PDA

View Full Version : Talladega

trish
10-02-05, 03:02 PM
Is Michael out of his car yet?

trish
10-02-05, 03:06 PM
Yeah, they just said he got out on his own. I'm glad nothing went in the stands the way it looked like his wheel was gonna come off the car. Too bad for Mark Martin.

trish
10-02-05, 03:10 PM
Get those sponsor mentions in Mikey! He's such a goofball.

Of course this was the fault of Jimmie Johnson a.k.a the bonafide idiot.

Mark Martin says these cars have outgrown these tracks and it's up to the fans to do something about this kind of racing.

NismoZ
10-02-05, 03:20 PM
Let me guess...somebody tried to "bump draft" in a corner? Or was it just "bump". I tuned in just at the point where Mark Martin was saying "the only people that can do anything about this are the fans." But, Mark, those fans LOVE to see bumpin', rubbin' tumblin' smokin', entertainment. Don't hold yer breath waiting for THEM to call for any major changes. If they're 230 mph cars that have outgrown the tracks, as you say, then you either run different tracks...or cut the fields in half and RUN 'em 230 mph!

Methanolandbrats
10-02-05, 03:33 PM
This crap reminds me of watching a commuter train go by. Dale had if figured out, he said the solution was to "build higher walls". :thumbup:

trish
10-02-05, 04:04 PM
Jimmie still blaming others. Now Newman is passed the baton.

cart7
10-02-05, 04:10 PM
:rolleyes: Geez, 43 cars running side-by-side, bumper to fender for 3 or 4 hours at nearly 200mph and gobs of cars get together every once in awhile for a massive pileup.

Who'd have thunk. :gomer:

RTKar
10-02-05, 05:34 PM
Talledaga, "Home Of the Big One" as SPEED so proudly announced during the Petit broadcast :shakehead

Sean O'Gorman
10-02-05, 06:24 PM
I hate Talladega. :shakehead

TKGAngel
10-02-05, 06:29 PM

I'm cheesed off since I picked Martin, Waltrip and Jun-yer for the OC Yahoo league. Coupled with Schrader's crash at the end, I'm probably going to finish DFL for the week. Yay. :cry:

spinner26
10-02-05, 07:05 PM

Why? Hate NASCAR, hate restictor plates but don't hate Dega, it's a great track and it should NEVER go away.

I think the Frances, restictor plates and anyone scared to run what they brung without cheating should leave. Jmo!

NismoZ
10-02-05, 08:08 PM
So, you advocate a 9 car field, then? :p

NismoZ
10-02-05, 08:13 PM
Am I wrong or was it DJ who was complaining the loudest about NASCAR and the unfair application of rules enforcement and lack of sanctions on the cheaters? Guess NASCAB just shut HIM up! :D :rofl:

Wally
10-02-05, 09:38 PM
So just how many teeth do you people have? ;)

Lizzerd
10-03-05, 01:56 AM
I watched some of that race, and I'm reminded of a scene from one of the funniest television shows out there.

Have you ever seen "Malcom in the Middle"? The comedy is really bizzare. It always starts with a short scene before the credits and intro that has nothing to do with the show that follows. In case you don't know, Malcom is a teen age "genius" that is a social outcast (along with the rest of his family). The opening scene for one episode was a shot of Malcom watching, in utter amazement, the scene on his television. What was on his television? An accelerated video of grass growing.

Watching a restrictor plate race is like watching grass grow at 190 MPH, and if I seemed to imply that NASCAR fans are geniuses, recall that I said that the TV show was comedy.

JohnHKart
10-03-05, 02:50 AM
I agree with all you guys. It's boring, it's horrible and I hate it too. The only thing good about the plate races is the last 20 laps, and that's all I will watch.

John

Jervis Tetch 1
10-03-05, 10:04 AM
I agree with all you guys. It's boring, it's horrible and I hate it too. The only thing good about the plate races is the last 20 laps, and that's all I will watch.

JohnVery, very hard to find something wrong with that post. Totally agree.

