PDA

View Full Version : Drop the puck, damnit!

dando
10-04-05, 11:08 PM
10/05/05. Drop it, damnit!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/preview2005/index

Rick Nash is DA MAN. :thumbup: :thumbup:

-Kevin

Dr. Corkski
10-04-05, 11:18 PM
Rick Nash is DA MAN.Like the #1 pick he's going up against tomorrow, he is going to find himself surrounded by AHL scrub level talent.

RacinM3
10-05-05, 11:46 AM
Yes! My first Kings game is this Sunday!!! Saturday I'm going to UCLA/Cal at the Rose Bowl. It's going to be an all-sports weekend!

spinner26
10-05-05, 12:31 PM
Yes! My first Kings game is this Sunday!!! Saturday I'm going to UCLA/Cal at the Rose Bowl. It's going to be an all-sports weekend!

Three years ago tix were $75 a pop at the pond, what are they now?

dando
10-05-05, 12:31 PM
Like the #1 pick he's going up against tomorrow, he is going to find himself surrounded by AHL scrub level talent.
If you bother to actually catch a CBJs game, rather than just blindly piss on you will be impressed with Brule. The kid good and gonna get way better. Zherdev is also very impressive, and will make for a formidable 1st line w/Nash. The question will be whether the #2 and 3 lines can produce. Foote added to the D should help solidify the blueline, and LeClaire is the surprise in G so far. He, too, is a star in the making. Get back to me in April.

-Kevin

devilmaster
10-05-05, 12:39 PM
SI predicts Nash will win the Rocket Richard...

They also predict Toronto will be the biggest dissapointment in the East.

I predict they'll have the biggest injured list pretty much all season....

So let's drop the puck already! I got 2 fantasy teams that'll probably be in last place after tonite.....

dando
10-05-05, 12:49 PM
SI predicts Nash will win the Rocket Richard...

They also predict Toronto will be the biggest dissapointment in the East.

I predict they'll have the biggest injured list pretty much all season....

So let's drop the puck already! I got 2 fantasy teams that'll probably be in last place after tonite.....
First Nash has to get on the ice to win top scorer. :( Injured in the second to last practice before pre-season started...he still questionable for tonight. I can't wait to see him and Sydney on the ice together in January. :cool:

The Leafies off-season was underwhelming to say the least. Did they ever get the Nolan situation resolved?

I perused the TSN power rankings (http://tsn.ca/nhl/feature.asp?fid=548), and I was miffed that they had Boston @ #2. :saywhat: I think the new rules and rosters are gonna take awhile to register on some folks. I really found it difficult to grasp all the new rules during the exhibition games I was @ the past weeks. It truly is a whole new game.

-Kevin

Tifosi24
10-05-05, 01:12 PM
I am looking forward to the season as well, too bad I don't have cable, so I won't be seeing many games. Can't forget that the college season starts this weekend too.

devilmaster
10-05-05, 01:22 PM
First Nash has to get on the ice to win top scorer. :( Injured in the second to last practice before pre-season started...he still questionable for tonight. I can't wait to see him and Sydney on the ice together in January. :cool:

I think Sidney will take time to adjust. Part of me thinks that all draft picks should play 1 season on the farms before they are called up. And any owner who calls their number 1 pick the 'michael jordan of hockey' should just be beat up with sticks like God was in Dogma just cause.

The Leafies off-season was underwhelming to say the least. Did they ever get the Nolan situation resolved? Yes and No. They put in the paperwork to release him, if they lose the grievance hearing. But I don't think that hearing has happened yet. Either way, he's off the roster. But the Leafs have thrown away all their draft picks for years, and the scouting staff was questionable to begin with. Carlo Coliacovo has been on the bubble for a couple years now, and still couldn't break into the team this season. And he's really the best farm player they have. That tells you something.

I perused the TSN power rankings (http://tsn.ca/nhl/feature.asp?fid=548), and I was miffed that they had Boston @ #2. :saywhat: I think the new rules and rosters are gonna take awhile to register on some folks. I really found it difficult to grasp all the new rules during the exhibition games I was @ the past weeks. It truly is a whole new game.

-Kevin

The rules aren't much different than versions of the international game. The OHL has taken some of the rules too, and I've caught a couple of their games - it'll get sorted quickly. I still officially hate shootouts and always will The complaints will increase after the first dual shutout or 1-1 game is forced to have a winner. Especially dual shutouts... How crappy is that? 2 Goalies stand on their head for 65 minutes and then one is forced to lose the game. But hey, i'm not the 'fan' they're trying to reach.

The only thing that pisses me off more is the fact that I have board meetings starting at 4 and going probably till midnight. I'd like to be sitting back, order up NHL centre ice, and try to make up for all the missed NHL action... ;)

Ankf00
10-05-05, 01:32 PM
new $ rules play into Lou Lamoriello's hands. 3 cups with a bottom third payroll. Too bad they couldn't hold onto Nieder or convince Nieder Jr. to join :(

dando
10-05-05, 01:49 PM
new $ rules play into Lou Lamoriello's hands. 3 cups with a bottom third payroll. Too bad they couldn't hold onto Nieder or convince Nieder Jr. to join :(
Oh dear. Don't tell me yer a Devils fan?!? Jeebus, like I need more reasons to h8 you. :D

The new $$$ rules will help Lou, as will the new rink. However, the new playing rules will not suit the Devils style. If nothing else, I will forever hate the Devils for creating the dreaded trap. :shakehead

-Kevin

dando
10-05-05, 01:56 PM
I think Sidney will take time to adjust. Part of me thinks that all draft picks should play 1 season on the farms before they are called up. And any owner who calls their number 1 pick the 'michael jordan of hockey' should just be beat up with sticks like God was in Dogma just cause.

The rules aren't much different than versions of the international game. The OHL has taken some of the rules too, and I've caught a couple of their games - it'll get sorted quickly. I still officially hate shootouts and always will The complaints will increase after the first dual shutout or 1-1 game is forced to have a winner. Especially dual shutouts... How crappy is that? 2 Goalies stand on their head for 65 minutes and then one is forced to lose the game. But hey, i'm not the 'fan' they're trying to reach.

The only thing that pisses me off more is the fact that I have board meetings starting at 4 and going probably till midnight. I'd like to be sitting back, order up NHL centre ice, and try to make up for all the missed NHL action... ;)

Well, Nash was an exception as a rookie, but yeah, Darryl has some high expectations to live up to....especially with the $$$ Super Mario has $pent on the Pengies. Keep your eye on Brule. This kid has spunk and talent. He had the 'hawks so pizzled last Fri it was hilarious watching them trying to go after him.

The international game is not widely followed here in the states outside of southern Canada (MN, WI). ;)

Sorry about yer luck. I'll be sure to toast one in yer honor as I settle into my seat @ 7...now, if I can just figger out what to do with the wife and kid. :D

-Kevin

Ankf00
10-05-05, 02:08 PM
Oh dear. Don't tell me yer a Devils fan?!? Jeebus, like I need more reasons to h8 you. :D

earth to kev: it took how many hockey threads on OC for you to notice? F U Flyer F#!(s :p

The new $$$ rules will help Lou, as will the new rink. However, the new playing rules will not suit the Devils style. If nothing else, I will forever hate the Devils for creating the dreaded trap. :shakehead -Kevin

and I'm sure you equally hate the avs and wings for running the same sh#t on different days ;)

with guys like gionta, gomez, rafalski, almo the new rules shouldn't have such a hard effect, stevens retired and colin white's worthless, nieder would've made things great on the blue line though...

dando
10-05-05, 02:15 PM
earth to kev: it took how many hockey threads on OC for you to notice? F U Flyer F#!(s :p

and I'm sure you equally hate the avs and wings for running the same sh#t on different days ;)

with guys like gionta, gomez, rafalski, almo the new rules shouldn't have such a hard effect, stevens retired and colin white's worthless, nieder would've made things great on the blue line though...
How long has it been since we've had hockey to discuss? I wasn't posting much on OC back when hockey was playing last. Marty in G. 'nuff said. The Devils alwys have something up their sleeve. :(

-Kevin

RacinM3
10-05-05, 02:24 PM
Three years ago tix were $75 a pop at the pond, what are they now?

Don't know about the Pond, but my season seats ran me $52.50 per ticket, ice level, about 15 rows from the boards, home goal end of the rink. I like the end seats...easier the see play developing. But I HATE the new netting! :flame:

Dr. Corkski
10-05-05, 02:34 PM
In other words Brule is Tuomo Ruutu version 2.0, but with even less size. Outside of your 1st round picks where you have sucked enough to end up with lottery picks every year, you have nothing. You guys were even desperate enough to sign An_y _elmore. On the brightside you might suck enough to get a lottery pick so you can finally select a dman that can skate with Klesla. :laugh:

CART T. Katz
10-05-05, 03:33 PM
does this mean that i can pull out pictures of maltby's on ice beautification surgery again?

RED WINGS SUCK
LET'S GO AVS
AND DROP THE FRIGGIN PUCK ALREADY!!!

Ankf00
10-05-05, 04:08 PM
god bless hockey, the only north american professional sport left with true rivalries (as in plural)...

dando
10-05-05, 07:36 PM
god bless hockey, the only north american professional sport left with true rivalries (as in plural)...
Sox/Yankees, Dodger/Gints, and some would argue Cubs/Cards are still heated rivalries in MLB, Ank. Dodgers/Reds was a classic tilt in the 70s and 80s, but realignment squashed that one.

-Kevin

dando
10-05-05, 07:44 PM
In other words Brule is Tuomo Ruutu version 2.0, but with even less size. Outside of your 1st round picks where you have sucked enough to end up with lottery picks every year, you have nothing. You guys were even desperate enough to sign An_y _elmore. On the brightside you might suck enough to get a lottery pick so you can finally select a dman that can skate with Klesla. :laugh:
Dude, this is the 5th year for the CBJs. How many years did it take TBL to win the Cup from expansion? It takes time to build the right way, as opposed to just writing checks. Brule has been compared to Douger Gilmour, BTW. What he lacks in size he makes up for in spunk. Let me know when you actually watch a CBJs game, and we'll compare notes. I'm not claiming they will win the Cup this season, but they are on the way up.

-Kevin

Ankf00
10-05-05, 07:44 PM
dodgers/giants left the game with lasorda, free agency is teh suck.

dando
10-05-05, 07:48 PM
Don't know about the Pond, but my season seats ran me $52.50 per ticket, ice level, about 15 rows from the boards, home goal end of the rink. I like the end seats...easier the see play developing. But I HATE the new netting! :flame:
Describes my seats and thoughts on the netting exactly. However, Brittany Cecile died after a CBJs game, so the reason for the netting hits home hard (especially since I'm considering taking our ~2 year old daughter to a game).

-Kevin

dando
10-05-05, 07:49 PM
I am looking forward to the season as well, too bad I don't have cable, so I won't be seeing many games. Can't forget that the college season starts this weekend too.
Looking forward to the Puckeyes and Badgers playing outdoors in Lambeau. :cool:

-Kevin

dando
10-05-05, 07:51 PM
dodgers/giants left the game with lasorda, free agency is teh suck.
Yes and no. Taking each other out of the playoffs a coupla years or so ago helped stoke it a bit. :) Hey, I still feel it here in cowtown. It would help if either team was actually good the past five years or so, rather than saying we suck less than the rest of the NL West. :shakehead

-Kevin

Dr. Corkski
10-05-05, 08:19 PM
Dude, this is the 5th year for the CBJs. How many years did it take TBL to win the Cup from expansion? It takes time to build the right way, as opposed to just writing checks. Brule has been compared to Douger Gilmour, BTW. What he lacks in size he makes up for in spunk. Let me know when you actually watch a CBJs game, and we'll compare notes. I'm not claiming they will win the Cup this season, but they are on the way up.

-KevinI have seen them play, just not this preseason. Aside from Brule I have seen most of their other players enough to know what I am talking about. Their problems have little to do with the fact that they only came into the league in 2000, because the other team that came into the league with them made the playoffs once already and got to the conference finals with a smaller payroll, while the Blue Jackets have been amongst the 5 worst teams in the leagues on a regular basis. This team's headed for the lottery again this year.

Guess what, your boy Brule is supposed to be playing on the 4th line tonight. :gomer:

Dr. Corkski
10-06-05, 01:21 AM
Opening night observations:

http://www.washingtoncaps.com/assets/homepage/105.jpg
:thumbup:

Sorry dando, but this Blow Jackets team has suck written all over them.

Leafs sign Lindros and Allison, and Sundin ends up getting hurt, then proceed to lose in the shootout. :laugh:

As expected the Flyers had offense, but also an AHL level defense.

Always nice to see the Pens lose. :thumbup:

LA snatches defeat from the jaws of victory.

The much overrated Aebischer looking at a mediocre season ahead of him now that he doesn't have much of a defense left in Colorado.

Rick Dipietro sucks.

Best matchup of the night: Sharks at Preds. Would not surprise me at all to see those two teams in the Western conference finals.

coolhand
10-06-05, 05:34 AM
Sharks Fan here.
:)

TKGAngel
10-06-05, 08:06 AM
Opening night observations:

Rick Dipietro sucks.

And the Islanders lost to a team that only picked up one "big-name" free agent in the off-season in Teppo Neuiminenn (sp). The crowd boooed everytime Satan or Zhitnik touched the puck, and the announcers noted that Satan took 4-5 good hits from his former teammates (not that they were glad to see him gone or anything). I've got high hopes for the Sabres.

Last night was a good night - hockey's back and Lost was on.

Ankf00
10-06-05, 09:18 AM
And the Islanders lost to a team that only picked up one "big-name" free agent in the off-season in Teppo Neuiminenn (sp). The crowd boooed everytime Satan or Zhitnik touched the puck, and the announcers noted that Satan took 4-5 good hits from his former teammates (not that they were glad to see him gone or anything). I've got high hopes for the Sabres.

Last night was a good night - hockey's back and Lost was on.

my roomie's a sabres guy too, I'm going to enjoy taunting y'all this season :D

Sean O'Gorman
10-06-05, 12:03 PM
Rick Dipietro sucks.

So how many times are we going to see you type that phrase over the next 8-9 months?

Dr. Corkski
10-06-05, 12:08 PM
So how many times are we going to see you type that phrase over the next 8-9 months?Until I drop his arse from fantasy team for Ovechkin. :thumbup:

TKGAngel
10-06-05, 12:28 PM
my roomie's a sabres guy too, I'm going to enjoy taunting y'all this season :D

We'll see about that. ;)

Maybe I've drunk the front office Kool-Aid, but I've still got a good feeling about this season. Miller's been good in goal, McKee and crew have been hitting everything but the beer vendors, we've got those speedy guys (Briere, Connolly, Afinogenov, etc) that the new rules are supposed to benefit, and a good farm team in the Amerks.

Just about the only thing they could do better would be to get rid of the raging goat head logo / red & black color scheme and return to the traditional blue and gold crossed sabre scheme.

tllips
10-06-05, 12:40 PM
We'll see about that. ;)

Maybe I've drunk the front office Kool-Aid, but I've still got a good feeling about this season. Miller's been good in goal, McKee and crew have been hitting everything but the beer vendors, we've got those speedy guys (Briere, Connolly, Afinogenov, etc) that the new rules are supposed to benefit, and a good farm team in the Amerks.

