PDA

View Full Version : IRL VP resigns

G.
09-27-05, 12:36 PM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050927/SPORTS01/509270471

Ken Ungar, the Indy Racing League's senior vice president of business affairs, resigned today.
Ungar was responsible for the league's sales, marketing, business development, licensing and public relations staffs for the past four years. He also led the coordination of the race schedules.

racer2c
09-27-05, 01:12 PM
Hey, another scapegoat for Nation to blame.

Don Quixote
09-27-05, 01:27 PM
Hey, another scapegoat for Nation to blame.

In a related matter, Ungar has also accepted responsibility for this year's hurricanes. I wonder if the gomers still think all is well?

indyfan31
09-27-05, 03:40 PM
In a related matter, Ungar has also accepted responsibility for this year's hurricanes. I wonder if the gomers still think all is well?
Asked and answered (http://www.trackforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66154)

rabbit
09-27-05, 03:55 PM
Asked and answered (http://www.trackforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66154)
Gleaned from one of the posts in that thread:
And I quote:
"NOTE: KEN UNGAR WAS INSTRUMENTAL IN GETTING DOWNFORCE OFF THE GROUND." :saywhat: :gomer:

http://www.tonyrenna.net/p1_brack_ap.jpg

It's starting to get redundant to say so, but you just can't make this stuff up.

NismoZ
09-27-05, 03:56 PM
Could he be the first rat, or have there already been others?

G.
09-27-05, 04:00 PM
Could he be the first rat, or have there already been others?I think Rahole deserves the First Rat title, for other reasons...

eiregosod
09-27-05, 05:33 PM
The GOMers are blaming all the EARL's shortcoming on Ungar! Its not the PR that is wrong :shakehead . Their way of thinking will keep the IRL in the doldrums for the next few seasons.

L1P1
09-27-05, 07:05 PM
The GOMers are blaming all the EARL's shortcoming on Ungar! Its not the PR that is wrong :shakehead . Their way of thinking will keep the IRL in the doldrums for the next few seasons.

I browsed around and hdolan, Oldtimer and Dick Ralstin seem to be seeing and writing clearly about the true cause.

cart7
09-27-05, 07:58 PM
I browsed around and hdolan, Oldtimer and Dick Ralstin seem to be seeing and writing clearly about the true cause.

A few of them are either just getting it now or have figured it out in the past couple years.

Methanolandbrats
09-27-05, 10:47 PM
Perhaps Mr. Ungar sees his current career path as somewhat of a dead end.

pineapple
09-27-05, 11:50 PM
Perhaps Mr. Ungar sees his current career path as somewhat of a dead end.
Going in circles is more like it.

Jervis Tetch 1
09-28-05, 09:52 AM
I guess the captain doesn't always go down with his ship. :laugh:

indyfan31
09-28-05, 09:57 AM
Now they're ripping into Dick Ralstin. When they start complaining about that guy's opinions they're completely lost.

Chief
09-28-05, 09:58 AM
Maybe hiring cronies from the Indianapolis area is not the best way to run a business. Maybe letting a myopic drug addict inheritor control open wheel racing is not a good idea either. "I Don't Know".

oddlycalm
09-28-05, 01:39 PM
Now they're ripping into Dick Ralstin. When they start complaining about that guy's opinions they're completely lost. Vermin can be counted on to attack their own species in times of stress.

oc

Andrew Longman
09-28-05, 02:55 PM

True. I noticed that yesterday. But Doc Austin is also saying that Watkins Glen was the best OW road race of the year (in any series).

I just don't know how to respond to that.

cameraman
09-28-05, 03:03 PM
Why waste your time responding to an idiot.

formulaben
09-28-05, 03:12 PM
True. I noticed that yesterday. But Doc Austin is also saying that Watkins Glen was the best OW road race of the year (in any series).

Wow...delusional is what first comes to mind.

indyfan31
09-28-05, 03:38 PM

He now officially hates EVERYTHING, there's no responding to that.

Andrew Longman
09-28-05, 03:48 PM
Why waste your time responding to an idiot.

I didn't.

But I poke around over there instead of giving in to a dark evil urge to torture small defenseless animals. At least the gomers ask for it. :gomer:

Ankf00
09-28-05, 06:43 PM
Vermin can be counted on to attack their own species in times of stress.

oc

:rofl: observant. :)

Winston Wolfe
09-29-05, 06:13 AM
I guess the captain doesn't always go down with his ship. :laugh:

Speaking of the "captain".... I saw when one delusional poster over there had said that there were a few people who should take over the vacant spot, and one of them at the top, or near the top of his list was Ol' Rog hisself...

