
"The inside" says the new chassis will be revealed on Tuesday. Panoz will be the constructor. If true, I'm very surprised at the choice to go with Panoz instead of Lola. I certainly don't doubt Panoz/Elan's capabilities, though, and am anxious to see what the new car will look like come Tuesday.

Sean O'Gorman
10-08-05, 12:03 AM
I'm sure Haas loves this decision.

coolhand
10-08-05, 03:58 AM
why should we placate him? he is only the distributer.

and i doubt he would leave the series over it, add that to Newman not wanting to leave.

extramundane
10-08-05, 10:00 AM
It's all part of Don's plan to get even with Gerry Forsythe. :gomer:

gjc2
10-08-05, 04:38 PM
If Panoz is the manufacturer that would free Lola to produce an IRL car. If that were to happen I think Carl would want to have a team there, but I don't think he would leave Champ Car. Everyone can see that the tide is clearly turning in our direction.

George

nrc
10-08-05, 04:52 PM
Starting an IRL team in 2006? Talk about missig the wave. Unless Toyota shows some sign that they really are serious about competing next season I don't see any reason that anyone would pay Haas to race at any event but Indy.

gjc2
10-08-05, 05:05 PM
Starting an IRL team in 2006? Talk about missig the wave. Unless Toyota shows some sign that they really are serious about competing next season I don't see any reason that anyone would pay Haas to race at any event but Indy.

If other teams are buying chassis and parts from him he is going to have a presence in the IRL, he may want field a team.

George

pchall
10-08-05, 06:40 PM
Unless Lola just happens to have a set of plans for an IRL sled sitting around, I think it might be a bit late to have crapwagon ready for Homestead 2006.

audi quattro
10-08-05, 07:42 PM
If Panoz is the manufacturer that would free Lola to produce an IRL car. If that were to happen I think Carl would want to have a team there, but I don't think he would leave Champ Car. Everyone can see that the tide is clearly turning in our direction.

George
But conversely, doesn't the earl only allow their constructors to be in the earl only?
Isn't that why lola was denied previously?
In which case, does that mean Panoz would drop the earl for champcar?

Rocketdoc
10-08-05, 08:06 PM
But conversely, doesn't the earl only allow their constructors to be in the earl only?
Isn't that why lola was denied previously?
In which case, does that mean Panoz would drop the earl for champcar?

Rules...tradition...common sense are not an IRL requirement.

extramundane
10-08-05, 09:03 PM
If Panoz is the manufacturer that would free Lola to produce an IRL car.

I think Lola's got enough other projects to keep them busy even if they don't get the CC chassis deal.

cart7
10-08-05, 09:26 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the current irl chassis is set to go at least 2 more years. Kinda late in the run to be unveiling a chassis on a shrinking number of teams over there.

trauma1
10-11-05, 08:50 AM
the A! contract is bring in $$ for LOLA and they would have to hire a butt load of peple to make ccws chassis and keep up demand for 2 series, and that may have been the thinking plus the price of LOLA bid may have been high , in relationship to the cost of the A1 chassis and what they were going to charge cc for a chassis

oddlycalm
10-11-05, 02:22 PM
Without a doubt this all came down to numbers. Lola currently has a lot of business and Panoz was hungrier. I've dealt in markets with prices similar to Champ Cars to F1 cars for the last 25yrs and I've seen time and again how substantial price differences on large orders frequently trump a whole range of political concerns. Terms also play a big part. Lola may have wanted a larger initial deposit and progress payments whereas Panoz may have waived the progress payments or agreed to smaller amounts. When you are talking about $ millions the issue of who gets to hold the cash during the build cycle is always a serious negotiating point.

oc

pchall
10-11-05, 07:21 PM
I'm sure its all about the Mario Dominguez replacement parts concession.