PDA

View Full Version : Houston update

KLang
09-30-05, 12:08 PM
According to a thread over at dolan's place, ALMS will be joining Champ Car in Houston. :thumbup:

Also: http://www.grandprixofhouston.com/

The site is a little lacking for content at the moment. :p

NismoZ
09-30-05, 12:13 PM
Rumored at other sites as well, along with Long Beach. That would be the "two west of the Mississippi" speculated upon earlier...though I was hoping to see ChampCar at that 4.5 mi. monster course in Utah! :)

FTG
09-30-05, 12:16 PM
I'll go out on a limb here. I don't see them running together unless a mutual sponsor is paying for it.

KLang
09-30-05, 12:38 PM
Here is the source (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/roadracing/auto/19905/)

And while it may not be Atherton’s job to announce manufacturer and team plans for the future, it is his responsibility to formulate and announce the ’06 schedule; one that features “two spectacular new venues” and a 50/50 split of the television package between SPEED Channel and CBS.

Along with traditional venues like Sebring, Mid-Ohio, Portland, Road America, Mosport, Road Atlanta, Laguna Seca and a reprise of this year’s Lime Rock event, the ALMS calendar includes the new Houston street circuit (with the Champ Car World Series) and the new road course near Salt Lake City.

FCYTravis
09-30-05, 12:43 PM
Rumored at other sites as well, along with Long Beach.
Long Beach might be going Grand-Am. Now wouldn't that be interesting... :laugh: :p

Houston... a night Champ Car race on the streets, would it be too much to hope for a night ALMS race on the streets too?? :eek: :cool:

KLang
09-30-05, 12:50 PM
Houston... a night Champ Car race on the streets, would it be too much to hope for a night ALMS race on the streets too?? :eek: :cool:

From the Phillips article:

More than half the races will be staged on Saturday afternoons/evenings (Houston will be Friday evening), a feature Atherton says plays to ALMS’s unique strengths even as it avoids going head-to-head with the 800–lb gorilla of American motorsports.

That sews it up. I'm definitely getting a room in town. :cool:

cameraman
09-30-05, 12:52 PM
ALMS announces their schedule at 11 AM today so it should be out by now.

FCYTravis
09-30-05, 12:54 PM
SCORE!

extramundane
09-30-05, 03:01 PM
SCORE!

But..but...but...Gerry Forsythe's gonna screw the ALMS again!

:gomer: :gomer: :gomer:

FCYTravis
09-30-05, 03:30 PM
Don't forget Mexico. And Miami. Just keep repeating those two words over and over and over again, as if it means anything, ala brucie.

Because CHAMP CAR HATSE ALMS AND WANTS 2 KILL IT!!!1!!1!one!!eleventy!1

:shakehead

extramundane
09-30-05, 07:39 PM
Don't forget Mexico. And Miami. Just keep repeating those two words over and over and over again, as if it means anything, ala brucie.

Because CHAMP CAR HATSE ALMS AND WANTS 2 KILL IT!!!1!!1!one!!eleventy!1

:shakehead

Jaysus, I wonder why I even bother. Sometimes that place makes Trackforum seem like a citadel of enlightenment. :rolleyes:

G.
10-01-05, 12:09 AM
Jaysus, I wonder why I even bother. Sometimes that place makes Trackforum seem like a citadel of enlightenment. :rolleyes:which site?

trish
10-01-05, 07:31 AM
Speed Forums if I'm not mistaken.

Sean O'Gorman
10-01-05, 10:46 AM
I was thinking the IMSA forum. Every time I go read that place it is nothing but fantasy car counts (with no mention of drivers, of course) and uninformed Grand-Am bashing. I'm half convinced they don't even know actual racing goes on at ALMS events.

FCYTravis
10-01-05, 12:25 PM
Yep, the IMSA forums.

extramundane
10-01-05, 12:36 PM
which site?

Careful, man. You've outed yourself as a CCWS fan there, so youre bound to get labeled a troll before too long.

G.
10-01-05, 04:21 PM
Careful, man. You've outed yourself as a CCWS fan there, so youre bound to get labeled a troll before too long.Yeah, I just gave 'em no doubt.

Why is it called the IMSA forum? Dumb question, I know, but it's the American Le Mans forum, no?

FCYTravis
10-01-05, 04:31 PM
Because it used to be the "IMSA forum." Was hosted at IMSARacing.net.

Old habits die hard.

NismoZ
10-03-05, 04:47 PM
FCY, yep, your info was more up-to-date than mine, new(er) rumor has Grand Am with ChampCar at Long Beach. Good, I guess...I just didn''t figure it'd be a good "fit." Shows how much I know. :gomer: