PDA

View Full Version : The Future of MotoGP

Tifosi24
10-04-05, 11:01 AM
A long, but very informative article about sponsorship and the future of MotoGP.

http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/19974/

Noyes's take on the future doesn't look very good, which is surprising to me considering the strength of the on-track action in this series. But, when you can't find sponsors it doesn't matter how good your series is.

oddlycalm
10-04-05, 11:40 AM
Another series with tobacco withdrawl symptoms. While MotoGP is arguably the best motorsport product both on television and at the track, that's only been the case for a few years. Before that the FIM GP series was in serious decline and all the attention was on the Superbike series.

Elevating the series to what it is today elevated the cost as well. Whether the larger audience is attractive enough to corporate sponsors depends on how good the marketing job is done. They have a great product to sell, but they are in for some tough years just like every other racing series as they wean themselves from the tobacco money. Still, I'd rather have the best product in the market with fast growing audience numbers to sell than a lot of the other race series that are facing the same situation.

oc

eiregosod
10-05-05, 07:04 AM
the TV situation for motoGP is a lot better than it ever was. Though the TV coverage only really focuses on the first group of riders, so that makes it difficult for the rest of field to get noticed.
dorna need to keep Rossi.

oddlycalm
10-05-05, 02:55 PM
the TV situation for motoGP is a lot better than it ever was. Though the TV coverage only really focuses on the first group of riders, so that makes it difficult for the rest of field to get noticed.
dorna need to keep Rossi. Agreed, the TV coverage is not at all sensitive to sponsors. Compared to racing in the US, which is basically one long commercial message, MotoGP is like a breath of fresh air. Honestly, who at home watching TV give a shite about that battle for 10th place? That's the difference going to the race makes, you get to see all the competition throughout the field. In a short sprint race showing those mid-pack battles on television, unless there is no action at the front, is a bad decision.

Rossi presents the classic problem; the series can't afford him but they don't feel they can afford to be without him. I have to agree with those that think his move to Ferrari is a done deal. I think it's a poor move for him as I think he will find the cars confining and the F1 attitudes even worse. Some think he will go to WRC, which is where his heart is, but I can't imagine they can afford him either. It's up to Rossi to either moderate his salary realistically or get stuck in the only place that can afford him. The classic dilema, money or passion. For an Italian this should be easy... ;)

oc

eiregosod
10-05-05, 06:26 PM
The local TV station shows comercials for high powered motorcycles, its not as if carbonated soft drinks will be rushing to get involved in motogp.
I reckon the manufacturers will have a big say in the future of the sport, Noyes alludes to the fact that the manufacturers sell motorcycles that sponsorship etc.. isnt their main concern.

Alonso is getting all the Spanish money, Tefonica & Movistar were always in motogp/500

Sounds like Dorna will have to find a way to attarct sponsors etc..., maybe the old way of working deals will have to be broken.