PDA

View Full Version : Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

DjDrOmusic
09-21-05, 12:11 PM
With what I do for a living, I guess I look at music and musicians with sort of a skewed eye. I have my favorites and those that I just don't care for. Some of my most enjoyable meetings, and interviews for that matter, include Gene Simmons of KISS, Ted Nugent, before he was a radio and hunting celebrity and country artist Roy Clark. Those that made me less than happy to be talking with them included Mick Thomas of Starship, Sting and Chaka Kahn. Which sort of leads me to the voting for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. There have been so many artists that have never even been considered for induction into the hall and many who have been given entry that really makes me wonder what is going on. I've never questioned anyones preference as to which groups they prefer or what artists they like, but please tell me who you would nominate for induction into the hall and who you would leave out if you had the power to do so? I for one have never understood how Marty Robbins wouldn't be inducted as an early influence, as his El Paso was the first country song to cross over to the Top 40 and become a hit on both charts. I also would retract the nominations for The Pretenders. Just my opinions but what do you think?

DjDrOmusic
09-21-05, 12:14 PM
I almost forgot what I consider to be the most glaring oversight, Wolfman Jack!! Please whether he's inducted under his radio name or his real name, Bob Smith, he needs to be in the HOF!

devilmaster
09-21-05, 01:05 PM
I always have a problem with halls of fame or top 10 lists.... mostly because its arbitrary. Its personal preference.

A perfect example of this, is Windsor's 'walk of fame'. Brought out with great fanfare a couple years ago, it was supposed to celebrate famous and deserving Windsorites. They only did it one time, and to be in it, you needed a petition of names, and something like 3500 bucks.....

Needless to say, there are many a name there that I have never heard of, let alone know that they are worthy. I thought a walk of fame would have celebrities and sports stars, not the owner of a local real estate firm. :rolleyes:

G.
09-21-05, 01:41 PM
what's the prob. with the Pretenders?

DjDrOmusic
09-21-05, 03:00 PM
what's the prob. with the Pretenders?

Just my opinion, but I don't think they have done enough to warrant inclusion right now. I'm not saying that they shouldn't eventually be there, just that others have been passed over that should have been included first.

Ankf00
09-21-05, 03:20 PM
are waylon wille and merle in there? if not the hall sucks :p :D

CARTNUT
09-21-05, 03:23 PM
The Pretenders before Heart?????? Ann Wilson has probably the best voice in Rock & Roll of anyone. Male or female. And Nancy whales on the guitar! C'mon, Barracuda, Magic Man, Crazy on You???? What the Heck??

Way to go Ohio... :shakehead

'NUT :gomer:

Rob
09-21-05, 03:53 PM
I was shocked to discover that Black Sabbath hasn't been inducted yet. I'd vote them in in a heartbeat.

Warlock!
09-21-05, 04:19 PM
And Nancy whales on the guitar!
I thought Ann was the one doing the "whale"-ing...

JohnHKart
09-21-05, 04:20 PM
You guys have listed some good examples of why the whole RORHall of Shame should be ignored. It's a total joke. There are doo wop shoop shoop groups nobody here has ever heard of in there from 1959 but no Deep Purple, Sabbath, Yes, Skynyrd, Van Halen, Steppenwolf, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Moody Blues, Journey and onward and onward. It's just a bunch of fat glasses wearing mainstream critics and music industry insiders that vote for it. As far as I'm concerned it's completely meaningless and un Rock and Roll.

John

Lizzerd
09-21-05, 07:38 PM
If they are not already in, Pink Floyd. Not exactly "rock and roll", though, but the best, hands down, of any band that ever existed.

WickerBill
09-21-05, 08:34 PM
RnRHoF needs "wings". I don't mean the band, I mean they should have categories. I don't want to see Don McLean next to Led Zeppelin, and I don't want to see John Mellencamp next to Hendrix. I think perhaps all four of those should be in, but for different reasons -- McLean and Mellencamp are storytellers, Zeppelin and Hendrix groundbreakers.

That being said, I give up on the idea in 20 years when they start construction on the "pop princess" wing.

racer2c
09-21-05, 10:18 PM
If they are not already in, Pink Floyd. Not exactly "rock and roll", though, but the best, hands down, of any band that ever existed.

They're in there or at least a twenty foot montage celebrating the Wall was when I walked through the HoF a few years ago during a race weekend.

I was pretty underwhelmed with the Hall. I've seen better paraphernalia at Hard Rock Cafes around the country.

In typical American fashion it's all about popularity as opposed to the integrity of the art. Just look at the Grammys, Emmy's and Oscar's.

Ankf00
09-21-05, 10:54 PM
Uncle Tupelo should be in there, or Wilco, either way...

viva le alt-country.

SteveH
09-21-05, 10:55 PM
Several years ago I read a great rant about the R&RHOF. Basically it said it was Jann Wenner's creation and as such reflected his preferences. Is so, I don't think he likes prog rock or many other niche type artists, regardless of their impact on music. Much of it is a Pop Music Hall of Fame.

nrc
09-21-05, 11:01 PM
"And I laugh to myself at the men and the ladies
Who never conceived of us billion dollar babies"

Alice Cooper

Lizzerd
09-22-05, 12:10 AM
"And I laugh to myself at the men and the ladies
Who never conceived of us billion dollar babies"

Alice Cooper

Sorry to stray off topic... My first concert, Billion Dollar Babies. Indianapolis Convention Center, 1973, 16 years old. I can't believe my parents let me ride with a buddy and four other friends in a Chevy Vega (seating capacity four) on a sixty mile trip to the big city from the little town I grew up in. I shure as hell wouldn't let a kid of mine go. Anyway, we were stoned out of our minds. Winter. Parking lot, throw coats in back of car. Halfway through the concert, my buddy who drove said he didn't have his keys. Searching all pockets, all passengers... Negative. Try Lost and Found. Negative. What do ya' do? After the show, we go back to the car and the keys are still in the keyhole for the hatch.

'Twas a good show, too.

Now taking you back to the topic of this thread, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame...

Jervis Tetch 1
09-22-05, 12:20 AM
I'm not interested if the RnR HOF doesn't have Roxy Music for consideration. I mean they influenced a lot of bands in the late 70s, early 80s and still have some influences today.

chop456
09-22-05, 02:20 AM
Uncle Tupelo should be in there

:thumbup:

chop456
09-22-05, 02:27 AM
The Sex Pistols should be in, also.

JohnHKart
09-22-05, 05:51 AM
Since the Hall of Shame screws up so much I was surprised to find out that Pink Floyd were inducted in 1996. That was just before the ceremony was televised ( I think 1999 was the first televised year).

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/general/hallfame1.html

John

nrc
12-14-10, 10:51 PM
The Rock n Roll Hall of Fame has gained a small measure of credibility with the long overdue induction of Alice Cooper. Of course they can never fix all the mistakes they've made over the years since you can't un-induct someone, but it's one injustice corrected.

Don Quixote
12-14-10, 11:15 PM
The Rock n Roll Hall of Fame has gained a small measure of credibility with the long overdue induction of Alice Cooper. Of course they can never fix all the mistakes they've made over the years since you can't un-induct someone, but it's one injustice corrected.Agreed 100%

Opposite Lock
12-15-10, 12:12 AM
The Rock n Roll Hall of Fame has gained a small measure of credibility with the long overdue induction of Alice Cooper. Of course they can never fix all the mistakes they've made over the years since you can't un-induct someone, but it's one injustice corrected.

You forgot to say "bump".

:D

And I agree. I always boycotted that place during my race visits because of their shoddy treatment of prog rock bands. Congrats (I think) to Vincent Damon Furnier.

Napoleon
12-15-10, 07:13 AM
The Rock n Roll Hall of Fame has gained a small measure of credibility with the long overdue induction of Alice Cooper.

Which they then p---ed away by also choosing Neil Diamond for induction.

