PDA

View Full Version : Siebkens- the Last Open Bar

Pages : [1] 2

Napoleon
10-02-05, 05:55 PM
I saw this at Mid-Ohio at a vendor tent and thought it was pretty neat.

http://web.ivenue.com/classicimpressions/images/SiebkinsNewSmall.jpg

FCYTravis
10-02-05, 06:07 PM
Man, I've got fond memories of that place... series officials slipping in their own beer, drivers mackin' on drivers, booze flying everywhere...

Siebkens: Like No Place Else. :cool:

Sean O'Gorman
10-02-05, 06:25 PM
The one time I was at Siebken's in '02 I was asked to pose for a picture with a woman who thought I was a racer. And they didn't ID me either. ;)

Cam
10-02-05, 06:46 PM
There is detail in that! :thumbup:

NismoZ
10-02-05, 08:16 PM
Augie!

SteveH
10-02-05, 08:29 PM
they look to sober for Siebkens :gomer:

spinner26
10-02-05, 08:47 PM
My two fav's for Champ Car in the U.S were Siebkens and London Bridge. No reason to go to either now. :cry:

Momma wants me to take her to the Bridge one day, she doesn't believe me when I tell her there is a plaque with my name on it in the back. Heck, maybe there isn't now, they may have done away with it all win Fatassi left CC. Anyone know?

Methanolandbrats
10-02-05, 08:50 PM
Not to worry, that bar is in the middle of nowhere. 50 years from now there will be an equally nostalgic painting of drivers hanging out at the Starbucks 75 feet from the track at San Jose.

fourrunner
10-02-05, 10:27 PM
Where's Danica & Dan Wheldon ?? ;)

Lizzerd
10-03-05, 02:01 AM
Damn... that place looks familiar.

I've done many drunken Fridays and Saturdays there.

Dr. Corkski
10-03-05, 02:43 AM
Not to worry, that bar is in the middle of nowhere. 50 years from now there will be an equally nostalgic painting of drivers hanging out at the Starbucks 75 feet from the track at San Jose. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

There was actually one open inside the event area.

Sean O'Gorman
10-03-05, 08:43 AM
If you look closely, you can see Al Unser Jr. passed out in the corner in a pool of his own vomit. :eek:

Methanolandbrats
10-03-05, 08:56 AM
If you look closely, you can see Al Unser Jr. passed out in the corner in a pool of his own vomit. :eek: :D

Jervis Tetch 1
10-03-05, 10:01 AM
If you look closely, you can see Al Unser Jr. passed out in the corner in a pool of his own vomit. :eek:And if you look real close in the upper right hand corner, there's A.J. with a sammich in his hand and probably his 20th beer.

That place brought out some great times when I went there.

Napoleon
10-03-05, 10:56 AM
And if you look real close in the upper right hand corner, there's A.J. with a sammich in his hand and probably his 20th beer.

Notice that he also is on crutchs.

By the way, who is in the upper left with a cheese head on?

devilmaster
10-03-05, 11:56 AM
And if you look real close in the upper right hand corner, there's A.J. with a sammich in his hand and probably his 20th beer.

That place brought out some great times when I went there.

That can't be AJ, he has a smile on his face.... ;)

Methanolandbrats
10-03-05, 12:02 PM

By the way, who is in the upper left with a cheese head on?Lil Al

Andrew Longman
10-03-05, 12:04 PM

By the way, who is in the upper left with a cheese head on?

Was it Tags who donned a cheesehead when he won at RA?

Opposite Lock
10-03-05, 12:12 PM
That can't be AJ, he has a smile on his face.... ;)

And Paul Newman isn't smiling - I'm guessing AJ just got Paul to pull his finger. (At least I think that's Paul)

Good catch on the crutches, Napolean, I didn't put 2 and 2 together at first - Mr. Warrick seems to have a slightly dark sense of humor.

Napoleon
10-03-05, 12:17 PM
Was it Tags who donned a cheesehead when he won at RA?

You know I thought it was Lil' Al but didn't mention that because I could not figure why he would be wearing a cheese head. I guess then it is not Lil' Al,

Napoleon
10-03-05, 12:35 PM
If you look closely, you can see Al Unser Jr. passed out in the corner in a pool of his own vomit. :eek:

Sean, you are so wrong.

If you looked carefully at the picture there is a part on the right half of the picture where it is blank from top to bottom where the artist intends to insert a pole with a stripper hanging from it and Lil’ Al stuffing a dollar bill in her garter.

You notice where he already has Mikey sitting there learing at the yet to be drawn stripper.

rabbit
10-03-05, 12:40 PM
The cheesehead looks like Tommy Kendall, to me anyway. Either that or Quentin Tarentino. :saywhat:

formulaben
10-03-05, 01:20 PM
That's pretty cool.

racer2c
10-03-05, 01:28 PM
I think lil Al is sitting at the table with Mikey and Emmo although he's wearing blue and white. Hmm.

Dirty Sanchez
10-03-05, 01:38 PM
Not to worry, that bar is in the middle of nowhere. 50 years from now there will be an equally nostalgic painting of drivers hanging out at the Starbucks 75 feet from the track at San Jose. :laugh:

racermike
10-03-05, 01:38 PM
Man, I've got fond memories of that place... series officials slipping in their own beer, drivers mackin' on drivers, booze flying everywhere...

Siebkens: Like No Place Else. :cool:

Siebkens rocks!

Remember my first time to Road America in 1998, snuck into the ESPN party on one side of the place. They had a tub full of ice, and bottles of Jagermeister. Talked shop with Danny Sullivan, David Hobbs, and a whole lot of other people with CART, ESPN, and Road America veterans.

One of THE best racing bars to hang out in, in all north america.

formulaben
10-03-05, 02:16 PM
OK, I'm a dork, so I figured we'd all figure out who's who. I just had to put the 14 on dumbass, but the 27 just happened upon Emmo. I know that some may not be anybody in particular, like the trophy girl, but since I don't know Mid-Ohio's history I figured I better play it safe.

http://home.comcast.net/~formulaben/SiebkinsNumbered.JPG

Here's what I've got:
01 Carrol Shelby?
10 David Hobbs?
13 The Captain?
16 David Donahue??? (total guess)
21 Dan Gurney?
23 Scott Pruett?
27 Emmo
28 Sourpuss
37 Carl Haas
38 PLN
14 Aaaaaaaaay Jaaaaaaaaay
43 PT, for shizzle
41 Gilles Villenueve? (guessing the Canadians are all at the back table...haha)

Gnam
10-03-05, 02:24 PM
39 Greg Moore?

Cam
10-03-05, 02:26 PM
Isn't Mario 23?

Napoleon
10-03-05, 02:37 PM
I was thinking 23 was Danny S, but on second thought maybe it is Mario. Was he sponsored by Bud?

24 - Lil' Al

44 - JV the younger?

Gnam
10-03-05, 02:38 PM
44 Dario Franchitti (?)

I'm guessing past winners at Road America get top billing.

dando
10-03-05, 02:43 PM
Here's some info on the piece and where it can ordered:

http://www.racingpilot.com/item546179.ctlg

As I thought, Posey is #7.

Off topic....lots of good stuff out there from Roger...I wonder if he was the artist for The Pass? I saw it years ago @ MO signed by both Herta and Zanardi for like $125. I'm still kicking myself for not buying it on sight. I suppose I was still getting over the disappointment. :(

-Kevin

Sean O'Gorman
10-03-05, 02:48 PM
but since I don't know Mid-Ohio's history I figured I better play it safe.

Well that much is obvious. :D

Waiting for someone to correct formulaben...

Napoleon
10-03-05, 02:51 PM
Is 18 Redman?

Napoleon
10-03-05, 02:53 PM
As I thought, Posey is #7.
-Kevin

I think Posey is 11

devilmaster
10-03-05, 02:55 PM
I suppose someone could email the artist for his input, but he might not be a happy camper about this.....