Tifosi24
10-03-05, 10:48 AM
The fans started talking yesterday if you looked at the stands at Talledega. From the long shots across the track and from the on-board cameras the back stretch stands were over half empty and there were a lot of empty seats in the main grandstands, in fact the lower level of the T4 stands were completely empty. It is likely a fact of Dale Jr not being in the chase for the Cup, but maybe just maybe the fans are starting to stay away from these races.

racer2c
10-03-05, 10:54 AM
Larry McReynolds made a good point on Speed TV; he basically said that he's been in the business for 26 years and in that time he's seen the racing at 'dega go from no restrictor plates to large plates to small plates and it's always been the same results, ultimately coming down to the drivers. He said that 'bump drafting' has really only been used for the last 5 years and that NASCAR should change the hard bumpers used at the plate tracks.

Man, way more NASCAR than I want to know. :)

IlliniRacer
10-03-05, 12:09 PM
Larry McReynolds made a good point

I never thought I would see those words used together.

TKGAngel
10-03-05, 12:15 PM
There was a point during the race yesterday where they were showing Kenseth's (i think, but it might have been another Roushketeer) bumper reinforced with steel for this race. Maybe if NASCAR stopped with the unfair penalty nonsense and started legislating the stuff that encourages bump drafting, maybe they wouldn't have the big one every time (and by default the drivers whining afterward).

As to the empty stands, could maybe they be a result of the hurricanes hitting the Gulf Coast? Kind of hard to justify spending the money on race related expenses when you dont have a pot to *$#@ in at home.

cart7
10-03-05, 12:37 PM
$100 + dollar tickets and $3 a gallon gas tends to hurt the gate.

Cam
10-03-05, 01:14 PM
$100 + dollar tickets and $3 a gallon gas tends to hurt the gate.

Didn't stop some friends of mine from driving down from Indy for it.... :rolleyes: :gomer:

Andrew Longman
10-03-05, 01:18 PM
There was a point during the race yesterday where they were showing Kenseth's (i think, but it might have been another Roushketeer) bumper reinforced with steel for this race. Maybe if NASCAR stopped with the unfair penalty nonsense and started legislating the stuff that encourages bump drafting, maybe they wouldn't have the big one every time (and by default the drivers whining afterward).

As to the empty stands, could maybe they be a result of the hurricanes hitting the Gulf Coast? Kind of hard to justify spending the money on race related expenses when you dont have a pot to *$#@ in at home.

Good point, but Fontana and Dover had lots of empty seats too.

Clearly NASCAR is doomed. :gomer:

My son said they claimed they had sold tickets for Dega to people in all 50 states and sumpin' like 12 countries.

In all seriousness, I think NASCAR has peaked. The chase did create a bump last year and must be called a success, but the bump was not huge and many saw it as the gimmick it is. I haven't seen ratings for this year's chase, but I wouldn't be surprised if once the weather cools and football settles in that NASCAR numbers begin to trend the wrong way.

Over the next few years I suspect that NASCAR will find that their growth strategy of moving to bigger markets no longer will be giving the growth of the past. I'm sure, for example, that they will be dissapointed with racing on Staten Island. Racing in Mexico and Canada is a possibility, but not if it expands an already too long schedule.

If I were them, long term I would want to put the NASCAR brand on more entertainment products. A completely Canadian or Mexican Series for example. Or another series running midweek in prime time. Or a road racing series. Or a more "unlimited" class. Perhaps the "Hooters Desperate Housewives SUV Championship Hunt for the Cup" OC dreamed up. :D

One way or the other though they can only get so much out of cookie cutter racing among boring drivers.

Wait, maybe Danica can save them! ;)

RTKar
10-05-05, 09:50 PM
I'm cheesed off since I picked Martin, Waltrip and Jun-yer for the OC Yahoo league. Coupled with Schrader's crash at the end, I'm probably going to finish DFL for the week. Yay. :cry:

Not me :cool:

call me Bubba :gomer:

racer2c
10-05-05, 09:54 PM
I never thought I would see those words used together.

Hell, I don't even know who that redeck is. Just some Deliverance f'r who made millions "wrenchin' stawk cawrs" I s'pose. :)

Methanolandbrats
10-05-05, 09:55 PM
Hell, I don't even know who that redeck is. Just some Deliverance f'r who made millions "wrenchin' stawk cawrs" I s'pose. :)
:rofl: