PDA

View Full Version : Replay Rant

Tifosi24
09-25-05, 03:23 PM
I am watching the Packers game and for the life of me I can't understand these replay rules. Tampa fumbles the ball, but since the refs blow it dead as an incompletion the ball is marked at the spot where the ball hits the ground and Tampa keeps the ball. Firstly, these refs need to wait on blowing the whistle when there is some doubt as to whether it is a fumble or incomplete pass. This is the third time I have seen this happen this weekend between college and pro. Just let the play run its course and let the replay solve the problem.

dando
09-25-05, 07:33 PM
Yeah, the inadvertent whistle is teh suck. That rubs me wrong just like when refs lose sight of the puck in hockey. :saywhat:

-Kevin

WickerBill
09-25-05, 08:18 PM
Problem is, before last year (I think it was), the refs were getting more and more hesitant to blow the whistle to avoid situations such as this -- but *not* blowing the whistle when unsure of the result of the play presents it's own big set of problems.

Get rid of replay and it's all fixed.

Insomniac
09-25-05, 08:23 PM
The referees should be making calls based on what they see, not assume replay can fix their screw-ups. Replay is here to fix the wrong calls. Some plays can't be reviewed because then the final outcome of the play is unknown. I'm glad the refs have stopped hesitating.

WB: I can't imagine no replay, some big and costly mistakes are made.

WickerBill
09-25-05, 09:23 PM
Just like in baseball, and basketball, and soccer.... referees of any sort (and their fallability) are part of the game, IMO.

dando
09-25-05, 09:34 PM
Just like in baseball, and basketball, and soccer.... referees of any sort (and their fallability) are part of the game, IMO.
WB, true, but the number of players, size of the field, speed and complexity of the game, are the differentiating factors w/foosball (not just NFL now that college has adopted it). Also, limited replay is used in college hoopies.

-Kevin

Redwing
09-25-05, 09:56 PM
I was watching the Packers too, although I can't understand why. :gomer:

Hard Driver
09-26-05, 12:08 AM
There are screw ups, without replay the exact same screw up would have happened, right. It is an imperfect world with imperfect ref calls. But if replay and fix a few of them. like of it is a score, reception or where the spot should be, I have no problem wiht better. Is it perfect, hell no. Is it better than no replay. I say yes.