09-18-05, 07:49 PM
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT18/refresh/AL1805W5+gif/025617W_sm.gif

fourrunner
09-18-05, 08:41 PM
How Warm is the Water in the Gulf ?

That's the Major Concern !

SteveH
09-18-05, 08:48 PM
Shortly after Katrina I heard the northern gulf surface temperature was 2 degrees above average.

Ziggy
09-18-05, 08:54 PM
I really hope God spares these people another round of misery

Ziggy

fourrunner
09-18-05, 09:26 PM
If that track holds, Its heading for Galveston region ... I watched a Documentary on the Historic Galveston Storm ... The rebuilt the Island and Raised the Shoreline 12 feet or more ... Still the way these Hurricanes are reaching "Super Storm" status .... And they're just popping up out of nowhere!!

dando
09-18-05, 09:27 PM
Carrot muncher, ya beat me to it (prolly a good thing to put the other thread to rest, tho). Peak season has begun, and Phillipe and Rita have formed. I'll be bet they end up running the alphabet this season. Record is 20+ back in 33, 19 as recent as '95, IIRC.

-Kevin

KLang
09-19-05, 09:57 AM
I sure hope that long range track doesn't hold up. We're supposed to leave for Vegas on Thursday. :cry:

Wheel-Nut
09-19-05, 10:11 AM
How Warm is the Water in the Gulf ?

That's the Major Concern !

Water temp in the western G o M are holding at 85 and a couple of tenths. Very warm right now.

Wheel-Nut
09-19-05, 10:16 AM
If that track holds, Its heading for Galveston region ... I watched a Documentary on the Historic Galveston Storm ... The rebuilt the Island and Raised the Shoreline 12 feet or more ... Still the way these Hurricanes are reaching "Super Storm" status .... And they're just popping up out of nowhere!!

If a Cat 5 storm hit Galveston Island it would be just like what you see in Mississippi and Alabama today. Yes, part of the island is "protected" by a 15' seawall but that does nothing for a 30' storm surge. The west end of the island is not protected by anything . . . lots of recent construction, population movement to the west end.

Cat 5 storm + Galveston Island = MAJOR DESTRUCTION. :thumdown:

Ankf00
09-19-05, 10:27 AM
I hope that track does hold and it really does hit land south of corpus and matagorda bay like that one storm that came up the gulf shore from mexico my first year of school did... ended up just flinging a buncha cattle on the King Ranch around and not much more, thank god...

this thing might ruin the last day of ACL Fest... :cry:

rabbit
09-19-05, 12:10 PM
I just noticed the graphic updates itself. It looks like it might make a northern turn in the Gulf. :cry:

Ankf00
09-19-05, 03:38 PM
current track means Galveston Bay gets flooded and Clear Lake gets pounded :(

KLang
09-19-05, 03:48 PM
I'm not liking that 11:00am update. Anyone know how often the estimate is updated?

Rob
09-19-05, 04:05 PM
I'm not liking that 11:00am update. Anyone know how often the estimate is updated?
Not sure how often it updates, but it's important to remember that Katrina was originally forecast to re-enter the Florida Panhandle after going through the peninsula. For all we know, Rita could hit Mexico, or it could track right through New Orleans again. There's still plenty of time for the forecast path to change dramatically. Hopefully things will change for the better.

Rob
09-19-05, 04:10 PM
double post

JoeBob
09-19-05, 04:40 PM
The national hurricane center usually updates those three times a day. Once in the morning, once mid day, and once in the evening.

The official "prediction" is based on a group of models, and takes all of them into account. The hurricane could end up within any of the shaded areas in the timeframes given. The line is merely the center of the possible area - not a predicted path.

Here's the latest models:
http://maps.wunderground.com/data/images/at200518_model.gif

and a discussion of them: http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/at200518.disc.html Note the variations, and the note to not use them for planning purposes.

I've found the most complete information on hurricanes here: http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/

Tifosi24
09-19-05, 05:12 PM
Latest 5-day forecast shows no significant change in where the models see the center of the "cone". One interesting change I saw is that the south end of the cone is straight while the north end is curved. So, from the NOAA model and the hurricane model that JoeBob showed it looks like this wants to take a turn some time in the Gulf. Lets just hope it doesn't hit one of those heat eddys like Katrina did and go from a low grade Cat2 to Cat5 overnight.

racer2c
09-19-05, 06:13 PM
I think it's time that the government reopen its 'hurricane killing' experiments that it ended in the early 60's due to lack of evidence and pleas from the Mexican government that it would take away needed rain. There was one hurricane that was part of the experiment that the scientists believed their methods greatly reduced it's impact but the project was killed before they could duplicate the results.