They also just picked up a backup goaltender from the Blackhawks and we all know what happened the last time they picked up a backup goaltender from the Blackhawks... :)

TKGAngel
10-06-05, 12:55 PM
They also just picked up a backup goaltender from the Blackhawks and we all know what happened the last time they picked up a backup goaltender from the Blackhawks... :)

He turned into a primadonna who accosted a reporter in the arena hallway and at the end of his career managed to end up having a whole town hate him? ;)

And another goalie? What is Regier on? They already dont know what to do with Miller, Biron and Noronen.

dando
10-06-05, 01:10 PM
Sorry dando, but this Blow Jackets team has suck written all over them.
We'll see. Losing Nasher in the 2nd period dint help, and the PP has been pathetic in pre-season and the opener. Outshot the Caps, but dint put the biscuit in the net. Ovechkin is as advertised. Fritsche is as well. :thumbup:

-Kevin

dando
10-06-05, 01:19 PM
I have seen them play, just not this preseason. Aside from Brule I have seen most of their other players enough to know what I am talking about. Their problems have little to do with the fact that they only came into the league in 2000, because the other team that came into the league with them made the playoffs once already and got to the conference finals with a smaller payroll, while the Blue Jackets have been amongst the 5 worst teams in the leagues on a regular basis. This team's headed for the lottery again this year.

Guess what, your boy Brule is supposed to be playing on the 4th line tonight. :gomer:
The Wild rode a red hot G and Jack was a better choice as coach. Your point? CBJs were a few points from the playoffs in season 1, and underachieved in years 2-4. I'll wager that w/in 2 years they will be a dominating team.

Brule starting on the 4th line is no surprise. He's an 18 year-old kid, holmes. It also won't be a surprise if he ends up centering the top line w/Veebs and Nasher @ some point this season. Oh and he has an assist in his first game. :thumbup:

-Kevin

Ankf00
10-06-05, 01:46 PM

they were promptly GI'ed by a Texas team? :gomer: :D

tllips
10-06-05, 02:13 PM
they were promptly GI'ed by a Texas team? :gomer: :D

A bunch of Cheaters. Hull's foot was in the crease. Should have been NO GOAL!

(I can't believe I'm defending Buffalo! :saywhat: )

devilmaster
10-06-05, 02:39 PM
Can't wait till Showboat Ovechkin gets drilled from someone who remembers the World Jr Championships....

If Dion Phanouf plays a regular shift, I wonder if he'll make Ovechkin cry again.... :thumbup:

Dr. Corkski
10-06-05, 03:00 PM
The Wild rode a red hot G and Jack was a better choice as coach. Your point? CBJs were a few points from the playoffs in season 1, and underachieved in years 2-4. I'll wager that w/in 2 years they will be a dominating team.

Brule starting on the 4th line is no surprise. He's an 18 year-old kid, holmes. It also won't be a surprise if he ends up centering the top line w/Veebs and Nasher @ some point this season. Oh and he has an assist in his first game. :thumbup:

-KevinThe Blow Jackets have never even gotten close to a sniff of the playoffs.

00-01 missed by 19 pts
01-02 missed by 37
02-03 missed by 23
03-04 missed by 29
05-06 still sucks

I suspect you are going to be saying "oh well, at least we are going to dominate 2 years from now" for at least the next 4-5 years.

Sean O'Gorman
10-06-05, 03:20 PM
Until I drop his arse from fantasy team for Ovechkin. :thumbup:

Do you have Vladikov on your team?

Ankf00
10-06-05, 04:05 PM
A bunch of Cheaters. Hull's foot was in the crease. Should have been NO GOAL!

(I can't believe I'm defending Buffalo! :saywhat: )

the Sabres' staff at Adelphia was responsible for letting the press on to the ice immediately after the goal, the Sabres' staff at Adelphi was responsible for setting off the championship festivities immediately after the goal. the Sabres' staff at Adelphia is who you can blame, and well... :p and :p and :p neener neener!

RacinM3
10-06-05, 04:26 PM
LA snatches defeat from the jaws of victory.

Ughhh. That was UGLY. 4-0 at the end of 1, then lose 4-5. Brutal. I think it was my fault. I got home late from work, turned on the tv, it's 4-0. I get comfortable, and proceed to watch 5 unanswered goals.

Once again, the officiating sucks. I cannot believe that one team can commit zero penalties in a period while getting 5 power plays. Especially with the "new enforcement". I saw what seemed to be the usual number of non-calls.

dando
10-06-05, 04:41 PM
The Blow Jackets have never even gotten close to a sniff of the playoffs.

00-01 missed by 19 pts

They were w/in single digits until a rash of injuries hit them down the stretch, and they lacked depth to compensate.

You still pissy after Rodgers got dissed in the draft? :gomer:

-Kevin

Ankf00
10-06-05, 05:55 PM
You still pissy after Rodgers got dissed in the draft? :gomer:
-Kevin

he's still feeling the 45-31 to 2nd tier Sand Aggy in the Holiday Bowl :gomer:

dando
10-06-05, 06:54 PM
he's still feeling the 45-31 to 2nd tier Sand Aggy in the Holiday Bowl :gomer:
Well, dat comment was in reserve. :D

Peace, Cork. Opinions are like @ssholes....and yers stinks. :gomer:

-Kevin

TKGAngel
10-06-05, 07:08 PM
the Sabres' staff at Adelphia was responsible for letting the press on to the ice immediately after the goal, the Sabres' staff at Adelphi was responsible for setting off the championship festivities immediately after the goal. the Sabres' staff at Adelphia is who you can blame, and well... :p and :p and :p neener neener!

Practically the entire building knew Hull's foot was in the crease. The league didn't want to admit they were wrong and have to retract the Cup once it had been awarded. That's the NHL's fault, not the Sabres/Adelphia fault.

You can, however, blame the Adelphia staff for the demise of the Empire Sports Network and the games now having to be on MSG.

(I can't believe I'm defending Buffalo! )

Eh, we've got snow and a city government that doesn't know its rear end from a whole in the wall, but we've got chicken wings and good cold Canadian beer, so we're a halfway decent place.

Ankf00
10-06-05, 07:11 PM
sorta hard to call the goal off after the Sabres' Org already conceded defeat and let the press onto the ice and began the Cup presentation motions... that and Hull had possession. GOAL!!! :gomer:

and, whatever, neener neener NEENER :p
too easy to taunt Buffalo teams... my cousin despises me for it, and he lives in Dallas now too :rofl:

he does have Syracuse bball though :mad:

Dr. Corkski
10-06-05, 07:14 PM
I don't actually know enough about hockey, so I needed to start talking about college football since that's all I know.

-Kevin :gomer:

dando
10-06-05, 07:19 PM
we've got chicken wings

Wings = BW3 = Cbus. :cool: :D

-Kevin

dando
10-06-05, 07:20 PM
:gomer:
Corky, yer a dick. :D

-Kevin

Dr. Corkski
10-06-05, 07:22 PM
Corky, yer a dick. :D

-KevinThat's almost a complement for me. :laugh:

dando
10-06-05, 07:30 PM
That's almost a complement for me. :laugh:

:p

-Kevin

TKGAngel
10-06-05, 08:03 PM
sorta hard to call the goal off after the Sabres' Org already conceded defeat and let the press onto the ice and began the Cup presentation motions... that and Hull had possession. GOAL!!!

and, whatever, neener neener NEENER
too easy to taunt Buffalo teams... my cousin despises me for it, and he lives in Dallas now too

he does have Syracuse bball though :mad:

I'm not sure which was the worse Buffalo sports moment, Norwood's wide right field goal, or the foot in the crease. Not that Buffalo sports fans are bitter or have long memories or anything. :)

Does anyone know if the CBC settled the strike with their broadcasting people, so that Hockey Night in Canada will actually have announcers (unlike the CFL games lately)?

Sean O'Gorman
10-06-05, 09:53 PM
Wings = BW3 = Cbus. :cool: :D

-Kevin

= babysitting drunken violent Ank. :gomer:

Ankf00
10-06-05, 10:52 PM
= babysitting drunken violent Ank. :gomer:

...and I quote "I had a blast" -O'Gorman

and quit acting like you were some virtuous example of soberiety and abstinence :gomer:

and I still say screw that ho for playing quarters with my beer :mad: it wasn't miller lite, it was mf'ing Bass!

devilmaster
10-07-05, 01:33 AM
Can I interrupt the three way j***off fest with some hockey talk kids? Thanks. ;)

Anyways, Dan Wetzel's column scores with an explanation of Bettman's destruction of hockey.....

I think you need to find a different sport to cover. The fan base is back. The NHLPA leader who took his players down the primrose path is gone, and for the sport's sake, Bettman is back. I, too, find it difficult at times to support owners in any sport, but I don't need to worry about where my next interview is coming from.

Take off the sunglasses and look at both sides of the question before writing a story. Ironically this sport was saved by the owners that created the problem. Do you think Bettman, or for that matter anyone at his level in any other sport, has such desired control of the owners? Bettman did what had to be done.

The NHL was saved by this guy whether anyone likes it or not. Look at the attendance figures after tonight's games. I've already heard the estimated numbers. Don't talk to me about the evils of a Gary Bettman.

Terry M. Anderson
Newcastle, Wash.

You are kidding, right? Gary Bettman created the mess he has supposedly cleaned up. It's not like he just got here. He's been commissioner for 12 years. There is no debating me on this one.

Wednesday night, I tried to explain to a non-hockey fan what Bettman did to the NHL. I went with this:

Imagine if someone who never had attended an NFL game replaces Paul Tagliabue as league commissioner. He decides Green Bay, Denver, Buffalo, Indy and so on are useless markets and helps orchestrate franchise moves to untapped mega-metro areas such as Paris, Beijing, Berlin and London. Then he ushers in an era of expansion to Islamabad, Kabul, Saigon and Seoul, even though anyone with a brain knows those cities aren't clamoring for football.

Surprise, surprise, those franchises struggle to capture the imagination of the cities unless they are in deep playoff runs. The expansion dilutes the talent and weakens traditional rivalries. Because the new commissioner doesn't understand football, he reacts too slowly to thwart a new defensive strategy that effectively eliminates the forward pass and turns every game into a 3-0 field-position fest.

Traditional Sunday afternoon game day is virtually eliminated in favor of Tuesday nights. Television ratings continue to sag so he decides what is needed are gimmicks such as glowing footballs.

Spending on players continues to soar, in part because he agrees to a horrendously lopsided collective bargaining agreement that sends competitive balance out of whack. To keep the franchises afloat amid the lost revenue of his idiotic run, now that TV won't pay much to broadcast the NFL, he locks out the players in an effort to drastically cut costs.

We lose an entire NFL season. When it returns, only QVC will broadcast the games (and limited games at that) and the commissioner eliminates some old-time rivalries so Green Bay never plays Chicago again. (Seriously, in the NHL, Detroit and Toronto no longer play each other in some seasons, including this one.)

And then he smiles and insists he was right all along.

If Bettman did this to the NFL, someone would have shot him (not saying it is justified, I am just saying). Because Canadians are more peaceful and own fewer firearms, they just boo the heck out of him and throw paper cups at him.

The NHL is back, yes. But 12 years into Bettman's run, it is absolutely impossible to declare anything but an abject failure.

Halle-Freakin-Lujah! Speak the good word, Brother Dan! ;)

devilmaster
10-07-05, 01:39 AM
Does anyone know if the CBC settled the strike with their broadcasting people, so that Hockey Night in Canada will actually have announcers (unlike the CFL games lately)?

Tentative deal was reached this past Monday. The talk all along was that hockey was going to force everyone to make a deal.

CBC management claims they could have broadcasted the games without the play by play guys (which happened, like you said, with the CFL. A few people I talked to really liked the format without announcers. We CC fans get that if we watch practice on RD - no announcers there either - and I do like that.)

And on a side note, TSN here in Canada had their largest audience ever for a NHL hockey broadcast. 2.1 Million watching Leafs/Sens and Wild/Flames.

Dr. Corkski
10-07-05, 02:00 AM
He decides Green Bay, Denver, Buffalo, Indy and so on are useless markets and helps orchestrate franchise moves to untapped mega-metro areas such as Paris, Beijing, Berlin and London. Then he ushers in an era of expansion to Islamabad, Kabul, Saigon and Seoul, even though anyone with a brain knows those cities aren't clamoring for football.I bet he loves Champ Car. :laugh:

chop456
10-07-05, 02:19 AM
"You SUCK, Koharsky!!!"

Sorry. Just needed to get that out of my system. Now I can go back to ignoring NHL hockey again.

dando
10-07-05, 12:19 PM
Can I interrupt the three way j***off fest with some hockey talk kids? Thanks. ;)

Anyways, Dan Wetzel's column scores with an explanation of Bettman's destruction of hockey.....

Halle-Freakin-Lujah! Speak the good word, Brother Dan! ;)
Hey, thx for calling me kid. :D

I'm still amazed that Bettman hasn't stepped aside yet. :shakehead

-Kevin

Ankf00
10-07-05, 02:47 PM
Dallas Morning News
Staff
Oct. 7th, 2005
We would like to report that the strike this past year has, indeed, increased Modano's scoring rate. He's now on pace to bed every hot 18+ female in the Metroplex before he turns 40 as opposed to 47. Mike's agent informed our Stars beat writers this morning that his dwindling scoring rate was not a negative factor in contract negotiations, but that the front office wanted to help him all they could get back to old form. Mike this morning informed us that the resumption of the season has him in the best form of his life. No one's gf's, fiances, wives, or daughters are safe this upcoming season. It's good to see Mike back in form and aiming for the Cup

dando
10-11-05, 08:52 PM
Stevie, can't you northeners do anything right? Cripes, ya'll can't even wire a rink properly. Is this some sorta new strategerie to psych out the opposition? :gomer:

-Kevin

Dr. Corkski
10-16-05, 06:59 PM
http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/svse/wmedia/marco_sturm_starts_the_scoring.wvx

http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/svse/wmedia/primeau_scores_the_first_of_two.wvx

http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/svse/wmedia/thornton_gets_his_1st_of_the_year.wvx

http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/svse/wmedia/primeau_gets_the_fans_free_pizza.wvx

Yeah, these guys are gonna dominate. :laugh:

dando
10-16-05, 10:08 PM
Yeah, these guys are gonna dominate. :laugh:
Corky, :shakehead

As usual, you lack any form of constructive or even contextual criticism. For the record, I never stated the CBJs would dominate this season. Feel free to quote me if yoou can find otherwise.

Also, this will be the last time I bother reading or responding to your piss and vinegar posts, so enjoy it. :shakehead

-Kevin

Tifosi24
10-16-05, 10:25 PM
Oh course Columbus is gonna dominate, they should change their name to the Rick Nash Experience.

Dr. Corkski
10-16-05, 10:39 PM
Oh course Columbus is gonna dominate, they should change their name to the Rick Nash Experience.Dude, they are more than just Rick Nash. They are stacked with future hall of famers like Radoslav Suchy, Luke Richardson, Tyler Wright, Trevor Letowski, and Duvie Westcott. :gomer:

Dr. Corkski
11-15-05, 07:51 PM
Dude, they are more than just Rick Nash. They are stacked with future hall of famers like Radoslav Suchy, Luke Richardson, Tyler Wright, Trevor Letowski, and Duvie Westcott. :gomer:Scratch Tyler Wirght, add Sergei Federov. Blow Jackets instantly become a more expensive lottery team for the next few years. :gomer:

coolhand
11-15-05, 08:01 PM
Sharks!

dimitrokos, chichu, Damphous, Thornton :thumbup:

Dr. Corkski
11-15-05, 08:05 PM
Sharks!

dimitrokos, chichu, Damphous, Thornton :thumbup:Damphousse = retired. :gomer:

dando
11-15-05, 09:50 PM
Dude, they are more than just Rick Nash. They are stacked with future hall of famers like Radoslav Suchy, Luke Richardson, Tyler Wright, Trevor Letowski, and Duvie Westcott. :gomer:
Never said they were future HoFers, mofo.

How's Cal doin', BTW?

-Kevin

Ankf00
11-15-05, 10:08 PM
How's Cal doin', BTW?

-Kevin

you need to get w/ the times, he's black & corn colored now :gomer:

Dr. Corkski
11-16-05, 12:11 AM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20051116/capt.ohjl10111160112.blue_jackets_mighty_ducks_tra de_ohjl101.jpg
"By trading for Fedorov, we can continue our dominance at the draft lottery."

Dr. Corkski
11-16-05, 02:03 AM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20051116/capt.mci10411160314.lightning_capitals_mci104.jpg

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

dando
11-16-05, 01:40 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20051116/capt.ohjl10111160112.blue_jackets_mighty_ducks_tra de_ohjl101.jpg
"By trading for Fedorov, we can continue our dominance at the draft lottery."

Douger looks more and more like Baghdad Bob with each passing day. He totally lied in the papers this past week that they had nothing brewing on the trade front. Me thinks Douger and the rest of the PEI Mafia are gripping right now. And after Sunday's debacle against the Kings, deservedly so. Oh, and for the record, the CBJs haven't won the draft lottery yet. They traded up to draft Nasher, and you know the Panthers are regretting that trade. Bouwmeester is a nice D, but he ain't no Nash.

Fedorov should help mentor Zherdev, and should improve the PP significantly w/Nasher out another 3-4 weeks. Nash-Fedorov-Veebs will be a nasty #1 line once everyone is healthy. Lines 2-4 not so much. Marchant or Hrdina get moved next, mark it down.

EDIT: I posted this before I found this out:

It hasn't taken long for the after-shock of the Sergei Fedorov trade to hit the Columbus Blue Jackets. The Blue Jackets are preparing to unload some salary to make way for Fedorov and veteran centre Todd Marchant, who makes $2.47 million this season, has been placed on waivers.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=143275&hubname=nhl

-Kevin <== Carnac ;)

Dr. Corkski
11-16-05, 02:42 PM
Marchant is a fast 3rd line center with hands of cement. No one is going to take him with that salary.

The problem with MacLean is that he has been trying to overcompensate his incompetence at the draft table by overpaying veterans. I am talking about the later rounds, which is where you add depth. Look at Ottawa, 6 of their 2001 draft picks are current NHLers. Nash-Federov-Zherdev could be nasty if healthy but there is no depth. The best teams in the league can usually roll at least 3 good lines and a solid 4th line. DM is still living off of 1996 when he got lucky and went to the SCF.

dando
11-16-05, 02:49 PM
Marchant is a fast 3rd line center with hands of cement. No one is going to take him with that salary.

The problem with MacLean is that he has been trying to overcompensate his incompetence at the draft table by overpaying veterans. I am talking about the later rounds, which is where you add depth. Look at Ottawa, 6 of their 2001 draft picks are current NHLers. Nash-Federov-Zherdev could be nasty if healthy but there is no depth. The best teams in the league can usually roll at least 3 good lines and a solid 4th line. DM is still living off of 1996 when he got lucky and went to the SCF.
I read a comment over the weekend about one of the kids in the CCHA (might have been about a Puckeye) that described him as being like Todd Marchant with hands. :laugh: :(

Yeah, I don't see him going anywhere with $2.47mm, $2.47mm, and 2.66mm due on his remaining contract.

Don't remind me about '96. Panthers beat the Flyers to go to the SCF that year. :cry:

-Kevin

RHR_Fan
11-16-05, 06:22 PM
GO CANUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's sort of weird saying that right now since I have on my Maple Leafs sweatshirt. hehe But I am following the Canucks this year since my friend is into them.

~Nicole

Night Train
11-16-05, 07:06 PM
My 'Canes are doing well so far.....

Just sayin'....

dando
11-16-05, 11:47 PM
Blues end their 10-game winless where else, but Cbus. :( Fedorov looked good, tho, and played 22 minutes after taking the red eye. :thumbup:

-Kevin

Tifosi24
11-19-05, 12:49 PM
I go to espn.com this morning and see an article about Yzerman being angry about the new rules. After reading the article it is clear that Stevie Y really likes clutch and grab because he is angry that refs might actually be calling pentalties by the rules, oh my what a concept.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2229790

dando
11-19-05, 07:12 PM
I go to espn.com this morning and see an article about Yzerman being angry about the new rules. After reading the article it is clear that Stevie Y really likes clutch and grab because he is angry that refs might actually be calling pentalties by the rules, oh my what a concept.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2229790
There is a long list of guys peeved by the new rules....Chris Pronger amongst many others. I, for one, like the new rules and improved game flow.

-Kevin

RacinM3
11-29-05, 03:45 PM
Can I just say, I HATE THE DETROIT RED WINGS. There were so many of their fans at Staples Center last night, I thought I took a wrong turn at the 5 and ended up at Joe Louis Arena.

BASTARDS! We'll get you. Next time. :flame:

As for the Yzerman comments in Dando's link, I'm with Yzerman. I mean, I don't even know what the difference is between a clean hit and a boarding penalty, nowadays.

dando
11-29-05, 03:54 PM
As for the Yzerman comments in Dando's link, I'm with Yzerman. I mean, I don't even know what the difference is between a clean hit and a boarding penalty, nowadays.

Ya, there was a lengthy article in the local fish wrap Sunday that expanded on those comments. I love the flow and the skating now, but the lack of hitting is teh suck. The article also blamed the officiating for so many penalty calls, stating that the expansion to two refs has resulted in < officiating talent, with many of the newer refs relying on the whistles as a cruch. Based on what I've so far this season, that is spot on.

Lastly, apparently it's waiver wire day in the NHL:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=144967&hubname=

Habs fan is having a fit that the CBJs grabbed Hainsey. :D I believe that's two screw up the Habs made that resulted in prospects landing in the CBJ's laps.

-Kevin

Dr. Corkski
11-30-05, 12:21 AM
Maybe Hainsey can step right in and become the new captain now that Luke Richardson has decided that he doesn't want to be the captain of an AHL team anymore. :gomer:

dando
11-30-05, 12:28 AM
Maybe Hainsey can step right in and become the new captain now that Luke Richardson has decided that he doesn't want to be the captain of an AHL team anymore. :gomer:
:p
:cry:
Cal? Still sucks.
:D

-Kevin

Dr. Corkski
11-30-05, 11:43 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=145158&hubname=

San Jose gets Joe Thronton for Marco Sturm, Brad Stuart, and the lesser Primeau.

In related news, some midget is still pouting and pretending that he actually knows anything about hockey. :gomer:

Ankf00
12-21-05, 01:44 PM
someone want to fill me in on when/how Nashville & Buffalo became "good"?! :saywhat:

dando
12-21-05, 02:09 PM
someone want to fill me in on when/how Nashville & Buffalo became "good"?! :saywhat:
Blind hogs find an acorn every now and then? :gomer:

1.) The teams were well-prepared for the new rules.
2.) Solid coaching. Ruff + Trotz = :thumbup:
3.) Nashville plays in a weak division, feeding off the three AHL teams in the division. Frankly, Buffalo's division is underwhelming as well outside of the Sens.
4.) Vokoun is da man in G in Nashville, but how much of that is the result of playing bad team in Cbus, Chitown, and St. Lou? I think they have all of their games against Detroit after New Year's. Their one game scheduled so far was postponed due to Jiri's health problem.
5.) Buffalo is hotter than a mutha right now. 11-1 since Turkey Day. :eek: IMHO, it'll even out.
6.) Neither will make noise in the playoffs unless the Preds ride Vokoun like the Wild did Rolo a coupla years ago.

-Kevin

TKGAngel
12-21-05, 02:52 PM

I told myself I wouldnt take the bait, but here I'm taking the bait. :D

1. Three goalie quandry that looked like it would be the focus of the entire season ended up being the best thing that happened to the team when Miller got hurt. Miller was hot before he went out, and Biron has gotten hot and stayed that way. Sure Ruff rides his goalies until they drop (phrase pulled from the paper), but they perform.
2. Regier got lambasted by fans and the local media for not making a trade for a big name player. He had faith in his team and the new rules. Now look what's happened.
3. Dedicated home audience. The Bills are doing lousy, so lets support these guys and see what happens. Nothing like hearing 16,000 of your closest friends singing the National Anthem before the start of a game, and cheering when goals are scored.
4. They let Satan go. Once the prima donna was out of the locker room, true veteran leadership could emerge from guys like Briere, Drury and McKee.
5. The guys are basically playing for their jobs. Golisano said when he bought the team from Adelphia he would not tolerate an unprofitable team. Winning = butts in the seats = profit for owner.

dando
12-21-05, 04:21 PM
I told myself I wouldnt take the bait, but here I'm taking the bait. :D

1. Three goalie quandry that looked like it would be the focus of the entire season ended up being the best thing that happened to the team when Miller got hurt. Miller was hot before he went out, and Biron has gotten hot and stayed that way. Sure Ruff rides his goalies until they drop (phrase pulled from the paper), but they perform.
2. Regier got lambasted by fans and the local media for not making a trade for a big name player. He had faith in his team and the new rules. Now look what's happened.
3. Dedicated home audience. The Bills are doing lousy, so lets support these guys and see what happens. Nothing like hearing 16,000 of your closest friends singing the National Anthem before the start of a game, and cheering when goals are scored.
4. They let Satan go. Once the prima donna was out of the locker room, true veteran leadership could emerge from guys like Briere, Drury and McKee.
5. The guys are basically playing for their jobs. Golisano said when he bought the team from Adelphia he would not tolerate an unprofitable team. Winning = butts in the seats = profit for owner.
The vote of confidence for Ruff certainly helped. I still say they'll come back to Earth soon, tho. They're not that good to keep up this torrid pace.

-Kevin

Dr. Corkski
12-21-05, 05:10 PM
someone want to fill me in on when/how Nashville & Buffalo became "good"?! :saywhat:Speed up and down the line up + good goaltending = good team.

Meanwhile, the Blow Jackets will continue to suck. :D

dando
12-21-05, 05:43 PM
Speed up and down the line up + good goaltending = good team.

Meanwhile, the Blow Jackets will continue to suck.
Check the standings, we're the tallest dwarf. :gomer: Nash is back, but Foote and Berard are out....I feel like Clark W. Griswold after he tried to turn on the lights in Christmas Vacation. :( :cry: :flame:

EDIT: and Richardson takes a puck to the face last night and breaks his jaw. Mother Fussbucket!

-Kevin

RacinM3
12-22-05, 03:13 AM
Go Kings Go!!!

http://www.photofile.com/Photos/Photos_Of_The_Day/05_10_04/thumbs/MathieuGaron01.jpg

http://avs_mountain.tripod.com/logos/kings.jpg