PDA

View Full Version : Rita vs. Typhoon

Ankf00
09-30-05, 01:41 AM
Chevron-Texaco's Typhoon platform in the Gulf that is...

Before:
http://www.resourceinvestor.com/MediaLib/Images/Home/Blog/typhoon_up.png

After:
http://www.resourceinvestor.com/MediaLib/Images/Home/Blog/typhoon_over.png

GI'ed

Ankf00
09-30-05, 01:48 AM
damn...

CVX:
Typhoon Tension Leg Platform - Capsized (Semi Noble Max Smith passed 2.5
miles off)

Transocean:
Deepwater Nautilus - Aground
Transocean Marianas - Aground, Off location 140 miles

Diamond:
Ocean Star - Aground, Off location 100 miles Ocean Saratoga - Aground, Off
location 100 miles

Rowan:
Rowan Louisiana - Beached
Rowan Halifax - Off location
Rowan Odessa - Off location
Rowan Ft. Worth - Unaccounted for

GSF:
Adriatic VII - Unaccounted for
High Island III - Unaccounted for

Noble:
Noble Max Smith - Adrift, Off location 123 miles
Noble Therald Martin -Adrift, Off location 89 miles
Noble Paul Romano - Adrift, Off location 118 miles
Noble Amos Runner - Adrift, Off location 75 miles
Noble John Alford - Off location, 1 mile
Noble Lorris Bouzigard - Adrift, Off location 8 miles

coolhand
09-30-05, 02:17 AM
how many rigs are out there?

Ankf00
09-30-05, 09:06 AM
lots more, the path rita went through is some of the densest for natural gas & oil platforms

KLang
09-30-05, 09:09 AM
Hold on to your wallet. It's going to be a wild ride.

I read an article in the chronicle recently that there is talk of changing construction of these things so they can withstand a cat 5 hit. Not sure how they do that though.

Ankf00
09-30-05, 09:09 AM
so they can withstand a cat 5 hit. Not sure how they do that though.

$$$$$

KLang
09-30-05, 09:25 AM
$$$$$

Don't they already cost a bazillion $? Like I said, hold on to your wallet. :saywhat:

Wheel-Nut
09-30-05, 09:35 AM
Deepwater drilling is expensive and water is a powerful force to deal / design with, add some wind to the equation and you see what can happen.

Just looking at tension leg platforms, one with a basic understanding of physics can tell that thing is top heavy.

KLang is right, hold onto your wallet. Its all driven by us consumers . . .

Wheel-Nut
09-30-05, 09:48 AM

Rigzone is a very good source of information on platforms in the world. Do a search on the Gulf of Mexico.

http://www.rigzone.com/data/

RacinM3
09-30-05, 10:58 AM
If I didn't know better, I'd say this is what these companies deserve for their raping of the American public. Say what you will about the oil market, but all I know is the price goes up at the pump, while the stuff in the ground was paid for at yesterdays prices. But when the commodity price falls, it takes weeks for the price at the pump to start falling. That's gouging.

But, like I said, I know better, and I know who will ultimately foot the bill for this.

racer2c
09-30-05, 11:03 AM

I saw on the news that there are over 800 offshore rigs.

Rob
09-30-05, 11:20 AM
That reminds me, there's a very strong typhoon named Typhoon Longwang heading for Taiwan right now, with winds of 140 mph. You know you're a bad-ass if people call you "Longwang".

Dr. Corkski
09-30-05, 11:25 AM
That reminds me, there's a very strong typhoon named Typhoon Longwang heading for Taiwan right now, with winds of 140 mph. You know you're a bad-ass if people call you "Longwang".Who told you I am heading to Taiwan?

devilmaster
09-30-05, 11:47 AM
I suppose an idea would be to look at something like Hibernia as a rig that is supposed to withstand alot of punishment..... But hibernia was a big white elephant for Canada.....

http://www.petrocanada.ca/images_misc/HB2-58_72.jpg

Wheel-Nut
09-30-05, 12:25 PM
http://www.offshore-technology.com/projects/hibernia/

The info says Hibernia is in 80m deep water, or 262' for us non-metric folks. Deepwater drilling in the Gulf of Meixco occurs at depths of 1500' - 6000' or 457.2m - 1828.8m for you metric folks.

dando
09-30-05, 12:47 PM
From the WSJ through CNNMoney:

http://money.cnn.com/2005/09/30/news/economy/hurricane_repairs/index.htm?cnn=yes

Rita was a direct hit into the heart of Gulf oil production. If you think oil is bad, natural gas is going sky high this season and the following season. Some estimates are 2x heating bills into next (not just this coming) winter. :eek: With last year's colder the avg winter, I was paying $300+ per month. :( And I keep the heat down to 68-70 degrees. And heat ain't no luxury, folks.

-Kevin

dando
09-30-05, 12:57 PM
Oh, and there's another wave headed into the Gulf for development next week. Early models have a storm hitting Texas late next week, while another storms develops like Ophelia and hits the SE coast the middle of next week. :(

-Kevin

G.
09-30-05, 01:30 PM
Rita was a direct hit into the heart of Gulf oil production. If you think oil is bad, natural gas is going sky high this season and the following season. Some estimates are 2x heating bills into next (not just this coming) winter. :eek: With last year's colder the avg winter, I was paying $300+ per month. :( And I keep the heat down to 68-70 degrees. And heat ain't no luxury, folks.

-KevinI was finally going to put NG heat in my garage this year... :(

Al Czervik
09-30-05, 01:32 PM
Shoulda named the platform "Ditka"!

Gnam
09-30-05, 01:50 PM
Rita puts up a good fight, until Ditka finishes his high energy sports drink and gets up off the bench.

Ditka 21 - Rita 3

oddlycalm
09-30-05, 01:57 PM
Rowan Ft. Worth - Unaccounted for

GSF:
Adriatic VII - Unaccounted for
High Island III - Unaccounted for
I think I could make a pretty good stoner movie outa this... :cool: I'd start out with Cheech & Chong running the operation. How about "Dude Where's My Incredibly Giant Platform?" for a title? There could be a nice scene of Jimmy Buffet doing an air search in his seaplane. Losing one giant platform is one thing, but I'd like a scene where Cheech & Chong get to tell their stockholders that they lost two like GSF did.... :laugh:

Seriously, I'm assuming that companies equip their zillion dollar platforms with sophisticated locating equipment, so I'm guessing maybe these are sunk....?

oc

Wheel-Nut
09-30-05, 01:57 PM
From the WSJ through CNNMoney:

http://money.cnn.com/2005/09/30/news/economy/hurricane_repairs/index.htm?cnn=yes

-Kevin

Welcome to summer electric bills, every year, here in Houston! And A/C ain't no luxury down here!

Al Czervik
09-30-05, 01:58 PM
http://snltranscripts.jt.org/91/91asuperfans.phtml

Bob Swerski.....George Wendt
Pat Arnold.....Mike Myers
Todd O'Conner.....Chris Farley
Carl Wollarski.....Rob Smigel
.....Michael Jordan

Bob: Hello my friends, and welcome to another Bill swerski Super Fans. I’m Bob Swerski, sitting in for my brother Bill, who is recovering from his most recent heart attack and with me as always, The Super Fans. Pat Arnold.

Pat: Hey Bob.

Bob: Carl Wollarski.

Carl: Hey Bob.

Bob: And Todd O’Conner.

Todd: How are ya’ Bob?

Bob: Real good. We are coming to you as always, from Ditka’s Restaurant in Chicago, IL. Birth place of the baby back rib, and home to a certain undefeated team, in witch come January will be hosting, hoisting, a certain Super Bowl Trophy over it’s collective head. A team that is known as, DA Bears!

Together: Da Bears!!

Todd: (Burp) that’s was me!

Bob: Very nice, alright, by the way I should mention that Todd, was kind of enough to show up today. Even though earlier this week, he had yet another heart attack.

Todd: It’s alright Bob; actually this one was really just fibulation. So I just got to limit my Pork intake to Four Hundred grams a day!

Carl: Yeah it’s Tuff.

Todd: Yeah, well the doc says, I have a small piece of Polish Sausage, lodged in the lining of my heart.

Bob: Good luck with that. Now let’s turn our attention to another dynasty in progress, Da Bulls!

Together: Da Bulls!!

Bob: Ok Gentleman, the Bulls are preparing to defend their crown, and gentleman, the only question is not will they repeat, but how many times?

Pat: You know, I I don’t think were talking a repeat, a three peat, or even a four peat.

Carl: That’s right, were talking a minimum eight peat.

Todd: Absolutely.

Bob: Which brings us to our very special guest, you know him as the Airman.

Together: Da Air…….Man

Bob: Here he is Michael Jordan. (Michael Enters)….Alright, Michael I do know the boys have a lot of questions, so uh let’s get started. Gentleman.

Carl: Yeah well Michael uh, what about the Olympics. You’re representing our country. Isn’t there a concern that these games are a little lop sided?

Bob: Yeah, why don’t you just play these countries by yourself?

Todd: Yeah that’s a good idea.

Michael: I don’t think they would let me do that, guys.

Carl: What if you could have two players? Say you, and a certain coach Ditka.

Pat: That’s already unfair again.

Todd: Yeah that’s no contest.

Bob: If I may shift gears for a moment gentleman, coach Ditka vs. The Hurricane, who would win?

Todd, Pat, Carl: Ditka, Ditka!!