Andrew Longman
10-03-05, 02:56 PM
Looks about right. Not sure about that being Penske but he has to be in there somewhere.

Oh that 16 would be MARK Donahue

11 = Posey

24 = Lil Al

18 + Schekter?

dando
10-03-05, 02:57 PM
I think Posey is 11
Sorry. That's what I meant. Is Revson #3? How about Al Sr. for #7?

-Kevin

Napoleon
10-03-05, 02:59 PM
By the way I heard the owner of the vendor stand talking to some guy about this picture and the Jag you can see parked out back has some meaning also, but I didn't hear what it was.

rabbit
10-03-05, 03:01 PM
More details and print ordering info: (http://www1.ivenue.com/classicimpressions/item546179.ctlg)

20"x30" prints are $30. (Free shipping on pre-orders.) The original is a bargain at $3K.

Cam
10-03-05, 03:05 PM
I was thinking 23 was Danny S, but on second thought maybe it is Mario. Was he sponsored by Bud?

'83 and '84.

Rocketdoc
10-03-05, 03:10 PM
OK, I'm a dork, so I figured we'd all figure out who's who. I just had to put the 14 on dumbass, but the 27 just happened upon Emmo. I know that some may not be anybody in particular, like the trophy girl, but since I don't know Mid-Ohio's history I figured I better play it safe.

Here's what I've got:
01 Carrol Shelby?
10 David Hobbs?
13 The Captain?
16 David Donahue??? (total guess)
21 Dan Gurney?
23 Scott Pruett?
27 Emmo
28 Sourpuss
37 Carl Haas
38 PLN
14 Aaaaaaaaay Jaaaaaaaaay
43 PT, for shizzle
41 Gilles Villenueve? (guessing the Canadians are all at the back table...haha)

16 is Mark, his Dad.

RichK
10-03-05, 03:23 PM
Not to worry, that bar is in the middle of nowhere. 50 years from now there will be an equally nostalgic painting of drivers hanging out at the Starbucks 75 feet from the track at San Jose.

If that doesn't succinctly describe the course of racing worldwide right now, nothing will.

:laugh: and :(

rosawendel
10-03-05, 03:43 PM
25 is wally. i thought 5 was little al, and i thought 13 was big al. is 33 guthrie?

Andrew Longman
10-03-05, 03:55 PM
25 is wally. i thought 5 was little al, and i thought 13 was big al. is 33 guthrie?

I think 5 is lil Al. Looking at who else is in the room 5 can't possibly tags. What was I thinking :gomer:

By the same measure I don't think that's Guthrie. She's not in the same class. Given that she is behind the bar perhaps she is one of the owners?

23 is likely Mario. Bud was a sponsor and it makes sense to put him near Mikey. A much younger Mario I'd say though.

Al Czervik
10-03-05, 04:00 PM
Some guesses here:
#17 Denny Hulme
#22 Al Holbert
#19 Phil Hill
#20 Peter Revson
#23 Mario (Bud & Electrolux)

racer2c
10-03-05, 04:10 PM

13 looks like no Unser I've ever seen.

gerhard911
10-03-05, 04:36 PM
13 looks like no Unser I've ever seen.

#13 is Pimpski - that's the old Penske Racing logo on his jacket.

NismoZ
10-03-05, 05:36 PM
Uh, guys?...AUGIE! Can you guess what the label is on that bottle of beer he's holding!? If he wasn't in the painting it would have NO credibility at all!

NismoZ
10-03-05, 05:40 PM
I think 39 is Jim Hall and 9 is Surtees, and 31 must be Masten Gregory.

Cam
10-03-05, 05:47 PM
Can you guess what the label is on that bottle of beer he's holding!?
(Quick Google)...... Errrrr...... PBR??? :gomer:

NismoZ
10-03-05, 05:59 PM
PS...I have part of a wooden chair from Siebkens labeled "Elkhart Lake Riots, June Sprints '63." Think I can get anything for it on E-Bay!? :D (Hell, somebody threw it at me...so I TOOK it!) I met some of the nicest people there standing in line to pee, now they went and MODERNIZED it! Less waiting, less conversation! Used to have to go get a beer then just get back in line and do all your conversing there! I can't believe I'm still alive! All I know is, full cans of beer couldn't break the window of the bank, and the cops had NO sense of humor when you took flash pictures 2 ft. from their face!

NismoZ
10-03-05, 06:01 PM
Bingo, Cam...you really ARE a "winner." :D

Andrew Longman
10-03-05, 06:11 PM
the woman on the left has a sash that says Miss Road America, but I'm not finding anything on Google. Anyone?

Or is she just a Revson accessory? :D

Sean O'Gorman
10-03-05, 07:20 PM
PS...I have part of a wooden chair from Siebkens labeled "Elkhart Lake Riots, June Sprints '63." Think I can get anything for it on E-Bay!? :D (Hell, somebody threw it at me...so I TOOK it!)

You can't say something like that and then not tell the story behind it.

Opposite Lock
10-03-05, 08:11 PM
:o 25 = Clif Tufte (one of my all-time favorite architects ;) )
26 = Jim Kimberly, the "Silver Fox"

Napoleon
10-03-05, 08:19 PM
OK, a first comprehensive shot

1 Shelby
2 Bimbo
3 Revson
4 Hanson
5 Tag.
6 Briggs Cuningham
7 Ken Miles ?
9 Surtees
10 Hobbs
11 Posey
13 Pimp$ki
14 AJ
15 John Fitch
16 Mark Donahue
17 Denny Hulme
18 Brian Redman
19 Phil Hill
20 Vern Schuppan?
21 Gurney
22 Holbert
23 Mario
24 Lil’ Al
25 Clif Tufte (built the track) ?
26 Jim Kimberly ?
27 Emmo
28 Some looser (OK, Mikey)
31 Masten Gregory?
32 Col. Easton (an early Steward) ?
35 Wild wild guess, NASCAR driver Tim Flock
36 Another wild one, Big Bill France Jr
37 Haas
38 Newman
39 Jim Hall?
41 Gilles Villenuve
43 Tracey
44Carpanter? Jacqye V? Farncetti?

Other people who logically would be included but can not place them in the picture

Bob Bondurant, Bruce McLaren, Chris Amon, Augie Pabst, Alan Jones

Opposite Lock
10-03-05, 08:44 PM
I still think 5 is Little Al.

But 24 is tough... looks like an old Buddy Rice. :shudder:

Isn't Augie Pabst #4?

Napoleon
10-03-05, 08:58 PM
I still think 5 is Little Al.

But 24 is tough... looks like an old Buddy Rice. :shudder:

Isn't Augie Pabst #4?

I think you are right about 5 looking like Lil' Al, but the fact that Tag wore a cheese head when he won RA seals the deal for me that it is intended to be him.

As to number 4 if you look at some of the links posted above that is one of the few people in the picture identified on the site you can order it from. Plus it gives a blow up of that portion of the picture and you can read his name on his driver suit.

As to 24, well if you look at the picture as a whole, people who raced against each other are grouped together. So who would go with an early/mid 80 Emmo, Mikey and Mario?

Pabst just has to be one of the drivers I did not identify. But, I don't know what he looks like.

Opposite Lock
10-03-05, 09:08 PM
I think you are right about 5 looking like Lil' Al, but the fact that Tag wore a cheese head when he won RA seals the deal for me that it is intended to be him.

As to number 4 if you look at some of the links posted above that is one of the few people in the picture identified on the site you can order it from. Plus it gives a blow up of that portion of the picture and you can read his name on his driver suit.

As to 24, well if you look at the picture as a whole, people who raced against each other are grouped together. So who would go with an early/mid 80 Emmo, Mikey and Mario?

Pabst just has to be one of the drivers I did not identify. But, I don't know what he looks like.

