PDA

View Full Version : This guy gets it.

TorontoWorker
09-29-05, 08:18 AM
http://www.racingpress.com/publish/tjow092705.shtml

Andrew Longman
09-29-05, 08:53 AM
"Clearly, it is not all about Indy anymore" Actually, isn't that about the only thing left that works at all?

"Where's that hammer now, Mr. George?" Bouncing off his foot I presume.

"The IRL is compacting" Imploding seems more the word.
:rofl:

Honesty, I can't find anything wrong with what he said.

Also I liked learning about changes to MIPS and the Atlantics comparison. I had paid no attention to MIPS changes. Can't see any point at all in running MIPS given changes to Atlantics. Costs, equipment, hp, venues, schedule, and the opportunity for a $2million ride for the champion make it a no brainer. How will they get even 12 cars is a mystery. How it will survive more than a year or two is as well.

NismoZ
09-29-05, 09:39 AM
Don't ya just LOVE reading stuff you agree with!? :thumbup:

CART T. Katz
09-29-05, 10:30 AM
you can talk to the guy about it at dolan's forum here (http://www.mikescomputersllc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1840)

Easy
09-29-05, 10:32 AM
He is/was a TF guy too.

trauma1
09-29-05, 03:39 PM
the gomers at dolans are in a foul mood, i'm laughing at thier wildass accusations against everyone, seems we all thave 10 handels there according to the crackforum crowd and f he let depenster back

oddlycalm
09-29-05, 05:02 PM
"Clearly, it is not all about Indy anymore" Actually, isn't that about the only thing left that works at all? You're right. John's gets a lot of specifics right but he missed the side of the barn on that. Indy is all the EARL had when it began, and a vastly degraded i500 is the only tangible asset today.

I think he also misses in the last paragraph where he concludes that NASCAR is on solid ground because it has the clearest vision. Our markets are thoroughly controlled by commercial interests, so we celebrate profitable mediocrity instead of real achievement. NASCAR is on solid ground commercially in North American because it's been dumbed down to appeal to mass market audiences that don't know a thing about race cars or driving, not because it is great motorsport. Little that represents the highest level of human achievment in any field of endeavor is popular in the US, and that includes motor racing.

oc

Gnam
09-29-05, 05:14 PM
Little that represents the highest level of human achievment in any field of endeavor is popular in the US, and that includes motor racing.
Why soccer is great in 3...2...1... :p

oddlycalm
09-29-05, 06:05 PM
Why soccer is great in 3...2...1... :p Soccer is a game and firmly in the stick and ball category, it's just the rest-of-the world version.

Personally, I think the time is right for the Bimbo Series, or BS for short. The BS would be a series where semi-stock template SUV's on tube chassis plastered with advertising are driven by women that are attractive in the current femal pop music vein ala Britney Spears,etc. and have a prime time TV reality show tie-in. I'm thinking a series of 15 races on paved short tracks would be about right. Saturday night in East Fleabite with the bimbos of BS. :thumbup: Complete with girl on girl fights with hair pulling after wrecks and a silly season fraught with carnality and crew chief swapping. Start with field of 20 and drop the last place finisher each week until you get down to five. The winner would get $1 million dollars, a bimbo pink with too much chrome pickup truck and a new double wide for her momma.... :gomer: Lets see how long NASCAR stays top dog.

oc

Andrew Longman
09-29-05, 07:10 PM
Soccer is a game and firmly in the stick and ball category, it's just the rest-of-the world version.

Personally, I think the time is right for the Bimbo Series, or BS for short. The BS would be a series where semi-stock template SUV's on tube chassis plastered with advertising are driven by women that are attractive in the current femal pop music vein ala Britney Spears,etc. and have a prime time TV reality show tie-in. I'm thinking a series of 15 races on paved short tracks would be about right. Saturday night in East Fleabite with the bimbos of BS. :thumbup: Complete with girl on girl fights with hair pulling after wrecks and a silly season fraught with carnality and crew chief swapping. Start with field of 20 and drop the last place finisher each week until you get down to five. The winner would get $1 million dollars, a bimbo pink with too much chrome pickup truck and a new double wide for her momma.... :gomer: Lets see how long NASCAR stays top dog.oc

Take the first half of that and you have the first few years of NCTS, or Supertrucks, as they were known then. Think about it, racing a pick up truck was as stupid then as racing a Chevy Suburban now but it worked. And they started out racing on 1/4 -1/2 mile local tracks like Flemington.