Bob: Hold on, Hold on, Hold on. The name of the Hurricane is Hurricane Ditka.

(Todd begins to pound chest)…..Is everything ok?

Todd: No problem, just having a heart attack. (Pounds Chest)……..Almost over! Done. Done.

Bob: Very good. Very nice recovery, now how many heart attacks is that for you Todd?

Todd: That make’s a baker’s dozen for me.

Carl: Yeah, I’ve only had six.

Bob: Well that’s something to shoot for Carl.

KLang
09-30-05, 02:23 PM
Seriously, I'm assuming that companies equip their zillion dollar platforms with sophisticated locating equipment, so I'm guessing maybe these are sunk....?

oc

I read somewhere recently that most if not all are equiped with GPS monitoring systems. Probably either sunk or damaged enough to put the GPS stuff out of commission.

Anyone know if these things are insured?

KLang
09-30-05, 02:26 PM
Welcome to summer electric bills, every year, here in Houston! And A/C ain't no luxury down here!

Yep, even without the current mess our rates are way up over last year. We were at around $350 a month this summer. Last year was around $250.

dando
09-30-05, 02:36 PM
Yep, even without the current mess our rates are way up over last year. We were at around $350 a month this summer. Last year was around $250.
Heating bills ~3 years ago were $125 or so, which means a 4x increase in 4 years. :saywhat: I maxed out @ ~$150 for electric during the summer during this year's hot summer (hot by our standards).

-Kevin

oddlycalm
09-30-05, 04:43 PM
I read somewhere recently that most if not all are equiped with GPS monitoring systems. Probably either sunk or damaged enough to put the GPS stuff out of commission.

Anyone know if these things are insured? IIRC Lloyds insures most platforms, so thing must be ugly for some of their syndicates just now.

My expectation is that they would have locating equipment, but then I never seem to run out of world class oversights to read about. After all, why bother to spend $1500 to protect your $100 million investment... :gomer:

oc

RichK
09-30-05, 04:51 PM
How about "Dude Where's My Incredibly Giant Platform?" for a title?

:laugh: :laugh:

Napoleon
09-30-05, 05:15 PM
I read an article yesterday that gasoline usage in the effected zone was 4 to 5 times the average use for a comparable time period as people fled. Combine that with lost production as facilities were down and there is a real hole in supplies. The article said that refiners had not switched production over to home heating oil (fuel oil #2, basically diesel) to have enough capacity to make a dent in loss of gasoline, but that as winter approaches they are going to have to switch some of it over. The article claimed that was the motivation for Prez. Bush the other day calling for people to begin to conserve gas, because a supply disruption that is coming as refining capacity is switched over.

coolhand
09-30-05, 05:19 PM
Hold on to your wallet. It's going to be a wild ride.

I read an article in the chronicle recently that there is talk of changing construction of these things so they can withstand a cat 5 hit. Not sure how they do that though.

anything can happen if you devout the money and manpower to it.

coolhand
09-30-05, 05:23 PM
I think I could make a pretty good stoner movie outa this... :cool: I'd start out with Cheech & Chong running the operation. How about "Dude Where's My Incredibly Giant Platform?" for a title? There could be a nice scene of Jimmy Buffet doing an air search in his seaplane. Losing one giant platform is one thing, but I'd like a scene where Cheech & Chong get to tell their stockholders that they lost two like GSF did.... :laugh:

oc

radar and satillites shold be able to find them if they were still alfoat, but who knows when this list was generated.

i dont knwo much about this industry

cameraman
10-02-05, 01:12 AM
GlobalSantaFe Corp. has located its two missing jackup rigs in shallow waters off the Louisiana coast, 80 mi from their drilling sites. The GSF Adriatic VII and GSF High Island III appeared to have sustained severe damage during Hurricane Rita, but a thorough assessment is required before the company can determine the extent of damage and economic feasibility of repairs. Assessment teams have boarded and begun inspecting the rigs.

Adriatic VII in transit a while ago.
http://www.colouredfin.com/gallery/pix002.jpg

Ankf00
10-02-05, 01:44 AM
yea, they're insured, rates will increase, our costs as consumers will increase, talk about suck...

Bruce Jefferis, managing director for Aon Natural Resources, said it is too early to put a dollar figure on damage to offshore Gulf of Mexico operations, but the insurance brokerage firm for energy companies has spent days listening to horror stories.

Jefferis is predicting insurance rates will soar and repair costs will quickly outstrip those of Hurricane Katrina and last summer's Ivan.

"Our estimate is that it will be bigger ... particularly the drilling fleet," he said.

more than 5% of the annual domestic Nat Gas production has been ruined by this hurricane season according to the us minerals or whatever department/survey/whatever in this morning's Chronicle...