PDA

View Full Version : Attention Indy area residents

Ed_Severson
09-29-05, 06:44 PM
If any of you folks have browsed through the news at Champ Car's website recently, you may have noticed this item (http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=9717). Here's a short excerpt:

INDIANAPOLIS (September 29, 2005) - The Champ Car World Series has always been a destination for the world's top young driving talent, but on Friday the focus will shift toward finding the next generation of those that make the Champ Cars run.

The series will look to expose aspiring engineers to the world of Champ Car racing by participating in Motorsports at IUPUI Day on the downtown campus of Indiana University - Purdue University Indianapolis. The program, put together by the Purdue School of Engineering & Technology, will feature exhibits from Champ Car, Cosworth Racing, SCCA, USAC and Formula BMW in a four-hour program designed to show prospective engineering students some of the opportunities available to them in racing.

In addition to these exhibits, there will be discussions with Scott Elkins, a few of our students who drive in USAC series, and engineers from Champ Car teams. We'll also have an SCCA car on display which is driven by one of our professors, and the IRL will be there with their two-seater and some safety equipment (insert joke here).

I've been somewhat involved in the planning of this event, and this is a big deal at IUPUI. We'd love to have as many people as possible come to this thing, so that it becomes worthwhile for our guests and we can make it an annual event. Although the event is primarily for our current students, we are also looking to use it as a recruiting tool for prospective students, as well as to market IUPUI to the Indianapolis community, particularly the racing community.

I would like to personally invite any of you who are able to come out and support this event. And if you do come, please be nice to the folks from the IRL, just this one time. :) The event is tomorrow (that's Friday, Sept. 30th) from 10 AM to 2 PM on the campus of IUPUI in downtown Indianapolis. If you do plan to come, please do spread the word.

Mods, I would appreciate a sticky for this, if you can. Thanks!

Cam
09-29-05, 07:10 PM
Jeez.... Thanks for the advance notice Ed! :rolleyes: :D ;)

Ed_Severson
09-29-05, 08:05 PM
Yeah, sorry about that. I just got back from Vegas yesterday (internet service at the Flamingo sucks, for future reference), and had an exam and a presentation about 45 minutes after I got off the plane.

Surely you can wake up sick tomorrow morning. ;) :thumbup:

Jervis Tetch 1
09-30-05, 12:02 AM
Good luck Ed. Please let us know how it goes. I can't make it. Live in LA :gomer:

devilmaster
09-30-05, 03:00 AM
Surely you can wake up sick tomorrow morning. ;) :thumbup:

Oh he can.... he got a day off with one day's notice from me when I pulled into town to visit... ;)

Cam
09-30-05, 06:54 AM
Oh he can.... he got a day off with one day's notice from me when I pulled into town to visit... ;)

SSSHHH!!!!! Dont tell secrets! LOL

I might be able to sneak out for an hour. Gotta figure out how I am gonna "borrow" my step-daughters parking pass....

Wabbit
09-30-05, 10:09 AM
I should send my niece down there with a camera. She goes to IUPUI.

Ed_Severson
10-01-05, 12:41 PM
Quick update on the event ...

Overall, we had a great day. Things were well beyond what we had hoped for, so I think we can safely call the event a success. We drew a lot of interest from students, and a few passers-by, as well as at least one person from the online forums, who has already posted a photo journal (http://homepage.mac.com/ampoulos/PhotoAlbum53.html), so thanks to him for that.

All of our guests were well-behaved and seemed to have a good time; the folks from Champ Car did an especially great job. They were there with lots of promotional stuff, and were really enthusiastic about the event. The guys from the IRL brought no promotional stuff at all ... they missed out on a good opportunity. The best part of the day for me was talking with Scott Elkins, the Director of Technology for Champ Car. I think I can safely say we're in pretty good hands with him. :thumbup:

Don't know if any of you guys were able to make it or not ... nobody introduced themselves as anybody from OC, but maybe you're just shy. At any rate, if anybody from here was there, I hope you enjoyed it, and if you couldn't make it, I promise you bigger and better things next year ... and more advanced notice, too! :gomer:

Jervis Tetch 1
10-01-05, 11:59 PM
Quick update on the event ...

Overall, we had a great day. Things were well beyond what we had hoped for, so I think we can safely call the event a success. We drew a lot of interest from students, and a few passers-by, as well as at least one person from the online forums, who has already posted a photo journal (http://homepage.mac.com/ampoulos/PhotoAlbum53.html), so thanks to him for that.

All of our guests were well-behaved and seemed to have a good time; the folks from Champ Car did an especially great job. They were there with lots of promotional stuff, and were really enthusiastic about the event. The guys from the IRL brought no promotional stuff at all ... they missed out on a good opportunity. The best part of the day for me was talking with Scott Elkins, the Director of Technology for Champ Car. I think I can safely say we're in pretty good hands with him. :thumbup:

Don't know if any of you guys were able to make it or not ... nobody introduced themselves as anybody from OC, but maybe you're just shy. At any rate, if anybody from here was there, I hope you enjoyed it, and if you couldn't make it, I promise you bigger and better things next year ... and more advanced notice, too! :gomer:
Thanks for the update. I'm very happy it was a success :thumbup:

"...they missed out on a good opportunity."

That says it all about the I*L. But I'm very happy they were treated well. That should say it all about Champ Car people. :thumbup: