PDA

View Full Version : The new boss speaks

rabbit
09-20-05, 05:12 PM
cameraman posted the link to this interview (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/champcar/auto/19702/) on another thread (http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?p=121627#post121627), but I thought it deserved its own thread.

Less than a week after being officially starting at his new job as Champ Car president, former SCCA honcho Steve Johnson faced the media to answer questions about some of the most pressing issues regarding the Champ Car World Series, including the possibility of reunification with the IRL (zilch), the series’ much-anticipated technical package for 2007 and ways to boost the current 18-car fields already for ‘06.

“We've got challenges in front of us, there are certain priorities,” he admitted. “I'd have to say our No. 1 priority is working with our race teams, putting healthy race teams out on the track for our fans and for our sponsors. Obviously marketing is a major area that we're working on, and television. Those are three high priorities as we move forward.

“We are in talks with several other teams, so I see that number growing, and growing rapidly. Speaking of growing, take a look at what's happened with Atlantics. I think they've sold now 36 or 37 Atlantics for next year, which is a real healthy sign for our entire sport.

“I've had a lot of discussions already with the team owners. We're in some major negotiations right now with several sponsors that are not only team sponsors but series sponsors. Boy, all I can say is stay tuned because we're going to have some big announcements coming up that has a lot to do with our teams as well as series. So things are actually looking very good there.”

Johnson revealed that the announcement of the 2007 Champ Car formula, which was initially expected to be unveiled ahead of this Saturday’s Las Vegas race, has been delayed as the sanctioning body remains undecided on multiple proposals.

“We're probably two weeks away from announcing the '07 chassis,” he said. “Without tipping our hat, we haven't selected yet who that is going to be. Whichever way we go, it's going to be a major win for the series as well as for the team owners. The car looks fantastic.”

He also confirmed that Champ Car’s current 15-race ‘06 schedule is not yet final, and that the series’ TV package for next year is also being finalized:

“It's no secret we're looking to add another race for '06. If Philadelphia has a secret, it's probably the worst-kept secret there ever was. But we are in discussions with Philadelphia as a market. The TV package is just not done yet. Again, as I said, they're on a call right now. We're working towards finalizing that and getting out very soon. The good news, all three of those are very positive. We look to have those done here in the real short-term.”

Finally, Champ Car’s new president again made official what the entire American open-wheel world already knows: the window of opportunity for a Champ Car/IRL unification is closed shut.

“What Champ Car is focused on is our business and our business model and we're not focused on what IRL is doing; we're not focused on what NASCAR is doing. I was asked about reunification. The only unification that I'm focused on right now is making sure that everybody that's involved with Champ Car is on the same page, moving the same direction with the same goals in mind. It's not a priority of mine to reunify or to focus on the IRL.”

Bravo. It's about damed time. :thumbup:

mueber
09-20-05, 05:52 PM
Bravo indeed.

spinner26
09-20-05, 07:17 PM
I know it's early yet, but I think I'll be a Steve Johnson fan soon. I just hope we're not getting lip service. I like the FTG, FIRL, that is a positive we've known for a while though, No?

Who are the other teams? This could be interesting seeing all the stuff over there playing out and CCWS having the forward momentum.

Let's look forward to a wonderful 2006 ONCE the '05 season is over. :thumbup:

I see the light at the end of the tunnel. :cool:

pchall
09-20-05, 07:36 PM
I see the light at the end of the tunnel. :cool:

Wiley Coyote sees that too, but its always the headlight of a diesel streamliner locomotive. ;)

devilmaster
09-20-05, 07:45 PM
Wiley Coyote sees that too, but its always the headlight of a diesel streamliner locomotive. ;)

http://www.tultw.com/pics/wile347.jpg

racer2c
09-20-05, 09:55 PM
I'm holding on to my socks. I'm not a fan of "big things are coming...just you wait". I've waited....and waited...it's time to deliver. Don't say "things are coming", wait and tell us what is here.

I know there are some club racer guys among us, maybe they can speak on the job Mr. Johnson has done with the SCCA. I hope he isn't in over his head, but I doubt he is or KK and co. wouldn't have hired him (fingers crossed). I would hate for him to drag CC down to a club mentality anymore than it has been.

devilmaster
09-20-05, 10:27 PM
I know there are some club racer guys among us, maybe they can speak on the job Mr. Johnson has done with the SCCA.

When the announcement first came out, fcytravis and nappy both gave a thumbs up.....

http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8592

extramundane
09-20-05, 11:03 PM
When the announcement first came out, fcytravis and nappy both gave a thumbs up.....

http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8592

Yes, but were they welcoming his arrival to ChampCar or toasting his departure from SCCA? ;)

stroker
09-21-05, 12:21 AM
Yes, but were they welcoming his arrival to ChampCar or toasting his departure from SCCA? ;)

There was an extensive interview with Johnson in Grassroots Motorsports a year or two ago. He's impressed me since he left NHRA to go to the SCCA, and subsequently to CCWS.

The Amigos don't hire no posers, I don't believe.

Napoleon
09-21-05, 08:16 AM

Welcoming his arrival to ChampCar, and hopefully closer relations with the grass roots of the sport. He seemed to do a reasonable job at the SCCA.

JoeBob
09-21-05, 08:51 AM
Here's the full transcript: http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=9665

Mike Lawler
09-21-05, 11:57 AM

Personally, I think it's a mistake to prejudge Johnson solely on the fact that he's spent the past five years as president of an organization with a checkered history of sanctioning, organizing and marketing professional racing series. What bothers me is his statement "SCCA flew the Swiss flag;we got along with everybody, because we didn't have to compete with them"

He is now competing with everyone for fans, sponsors, dates and television time. How long the other sanctioning bodies remain his friends remains to be seen.

Napoleon
09-21-05, 12:47 PM
What bothers me is his statement "SCCA flew the Swiss flag;we got along with everybody, because we didn't have to compete with them"

I am curious, why? I happen to think that is a statement of fact.

Mike Lawler
09-21-05, 01:38 PM
I am curious, why? I happen to think that is a statement of fact.

I guess you are correct, as I may have taken his statement the wrong way.

RaceGrrl
09-21-05, 03:21 PM
I'm holding on to my socks. I'm not a fan of "big things are coming...just you wait". I've waited....and waited...it's time to deliver. Don't say "things are coming", wait and tell us what is here.

Spot on. We've been burned too many times by this kind of thing. I'll believe it when I see it.

cameraman
09-21-05, 03:35 PM
Yeah, they have been talking to "major" sponsors for a few years now :shakehead

Jervis Tetch 1
09-22-05, 12:09 AM
I forgot my sock tethers.