I was there for Tag's cheesehead, but if 5 is going to be him, then I think the nose from 27 (Emmo) has to get copied over - that's a Tag nose.)

Ok, so I missed the easy 4 ID; now I'm sayin' Augie Pabst is 30.
And I'll go long that 29 is Denise McCluggage.

Napoleon
10-03-05, 09:46 PM
And I'll go long that 29 is Denise McCluggage.

OK,who is she

I kind of figured that one was a bar owner, or something similar.

Opposite Lock
10-03-05, 10:10 PM
OK,who is she

I kind of figured that one was a bar owner, or something similar.

whew - I didn't actually notice the polka-dot helmet on the table until you called me on it, but there* it is.

*According to the Schultz book, (yes, I've been cheating, but I got PLN without looking, :gomer: ):

"Denise McCluggage was the best of the early lady drivers. She drove a wide variety of race cars, but was principally known for her skills in a Porsche RS Spyder. Denise scored numerous wins, including the class HM race in an Osca 750 at the '60 500 acompanying races." (Denise was reportedly also known for her pink polka dot helmet).

NismoZ
10-03-05, 10:11 PM
Well, I had fun writing my '63 Siebkens story, used too damn many smilies, "went back" to correct like I was told, and PHHTTTT...GONE! I'm such a technofeeb! Maybe later. Pretty sure that was the Sprints where Jim Hall ran away but broke in his MkI Chaparral, leaving the Meister Brausers' Heuer and Devine to finish 1-2 in the Chaparral and Scarab. As I recall Augie had lost his ride with Meister Brau by then (something about a Pabst winning in a Peter Hand Brewery car not looking so good!)...and he 'bout killed himself at Daytona earlier that year, being tossed out of his Typo 61 Birdcage Maserati onto the banking at something like 135mph!! I got to see him in what I THINK was his first race back the next year at the brand new Lyndale Farms road course, driving the John Mecum Racing 250 GTO Ferrari. I was SO happy to see his return. Those were such dangerous times!

formulaben
10-03-05, 10:14 PM
Isn't Mario 23?

Good Lord, how could I have missed that one?!

NismoZ
10-03-05, 10:15 PM
Yeah, Denise...saw her race a 250 GT Ferrari a few times. Man those GTOs and GTs are like over a million $ now! :eek:...Denise was pretty good but Donna Mae Mims was a lot better looking! Think she was national Champ in a HP Sprite? (Pink, of course :D ) Hell, I think she even had a pink driver's suit and pink hair!

Cam
10-03-05, 10:17 PM
Damn this guy is subtle! This is one awesome piece of work.... I will be getting it for my wall! Thats for sure!

Now isn't a little treasure hunt like this a hell of a lot more fun than lemming sniping?? LOL :D

formulaben
10-03-05, 10:18 PM
Well that much is obvious. :D

Waiting for someone to correct formulaben...

I guessed. I figured that Road America would make more sense, but all I could see were references to Mid-Ohio. Maybe someday I'll have a PBR at Siebken's... :confused:

formulaben
10-03-05, 10:22 PM
I suppose someone could email the artist for his input, but he might not be a happy camper about this.....

Why not? This thread is probably generating more interest in this print than the online retailer!

Cam
10-03-05, 10:25 PM
Why not? This thread is probably generating more interest in this print than the online retailer!

I bet that you have that right! :thumbup:

NismoZ
10-03-05, 10:31 PM
If any of you have NOT been to the BRIC vintage races you should go just to see some of these guys. Surtees a few years ago, Mario and Phil Hill this year, Follmer, Hulme was there, Jim Hall of course with his incredible collection of Chaparrals...Augie EVERY year. To see him pull on the helmet and gloves, put on the goggles and bring that sweet sounding Scarab to life just melts away the years and about brings a tear to my eye!

