PDA

View Full Version : Road & Track magazine - any readers here?

Anteater
09-30-05, 02:17 PM
Do any of you currently read this magazine, or have you in the past? I've visited the magazine's website (which features AJ Allmendinger's diary :) ), but don't know much about it it beyond that. Any input would be appreciated--I'll tell you why later.

RichK
09-30-05, 04:19 PM
I'm a huge fan of Peter Egan. As soon as R&T shows up, all other activity ceases until I've read his column.

I think Road & Track is miles ahead of any other car magazine, although I miss their previous devotion to more "Track" stuff. I don't like Joe Rusz' columns much because they are heavily IRL biased, but you can't have it all.

Al Czervik
09-30-05, 05:09 PM
The best domestic car mag out there, IMHO. Damning with faint praise, I know, but none the less...

Peter Egan's "Side Glances" is worth the price of the subscription. Their motorsports coverage took kind of an EARL slant a couple of years ago (Tom Tuttle wrote a bunch of articles), but it seems to have come around in the last year or so.

Comparison tests are scored on actual performance numbers, as opposed to CandD doing the tests, then scoring on what they think vs. what the numbers are.

I just re-upped for 3 years at $28.00 total. Well worth it in my book.

CARTNUT
09-30-05, 05:21 PM
I haven't read Road & Track for years, but I always remember reading this short story called A Nice Morning Drive (http://www.mgbexperience.com/article/nice-drive.php) when I was a kid. I could totally relate to it when I was a teenager and I would often trek off to my uncle's farm in the country on Sunday mornings and take his little sports car for a cruise around the winding back roads. What a rush!

Times like those turned me into a car lover and a race fan.

'NUT ;)

RichK
09-30-05, 05:22 PM
and I would often trek off to my uncle's farm in the country on Sunday mornings and take his little sports car for a cruise around the winding back roads. What a rush!

Neil, is that you? ;) :laugh:

CARTNUT
09-30-05, 05:35 PM
Neil, is that you? ;) :laugh:

(well, that was quick!) :D

RacinM3
09-30-05, 06:22 PM
The only car mag I've gotten continually since I was in 6th grade.

Anteater, you getting a job there or something? (They're based in Newport Beach.)

RichK
09-30-05, 08:03 PM
Anteater, you getting a job there or something? (They're based in Newport Beach.)

If that's true, I'm offically going to die from envy!

Anteater
09-30-05, 08:48 PM
No need to die of envy just yet; it's just that I'm in the throes of a major career crisis and have been thinking about my options. Thank you very much for your comments; I respect the opinions of my fellow OCers in these matters. I now have a copy of the magazine, and it looks pretty good!

racer2c
09-30-05, 10:49 PM
For almost two decades I had practically all car magazines and racing magazines delivered to my mailbox. From ICR, to Autoweek, Car and Driver to Road and Track. You name it, I got it (and still have them nicely boxed in the attic).

There was a time when they were all pleasantly unique and then as time they just become shadows of each other. Finally one day on a whim I cancelled them all (spurred by the anti-CART rhetoric coming from AutoWeak). It was refreshing, like quiting crack not that I know what quiting crack is like (not that I do crack LOL). Last month I was waiting for new tires to be mounted on my truck and I picked up a recent Motor Trend (always the weakest (and most paid off car mag) and flipped through the pages, looking at the pics of many uninspired new cars. I threw it back on the table after a quick scan thinking, "man, I'm glad I don't pay for this garbage anymore".

R&T was the best of the car mags if I had to pick one. They had the most integrity even if it was mainly filled with exotics. But I'd rather read about cars I want but can't afford, then cars I can afford but don't want.

nrc
10-01-05, 01:17 PM
R&T was always a bit dry for my taste. As r2c mentioned, there's not much to choose between them these days. They're all pretty much just a stone's throw from a paid advertising section. Check out the old content from C&D's 50th anniversary issue for a good point of reference.

Sean O'Gorman
10-01-05, 02:23 PM
I haven't picked up any in awhile, but I always thought Road & Track was decent, Car & Driver was "readable", and Motor Trend just awful.

Ankf00
10-01-05, 06:21 PM
I used to have an R&T subscription. As stated, Peter Egan's articles are fantastic.