PDA

View Full Version : Serenity

B3RACER1a
10-01-05, 01:21 PM
For those who ever watched Firefly and for those who havent, go see this movie. It is what the new Star Wars movies should have been. Great characters, action, and most importantly, integrity in the characters. GO SEE IT. :thumbup:

indyfan31
10-01-05, 03:35 PM
It's on my list, loved the show, and PO'ed when it was cancelled.
Anyway, from the look of the previews, I can see Joss Whedon's humor coming through.

KLang
10-01-05, 06:53 PM
Does the movie make sense if you haven't seen the series?

It got a pretty good write up in the Houston paper.

anait
10-01-05, 07:51 PM
Seeing it tomorrow afternoon. Can't wait. Love the series. I had dismissed the series when I first heard of it, because I hate nearly everything 'western', and couldn't believe that even Joss Whedon could get me interested. But I happened to flip onto the beginning of the pilot (the REAL pilot episode, the two hour ep entitled 'Serenity' that the network was SUPPOSED to run first, b/c if they had, they would have got a huge number of people hooked and we'd be enjoying season, what, 3?? of Firefly...yes, I'm bitter :flame: ).

Anyway - I didn't move from in front of the TV for the entire two hours. Those characters had me, hook line and sinker. Perfectly drawn characters, fantastic dialogue, cool sets and settings, Joss Whedon's trademark dry, biting wit, dark humour and socio-political commentary...and lotsa shooting!!!! :) And enough eye candy for both me and mr anait. :cool:

"Let's go be bad guys."

anait
10-01-05, 07:58 PM
Does the movie make sense if you haven't seen the series?

It got a pretty good write up in the Houston paper.

Apparently they hit a very good balance - enough back story/recap from the series to make things clear for new viewers, but not too much for previous fans. :) Got a 4 out of 5 in our paper, and CNN's movie reviewer liked it. Ebert and Roeper are scheduled to give their review tonight.

Stu
10-01-05, 08:55 PM
Movie was great, just got home from seeing it.

Ladyfriend saw it, she followed it for the most part and had never seen an episode. She was confused for about 10 minutes, but was good to go after that. I felt they did a great thing filling in the story for those who hadnt seen it, nothing was redundant, everything made sense.

I LOVED how they kept the movie true to the show in that there were no sound effects in space. :thumbup:

I wouldn't say that this movie is what Star Wars should have been, since the only thing it shares in common with Star Wars is that its in space, but it was still sweet.

Only about 15 people in my theater on a Saturday evening though. :thumdown:

Ankf00
10-01-05, 09:37 PM
Only about 15 people in my theater on a Saturday evening though. :thumdown:

PERFECT! No teenyboppers with cell phones, no crying children, no wankers who laugh at every line/pun at a decibal level of 1395329423...

Stu
10-01-05, 10:05 PM
PERFECT! No teenyboppers with cell phones, no crying children, no wankers who laugh at every line/pun at a decibal level of 1395329423...

Oh yea it was great for that, but it would have been nice to see some more people there since it was a good movie that no one is going to see.

Gnam
10-03-05, 12:14 PM
Good movie. I also missed the TV series on Fox, but caught the reruns on the SciFi channel. So while I think the movie stands alone, I had the knowledge from 13 episodes to fall back on. Read somewhere it cost $40 million to make, and opening weekend brought in $10 million. Hope word of mouth brings 'em in.

anait
10-03-05, 12:22 PM
:thumbup: Loved it. They did do an excellent job of filling in back story quickly, without it seeming like, 'Okay, for those of you who don't know...'

Can't wait to see it again.