PDA

View Full Version : Congrats FA and JPM

spinner26
09-25-05, 03:10 PM
First Spanish driver to win Championship, CONGRATS!

JPM Wins the race, kudo's!

oddlycalm
09-25-05, 04:01 PM
Yeah, Alonso and Renault certainly got the job done this year. Well deserved title after driving smart all season. Nice win for Montoya as well.

oc

Cam
09-25-05, 09:04 PM
Fred is a deserving Champ..... :thumbup:

Jervis Tetch 1
09-25-05, 10:54 PM
Congratulations to Fernando, the first driver to really get me interested in F1 at a fanatical level since Ayrton.

I've enjoyed the ride!

Fernando Alonso - 2005 World Champion

Top that Wheldon.

RichK
09-26-05, 12:37 PM
It's hard to believe that Schumacher is not a WDC today! 7 years is a long time.

Montoya is certainly looking good at the end of this season, and Kimi is showing some cracks. Next year should be fun.

spinner26
09-26-05, 03:19 PM
It's hard to believe that Schumacher is not a WDC today! 7 years is a long time.

Next year should be fun.

Heard on windbag last night that Shumi has told the team if the car is not good outa the box in the off season he quits. I'm waiting to see this, :rolleyes:

oddlycalm
09-26-05, 03:27 PM
Heard on windbag last night that Shumi has told the team if the car is not good outa the box in the off season he quits. I'm waiting to see this, :rolleyes: Probably true, but it might just be an effort to motivate Ferrari. Matchett (I think) was speculating whether Brawn, Byrne, Stepney, etc. would leave as well when Schumacher went. Could really be the end of an era.

oc

RacinM3
09-26-05, 03:33 PM
Awesome job by Fernando. I thought it was great that they showed his late race battle with Schumacher at San Marino earlier this year during SPEED's champion "tribute" yesterday. That was the race where I decided that if he won the WDC, he would be a worthy winner. Just an all 'round great year, and I'm interested to see how he does fighting for the constructor's championship without the WDC pressure in this year's remaining races. :thumbup:

I do think though that McLaren deserves and will easily win that championship, though. (I know, I'm really going out on a limb on that one... ;) )

cameraman
09-26-05, 03:56 PM
I do think though that McLaren deserves and will easily win that championship, though. (I know, I'm really going out on a limb on that one... ;) ) Montoya has several more chances to hit a backmarker and Fisi has the same number of chances to stick it in the tires. The championship is still up for grabs.

Dr. Corkski
09-27-05, 03:14 PM
Fred is a deserving Champ..... :thumbup:One hypocrite doesn't think so. :thumdown:

http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=99499

Hard Driver
09-27-05, 04:28 PM
One hypocrite doesn't think so. :thumdown:

http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=99499

Duh, F1 is not just about who is the best driver, it is mostly about who has the best car. I bet many drivers would have won world championships in the dominant Ferrari in years past. My Guess is that Kimi would have won it in the Renault if he drove there this year.

Renault built the 2nd fastest car after McLaren, but built the most reliable so that it finished. And as they say, you first have to finish.. That is not taking anything away from them, because that is the designers job, fast AND reliable. McLaren was too far off on the reliability and Kimi got in a big hole in the beginning of the season.

Congratulation Renault and to Alonso. :thumbup: As long as it wasn't Schumacher, I am happy. And Alonso did it without any swerves driving people off the track or intentionally hitting people. :eek:

Dr. Corkski
09-27-05, 04:48 PM
Duh, F1 is not just about who is the best driver, it is mostly about who has the best car. I bet many drivers would have won world championships in the dominant Ferrari in years past. My Guess is that Kimi would have won it in the Renault if he drove there this year.

Renault built the 2nd fastest car after McLaren, but built the most reliable so that it finished. And as they say, you first have to finish.. That is not taking anything away from them, because that is the designers job, fast AND reliable. McLaren was too far off on the reliability and Kimi got in a big hole in the beginning of the season.

Congratulation Renault and to Alonso. :thumbup: As long as it wasn't Schumacher, I am happy. And Alonso did it without any swerves driving people off the track or intentionally hitting people. :eek:I doubt you would be saying the same thing if it had came from Jean Todt. :thumdown:

There was also a quote from that same Autosport interview, that I think you will agree with completely too:

"I think there is a category of driver that comes from South America, Italy or Spain that doesn't have the discipline required to win the World Championship," Dennis said after the race. Although I can understand why he has flip flopped to that stance given the incompetence of his #2 driver this year. :gomer:

cameraman
09-27-05, 05:08 PM
I have to agree with everything said here:

Backmarkers cost McLaren the title? Rubbish (http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns15676.html)

Mercedes-Benz's motorsport chief Norbert Haug was still blaming Antonio Pizzonia for Juan Pablo Montoya's retirement at Spa, which is unfair when one listens to Pizzonia's explanation, which made it very clear that he believed that Montoya not only knew that he was there and planning to pass, but had given all the signs that he was leaving room. If anyone is to blame it is the team for failing to radio Montoya to tell him to let Pizzonia pass. The Brazilian was catching at great speed and was no threat to Montoya's position and was in fact chasing points of his own. It was in everyone's interest that Montoya be told to get out of the way, even if he was a lap ahead.

The fact that Montoya has twice collided with backmarkers is not nearly as significant as the number of mechanical failures that have taken away points from Kimi Raikkonen.

RacinM3
09-27-05, 05:14 PM
Dennis says the F1 world can not properly gauge Renault driver Alonso's talent because he's been driving conservatively and protecting a big championship lead lately. He added: "Our drivers certainly have better equipment but personally I feel they're also better drivers."

Better equipment does not blow up. Better drivers do not flat spot tires so severely that they cause the front suspension to fail, or run into backmarkers.

It remains to be seen whether Raikkonen or Montoya are inherently faster drivers. The only way for Ron to put his money where his mouth is is to pony up the dough for a third McLaren and buy Alonso from Renault.

Talk is cheap. Alonso has the hardware. McLaren better not put one foot wrong these next two races after that diatribe by Dennis.

Dr. Corkski
09-27-05, 06:34 PM
Better equipment does not blow up. Better drivers do not flat spot tires so severely that they cause the front suspension to fail, or run into backmarkers.

It remains to be seen whether Raikkonen or Montoya are inherently faster drivers. The only way for Ron to put his money where his mouth is is to pony up the dough for a third McLaren and buy Alonso from Renault.

Talk is cheap. Alonso has the hardware. McLaren better not put one foot wrong these next two races after that diatribe by Dennis.Someone gets the hypocrisy of uncle ron. :thumbup:

Ron seems to have forgotten how his team and his South American driver won the championship in 91. Quite similar to Renault this year.

Ron thinks team orders are immoral and those who use them will burn in hell, except when his Finnish boytoy needs it because he couldn't built him a good enough car.

Ron also seemed awfully disappointed to have taken the lead in the WCC, which he thinks is as important as the WDC.

oddlycalm
09-27-05, 10:54 PM
Better equipment does not blow up. Better drivers do not flat spot tires so severely that they cause the front suspension to fail, or run into backmarkers. Indeed. Alonso may be the youngest WDC in history, but he drove with the maturity of a master. The combination of the speed and self control was unbeatable regardless of the blather in the press and from the competition. McLaren beat themselves while Renault quietly executed incremental improvements in the car. The McLaren drivers beat themselves while Alonso drove fast and smart. The fact that Alonso is so young should be sobering to the competition as he's likely to be around for another 10yrs at least if he manages to stay interested.

oc

JohnHKart
10-03-05, 10:13 PM

Montoya is certainly looking good at the end of this season, and Kimi is showing some cracks. Next year should be fun.

Well actually his first with Ferrari was only five years ago...and the last non Schumacher WDC was Hakkinen in 99. I know though, it sure seems like Schumacher was champion forever and permanently so it's hard to believe he isnt.

John

Cam
10-03-05, 10:23 PM
Well actually his first with Ferrari was only five years ago...and the last non Schumacher WDC was Hakkinen in 99. I know though, it sure seems like Schumacher was champion forever and permanently so it's hard to believe he isnt.

John

Thank gawd he isnt anymore..... That little dynasty was due for a fall....

oddlycalm
10-04-05, 11:18 AM
Now the question is whether Fizzicola will be able to step up and whether the McLaren boys will manage to keep the cars in the race. For their part Renault is moving forward some features of next years R26 onto the current car and Alonso seems ready for a fight.

oc

RacinM3
10-10-05, 06:37 PM
Talk is cheap. Alonso has the hardware. McLaren better not put one foot wrong these next two races after that diatribe by Dennis.

Although I think quoting myself is a little tacky, I had to do it. McLaren's performance this last weekend left a lot to be desired. Expired engines, crashed race cars.....what's Ron's excuse going to be if the team pulls this stuff in China and loses the Constructor's Title by only a couple of points?

Ron, your team designed a great car. But you obviously know that's just one major component. Don't choke like you did in Japan. Sure, you won, but you should have wrapped it up. At least according to your own comments.

RacinM3
10-16-05, 12:15 PM
Wow, Renault wins the CC. I wonder what Dennis put on those words to make them a little more, uh, digestable.

oddlycalm
10-16-05, 03:02 PM
Wow, Renault wins the CC. I wonder what Dennis put on those words to make them a little more, uh, digestable. When you win 9 of 19 races and are on the podium at most of the rest you don't normally figure to lose the title. Renault did an incredible job on every aspect of the car and if Alonso did anything stupid or rash I failed to notice it. At least it was closely contested. Still, I can't help but thinking that they will have some rather pointed words for Montoya and Mario Ilian.

Talking about bitter fruit though, I'm still left shaking my head that Schumie could have been taken out twice in one event while not on green flag laps. :laugh: After the tunnel brake check in Monaco last year you'd think he would realize he's not the only car on the track.