PDA

View Full Version : CART Precision Racing

Tifosi24
09-19-05, 12:49 AM
While looking for tracks for FIA GT I stumbled upon a few things for this old game. I kind of wish I hadn't have sent it in as part of a rebate for Viper Racing just so I could install it for a while again, just to see how it stands up. It was really editable from a track standpoint, it was a pity that the crash physics and part of the 3D engine needed work and there was on one there to work on it.

devilmaster
09-19-05, 02:59 AM
While looking for tracks for FIA GT I stumbled upon a few things for this old game. I kind of wish I hadn't have sent it in as part of a rebate for Viper Racing just so I could install it for a while again, just to see how it stands up. It was really editable from a track standpoint, it was a pity that the crash physics and part of the 3D engine needed work and there was on one there to work on it.

I'd offer you my copy, but i don't think its readable anymore.... It has served many a faithful year as a drink coaster.

To be honest, in all my driving/racing games, it is ranked dead freakin last. I still like playing Danny Sullivan's Indy Heat arcade game on a MAME emulator more than Precision. It was a terrible piece of game. The only thing I got out of it was Derrick Walker sound bites on what you could do to the car to change the setup of it.... I still believe Microsoft used part of the engine from Monster Truck Madness in Precision..... Papyrus was sooooo much better.

It'd be good if someone could convince EA Games that it would be simple to modify their F1 games themselves (it should be at a low cost, since there are people out there modifying the F1 game themselves) and then sell the Champcar game as a niche title. You have CC sell the game at tracks with their merchandise, and with an EA logo on it - you could make some decent scratch. Or, modify their F1 game and sell it in the F1 game as a F1/CC mix(assuming Bernie doesn't have right of refusal on that). At the very least, don't get some small company to put out a title that doesn't have the marketing power behind it. EA really is the one and only company anyone should look at. If there is a second, I'd say Codemasters - I know, I know, they did the Indy racing game. But they have a great ability in making good racing games, as shown by the pro race driver series and the old touring car series. (both of which i still play)

The game I'm playing the most now, is Michael Schumacher's Kart Challenge 2005. Decent game, picked it up for 15 bucks at the KartExpo in Chicago last Feb.

Dr. Corkski
09-19-05, 03:37 AM
It'd be good if someone could convince EA Games that it would be simple to modify their F1 games themselves (it should be at a low cost, since there are people out there modifying the F1 game themselves) and then sell the Champcar game as a niche title. You have CC sell the game at tracks with their merchandise, and with an EA logo on it - you could make some decent scratch. Or, modify their F1 game and sell it in the F1 game as a F1/CC mix(assuming Bernie doesn't have right of refusal on that). At the very least, don't get some small company to put out a title that doesn't have the marketing power behind it. EA really is the one and only company anyone should look at. If there is a second, I'd say Codemasters - I know, I know, they did the Indy racing game. But they have a great ability in making good racing games, as shown by the pro race driver series and the old touring car series. (both of which i still play)That won't happen because a) EA doesn't actually develop the games themselves nowdays, they just buy up studios to do it for them; b) they lost the F1 license to Sony, which means only Sony can produce any F1 video games, including past titles; c) EA knows they will lose money making niche games, because modders will do it for free.

Get rFactor if you want a PC racing game. It's the successor to F1 CC 99-02, specifically designed for the modding community. There is already a F3 Euroseries mod that is already more popular than the game itself. As for Champ Car, I am sure iDt will not disappoint.

coolhand
09-19-05, 03:59 AM
That won't happen because a) EA doesn't actually develop the games themselves nowdays, they just buy up studios to do it for them; b) they lost the F1 license to Sony, which means only Sony can produce any F1 video games, including past titles; c) EA knows they will lose money making niche games, because modders will do it for free.

Get rFactor if you want a PC racing game. It's the successor to F1 CC 99-02, specifically designed for the modding community. There is already a F3 Euroseries mod that is already more popular than the game itself. As for Champ Car, I am sure iDt will not disappoint.

when will the IDT mod be complete?

cart7
09-19-05, 06:12 AM
I had the game and sold it too. The game came up short in so many ways.

Sean O'Gorman
09-19-05, 09:33 AM
I still like playing Danny Sullivan's Indy Heat arcade game on a MAME emulator more than Precision.

I now feel like less of a nerd for knowing I'm not the only one who has played Indy Heat on an emuator. :D