Wabbit
09-19-05, 06:21 PM
I think it's time that the government reopen its 'hurricane killing' experiments that it ended in the early 60's due to lack of evidence and pleas from the Mexican government that it would take away needed rain. There was one hurricane that was part of the experiment that the scientists believed their methods greatly reduced it's impact but the project was killed before they could duplicate the results.

Read the conspiracy sights. DARPA is actually causing these hurricanes. :rolleyes:

Elmo T
09-19-05, 06:23 PM
I've found the most complete information on hurricanes here: http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/

Another good hurricane site here:

Hurricane Watch Net (http://www.hwn.org/)

dando
09-19-05, 06:28 PM
Updates are every three hours, full updates (including storm tracks) are every 6 hours. Intermediate updates are made the storm type changes, etc.

-Kevin

dando
09-19-05, 06:32 PM
Joe Bastardi is forecasting cat 3 or 4 landfall in Texas around the HOU area. There is a trof coming in from the west that should pick her up and move her north towards and after landfall as the new 5-dat tracks forecast suggests. As always, timing is critical...if she slows down, all bets are off. In addition to the human impact, I shudder to think of what will happen if the refineries along the Texas coast are affected.

-Kevin

JLMannin
09-19-05, 07:30 PM
No matter where it lands, the oil companies are going to talk of total devestation of refining capacity. There is too much money on the table for them to act any differently.

Ankf00
09-20-05, 09:40 AM
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT18/refresh/AL1805W5_sm2+gif/084912W_sm.gif

weekend's gonna be ruined at this pace, hopefully it goes 100 miles south to all that ranch land south of where it's tracked to land in this pic

KLang
09-20-05, 09:54 AM
The predicted track has moved south quite a bit. :thumbup: I hope it continues. We should have a better idea tomorrow once it get's into the gulf.

Ankf00
09-20-05, 10:38 AM
good track for us, horrible track for corpus christi residents and the USS Lexington... :(

it needs to hit either NOLA or king ranch, least populated areas on this side of the gulf

Wabbit
09-20-05, 03:17 PM
Think it could jump over the gulf and land full force on Crawford, TX, and dump it's entire precip there? Let's see how fast FEMA responds when it hits there. :p

anait
09-20-05, 03:53 PM
^^ (What's in Crawford?)

Racing Truth
09-20-05, 04:07 PM
^^ (What's in Crawford?)

Pfffffttt. Canucks. :rolleyes:

:p ;)

That would be where President Bush's ranch is.

Ankf00
09-20-05, 04:22 PM
supposedly tomorrow Galveston has mandatory evac. stupid storm, why can't it stay in Florida where they belong? :p

anait
09-20-05, 04:56 PM
Pfffffttt. Canucks. :rolleyes:

:p ;)

That would be where President Bush's ranch is.

:D I figured it was something I wouldn't know, but would get teased about not knowing! Thnx for the info.

G.
09-20-05, 06:04 PM
Predicting CAT 4 over the Gulf.

dando
09-20-05, 06:33 PM
Predicting CAT 4 over the Gulf.
NHC upped their forecast from 105 knots to 115 knots w/in 24 hours. Bastardi is calling for 120 knots (140 mph) before landfall. :(

-Kevin

Ankf00
09-20-05, 09:09 PM
yay, I now get to play Evacuee Shelter Host... so much for Austin City Limits Festival :thumdown:

BOOOO
HISS!!!

dando
09-20-05, 09:26 PM
yay, I now get to play Evacuee Shelter Host... so much for Austin City Limits Festival :thumdown:

BOOOO
HISS!!!
Sorry for your luck, Ank. No. Really. :gomer: It's not gonna be a good weekend down there. Teemu was really looking forward to the show, too, and trying to get me to come down for it (d00d, like OSU/Iowa is this weekend. Duh.). Plus, our dept. admin is in DFW for her youngest's wedding. :(

-Kevin

dando
09-20-05, 10:58 PM
110mph as of 11pm EDT. Expect rapid intensification over the next 24 hours. Should be strong cat 3, possibly low cat 4 by this time tomorrow. Looks like Galveston is a sitting duck like Sanibel/Captiva last August. :(

-Kevin

rabbit
09-20-05, 11:17 PM
110mph as of 11pm EDT. Expect rapid intensification over the next 24 hours. Should be strong cat 3, possibly low cat 4 by this time tomorrow. Looks like Galveston is a sitting duck like Sanibel/Captiva last August. :(

-Kevin
Which would put Houston, which many of the Katrina evacuees are now calling "home," right in the path. :shakehead

Ankf00
09-20-05, 11:29 PM
track is showing it hitting Freeport south of Houston, which means Galveston Bay gets the most flooding, and Houston takes the worst winds...

did I ever tell y'all how ****ing idiotic my family is? sis thinks she's ok b/c she lives in central Houston and not Clear Lake down by the bay, dad's plan is to wait till tomorrow night to go to the sister's... keep in mind all of our other relatives and my own friends are getting the **** outta dodge tomorrow morning once they're done preparing their homes... :shakehead

and a cat 4 hitting freeport means Clear Lake gets flooded w/ the bay backed up for a day... :( I-45 is already a parking lot heading out of galveston/clear lake towards downtown...

dando
09-20-05, 11:34 PM
Which would put Houston, which many of the Katrina evacuees are now calling "home," right in the path. :shakehead
*sigh* I know. :( NHC increased the forecast to 125 kts (~145 mph) w/in 48 hours. The local wx guy said tonight that the Gulf is 85-87 degrees right now, and one model has it growing to a cat 5. :shakehead

-Kevin

dando
09-20-05, 11:45 PM
FYI, Over the weekend I recalled the talk about the Twinspans being destroyed in NOLA by Katrina, but I never heard anything more about them after the first day or so of the catastrophe. I did some looking into this through Google Earth and the NOAA images over the weekend. Astounding! (http://ngs.woc.noaa.gov/storms/katrina/24431089.jpg) (warning large image). :eek:

Pics of the rest of the area here:

http://ngs.woc.noaa.gov/katrina/090A30A_KATRINA.HTM

-Kevin

rabbit
09-20-05, 11:51 PM
FYI, Over the weekend I recalled the talk about the Twinspans being destroyed in NOLA by Katrina, but I never heard anything more about them after the first day or so of the catastrophe. I did some looking into this through Google Earth and the NOAA images over the weekend. Astounding! (http://ngs.woc.noaa.gov/storms/katrina/24431089.jpg) (warning large image). :eek:

Pics of the rest of the area here:

http://ngs.woc.noaa.gov/katrina/090A30A_KATRINA.HTM

-KevinIs it just me or does it look like, in places, there are cars on that bridge? :eek:

Ed_Severson
09-21-05, 12:03 AM
This is getting interesting, and tense.

My parents are in League City. Supposed to be headed to San Antonio this weekend for business/pleasure trip, but since dad runs one of the refineries in Texas City, he might have to stick around.

:(

dando
09-21-05, 12:03 AM
Is it just me or does it look like, in places, there are cars on that bridge? :eek:
Perhaps cars and boats:

http://ngs.woc.noaa.gov/storms/katrina/24431127.jpg

-Kevin

Ankf00
09-21-05, 12:57 AM
http://www.weatherunderground.com/blog/SteveGregory/show.html

HURRICANE RITA NEARS MAJOR CATEGORY 3 INTENSITY
EXTREMELY DANGEROUS CATEGORY 4 STORM
SURGE FREEPORT TO TEXAS/LA STATE LINE POSSIBLE SATURDAY

:(

B3RACER1a
09-21-05, 09:23 AM
...SATELLITE SUGGESTS THAT RITA HAS BECOME A CATEGORY FOUR
HURRICANE...

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE FLORIDA KEYS FROM
THE MARQUESAS KEYS WESTWARD TO THE DRY TORTUGAS.

INTERESTS IN THE NORTHWESTERN GULF OF MEXICO SHOULD MONITOR THE
PROGRESS OF RITA.

FOR STORM INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO YOUR AREA...INCLUDING POSSIBLE
INLAND WATCHES AND WARNINGS...PLEASE MONITOR PRODUCTS ISSUED
BY YOUR LOCAL WEATHER OFFICE.

AT 8 AM EDT...1200Z...THE EYE OF HURRICANE RITA WAS LOCATED NEAR
LATITUDE 24.4 NORTH...LONGITUDE 85.3 WEST OR ABOUT 195 MILES...
WEST OF KEY WEST FLORIDA AND ABOUT 790 MILES EAST-SOUTHEAST OF
CORPUS CHRISTI TEXAS.

RITA IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST NEAR 14 MPH AND THIS GENERAL MOTION
IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE FOR THE NEXT 24 HOURS. THIS MOTION SHOULD
BRING THE CENTER OF RITA FARTHER AWAY FROM THE FLORIDA KEYS OVER
THE SOUTHEASTERN GULF OF MEXICO TODAY.

SATELLITE IMAGERY SUGGESTS THAT RITA HAS CONTINUED TO STRENGHTEN AND
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS HAVE INCREASED TO NEAR 135 MPH WITH HIGHER
GUSTS. RITA IS NOW A CATEGORY FOUR HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON
SCALE. A NOAA PLANE WILL CHECK THE INTENSITY LATER THIS MORNING.
SOME ADDITIONAL STRENGTHENING IS POSSIBLE DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 45 MILES FROM THE
CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 140
MILES.

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 948 MB...28.00 INCHES.

COASTAL STORM SURGE FLOODING OF 4 TO 6 FT ABOVE NORMAL TIDE LEVELS
IS POSSIBLE IN THE TROPICAL STORM WARNING AREA. STORM SURGE
FLOODING ELSEWHERE IN THE FLORIDA KEYS AND SOUTH FLORIDA SHOULD
SUBSIDE TODAY.

RITA IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE ADDITIONAL RAINFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 1
TO 3 INCHES OVER PORTIONS OF EXTREME SOUTHERN FLORIDA AND THE
FLORIDA KEYS. RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF 3 TO 5 INCHES...WITH MAXIMUM
AMOUNTS OF 10 INCHES OVER THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS...ARE POSSIBLE OVER
NORTHWEST CUBA. RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF 1 TO 3 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE
OVER THE NORTHERN YUCATAN PENINSULA.

REPEATING THE 8 AM EDT POSITION...24.4 N... 85.3 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...WEST NEAR 14 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...135 MPH.
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE... 948 MB.

THE NEXT ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER AT
11 AM EDT.

Yikes. :eek:

G.
09-21-05, 10:45 AM
klang, I hope you're already gone...

Be safe everyone.

Ankf00
09-21-05, 10:53 AM
BAHAHAHAHAH!!!

ACL Fest is on, rain or shine, according to my contacts :D I'm gonna be Hurricane Ank it looks like... I wonder what the over/under on getting airborne during the Walkmen set is, hrm... I can't wait to be driving south on I-35 while the northbound lane from corpus to dallas is a parking lot :D

and apparently I'm not only the offspring and brother to the braindead, i'm also the nephew to the braindead, what is wrong with Indians? "we'll wait and see"... BUY SOME PLYWOOD and get the hell out!

dando
09-21-05, 10:57 AM
11am EDT 140 mph estimated. New NHC forecast:

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INITIAL 21/1500Z 24.3N 85.9W 120 KT
12HR VT 22/0000Z 24.5N 87.9W 135 KT
24HR VT 22/1200Z 25.0N 90.0W 130 KT
36HR VT 23/0000Z 25.7N 92.0W 125 KT
48HR VT 23/1200Z 26.6N 94.0W 120 KT
72HR VT 24/1200Z 29.0N 96.5W 100 KT...INLAND
96HR VT 25/1200Z 32.5N 97.5W 40 KT...INLAND
120HR VT 26/1200Z 35.5N 97.0W 25 KT...INLAND

That's cat 5 w/in 12 hours. The good news is that she's not likely to hold that strength for long, so she should weaken to a cat 4ish storm by landfall (let's hope). Bastardi's comments this AM were that a 60 mile error could make this a $100B storm rather than a $10B storm. His current track forecast is 75 miles or so S of Galveston/HOU.

EDIT: One of the models Bastardi showed today has 40' waves into Galveston! :eek:

-Kevin

KLang
09-21-05, 11:25 AM

Be safe everyone.

I wish. I'm all for heading to Vegas tomorrow morning as planned but the wife is worried about getting her business back up Monday morning. Not sure what she expects to do with no electricity. :rolleyes: So it seems likely we are staying.

Our house is about 75 miles inland from Galveston so no flooding worries. I don't have much faith in the ability of our four year old house to stand up to hurricane force winds though. :(

Funny stuff here at work. Never any money in the budget for proper disaster recovery planning so 'management' is making it up right now as I type. Me: 'Ah no, I don't know how to power the mainframe down, IBM normally does that'. What a clusterxxxx this will be. :laugh:

dando
09-21-05, 11:27 AM
BAHAHAHAHAH!!!

ACL Fest is on, rain or shine, according to my contacts :D I'm gonna be Hurricane Ank it looks like... I wonder what the over/under on getting airborne during the Walkmen set is, hrm... I can't wait to be driving south on I-35 while the northbound lane from corpus to dallas is a parking lot :D

and apparently I'm not only the offspring and brother to the braindead, i'm also the nephew to the braindead, what is wrong with Indians? "we'll wait and see"... BUY SOME PLYWOOD and get the hell out!
One would think it less than prudent to consider a tropical storm/hurricane some 300 miles wide as rain. But that's just me. YMMV *shrug*

-Kevin

dando
09-21-05, 11:33 AM

Be safe everyone.
Turn 78 and Wheel Nut, too.

