PDA

View Full Version : Cup race finish at Darlington

Lizzerd
03-16-03, 05:42 PM
Wow.

I'm not a big tin top fan, and I don't make a point to watch Winston Cup races, but I did tune in for the last 50 or 60 laps of today's race. What a finish. After the last pit stops, Jeff Gordon and Kurt Busch used up their tires racing with each other after the restart. Gordon ended up losing his right front. Ricky Craven, something like 8th or 10th at the restart, more conservative with his tire wear for several laps, tracked Bussch down in the last couple laps. It was every NASCAR fan's dream finish. Rubbin' and bangin' across the line, the cars were glued together and tire smoke was a flyin'. Craven won by about two inches.

RTKar
03-16-03, 05:48 PM
It was a good finish, I woke from my nap on lap 40. Great for Craven, someone who's had some adversity in his career and I admired Busch's positive attitude regarding the way it ended.

WickerBill
03-16-03, 05:50 PM
What did Busch say?

DaveL
03-16-03, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by WickerBill
What did Busch say?

He lost his power steering with about 10 laps to go and that was as fast and straight he could drive the car. It's not so much what he said, but what he didn't. He did not utter a single disparaging word about Craven, and instead praised his own team for giving him a strong car that missed the win by .002 seconds.

Oh, and Larry Foyt still sucks.

WickerBill
03-16-03, 06:08 PM
http://i.cnn.net/nascar/images/Todayspics/2003/3/16/dar_finishb.jpg

JSR
03-16-03, 06:14 PM
Great Finish!!!

pchall
03-16-03, 06:20 PM
When I tuned in the event was a terminally boring freight train.

When I woke up it was over.

fourrunner
03-16-03, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by pchall
When I tuned in the event was a terminally boring freight train.

When I woke up it was over.

What would be cool is to get some guy to stand up on the first car in the freight train, and jump from car to car till he reached the end.
Now THAT would be something to watch !!! ;)

I would think that Tony George would be a great candidate, but he might be killed, and that would be horrible!

Railbird
03-16-03, 07:10 PM
I always enjoy Darlington, some family and friends just happened to stop by for an unplanned cookout, cold beer and a little rubbin'/racin' kinda deal. Got out and enjoyed the weather after spending yesterday inside watching Sebring.

Busch is the real deal and Craven did one hell of a job, but I was pullin' for Blaney. Nothing like an old dirt tracker with a crew chief named "Bootie" in a Jasper engine bus for that down home flavor.

A little duct tape applied to the announce crew would have been an improvement.

mnkywrch
03-16-03, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by DaveL

You're really warming up to the guy, Dave.

Best finish of the year so far... easily.

TRDfan
03-16-03, 07:57 PM
Quite an exciting finish, Darlington is always wild and Busch was really a class act afterwards - that boy's got a future !!!!

devilmaster
03-16-03, 07:59 PM
With a show of hands, who thinks the next IRL race will have 3 cars rubbing over the finish line, cause Tony and Fred said -'they'- have the most exciting racing in north america? "NASCAR can't beat us, we're the indy five hundre......whoops! the indy racing league. heh heh."

:shakehead

Steve

DaveL
03-16-03, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by mnkywrch
Best finish of the year so far... easily.

Sure. Dead last among the cars that didn't have any problems. "Best" finish is like IUPUI celebrating the fact that they won't have to play in the #64 vs #65 NCAA Tournament game.

mnkywrch
03-16-03, 08:10 PM
Sure. Dead last among the cars that didn't have any problems. "Best" finish is like IUPUI celebrating the fact that they won't have to play in the #64 vs #65 NCAA Tournament game.

Sorry, I was talking about the end of the Cup race, not Larry Foyt.

As far as Ooey-Pooey, leave the Metros, err, Jaguars out of this!

DaveL
03-16-03, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by mnkywrch
Sorry, I was talking about the end of the Cup race, not Larry Foyt.

Oops. My bad then.

As far as Ooey-Pooey,

:D I like that name.

Actually, I think they are the best of the 16 seeds...if that means anything. And for the record, I correctly predicted them, along with NC-Ashville and Texas Southern as the 16 seeds. I plum forgot about Vermont and had Wagner instead of South Carolina State.

And yes, that was NASCAR's best finish this year.

Sean O'Gorman
03-17-03, 05:37 PM

C'mon Dave, you're really slacking off this week. I miss the in-depth reports that get into detail as to just how close Larry came to pegging 10 on the wank-o-meter. ;)

Racewriter
03-17-03, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by SOG35
C'mon Dave, you're really slacking off this week. I miss the in-depth reports that get into detail as to just how close Larry came to pegging 10 on the wank-o-meter. ;)

Larry makes Shawna Robinson look competent. Even Shawna was able to race with the pack at times.

DaveL
03-17-03, 08:24 PM
C'mon Dave, you're really slacking off this week. I miss the in-depth reports that get into detail as to just how close Larry came to pegging 10 on the wank-o-meter.

I said he was dead last among cars that didn't have any on-track trouble and he was the slowest qualifier...slower than Brett Bodine who wasn't even driving his own car and was in a last minute entry. What more do you want?

Sean O'Gorman
03-17-03, 10:01 PM
I said he was dead last among cars that didn't have any on-track trouble and he was the slowest qualifier...slower than Brett Bodine who wasn't even driving his own car and was in a last minute entry. What more do you want?

Oops, I missed your second post. My bad.

DaveL
03-17-03, 11:50 PM
Oops, I missed your second post. My bad.

No probs. However it is getting harder to find original ways to describe his suckatude.