"Sweet Caroline . . . ."

TKGAngel
12-15-10, 09:56 AM
Which they then p---ed away by also choosing Neil Diamond for induction.

"Sweet Caroline . . . ."

Cheesy as he is, Diamond is a talented performer with a heck of a long career. And it's kind of entertaining to watch borderline drunk sports fans sing along to Sweet Caroline at the end of a game.

Andrew Longman
12-15-10, 12:54 PM
In typical American fashion it's all about popularity as opposed to the integrity of the art. Just look at the Grammys, Emmy's and Oscar's.Well, Bon Jovi were denied entry again this year. Word is they are just an 80s hair band which just happened to sell too many records (Def Leopard too)

Me? I hate Bon Jovi but they certainly have been popular for a long long time.

Lizzard, I once went to the Jets/Miami game (on free tickets) with a disaster prone friend. He "lost" me coming out after the game, then couldn't find the car, then was hit by a car while wandering around the lots, then after being treated by paramedics had to wait until the lots were empty before the troopers felt like driving him around the lots to look for his car.

Meanwhile I sat on the trunk of the car in the rain for five hours waiting for him to show up. He had the keys. It wasn't too bad until the guys parked near me emptied their keg and left.

Napoleon
12-15-10, 01:18 PM
Cheesy as he is, Diamond is a talented performer with a heck of a long career.

I would actually agree with that, and in fact I think he is more deserving then many others, not the least of which is Maddona.

dando
12-15-10, 01:22 PM
Cheesy as he is, Diamond is a talented performer with a heck of a long career. And it's kind of entertaining to watch borderline drunk sports fans sing along to Sweet Caroline at the end of a game.

One of the best concerts I've attended. :thumbup: He really puts out a lot of energy. And singing Sweet Caroline in Fenway was a real treat a couple of years ago. :thumbup: :thumbup: keep in mind our oldest is Carolanne, so we also switch the lyrics. :)

-Kevin

TKGAngel
12-15-10, 01:43 PM
One of the best concerts I've attended. :thumbup: He really puts out a lot of energy. And singing Sweet Caroline in Fenway was a real treat a couple of years ago. :thumbup: :thumbup: keep in mind our oldest is Carolanne, so we also switch the lyrics. :)

-Kevin

Agreed. His shows are outstanding. I've been to two of them (tickets were presents for my mother). And that's adorable that you adapt the lyrics for your daughter.

I'm intrigued as to what LL Cool J's contribution to "rock & roll" is. I know he wasn't one of the final chosen inductees, but he was nominated this year.

Don Quixote
12-15-10, 02:00 PM

-KevinWussy.

Napoleon
12-15-10, 02:03 PM
Wussy.

You just noticed?

;)

Andrew Longman
12-15-10, 02:11 PM

FWIW, I also read a few years ago that he made a really excellent Christmas album, which is a little, well, odd since he is Jewish but he is a "consummate professional". But being the Christmas season I thought I'd pass that along.

But my daughter is named (in part) for an Allman Bros tune. Never would consider a Niel Diamond song. :gomer:

dando
12-15-10, 02:22 PM
Wussy.

Takes one to know one... :p

Hey, I was brainwashed by my mother growing up listening to Neil Diamond and disco. :saywhat:

-Kevin

TKGAngel
12-15-10, 02:45 PM
FWIW, I also read a few years ago that he made a really excellent Christmas album, which is a little, well, odd since he is Jewish but he is a "consummate professional". But being the Christmas season I thought I'd pass that along.

But my daughter is named (in part) for an Allman Bros tune. Never would consider a Niel Diamond song. :gomer:

I was named for a Pure Prairie League song, but with spelling adjusted.

nrc
12-15-10, 02:52 PM
I can't really object to Diamond much since my mom had Hot August Night on steady rotation when I was a kid. At least some of his songs could move the needle enough to justify a -rock label (pop-rock) which is more than can be said for some inductees.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/6e/Hot_august_night.jpg/220px-Hot_august_night.jpg

Napoleon
12-15-10, 03:21 PM
FWIW, I also read a few years ago that he made a really excellent Christmas album, which is a little, well, odd since he is Jewish but he is a "consummate professional".

