PDA

View Full Version : Michael McDowell and ChampCar

Rocketdoc
10-03-05, 12:46 AM
There's a very good possibility that 20 year old Mike McDowell will be running the last two ChampCar races.

He just called my son and he said that the Champ Car's are way more car than his GrandAm car: Physically demanding and damn fast.

He's been testing the last few days at Putnum Park.

He's a very talened kid; look out for him.

coolhand
10-03-05, 12:50 AM
with what team?

Rocketdoc
10-03-05, 12:56 AM
with what team?

Finlay Motorsports.

I think that it's a deal with Paul Gentilozzi's outfit.

I doin't know whether it's permanent, but I'd venture that Finlay Motorsports bought into Gentilozzi, maybe into CCWS too.

coolhand
10-03-05, 01:07 AM
http://www.finlaymotorsports.com/

November 4-5
Aerodromo Hermanos Rodriguez
Mexico City

November 6
Champ Car World Series
Gran Premio de Mexico
Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez
Mexico City

ok so the 4-5 is the grand am event, and the 6th is the CCWS event, so i guess they plan on running it.

FCYTravis
10-03-05, 01:22 AM
Yes, he's way fast, and he also got his license suspended for the last race for overaggressive driving :laugh:

Great kid, great team. He just needs to learn a little patience, that's all :)

Edit: And for those of you who don't know the history... "Finlay Motorsports" is run by Steve Cameron, the guy behind the Lynx Racing Atlantics outfit.

Rocketdoc
10-03-05, 01:28 AM
Yes, he's way fast, and he also got his license suspended for the last race for overaggressive driving :laugh:

Great kid, great team. He just needs to learn a little patience, that's all :)

I'm not sure his license was "suspended", just that he had to sit out a race, probably because his contretempt was with Scooter Pruet and the lofty Target team, run by that spherical dynamo, Chip Fatassi.

He is agressive, and I don't think that's going to leave him too soon.

He has loads of ability, and yes, he's going to have to think his racing through more, but he is one talented kid.

FCYTravis
10-03-05, 01:32 AM
Oops! Double!

FCYTravis
10-03-05, 01:33 AM
I'm not sure his license was "suspended".
Oh, it was. For one race. It's not just him, though... Mark Raffauf needed to lay down the law and make an example of someone, and Michael was an easy target because, to be honest, he's torn up a lot of stuff this year. But the kid (geez, can I call him a kid? I'm all of a couple years older!) took it with class and acceptance. He knew he screwed the pooch and didn't whine, just said, OK, how can I learn from this and move on?

He has loads of ability, and yes, he's going to have to think his racing through more, but he is one talented kid.
Absofugginlutely. Michael was the first Star Mazda champion in the new Formula Mazda cars - that's a hell of a pedigree. Oodles of talent, lots of smarts and a VERY marketable personality. Give him a bit of seasoning and he'll be a superstar for sure :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Rocketdoc
10-03-05, 01:36 AM
"Absofugginlutely. Michael was the first Star Mazda champion in the new Formula Mazda cars - that's a hell of a pedigree. Oodles of talent, lots of smarts and a VERY marketable personality. Give him a bit of seasoning and he'll be a superstar for sure "

Just another one of those Bondurant instructors who won "the lottery"....

coolhand
10-03-05, 01:36 AM
enough about him, how about finly motorsports entering champ car with mcdowel and Rocketsports at Mexico city?

FCYTravis
10-03-05, 01:43 AM
Well, there's some of us who care more about the driver than just the potential of another car on the grid.

Another anonymous car on the grid wouldn't mean too much. The fact that it might be driven by one of America's best young road racers would make it an utter coup for Champ Car.

Hope to see him there! :thumbup:

theunions
10-03-05, 01:48 AM
Does Rocketsports actually have enough chassis to spare for a "third" entry (for Pop-Tart or anyone else)?

FCYTravis
10-03-05, 01:50 AM
Finlay Motorsports has two DPs and has written off, what, three completely demolished M3 Grand-Am Cup cars this year?

I think Rob's checkbook can handle a Lola.

coolhand
10-03-05, 02:56 AM
perhaps he takes RHRs seat. and RHR goes to the team who wanted him at the beginning of this year

mapguy
10-03-05, 06:21 AM
perhaps he takes RHRs seat. and RHR goes to the team who wanted him at the beginning of this year

Who would that be?

coolhand
10-03-05, 07:19 AM
Who would that be?

uh well, a certain IRL team, that is rumored to be heading to Champ car

so going out on a limb here.

Mcdowell drivers for rocketsports/finley for the last race.

RHR runs a one car Ganassi effort for the last race.

Jervis Tetch 1
10-03-05, 09:55 AM
Interesting.

Easy
10-03-05, 11:31 AM
uh well, a certain IRL team, that is rumored to be heading to Champ car

so going out on a limb here.

Mcdowell drivers for rocketsports/finley for the last race.