Thoughts and prayers to y'all (despite yer dissing the Bucks ;)).

-Kevin

G.
09-21-05, 11:41 AM
Funny stuff here at work. Never any money in the budget for proper disaster recovery planning so 'management' is making it up right now as I type. Me: 'Ah no, I don't know how to power the mainframe down, IBM normally does that'. What a clusterxxxx this will be. :laugh:They don't have a Hunkering Down process?? :shakehead

Stay safe, all Gulf Coasters.

Ankf00
09-21-05, 12:11 PM
One would think it less than prudent to consider a tropical storm/hurricane some 300 miles wide as rain. But that's just me. YMMV *shrug*

-Kevin

yea that's what I thought, but if the idiots want to send drug addled musicians on stage to their deaths, fine by me... i'll tie a rope around my waist, put a stake 10' into the ground, and enjoy the ride :) (cat 1 winds predicted in Austin so there's no way the organizers can go through with this, but I've already sunk the $ into the tix, so no sense in not going to town and at least drinking it up w/ all my buds...)

if that really does hit that close to galveston I might have no more home... :( mfr needs to go SOUTH, south south south.

dando
09-21-05, 12:13 PM
yea that's what I thought, but if the idiots want to send drug addled musicians on stage to their deaths, fine by me... i'll tie a rope around my waist, put a stake 10' into the ground, and enjoy the ride :) (cat 1 winds predicted in Austin so there's no way the organizers can go through with this, but I've already sunk the $ into the tix, so no sense in not going and at least drinking it up...)

if that really does hit south of galveston I have no more home... :( mfr needs to go SOUTH, south south south.
You'll fly like a kite in dat breeze, holmes. ;)

The track forecast models are starting to become more consistent now:

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200518_model.html

The cone of uncertainty narrows a bit...

-Kevin

Ankf00
09-21-05, 12:13 PM
SOUTH!!!!!

devilmaster
09-21-05, 12:26 PM
I wish. I'm all for heading to Vegas tomorrow morning as planned but the wife is worried about getting her business back up Monday morning. Not sure what she expects to do with no electricity. :rolleyes: So it seems likely we are staying.

i'll tie a rope around my waist, put a stake 10' into the ground, and enjoy the ride (cat 1 winds predicted in Austin so there's no way the organizers can go through with this, but I've already sunk the $ into the tix, so no sense in not going to town and at least drinking it up w/ all my buds...)

If Rita bears down on ya, just get out. I can't think of a better reason to go to Vegas for the race and a little gambling. Houses and businesses can be repaired and fixed up. Dead lives can't.

Besides, FEMA and everyone has sunk all the resources into katrina. If rita is big and bad, it will take some time to get to the area....

anait
09-21-05, 12:37 PM
^^^ What Steve said.

KLang
09-21-05, 12:46 PM
If Rita bears down on ya, just get out. I can't think of a better reason to go to Vegas for the race and a little gambling. Houses and businesses can be repaired and fixed up. Dead lives can't.

I completely agree. Haven't been able to convince my wife, yet.

RichK
09-21-05, 12:47 PM
Everyone down there be safe!

devilmaster
09-21-05, 12:49 PM
I completely agree. Haven't been able to convince my wife, yet.

Show her a slideshow of post-katrina photos...

G.
09-21-05, 12:51 PM
I completely agree. Haven't been able to convince my wife, yet.Do you have a tornado shelter?

Even if your house stays perfectly intact, who's to say your neighbor's will. If it ain't the water, it's the flying **** that'll get ya.

Ankf00
09-21-05, 01:10 PM
KLang, you're going to be in a tornado zone. Make sure your wife realizes that... Show her pictures of Tropical Storm Allison, just google the images of I-59, downtown, the med center, all flooded.

And I hope for your sake your builder didn't pay off any inspectors and did a good job... and that your roof doesn't blow off.

Plywood, duct tape in x patterns to contain any broken glass, remove all potential missiles from yard (plants, gardening tools, etc), fill your bathtubs to the top and drop a lil bit of clorox to use for washing, sprongebaths, and the toilet if the water goes out, get a few gallons of drinking water, full tank of gas, starting filling all your ice chests with ice from the freezer on Thursday b/c when the power goes out you're going to appreciate having cold drinks w/ no power on Monday :), if you want to check the roof for loose shingles and nail em down, but I'm assuming your home's pretty new so that shouldn't be an issue, cut down any weak limbs from trees near you, and then bundle 'em up...

for the record I doubt pops has listened to a thing I said, I'm sure our backyard is as cluttered as ever, I'm sure the windows are unprotected (Texas ins co's haven't offered wind protection since the 'cane in 1983), and I'm sure there's not much bottled, non-tap, drinking water and supplies... then again he's gonna bunker down with the sis near the med-center :rolleyes:

morons :shakehead... apparently none of the tools that organize it have ever seen a tropical storm... there's no way this thing goes on... 30 foot speaker towers and 100 foot sets vs. 60mph winds and lightning, I'm taking wind and lightning for -28...

The questions we've gotten from people are mostly, 'Is this thing still on?' and the answer is 100 percent yes." Capital Sports and Entertainment communications director Mark Higgins said Tuesday. CSE is producing the sold-out concert, set for Friday, Saturday and Sunday at Zilker Park.

dando
09-21-05, 01:18 PM
KLang, you're going to be in a tornado zone. Make sure your wife realizes that... Show her pictures of Tropical Storm Allison, just google the images of I-59, downtown, the med center, all flooded.

And I hope for your sake your builder didn't pay off any inspectors and did a good job... and that your roof doesn't blow off.

Plywood, duct tape in x patterns to contain any broken glass, remove all potential missiles from yard (plants, gardening tools, etc), fill your bathtubs to the top and drop a lil bit of clorox to use for washing, sprongebaths, and the toilet if the water goes out, get a few gallons of drinking water, full tank of gas, starting filling all your ice chests with ice from the freezer on Thursday b/c when the power goes out you're going to appreciate having cold drinks w/ no power on Monday :), if you want to check the roof for loose shingles and nail em down, but I'm assuming your home's pretty new so that shouldn't be an issue, cut down any weak limbs from trees near you, and then bundle 'em up...

for the record I doubt pops has listened to a thing I said, I'm sure our backyard is as cluttered as ever, I'm sure the windows are unprotected (Texas ins co's haven't offered wind protection since the 'cane in 1983), and I'm sure there's not much bottled, non-tap, drinking water and supplies... then again he's gonna bunker down with the sis near the med-center

morons :shakehead... apparently none of the tools that organize it have ever seen a tropical storm... there's no way this thing goes on... 30 foot speaker towers and 100 foot sets vs. 60mph winds and lightning, I'm taking wind and lightning for -28...

Sounds like Ank saw the Sesame Street hurricane episode reruns last week. ;)

re: ACL :shakehead ...sounds like a liability nightmare. Foosball games will be cancelled/changed en masse shortly:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2167425

@ least some folks have some sense. Texas is big, but this storm is ginormous, folks.

-Kevin

Ankf00
09-21-05, 01:24 PM
F#CK! :(

Parts of Houston join evacuation
From staff and wire reports

As Hurricane Rita chugged toward the Gulf Coast as a Category 4 storm today, Houston's mayor ordered residents living in vulnerable areas such as Clear Lake to evacuate, asked companies to let non-essential employees skip work and suggested schools cancel classes.

Mayor Bill White said those who fall under a mandatory evacuation beginning at 6 p.m. today are:

Anyone living in storm surge zone A, which includes Clear Lake, Seabrook and other low-lying areas along Galveston Bay.
Anyone living in a mobile home or other dwelling that won't withstand strong winds.

GO SOUTH!!!!!!

Ankf00
09-21-05, 01:25 PM
Sounds like Ank saw the Sesame Street hurricane episode reruns last week. ;)

meh, more like been through one before, ass :p

Wheel-Nut
09-21-05, 01:30 PM
Turn 78 and Wheel Nut, too.

Thoughts and prayers to y'all (despite yer dissing the Bucks ;)).

-Kevin

Thanks for the thought . . . sorry about OSU.

We are 125 miles from the GoM. (Mason and 290 for those of you that are familiar with the area.) I'm not too concerned about flooding but tornados are a concern. We will be staying . . . we are prepared as best we can be, water, food, beer . . .

My brother in law works for HPD, Houston Police. I spoke to him earlier and they are on 24 hour standby . . . he doesn't expect to be home before Monday so we are taking in his wife and two kids, they live in the same 'hood.

[mental note]Two more kids and my wifes sister, I need more beer!![/mental note]

This is going to be fun.

Ankf00
09-21-05, 01:45 PM
pops to sis: "we went through the other hurricane 2 years ago, no problems, so house will be fine, we're coming over now"

what the **** is wrong with my genes? you'd think with 4 advanced degrees between the 3 of them there'd be ONE logical thought!!

Allison == tropical storm NOT hurricane!!! It was 4 days of rain that caused flooding, there was no wind!!! No tornados!!!! Clear Lake wasn't a mandatory evacuation zone then!!!

sis, ever so omniscient : "called the menil properties, said we're ok, dont need to do anything, we'll be ok" "do you realize that a hurricane isn't just a point on a map? ever heard of a tornado?" "oh... I'll call them and call you back"

:shakehead

I need something to break...

Ankf00
09-21-05, 01:49 PM
pwn3d.

http://images.chron.com/content/news/photos/05/09/21/evac_hcoem.gif

dando
09-21-05, 02:12 PM
2PM update:

DATA FROM RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT INDICATE THAT RITA HAS INTENSIFIED A LITTLE MORE AND WINDS HAVE REACHED 150 MPH WINDS WITH A MINIMUM PRESSURE OF 920 MB. THIS MAKES RITA A STRONG CATEGORY FOUR HURRICANE.

A little more? :eek:

-Kevin

B3RACER1a
09-21-05, 02:22 PM
I've been watching the radar, and it looks like in the past frame or so it has taken a northward turn. I know hurricanes wobble with with different currents, but that looks vaguely familier. :eek:

devilmaster
09-21-05, 02:23 PM
so 5 more mph and it'll be a catagory 5.....

stop ****ing around people.... you saw what happened with katrina, don't be dumb - get outta the way.

In fact, lets look at this....

http://image.weather.com/images/maps/tropical/map_spectrop06_ltst_6nh_enus_600x405.jpg

The red area of concentrated heavy rainfall and heavy storms is as wide as florida...... If yer in the way, get out of the way.

Wabbit
09-21-05, 02:48 PM
I need something to break...

No, you need a drink.

Just think of the money you'll save in not having to buy Christmas presents. :shakehead

Poll: Wil Ankf00's relatives win next years Darwin Award?

Ankf00
09-21-05, 02:49 PM
Never before have I been glad I moved to this soulless cultureless shell of a city...

http://mq-mapgend.websys.aol.com/?e=9&GetMapDirect=Gme5diw%2ca%3a9u12%3b%40%24x1%2dtgl07 2%26%3d10%21r72u67%3a9u%40ahuz0g%40y%26hrzn9u%24gg rtau6%24n9r7%7c9%4022u6%2a%3al6t5%26%40%24%3a%26aa %260rblu6%24%2ehy%40gu672u%40%24%3a9w72%210%2a%3ag z7n%26%40

and then there's this option

http://mq-mapgend.websys.aol.com/?e=9&GetMapDirect=Gme5diw%2ca%3a9u12%3b%40%24xu%2da0gr7 2%26%3d1a%21zrl067%3a9u%40ahuz0g%40y%26hrzn9u%24gg rtau6%24n9r7%7c9%4022u6%2a%3al6t5%26%40%24%3a%26a7 %261yzgu6%24%2ehz%40aq0t2u%40%24%3a9w72%210%2a%3ag z7n%26%40

but thankfully not near the red star down here anymore...

http://mq-mapgend.websys.aol.com/?e=9&GetMapDirect=Gme5diw%2ca%3a9u12%3b%40%24lh%2d8sd67 2%26%3d1s%21u25h67%3a9u%40ahuz0g%40y%26hrzn9u%24xq yz00%402n56%2an%26u72u%2c%24xuzr%3a%26%40%24%3a1f% 40sd472u%40%5fwd%2d2nqf72%26%40%24nq67%261%2c%2400 62%3a%26

Ankf00
09-21-05, 02:56 PM
No, you need a drink.

Just think of the money you'll save in not having to buy Christmas presents. :shakehead

Poll: Wil Ankf00's relatives win next years Darwin Award?

the rellies ditched town today, it's the fam that has no gray-matter :mad:

anait
09-21-05, 02:59 PM
One of General Honore's phrases, which he's used a few different ways, comes to mind: "Don't get stuck on stupid!" :(

Anybody close enough to help Ank do an intervention??

Wheel-Nut
09-21-05, 03:05 PM
Never before have I been glad I moved to this soulless cultureless shell of a city...

You're not the only one that feels that way!! :rofl:

Ankf00
09-21-05, 03:10 PM
this is the only time Dallas > Houston. ONLY time... EVER... in the HISTORY of everness. :gomer:

and :p to you.

