PDA

View Full Version : "A little girl" could drive the V8

jonovision_man
09-29-05, 06:29 AM
From Autosport:

Zonta, in charge of driving the V8-engined Toyota in testing at Jerez this week, was critical of the new power units, saying it makes the driving too easy and boring.

"It is just like a video game. It is dead easy to drive, not physical at all, therefore not a challenge. A little girl could drive that car," Zonta told Autosport-Atlas.

"It is not technical and you can afford to make mistakes, because you can still make the corner or the line, there is so much time available.

"I suppose everyone would have this, but it is a bit boring."

:shakehead F1 is going in the wrong direction! :shakehead

jono

rosawendel
09-29-05, 07:41 AM
then there's hope for wheldon after all.

Insomniac
09-29-05, 08:01 AM
Well, it's official, Danica to F1!

racer2c
09-29-05, 10:20 AM
Well, it's official, Danica to F1!

Touche! :thumbup:

racer2c
09-29-05, 10:21 AM
From Autosport:

:shakehead F1 is going in the wrong direction! :shakehead

jono

With all the time that the new engine allows for corning corrections (according to Zonta) it could make for much more passing opportunities.

jonovision_man
09-29-05, 10:30 AM
With all the time that the new engine allows for corning corrections (according to Zonta) it could make for much more passing opportunities.

How so? I would think less room for error means the door will be left open less often?

jono

racer2c
09-29-05, 10:33 AM
How so? I would think less room for error means the door will be left open less often?

jono

I interpret his comments as there being 'more' room for error allowing for more time for corner battles.

""It is not technical and you can afford to make mistakes, because you can still make the corner or the line, there is so much time available.""

Steve99
09-29-05, 12:18 PM
I wouldn't think V8 vs. V10 would really make that much different here. They'll soon claw back the HP.

B3RACER1a
09-29-05, 12:24 PM
What I dont get is why change the engine spec when the engine is not the problem! A high speed 175mph corner is going to be a 173 mph corner now, maybe even faster because the teams can move more ballast now.

CUT DOWNFORCE WITH NEW CHASSIS RULES...MAKE THEM LESS AERO SENSITIVE! LET THE ENGINES ROCK!

Its so simple and it escapes so many racing fans. DUH!!

RichK
09-29-05, 12:31 PM
I remember Jacques saying almost the same thing when the grooved tires were introduced. I think he compared the car with grooved tires to a Formula Ford.

After all the hoopla, the fastest drivers still won races the next year.

racer2c
09-29-05, 12:45 PM
I remember Jacques saying almost the same thing when the grooved tires were introduced. I think he compared the car with grooved tires to a Formula Ford.

After all the hoopla, the fastest drivers still won races the next year.

fastest drivers or richest teams? ;)

RichK
09-29-05, 01:10 PM
fastest drivers or richest teams? ;)

The fastest drivers are usually on the richest teams. For instance, that's why Danica is at Team Rahal - she was the fastest driver available to Bobby. :)

oddlycalm
09-29-05, 05:15 PM
All those that thought drivers would react positively to dropping the size and apparent power of the engine please raise their hand. :D Personally, I'm withholding judgement until Montoya's grandmother has had a chance to sort things out. It'll be interesting to see what the lap time differential is next year between F1 and GP2.

oc

jonovision_man
09-30-05, 07:52 PM
All those that thought drivers would react positively to dropping the size and apparent power of the engine please raise their hand. :D Personally, I'm withholding judgement until Montoya's grandmother has had a chance to sort things out. It'll be interesting to see what the lap time differential is next year between F1 and GP2.

oc

Sigh :shakehead It's all bad.

What'll be really interesting is the lap time differential next year between F1 and CCWS! Should be quite close. F1 designers have done a remarkable job of clawing back the seconds with every change that's been thrown at them, but the V8 is going to be tough to overcome short-term, to CCWS's benefit.

jono

Methanolandbrats
09-30-05, 09:03 PM
Well this is just dandy, now they've ****ed up F1. The only upside is there are no more race series to **** up.

Cam
09-30-05, 09:32 PM
Well this is just dandy, now they've ****ed up F1. The only upside is there are no more race series to **** up.

I was almost going to agree....... except..... V8 Supercars! :D

Jervis Tetch 1
10-01-05, 12:55 AM
then there's hope for wheldon after all. :rofl:

ilferrari
10-02-05, 03:08 PM
I don't think that cutting horsepower was a bad idea of Mosley (never thought i'd say that), it'll just make the cars a little more reasonable in terms of topspeed. The real damage to F1 cars was done several years ago.

Ankf00
10-02-05, 03:46 PM
so some top end is gone, the engines are still quick, the cars are still light, and the engineers will make them go faster yet...

oddlycalm
10-02-05, 03:56 PM
What I dont get is why change the engine spec when the engine is not the problem! Well yes, there is that minor detail of course. There you go trying to apply logic to what should be left to the emotional whims of wealthy power junkies whose impotence leaves jerking other people around their only outlet.

oc