So was Irving Berlin (of White Christmas fame).

I happen to work with a fair number of Jewish people and one of them I worked with a few years ago, like me, would get into the office much earlier then the rest. Invariably this time of the year he would be cranking the Christmas tunes when I came in. From a theological point of view he may not have seen eye to eye with the Pope but he loved the spirit in the music (and by the way he and his kids would also do some kind of charity work for the poor or homeless this time of the year which also, in a manner of speaking, made him a better Christian then most).

dando
12-15-10, 03:31 PM
I happen to work with a fair number of Jewish people and one of them I worked with a few years ago, like me, would get into the office much earlier then the rest. Invariably this time of the year he would be cranking the Christmas tunes when I came in.

Well it's not like there's a lot of Hanukkah tunes to chose from. ;)

EP1gNYU27Tk

mnzVq2t7bi4

:gomer:

-Kevin

SteveH
12-15-10, 03:50 PM
I was named for a Pure Prairie League song, but with spelling adjusted.

Amy?

What you going to do?

Elmo T
12-15-10, 03:51 PM
Well it's not like there's a lot of Hanukkah tunes to chose from. ;)
-Kevin

Not a fan of the The LeeVees (http://www.theleevees.com/)?

96Hf7NAPKiw

Back OT, I get the Neil Diamond love, but still haven't figured out the Clapton hate. :rolleyes:

datachicane
12-15-10, 04:48 PM

Desdemona?
:tony:

TKGAngel
12-15-10, 05:00 PM
Amy?

What you going to do?

Ding ding ding we have a winner. :)

Don Quixote
12-15-10, 05:09 PM
Ding ding ding we have a winner. :)

(1) That's cool. :thumbup:

(2) That song is now playing in my mind over and over again. :thumdown:

(3) I got stuck being named after General McArther. :saywhat:

TravelGal
12-15-10, 09:21 PM
I like a lot of Neil Diamond but I think his induction has as much to do with the incredible number of songs he's written as his performances. It's supposed to be about "contributions" to R & R.

That said, I am like totally fer sure in agreement about Madonna. I happened to see her induction show because of friend of mine was on it and nearly gagged at the material girl. When reviewing the choices each year, there is no doubt in my mind that good ole payola is alive and well.

Indy
12-15-10, 10:05 PM
If you are interested, there is a lot of history behind Jewish performers doing Christmas music.

And as far as the R&R Hall of Fame goes, if they wanted to get it right for once, they should just let me make all the decisions. :D

chop456
12-16-10, 02:28 AM
I can't really object to Diamond much since my mom had Hot August Night on steady rotation when I was a kid.

You, too? Between that and Elvis' Aloha From Hawaii, it's a wonder I turned out as (relatively) normal as I did. :yuck:

Napoleon
12-16-10, 05:57 AM
It's supposed to be about "contributions" to R & R.

That is why Miles Davis in the R & R HOF.

Andrew Longman
12-16-10, 01:16 PM
I can't really object to Diamond much since my mom had Hot August Night on steady rotation when I was a kid.For me it was another RRHoF inductee, Herb Albert, that got the parents cutting the rug to the Tijuana Brass... helped with a martini or two.

As for Neil Diamond, I always confuse him with BJ Thomas, who got me thinking of this this morning. S2OdPDEG6aQ
As a kid, Katherine Ross as the school teacher lover of outlaws, was the perfect woman, and Butch and Sundance the perfect male roll model philosophers.

Frankly, my opinion changed only a little over the years. :gomer:

Andrew Longman
12-16-10, 01:33 PM
Desdemona?
:tony:Sorry, just can't let that sit there. 2uFD7JqkOR4
Not that I necessarily want a biker to fall for her or vise versa or anything, or that there would be anything wrong with that. More about me than her. ;)