PDA

View Full Version : Foosball smack 9/23

dando
09-24-05, 12:18 PM
Since f00boy is off playing in the mud @ ACL, I'll get this puppy started. Big weekend of college foosball kicking off:

OSU/Iowa - revenge for last year's pasting @ the cornfield.
Minn/Perdoo - nations best rushing attack vs. best rushing D.
Wishconsin/Meechicken - is Carr's job in the balance?
Va Tech/GT - Hokies try to make a statement.
ND/Washington - Ty's revenge? Not!
'SC/OU - offensive shootout, but the ducks are roadkill.
Tenn/LSU - Vols QB coin flip winner is....Claussen. Doesn't matter anyway.

MSU/ILLinois will be interesting to see if MSU can overcome there historical post top-ten upset chokes.

-Kevin

dando
09-24-05, 01:35 PM
Bucks/Hawks @ 1/2time:

Total Yards 12(Hawkeyes) 332 (Buckeyes)

Thanks for coming out, Hawkeyes. Buh-bye! :gomer:

-Kevin

Tifosi24
09-24-05, 01:56 PM
The Hawkeyes look terrible. If OSU could keep the ball off the ground it should be 31-0 at this point. It will soon be another TD since they are driving again, and then right as I type this there is another fumble but the Buckeyes get it back. I can't believe how T-E-R-R-I-B-L-E the Hawks are.

dando
09-24-05, 02:02 PM
The Hawkeyes look terrible. If OSU could keep the ball off the ground it should be 31-0 at this point. It will soon be another TD since they are driving again, and then right as I type this there is another fumble but the Buckeyes get it back. I can't believe how T-E-R-R-I-B-L-E the Hawks are.
Ja. About the only phase of the game going well for them is punting. To their credit, that was a good strip on the first fumble inside the 5. Smith had probs hanging onto the pigskin, but then again, he was prolly worn out after 300+ yards of O. :D

Wow. That game was the exact opposite last season's whooping in Iowa City. Could have easily been 45-0.

-Kevin

dando
09-24-05, 03:56 PM
So MSU is for real, Perdoo is not, and Iowa = DOA.

-Kevin

Easy
09-24-05, 04:21 PM
We should get a DNS for this one. I'm considering selling my Iowa-FMichigan tix at Kinnick after this display. :cry:

Tim
09-24-05, 10:25 PM
Wow Wisconsin upsets Michigan. I did not see that coming.

extramundane
09-25-05, 12:05 AM
Va Tech/GT - Hokies try to make a statement.

51 - 7 is a pretty big statement. If history is any indication, we should lose by 3 to Marshall in a couple weeks :rolleyes:

Jervis Tetch 1
09-25-05, 12:17 AM
We should get a DNS for this one. I'm considering selling my Iowa-FMichigan tix at Kinnick after this display. :cry:That's twice in two weeks we haven't shown up to play. And both times on ABC (Regionally) which is just embarassing :o :shakehead :flame:

Well, let's give credit where credit is due. OSU just gave us a good-old fashioned ass-kicking and they got their revenge from when we laid the wood to them last year.

Good for you Dando.

Until next time.

dando
09-25-05, 10:51 AM
What the fark happened to Louisville?!? 45-14 to South Florida? :eek:

-Kevin

dando
09-25-05, 10:57 AM
Wow Wisconsin upsets Michigan. I did not see that coming.
Any time Lloyd "John Cooper" Carr is coaching, a loss is always possible. :D

-Kevin

dando
09-25-05, 11:00 AM
That's twice in two weeks we haven't shown up to play. And both times on ABC (Regionally) which is just embarassing :o :shakehead :flame:

Well, let's give credit where credit is due. OSU just gave us a good-old fashioned ass-kicking and they got their revenge from when we laid the wood to them last year.

Good for you Dando.

Until next time.
Get that date circled for next year: 9/30/06. :D

We'll be plenty ripe for the picking next season. New OL, gotta replace Hawk and Carpenter, and I'm certain Holmes will be gone as well.

-Kevin

dando
09-25-05, 11:52 AM
51 - 7 is a pretty big statement. If history is any indication, we should lose by 3 to Marshall in a couple weeks :rolleyes:
Good showing for the Hokies. Gonna have a tough run against BC, Miami, and UVA in a few weeks. Unfortunately we got stuck with Golden Domers/UW game, so I dint get to see how good the Hokies looked. :(

-Kevin

dando
09-25-05, 05:41 PM
First team to 3-0! Who Dey!!! Ya gotta believe, baby! It's gonna be one titanic showdown w/Indy in Nov. :cool:

-Kevin

Chitowncartfreak
09-26-05, 12:23 AM
That's twice in two weeks we haven't shown up to play. And both times on ABC (Regionally) which is just embarassing :o :shakehead :flame:

Good for you Dando.

Until next time.

I hate to say it, but if we don't get our act together NOW, we will be staying home this year during bowl season. We still have a tough schedule ahead of us. We're not even competitive right now. I'll give OSU credit for kicking our ass, but I wish we would have at least made an effort to show up and play. Very frustrating to be an Iowa fan right now.

Having said that, we were also 2-2 at this time last year and look what happened. Need to make a lot of improvement for that to happen again this year...

dando
09-26-05, 01:49 PM
I hate to say it, but if we don't get our act together NOW, we will be staying home this year during bowl season. We still have a tough schedule ahead of us. We're not even competitive right now. I'll give OSU credit for kicking our ass, but I wish we would have at least made an effort to show up and play. Very frustrating to be an Iowa fan right now.

Having said that, we were also 2-2 at this time last year and look what happened. Need to make a lot of improvement for that to happen again this year...
Y'all are in the same boat as OSU last season was 3-3. Time to turn it around after ya hit bottom. IMHO, history will show that this OSU D is one of the bestest ever, and I'm not kidding. Their only weakness are the DBs, which are a bit young, but getting better by the week.

-Kevin

dando
09-26-05, 11:35 PM
Impressive comeback by the Vols. Down 24-7 in the 4th Q to win 30-27 in OT on the road in Death Valley. Looked like LSU ran out of gas late in the 3rd Q. I was rootin' fer LSU simply so that the folks of Louisiana would have something to cheer. :(

:confused: as to why they dint hold the two major polls a day to include this matchup.

-Kevin

Ankf00
09-27-05, 01:19 PM
Les Miles == John Mackovic

at least LSU will now quit poaching TX recruits :D GO LES, GO BENAGLS! :rofl:

dando
09-28-05, 11:21 AM
More BC$ stupidity...

Illinois, which is 2-2 and lost 61-14 on Saturday, received enough votes to rank 38th with 13 points.

Arizona (1-2), whose lone victory is over Northern Arizona, had 10 points.

And Western Athletic Conference cellar-dweller Idaho, which is 0-4, had five points. Imagine where the Vandals might be ranked had they actually won a game.

"We were surprised to see them," WAC assistant commissioner Dave Chaffin said.

But the Harris folks were not surprised - and that alone should scare BCS officials.

The Harris poll operates like The Associated Press poll: the No.1 team receives 25 points, the No. 2 receives 24 points and so on. According to the Idaho Statesman, a Harris official said one voter had ranked the Vandals 20th.

"It was a random selection of the overall body," Harris spokeswoman Nancy Wong said. "We have to decide if it's acceptable, and in our opinion, it is."

It's acceptable for someone to vote for an 0-4 team?

"We have to be confident that the panel we established can be relied on."

:shakehead

linky (http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/colleges/stanford/12750059.htm)

No wonder nobody wants their name associated with this POS system! :flame:

FTG must be a voter in this thing. :gomer:

-Kevin

Ankf00
09-28-05, 11:34 AM
no more misinformed than the ap poll having louisville w/ a 1st place vote to start the season, or michigan above notre dame above mich state

dando
09-28-05, 12:15 PM
no more misinformed than the ap poll having louisville w/ a 1st place vote to start the season, or michigan above notre dame above mich state
Sorry, but voting in an 0-4 Idaho in the top twenty, and then having the stupidity to justify it is simply ludicrous. The scenarios you outlined are the result of pre-season polls, which are based on guess work and last year's results. All the more reason polls should not be released until after the 3rd or 4th game.

Also, ya had to like the poke the SJ writer gave to the coaches poll from last year, mentioning that Mack Daddy's bro voted in it. :laugh:

-Kevin

Ankf00
09-28-05, 12:54 PM
And? One AP writer from Alabama had Texas ranked 9th last year in the last week. Like I said, AP's no better.

And it doesn't matter what the preseason polls said, msu beat ND and ND beat UM, vote it in as long as their records are similar enough. The writers didn't do that.

dando
09-28-05, 01:16 PM
And it doesn't matter what the preseason polls said, msu beat ND and ND beat UM, vote it in as long as their records are similar enough. The writers didn't do that.
So Idaho beats UT and they should jump from unranked to a better ranking than UT w/o considering previous polls? :saywhat:

And I'm not saying that the AP poll is perfect. Polls by definition are based on opinions, which are always flawed (especially in your case). :gomer: I seriously doubt you'll find any of the assinine votes like those found in the Harris poll in the AP poll.

-Kevin

Ankf00
09-28-05, 01:50 PM
how many voters are there in the Harris, 100? 1 vote is marginalized. Their top 25 matches up with the other polls well enough. Think you will ever see the writers begin to nitpick their own poll?

week 4: MSU 3-0, ND 2-1, UM 2-1
rankings: MSU 17, ND 16, UM 14

and yes, if a 1-0 Idaho beat an 0-1 UT they should be ranked higher

dando
09-28-05, 10:06 PM
how many voters are there in the Harris, 100? 1 vote is marginalized. Their top 25 matches up with the other polls well enough. Think you will ever see the writers begin to nitpick their own poll?
In case you dint RTFA, f00, here's the full text (I noticed the linky I posted resulted in reg page, but the linky from Google News does not):

Harris poll has instant credibility problem

BY JON WILNER

Knight Ridder Newspapers

SAN JOSE, Calif. - (KRT) - Say this for the inaugural Harris Interactive top-25 poll, the newest addition to the Bowl Championship Series formula: It could have been worse.

Given the makeup of the 114-member panel, I half-expected to see USC ranked fifth when the poll was released Sunday.

Instead, the Trojans were No. 1 and the rest of the top 25 looked pretty good.

But there was cause for alarm with "other teams receiving votes."

Illinois, which is 2-2 and lost 61-14 on Saturday, received enough votes to rank 38th with 13 points.

Arizona (1-2), whose lone victory is over Northern Arizona, had 10 points.

And Western Athletic Conference cellar-dweller Idaho, which is 0-4, had five points. Imagine where the Vandals might be ranked had they actually won a game.

"We were surprised to see them," WAC assistant commissioner Dave Chaffin said.

But the Harris folks were not surprised - and that alone should scare BCS officials.

The Harris poll operates like The Associated Press poll: the No.1 team receives 25 points, the No. 2 receives 24 points and so on. According to the Idaho Statesman, a Harris official said one voter had ranked the Vandals 20th.

"It was a random selection of the overall body," Harris spokeswoman Nancy Wong said. "We have to decide if it's acceptable, and in our opinion, it is."

It's acceptable for someone to vote for an 0-4 team?

"We have to be confident that the panel we established can be relied on."

But isn't there some kind of safety net - the AP has one - that alerts poll operators of an inconsistent ballot?

"We have a verification system in place. . . .Our results were fully validated this week."

So no one thought twice about seeing Idaho on a ballot?

"We look at it like you would other surveys, that the likelihood of the results may not always be what you expect."

Considering that the Harris poll is one-third of the BCS formula, we could be looking at a real mess come bowl-selection time.

Whoever voted for Idaho - Harris isn't saying - will help determine which teams play for the national championship. That's even scarier than Watson Brown voting in last year's Coaches' poll. (Brown, a coach at Alabama-Birmingham, is the brother of Texas Coach Mack Brown.)

BCS officials picked Harris to operate a top-25 poll after the AP dropped out following last year's Cal-Texas controversy. The 11 major conferences and independents submitted 300 names. Each conference got 10 randomly selected voters. The panel is a mix of former coaches, players and administrators and current media members.

Harris did not release its first poll until Sunday in a commendable attempt to limit the influence of the preseason polls.

But BCS officials made one gigantic mistake: They allowed Harris to keep ballots private until the final regular-season poll. It's the same courtesy afforded the coaches who vote in the USA Today top 25, but they have competitive reasons for wanting their ballots private. The Harris panelists do not. (The AP makes its ballots public.)

According to Chaffin, no one in the WAC's voting bloc is affiliated with Idaho. So which member of this dubious panel voted for the Vandals?

_Perhaps it was Carolina Panther Brentson Buckner, the only active NFLer on the Harris poll. Buckner, who played at Clemson, publishes his ballot on his Web site. A few weeks ago, he had unproven Oregon State 12th even though the Beavers weren't ranked in the AP poll. Buckner then dropped the Beavers the following week - after they beat Boise State.

_Perhaps it was one of the panelists to whom former Arizona coach John Mackovic referred to when he wrote in the Palm Springs Desert Sun: "To tell the truth, I did not know a couple of them were still alive."

_Perhaps it was Kevin Duhe, a former player at Northeast Louisiana who now serves as a manager for the Blue Bell Ice Cream Co.

We can be sure of one thing: It wasn't Jason Rash who voted for the Vandals.

Rash, an executive for an Atlanta masonry company, was on the original Harris panel but resigned after it was revealed that his only connection to college football is as the son-in-law of Troy Coach Larry Blakeney.

How `bout that Harris verification system?

---

© 2005, San Jose Mercury News (San Jose, Calif.).

Visit MercuryNews.com, the World Wide Web site of the Mercury News, at http://www.mercurynews.com.

Distributed by Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

My points:

1.) There was more than one questionable vote that was cited in the article and the quote I posted..

2.) The voter composition of the Harris poll was questioned both before and after the initial Harris poll was released. I give the AP voters (professional writers) far more cred than many of the Harris poll voters that have been disclosed.

3.) AP makes ballots available publicly on a weekly basis, while the Harris poll does not (until the final vote of the season).

4.) Previous polls and results (own as well as opponents) impact polls from week-to-week. ND was ranked #20 when they defeated #3 UM by 7pts. The result was ND ranked #10 and UM #14. ND then lost to then unranked MSU in OT, while UM won convincingly. The result was UM @ #14, ND #16, and MSU #17. Taking prior polls and performance into consideration does not always result in lower ranked or unranked teams being ranked higher than teams they have upset.

5.) The primary point here is that pre-season polls should be abolished for polls factoring into the BC$, the Harris poll smells, and the BC$ sucks period.

Here endeth the lesson, grasshopper.

-Kevin

Ankf00
09-29-05, 10:30 AM
F that, MSU won, they have a better record, UM lost, they had a worse record, how can you advocate a playoff and then support that kind of ******** in polls? who cares what the preseason rankings are, they're just that, PRESEASON, that's why games are played. MSU won their games, but they're punished by the oh so holy writers b/c of a baseless preconception prior to the season?

The AP Poll, the new Oasis, "our **** don't stink"