The time may have actually passed given the price of gas and the sudden/pending disinterest in SUVs but five years ago you probably could have pulled it off. All women, a few older racing types, some up and comers, some otherwise stay at home moms who race on Saturday night, some single gals who just like hanging out with lots of guys, a few bad girls by varied definitions on and off the track.

Do it on an off night like Wednesday in prime time on Speed and you probably have a winner at least equal to NCTS. In time it could be actually eclipse it and become a network deal. Hooters would certainly get a better return than the wanker stuff they sponsor now.

OC you are brilliant if only a little late! :thumbup:

Napoleon
09-29-05, 07:20 PM
Little that represents the highest level of human achievment in any field of endeavor is popular in the US, and that includes motor racing.

oc

Sadly those maybe the truest words ever spoken here.

Napoleon
09-29-05, 07:23 PM
Soccer is a game and firmly in the stick and ball category, it's just the rest-of-the world version.

Personally, I think the time is right for the Bimbo Series, or BS for short. The BS would be a series where semi-stock template SUV's on tube chassis plastered with advertising are driven by women that are attractive in the current femal pop music vein ala Britney Spears,etc. and have a prime time TV reality show tie-in. I'm thinking a series of 15 races on paved short tracks would be about right. Saturday night in East Fleabite with the bimbos of BS. :thumbup: Complete with girl on girl fights with hair pulling after wrecks and a silly season fraught with carnality and crew chief swapping. Start with field of 20 and drop the last place finisher each week until you get down to five. The winner would get $1 million dollars, a bimbo pink with too much chrome pickup truck and a new double wide for her momma.... :gomer: Lets see how long NASCAR stays top dog.

oc

Classic - post of the month.

cart7
09-29-05, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by oddlycalm

Personally, I think the time is right for the Bimbo Series, or BS for short. The BS would be a series where semi-stock template SUV's on tube chassis plastered with advertising are driven by women that are attractive in the current femal pop music vein ala Britney Spears,etc. and have a prime time TV reality show tie-in. I'm thinking a series of 15 races on paved short tracks would be about right. Saturday night in East Fleabite with the bimbos of BS. Complete with girl on girl fights with hair pulling after wrecks and a silly season fraught with carnality and crew chief swapping. Start with field of 20 and drop the last place finisher each week until you get down to five. The winner would get $1 million dollars, a bimbo pink with too much chrome pickup truck and a new double wide for her momma.... Lets see how long NASCAR stays top dog.

oc

Man, where do I get a T-shirt. :D

oddlycalm
09-30-05, 02:28 PM
prime time on Speed and you probably have a winner at least equal to NCTS. In time it could be actually eclipse it and become a network deal. Hooters would certainly get a better return than the wanker stuff they sponsor now. Yep, I seriously think it would do quite well commercially, which I find nauseating. Tony Johns may be correct that NASCAR has clear vision regarding what will be a commercial success, however he doesn't even attempt to addresss what would constitute a racing success because in the US that's not even part of the discussion.

This is also tangentially related to why Champcar is rises from the ashes as a street race series with drifting exhibitions and all sorts of other borrowed interest to pump up weekend attendence. The current reality is that if CCWS put a great road racing car on the track in 2007 with the best drivers that money could buy and self-promoted races at Laguna Seca, Mid-Ohio, Road America, etc., etc. it would quite probably be bankrupt by the end of the season. The market for high quality single seater racing competition will need to be rebuilt one fan at a time and it will have lean on plenty of artifice and borrowed interest in the mean time. :(

oc

stroker
10-02-05, 11:07 AM

oc

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"