Rocketdoc
10-03-05, 10:53 PM
OK, a first comprehensive shot

1 Shelby
2 Bimbo
3 Revson
4 Hanson
5 Tag.
6 Briggs Cuningham
7 Ken Miles ?
9 Surtees
10 Hobbs
11 Posey
13 Pimp$ki
14 AJ
15 John Fitch
16 Mark Donahue
17 Denny Hulme
18 Brian Redman
19 Phil Hill
20 Vern Schuppan?
21 Gurney
22 Holbert
23 Mario
24 Lil’ Al
25 Clif Tufte (built the track) ?
26 Jim Kimberly ?
27 Emmo
28 Some looser (OK, Mikey)
31 Masten Gregory?
32 Col. Easton (an early Steward) ?
35 Wild wild guess, NASCAR driver Tim Flock
36 Another wild one, Big Bill France Jr
37 Haas
38 Newman
39 Jim Hall?
41 Gilles Villenuve
43 Tracey

Other people who logically would be included but can not place them in the picture

Bob Bondurant, Bruce McLaren, Chris Amon, Augie Pabst, Alan Jones

Bruce McLaren is 20.

Cam
10-03-05, 11:16 PM
OK.... I gotta ask..... john Fitch seems to to get the center spotlight in the pic..... Can't say that I have ever heard of him..... Someone want to enlighten???

Rocketdoc
10-03-05, 11:20 PM
OK.... I gotta ask..... john Fitch seems to to get the center spotlight in the pic..... Can't say that I have ever heard of him..... Someone want to enlighten???

John Fitch, I believe, was a factory Mercedes-Benz driver in the 50's, all around famous guy of that era, and he made a very nice modified Corvair, called naturally, the John Fitch Corvair.

dando
10-03-05, 11:25 PM
Quick Google came up with the following:

http://www.racesafety.com/fitchbio.html

Quite a racing legacy and some serious racing safety achievements after he quit driving.

:cool: :thumbup: :thumbup:

-Kevin

Cam
10-03-05, 11:31 PM
Quick Google came up with the following:

Quite a racing legacy and some serious racing safety achievements after he quit driving.

:cool: :thumbup: :thumbup:

-Kevin

Crap! I get the google thing thrown in my face!

Beauty is I got the answer I wanted.... I could have googled but that was not going to give me the answer I desired.... ;)

I got the answer I wanted......

Cam
10-03-05, 11:46 PM

-Kevin

Oh wow!!!! He was a team mate to Fangio and to Sir Stirling!!!! Awsome!

However he was also teammate to the LeMan tragedy. :eek:

devilmaster
10-04-05, 12:38 AM

Well, only cause he has a disclaimer on his site....

But i sent him an email, directing him to the thread, and asking him that he may want to join OC, as i'm sure he'd probably fit right in. He does some amazing work.

www.rogerwarrick.com

devilmaster
10-04-05, 12:50 AM

Jesus! Looks like Nappy has come down with a case of Cam-itis! :laugh: ;)

formulaben
10-04-05, 01:58 AM
Well, only cause he has a disclaimer on his site....

But i sent him an email, directing him to the thread, and asking him that he may want to join OC, as i'm sure he'd probably fit right in. He does some amazing work.

www.rogerwarrick.com

I wish I could afford to commission a custom print by hiim. His work is pretty impressive. As it is, I'll probably have to order this print. I've never even seen RA from the air let alone been there, but I've always been a sucker for racing art.

devilmaster
10-04-05, 02:50 AM
So as I posted 4 posts or so ago - I emailed Roger Warrick and directed him to this thread. He has registered (i think he's happy camper), and while he waits to get permission, he emailed me the list, numbered to formulaben's pic....

So here is the list:

1. Carroll Shelby
2. Christi Lueck-Sadiq (granddaughter of Ollie Siebkens, she's playing Miss Road America here)
3. Peter Revson
4. Jerry Hansen
5. Tommy Kendall
6. Briggs Cunningham
7. John Fitch
8. Chris Economaki (waving a Nat'l Speed Sport News of course!)
9. Oscar Koveleski (in winged helmet)
10. David Hobbs
11. Sam Posey
12. Doug Lueck (owner/bartender there for many years)
13. Roger Penske (circa 1973)
14. A. J. (on crutches after his big accident there in 91 I think?)
15. Walt Hansgen
16. Mark Donohue
17. Denis Hulme
18. Brian Redman
19. Phil Hill (won the first ever race held at RA in '55)
20. Bruce McLaren
21. Dan Gurney
22. Al Holbert
23. Mario Andretti (circa 1984)
24. Al Unser, Jr. (is the Coke bottle too subtle?)
25. Clif Tufte (designed RA)
26. Jim Kimberly (business partner with Tufte, and raced too)
27. Emerson Fittipaldi
28. Michael Andretti
29. Denise McCluggage
30. Augie Pabst
31. Masten Gregory
32. Jim Jeffords (raced in the 50's and is still a RA board member I believe...Burt Levy wanted him included, so he is)
33. Pam Lueck (bartender Doug Lueck's wife, and daughter of Ollie Siebkens)
34. Burt Levy as the bartender
35. "Buddy Palumbo" from Burt Levy's The Last Open Road novel
36. "Big Ed Baumstein" from TLOR novel...and that is Big Ed's Jaguar parked outside...read the book.
37. Carl Haas
38. P.L. Newman
39. Jim Hall
40. P.D. Cunningham
41. Gilles Villeneuve (only raced there once in a Can Am car)
42. Jacques Villeneuve I (the uncle of Jacques II)
43. Paul Tracy
44. Jacques Villeneuve II
45. (behind the bar) Ollie Siebkens (not yet painted when this was taken, she owned the bar in the 50's when it became a racing bar)
46. Two corner workers representing Chicago and Milwaukee SCCA.

The painting is now (finally!) finished, so it will be heading to the printer later this week. Should be ready to go in a few weeks. I'll try and get it posted at the racingpilot.com homepage this week. And yes, there will be a key to identify everyone included with the poster...

I know I left out many more deserving drivers for sure, but there's only so many I can include. Let's just assume they're in the restroom. I tried to get a cross-section of those who won races at Road America, or competed over many years, or who are local favorites.

Let me know if you have any other questions about it.

Roger Warrick

Thanks Roger :thumbup:

devilmaster
10-04-05, 02:59 AM
hmmm... vbulletin bug...

fourrunner
10-04-05, 03:56 AM
Nice Job Devilmaster !!! :thumbup:

Napoleon
10-04-05, 07:17 AM
Now isn't a little treasure hunt like this a hell of a lot more fun than lemming sniping?? LOL :D

Dude, lets not get carried away!

2. Christi Lueck-Sadiq (granddaughter of Ollie Siebkens, she's playing Miss Road America here)

I swear I was just about to guess that. ;)

rabbit
10-04-05, 08:00 AM
5. Tommy KendallToldjaso. :p

Although I still think it looks like Tarantino.

nrc
10-04-05, 08:46 AM
hmmm... vbulletin bug...

Inconceivable!

rabbit
10-04-05, 09:07 AM
Inconceivable!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Cam
10-04-05, 09:09 AM
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

You mean like unpossible? :p

NismoZ
10-04-05, 09:13 AM
"assume they are in the restroom." See, I told ya, or standing in line there at LEAST. :) ...(c'mon SUMMER!)

Andrew Longman
10-04-05, 11:21 AM
Did anyone else think Denise McCluggage was Dan Wheldon? Just kidding. :D

Napoleon
10-04-05, 11:38 AM
A question concerning # 40, P D Cunningham. I took an SCCA driver school at Road America around 1989, maybe 1990, and there was a local type driver they had come speak to us before we took to the track, maybe even the Friday night before the weekend sessions. I seem to recall that he was around my age (I am born in 1961) and had done SCCA racing in but had started to get into pro driving and the word was he maybe able to break into big time racing. I want to say his name was Peter Cunningham from the Milwaukee Region SCCA. But my foggy memory is that he was an open wheel guy, or at least hoping to break into big time open wheel racing. Anyways, people from the region holding the school (I forget which w/o going through my records but I would bet it was Milwaukee) though he was the greatest thing since Juan Manuel Fangio. I seem to remember seeing his name in results over the years in various classes. Is this the same guy? Does anyone know much about his background?

And is he related to #6?

Sean O'Gorman
10-04-05, 11:58 AM
Does anyone know much about his background?

Former autocrosser. In fact, I think he is the only SCCA member to have titles in pro racing, club racing, autocross, and rally.

"Autocrossers always make good road racers, but road racers do not always make good autocrossers." - T.C. Kline

:D

chop456
10-04-05, 12:34 PM
A question concerning # 40, P D Cunningham. I took an SCCA driver school at Road America around 1989, maybe 1990, and there was a local type driver they had come speak to us before we took to the track, maybe even the Friday night before the weekend sessions. I seem to recall that he was around my age (I am born in 1961) and had done SCCA racing in but had started to get into pro driving and the word was he maybe able to break into big time racing. I want to say his name was Peter Cunningham from the Milwaukee Region SCCA. But my foggy memory is that he was an open wheel guy, or at least hoping to break into big time open wheel racing. Anyways, people from the region holding the school (I forget which w/o going through my records but I would bet it was Milwaukee) though he was the greatest thing since Juan Manuel Fangio. I seem to remember seeing his name in results over the years in various classes. Is this the same guy? Does anyone know much about his background?

And is he related to #6?

He raced for RealTime racing which is/was based in West Bend, WI. Most recently they were in Speed Touring(?) with the Acura RSX's and I believe 1 other type of car. Mazda? He previously raced the NSX. The cars were always the traditional white/orange. You'd recognize them if you saw them. And yes, he's been successful.

dando
10-04-05, 12:43 PM
Thx, Steve! :thumbup: :thumbup: I knew we kept you around here for some reason... :p

-Kevin

Napoleon
10-04-05, 12:43 PM
Former autocrosser.

Sorry to hear that. He seemed so upbeat about his future and he ends up autocrossing. That has to be like thinking you’re going to bed with Jennifer Garner and waking up next to Rosie O'Donnel.

Chop, its good to hear he is still at it. I started thinking about it and I think he even wrote a little piece that appeared in the SCCA magazine after I took my class at RA called Fast Lap of Road America. I bet I cut it out and have it someplace.

41. Gilles Villeneuve (only raced there once in a Can Am car)
42. Jacques Villeneuve I (the uncle of Jacques II)
43. Paul Tracy
44. Jacques Villeneuve II)

By the way, I appreciate the humor. Take all the Canadians in the picture and shove them in the corner.

dando
10-04-05, 12:46 PM
Sorry to hear that. He seemed so upbeat about his future and he ends up autocrossing. That has to be like thinking you’re going to bed with Jennifer Garner and waking up next to Rosie O'Donnel.

*shiver*

Recalls scenes from Kingpin. :D

-Kevin

Sean O'Gorman
10-04-05, 01:06 PM

Maybe he was so upbeat because he realized that road racing would be a piece of cake compared to autocross. ;)

formulaben
10-04-05, 03:34 PM
I've always fantasized about having a "game room" with a full bar, pool table, home theater system with big screen, and lots of neon signs and racing art for the big game/race. This would be quite the conversational piece:

http://www.kineticnet.net/roger/silverareo.JPG

NismoZ
10-04-05, 08:46 PM
Glad that baby landed wheels down...he pulled a "Mario" before Mario did!

devilmaster
10-04-05, 10:12 PM
Roger emailed to me the image of the final painting, and asked it to be passed on here, so we get the 'sneak preview' ;)

http://www.mnsi.net/~smicalef/LastOpenBar_poster_web.jpg

dando
10-04-05, 10:29 PM
Ya know, it ocurred to me this evening that this pic is like The Last Supper for race fans. :) :(

-Kevin