PDA

View Full Version : Sad read, but it makes sense...

Lizzerd
03-16-03, 03:22 AM
Rocky Moran on CART (http://www.racingpress.com/publish/rocky031303.shtml)

I feel for Rocky. He makes good points in this article, and much of it I do agree with. I thought this was particularly interesting...

The fact is, CART has made a mistake in not making a better effort in assisting its ladder series drivers and, in particular, its American drivers into its top formula. The average American race fan does not care about a bunch of rich, foreign drivers whose names they can't pronounce.

I think he's right about the "average American fan", and I would love to see more Americans in CART too. In fact, I think more Americans in the series is essential if we want to regain the overall popularity that OW racing once had in this country (as in pre-1996).

But, I believe that I and most people here are not what one would call the "average" fan. I will support CART, buy merchandise, and attend races whoever are behind the wheels.

pchall
03-16-03, 10:27 AM
Rocky is a bit bitter because he still doesn't have the funds for a CART seat.

Other than that, the "average" American fan is only interested in billboards that circulate within easy tv camera range. If he wants to appeal to them he'll need to do even more sponsorship hunting and glad handing than he is apparently doing now.

RTKar
03-16-03, 11:38 AM
It's sad when he lists 17 drivers that aren't getting a solid shot in a Champcar, 16 excluding Memo. Not to sound too Xenophobic, but I feel CART needs more American drivers to appeal to the average American fan (ie; increase US tv ratings). Think of the ramifications if CART had more homegrown talent than the irl? It would speak volumes about the series and the split. It's disengenuous of CART to talk of a feeder system and then not use it. We point fingers at TG for the lies and rhetoric he's spewed, when are we going to hold the team owners and CART liable for their actions in this matter?

pchall
03-16-03, 11:50 AM
When a thread like this starts, all I can think is why can't American drivers do the sponsorship deals as effectively as the guys who get the rides.

"The problem is not in your set."

RTKar
03-16-03, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by pchall
When a thread like this starts, all I can think is why can't American drivers do the sponsorship deals as effectively as the guys who get the rides.

"The problem is not in your set."

True, American nationalism doesn't manifest itself by corporate sponsorship to formula car racing but since CART is subsidizing its' field this year, a perfect opportunity was presented to establish a few more Americans in CART.

Mike Kellner
03-16-03, 12:33 PM
The problem isn't CART. It's American sponsors. They only want a sure thing. After you become Mario Andretti, they will sponsor you. If you are some kid from New Jersey who needs a sponsor to run a season or three of Atlantics before you are ready try Champ Cars, it's Mario who needs a million dollars do do what? I can get a SuperBowl ad for that kind of money.

The foreign sponors will pick up a hot prospect early on and sponsor him as he goes up through the ranks. Until American sponsors do that, our guys will never have a chance.

fourrunner
03-16-03, 01:54 PM
Has Rocky Moran Jr been tested by any team?

What were his Times?

Were they better than the Foreign Devils Times, were they better than another American Drivers times?

Is he Better than Memo Gidley or the others that also don't have Rides?

Shouldn't he also criticize the IRL which also seems to be going even more "Foreign" lately?

I understand his right to complain about the American Driver situation, but CART is a Sanctioning Series, and the Team Owners are Independent Contractors. CART cannot dictate to the owners who the Drivers are, they can suggest,but they cannot dictate.

If, for sake of argument, that CART decided to fully fund a "House Team" that would only have an American Driver, would Rocky be that driver?

The days of the Provimi Veals of the World following a driver as sponsor through his carreer like they did with Arie Luyendyk are apparently over, so Rocky must do as the Europeans do, Get better and blow them away, or get a Sponsor!! But neither of these is a guarantee, but #2 is easier.

I really only hear a few American drivers who CART fans repeatedly insist should have drives for CART to succeed, Rocky Moran Jr usually isn't on that list!

No offense Rocky!! ;)

One thing Rocky does know.... If you want to get your Opinions heard in the Racing Press, Make sure CART is used in a Negative light in your statement. To the Press, thats better than Sex!! ;)

nrc
03-16-03, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Mike Kellner
The problem isn't CART. It's American sponsors. They only want a sure thing.

When CART doles out over 30 million to get a full field this year and can only come up with two American drivers, I think that CART is most certainly part of the problem. And whether or not the bulk of the blame for the problem lies with the drivers, the sponsors, or little green men from Mars, it's CART whose interests are suffering.

I don't think there are anywhere close to 17 American drivers who merit a CART ride, there are plenty of American's who I think would be more competitive than the bottom quarter of the current field.

Mike Kellner
03-16-03, 04:11 PM
CART spent money to fill the grid. It is up to team owners to choose drivers. If Rocky Moran had brought more to the table than the Furrin Devils, he'd be driving in CART.

Personally I don't care where they come from, as long as they drive well.

My advice to American drivers is drive faster, crash less often and bring your own sponsor. The foreigners have proved that this technique works. I am not interested in watching some special needs series for incompetent American drivers. If I wanted to see that, I'd be a NASCAR fan.

A thought, perhaps Rocky should ask Danica for pointers on how to get sponsored.

fourrunner
03-16-03, 05:55 PM

A thought, perhaps Rocky should ask Danica for pointers on how to get sponsored.

Breast Augmentation!! ;)

Mike Kellner
03-16-03, 06:02 PM
"Breast Augmentation!!"

I see no evidence of that.

nrc
03-16-03, 06:08 PM
CART spent money to fill the grid. It is up to team owners to choose drivers.

By the same token you could say that it's up to the team owners to provide good racing. But CART recognizes their responsibilitity to provide a good product for the fans and sponsors, so they adjust the rules as necessary and they put up the money to ensure that there's a full field of race cars. Suggesting that CART should work to make sure they have a viable product in every area except for who is sitting in the cockpit seems silly to me.

Why? Moran found sponsorship to come through the ladder and run Atlantics for several years.

The issue is that American drivers are not getting into Champ Car rides even when they show they have the talent to compete. You could justify that when Americans weren't proving themselves in the feeders and the series was nearly full of world class talent. That doesn't wash with today's field.

Filling out the field with mediocre drivers with fat checkbooks won't help CART regain it's popularity in the U.S.

mnkywrch
03-16-03, 06:22 PM
My advice to American drivers is drive faster, crash less often and bring your own sponsor. The foreigners have proved that this technique works. I am not interested in watching some special needs series for incompetent American drivers. If I wanted to see that, I'd be a NASCAR fan.

In NASCAR, any driver who won the BGN title the way that Buddy Rice or Townsend Bell won their titles would have been snapped up immediately by NASCAR owners.

If you win the title of the top CART feeder series you shouldn't have a problem finding a ride in CART the following season.

Sure, there's going to be the occasional dud who can't step up (see Sharp, Scott and Buhl, Robbie), but there's no way that Buddy Rice, Hoover Orsi, AND Jon Fogarty weren't good enough for Champ Cars.

If that is the case (Atlantics guys aren't ready) the onus is on CART to some up with a short-term and long-term fix to the problem. Atlantics should be the best place in the world to find fresh CART talent. If it's not, fix it or shut down the series. At least you won't lead kids on with illusions that CART gives a rip about them.

WickerBill
03-16-03, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by mnkywrch
In NASCAR, any driver who won the BGN title the way that Buddy Rice or Townsend Bell won their titles would have been snapped up immediately by NASCAR owners.

LaJoie, Randy

I don't think you're right on that count. Even NASCAR goes through phases where the feeder series isn't worth two monkey poops in the WC owners' eyes.

fourrunner
03-16-03, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by fourrunner
Breast Augmentation!! ;)

Neither do I - my suggestion was for Rocky! It would definitely draw attention!

Dr. Corkski
03-16-03, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by nrc
Filling out the field with mediocre drivers with fat checkbooks won't help CART regain it's popularity in the U.S. Sure it is. Having Rodolfo Lavin tag every single wall at a 50-turn 1.2 mile street party is supposed to make CART bigger than Jesus in this country. :D

mnkywrch
03-16-03, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by WickerBill
I don't think you're right on that count. Even NASCAR goes through phases where the feeder series isn't worth two monkey poops in the WC owners' eyes.

The guy was how old?

It's like when Lazzaro won Atlantics - he was old enough to be Jourdain's father, IIRC...

GOFAST1
03-16-03, 09:16 PM
Blah, blah, blah! I can't show it on the track, so I chose to blame everything and everybody to get a little glory in the paper. Old news! American talent, if there's any, step up or shut up! There are fans in this country who adore formula one. It's like me saying, "Who needs a Ferrari when I cannot afford one?" Little indy darling, Sara Fisher, drove a formula one car last year, 15 seconds slower than the last qualified time, and the media and fans from all over Imdianapolis were pissing themselves from happiness, and it was front page news, in every major racing publication, but who needs formula-1, right?

Ziggy
03-17-03, 07:29 PM
Bottom line, they do need American's in the series. I nominate Kurt Busch, who obviously loves to race! The Atlantic series is nothing but big money for no pot of gold. Unless you have a sponsor lined up to carry you onto the next level, don't expect the phone to ring. CART does not have a proper ladder series IMO. Cars cost too much. They are expensive to buy, maintain and race. They need a cheap high horsepower formula that in is the area of 100,000 for engine and car.

I have been saying it for years, F5000 with fuel injected small block 305 cubic inch chevy's. No carbon fiber, no titanium, no expensive electronics. Just a basic, good handling car that is robust and cheap. Something that a guy with some smarts and a welder and metal brake can build in the confines of his own garage.

Short Sprint races, the Fans will love it

Ziggy

GOFAST1
03-17-03, 08:39 PM
Why not go-carts?:rolleyes:

cart7
03-17-03, 08:42 PM
I thought TG was supposed to fix all this! :eek:

This thread is sounding strangely familiar. I'd better check which forum I'm logged onto.:D

Ziggy
03-18-03, 06:58 AM
Well, it continues to be a problem, year after year.

Ziggy