To further demonstrate this idiots complete lack of understanding and grasp of the current state of OW, he also had Rahole and none other than our own PLN on his list...

The gomerati are in full, complete and 100% denial, and I dont know if it could be any worse...

RaceGrrl
09-29-05, 09:29 AM
This thread is not about TF members. Get it back on topic or it's gone.

oddlycalm
09-29-05, 03:42 PM
Hard to know whether Ungar left or was pushed, but which mediocrity grew tired of the other is probably of little interest in the end.. Either way, it's probably due to fear and loathing over the 2006 race schedule implosion. This is also the guy responsible the broadcast agreement with ABC/ESPN that locked in the Todd and Scott Idiot Hour thru 2009, It was hailed as a great victory at the time it was signed but I imagine has become a sore subject since. Ungar would seem to be a great example of what you get when you hire from the local talent pool based on good ol' boy back slapping rather than any real credentials.

oc

Andrew Longman
09-29-05, 03:51 PM
Ungar would seem to be a great example of what you get when you hire from the local talent pool based on good ol' boy back slapping rather than any real credentials. oc

While I don't disagree, the France family has hired from the same gene pool and it hasn't hurt them too much.

Was Unger the genius behind Pepboys and Northern Lights promotion and the Melloncamp/Melloncamp's wife tie in, or did he come later?

JT265
09-29-05, 04:08 PM
Never fear. Between Oprah and Colin Powell, someone's gonna right the good ship earl.

Ain't they?!?!? :saywhat:

:rofl:

Napoleon
09-29-05, 07:07 PM
While I don't disagree, the France family has hired from the same gene pool and it hasn't hurt them too much.

Which is absolutely true, but they have a product that has been able to sell itself. If they get in a situation where management will make a difference, they are screwed.

dando
10-10-05, 11:12 PM
In case y'all missed it, here's RM's take (aka: from the you just can't make this stuff up file):

http://speedtv.com/commentary/19941/

And adds this quip towards the end:

Then again, maybe it's just a case of both groups hiring the wrong people or unqualified people for the job. Over and over.

Ungar is the classic example. He was an accomplished lawyer who served as deputy chief of staff for Gov. Evan Bayh. But why would Tony George think he could oversee marketing, sales, public relations and track relations?

Maybe it's just a vision problem.

:rofl:

Also, who knew an IRLista figgered out how to use e-mail? :gomer:

-Kevin

oddlycalm
10-11-05, 02:57 PM
Then again, maybe it's just a case of both groups hiring the wrong people or unqualified people for the job. Over and over. Funny story, but RM's list is a few names short and he also completely overlooks the fact that not all of those marketing veeps were bad choices. You can hire the best marketing person in the world but if you don't have a budget for the rest of the department or the necessary projects then you won't see any results.

The point RM doesn make effectively is that neither group knew what the hell they were doing and the results speak for themselves. NASCAR isn't a success because the Frances were or are geniuses, it's a success because they kept at it consistantly and learned from their mistakes. TG and the EARL is hopeless in this regard but CCWS is not. Kalkovan and Forsythe won't get it right every time out, nobody does, but they will get it right enough of the time and they will keep at it. They know how to hire the right people and give them what they need. I may not like the type of races they will be holding most weekends, but I don't doubt their commitment or that they will succeed.

oc

eiregosod
10-11-05, 07:36 PM
wow in the miller srticle, there's an amendement:

Clarification:

Shortly after the above column was posted on SPEEDTV.com, Miller received the following e-mail from Indy Racing League President and COO Brian Barnhart:

I understand you have written an article concerning Ken Ungar and his resignation from the IRL. Just to be accurate, Ken was not fired and was not asked to resign. His departure was his choice and his choice alone.

Thanks,
Brian Barnhart

Miller, however, is confident in his source(s) within the IRL, and stands by the above column in its entirety.

Robin aint backing down. :D

re:nascar. They dont like to spend a dime more than they need to. Their spending habits suggest that the France family believe that the sponsorship money could go away as quickly as it arrived.

trauma1
10-12-05, 08:42 AM
and unger didn't leave for greener pastures, he had no job lined up when he anounced he was leaving

eiregosod
10-12-05, 01:05 PM
and unger didn't leave for greener patures, he had no job lined up when he anounced he was leaving

maybe he wanted to have ''EARL ??? -- Sept 2005" in his resume.

trauma1
10-12-05, 03:00 PM
could be, but Rm knows alot more than he is writing about the situation, probably waiting until unger gets a job