RHR runs a one car Ganassi effort for the last race.

champcarfantasies.com (http://champcarfanatics.com)

patski
10-03-05, 12:09 PM
McDowell needs a year or two in Atlantics. Star Mazda and GrandAm is too big of a jump.

coolhand
10-03-05, 12:46 PM
champcarfantasies.com (http://champcarfanatics.com)

well then explain rocketsports testinfs Mcdowell, Rocketdoc saying he will race with them in Mexico city, and Finly motorsports listing they will be running the CCWS race

formulaben
10-03-05, 01:04 PM
McDowell needs a year or two in Atlantics. Star Mazda and GrandAm is too big of a jump.

Sometimes (and I emphasize sometimes) it may not be such a good thing to get all this seasoning. I know he's 1 in a million, but just look at Kimi Raikkonen. If someone would have thought he needed a season or two of F3000 who knows what would have happened. These cars are harder to drive, but come on, I don't think we give the lower formula as much credit as is due.

FCYTravis
10-03-05, 01:54 PM
Ummm... Star Mazdas are nearly as fast as this year's Toyota Atlantics, and there's no better place to learn racecraft right now than Grand-Am's huge prototype fields. Michael's acquitted himself quite well... a championship in one and several podiums in the other do not lie.

Atlantics is not the be-all and end-all of road racing ladder series.

Dr. Corkski
10-03-05, 02:22 PM
Ummm... Star Mazdas are nearly as fast as this year's Toyota Atlantics, and there's no better place to learn racecraft right now than Grand-Am's huge prototype fields. Michael's acquitted himself quite well... a championship in one and several podiums in the other do not lie.

Atlantics is not the be-all and end-all of road racing ladder series.You don't get to race against Bob Siska in Star Mazda or Grand Am. :gomer:

oddlycalm
10-03-05, 02:31 PM
You don't get to race against Bob Siska in Star Mazda or Grand Am. :gomer: Exactly, and you don't learn street racing skills like jumping railroad tracks or judging cameltoe contest either. :gomer:

oc

Rocketdoc
10-03-05, 02:44 PM

I'm not too sure.

He knows how to run in traffic, perhaps needs to bring more patience to his repertoire, but his driving/instructing and race experience will carry him well.

Sean O'Gorman
10-03-05, 02:52 PM
Grand-Am: The road to Champ Car

I like the sound of that. :D

extramundane
10-03-05, 03:27 PM
You don't get to race against Bob Siska in Star Mazda or Grand Am. :gomer:

One man's Bob Siska is another man's Tracy Krohn. One just has deeper pockets. :)

FCYTravis
10-03-05, 03:53 PM
At least when Krohn's not in the car Michael gets to race against Nic Jonsson :)

NismoZ
10-03-05, 05:04 PM
Atlantics may not be the be and end all of ladders, but I'm guessing CC is trying to make sure it's the next to top rung on the most important ladder. Think it'd be a mistake to regard it too lightly especially considering power upgrade and promise of better competition. Generally open wheel experience is favored by the CC owners but not exclusively. Nice if he can make the jump, but I'd rather see him bring more credibility to the new Atlantic series and honestly believe he'd be facing a more level field there and get a more true indication of his relative skills. But...money always talks, let's see what he's got! :)

NismoZ
10-03-05, 05:15 PM
In other words, why beat your brains out all season for the $2mil. when you already HAVE it!? Some high school athletes skip the college farm systems and go right to the top, when they show superior skills. I hope this guy has those recognized skills and is able to justify the jump, whether he is paying or GETS paid!

Easy
10-03-05, 05:25 PM
well then explain rocketsports testinfs Mcdowell, Rocketdoc saying he will race with them in Mexico city, and Finly motorsports listing they will be running the CCWS race

I'm not going to try and explain it based on total guesswork. I'll leave that to our friends on another site. If its anything like other potential "so and so to CCWS" rumors it simply won't happen and will be forgotten in due time. Remember ORECA, Leberle, Wayne Taylor, AOL, Paul Cherry, Eurointernational (gone pretty quiet since Denver)etc..?

Sean O'Gorman
10-03-05, 07:22 PM
Remember ORECA

Yes. :D :D :D

coolhand
10-03-05, 11:36 PM
ORECA was made up by a member of this board.

But it is true, that McDowell tested a rocketsports car, and Finly listed on their website the champ car race.

somthing will happen out of this, maybe not like i said but somthing will.

Easy
10-04-05, 10:27 AM
I don't doubt that something could happen, I just don't see why we should extrapolate the possibilities of 3 way driver moves. That should be left to the experts on other boards.
That said, what Fortune 500 companies should sponsor Atlantic teams next year? :gomer:

Ankf00
10-04-05, 11:13 AM
Exactly, and you don't learn street racing skills like jumping railroad tracks or judging cameltoe contest either. :gomer:

oc

and herein lies the meaning of life. :gomer:

extramundane
10-04-05, 01:21 PM
So we're this many posts into the thread and nobody has screamed that it's McDowell's teammate who should get the ride?

The times they are a-changing.

Rocketdoc
10-04-05, 02:33 PM
So we're this many posts into the thread and nobody has screamed that it's McDowell's teammate who should get the ride?

The times they are a-changing.

Gidley?

His time went some time ago.