JoeBob
09-21-05, 03:23 PM
Anybody close enough to help Ank do an intervention??

And crazy enough to head towards a hurricane...

rabbit
09-21-05, 03:46 PM
New Orleans response to Katrina:
http://static.flickr.com/28/40217125_002c0fb411_o.jpg

Houston response to Rita:
http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/afp/20050921/capt.sge.jzh93.210905173425.photo00.photo.default-270x378.jpg?x=246&y=345&sig=ReUue_nSINoES.wFzaGFbw--

Anyone notice the subtle difference?

Ankf00
09-21-05, 03:54 PM
I-45 == parking lot. Not that Houston isn't a ginormous parking lot on most days anyways :D

eiregosod
09-21-05, 03:57 PM
Anyone notice the subtle difference?

yup, hindsight is 20/20

KLang
09-21-05, 04:03 PM
yup, hindsight is 20/20

Pretty sure we are executing existing plans. Plans in place before Katrina.

B3RACER1a
09-21-05, 04:06 PM
Cat 5 now. Weather Channel just received that up date, with 165 mph winds.

That thing just exploaded like Katrina in the warm waters.

dando
09-21-05, 04:26 PM
Cat 5 now. Weather Channel just received that up date, with 165 mph winds.

That thing just exploaded like Katrina in the warm waters.

WTNT63 KNHC 211955
TCUAT3
HURRICANE RITA TROPICAL CYCLONE UPDATE
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
255 PM CDT WED SEP 21 2005

DATA FROM RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT INDICATE THAT RITA HAS REACHED
CATEGORY FIVE INTENSITY WITH ESTIMATED MAXIMUM SUSTAINED SURFACE
WINDS OF 165 MPH. THIS WILL BE REFLECTED IN THE 4 PM CDT ADVISORY.

FORECASTER AVILA

Based on what I'm seeing, she's not done yet. I'll wager she can get to 175 by tonight. Let's hope she doesn't hold that strength long. This blows everyone's strength forecasts out of the water.

KLang, get the **** outta town. Stuff the wife in the trunk and head out.

-Kevin

Ankf00
09-21-05, 04:31 PM
Pretty sure we are executing existing plans. Plans in place before Katrina.

werd. makes all the whiners bitching about how we don't have a proper evac plan look like idjits. although when the tide does rise, and state 146 does get flooded, they will be partially right... :(

they finished re-do'ing Space Center Blvd extension up into Pasadena and Houston recently, it's our hurricane evac route down in Clear Lake... idjit contractor who first did it a couple of years ago built it 3 inches below flood-level... tore the entire strech of completed road up and rebuilt it...

Classic Apex
09-21-05, 04:37 PM
Only positive thing so far (and it ain't so positive) about Rita...her size.

If she maintains her size, the outter feeder bands will come ashore and tap out some of her energy before the brunt of her hits...rather than if she was a smaller and compact storm blasting the shore with everything she's got.

Dr. Corkski
09-21-05, 05:04 PM
yup, hindsight is 20/20And yet, some people still needs to be convinced to get out.

anait
09-21-05, 05:09 PM
And crazy enough to head towards a hurricane...

No, I'm not suggesting doing anything foolhardy, I'm just sayin - if anybody's in that area and on their own way out, they could drop by the Ank elders, give 'em some online community what for and/or stick them in the trunk, like dando suggested klang do with mrs. klang.

I know, I know...personal rights/decisions, whatever...man...where do you draw the line?? If my mother was in that situation and being obstinate (and I can totally see her being that way...is it age or genes or what??!!) and I had the capability to safely drag her out, I would. She could cut me out of her will all she wanted.

Ankf00
09-21-05, 05:15 PM
I may be a s***** son for saying this, but they're adults, I'm the supposed kid in the family, they can deal with it... I've called enough times and said what I wanted to... hopefully it keeps tracking towards Corpus and no tornados drop down on the med center...

(and I can totally see her being that way...is it age or genes or what??!!)

with my experiences at work I think once you hit 45, most of the switches and routers upstairs just burn out and you're better off being put out to pasture :gomer: :D :p

*ducks from incoming fire*

fourrunner
09-21-05, 05:26 PM

anait
09-21-05, 05:46 PM
I may be a s***** son for saying this, but they're adults, I'm the supposed kid in the family, they can deal with it... I've called enough times and said what I wanted to...

...with my experiences at work I think once you hit 45, most of the switches and routers upstairs just burn out and you're better off being put out to pasture

No, I don't think you're a s***** son. :) You're right, they're all grown up, they can make up their own minds...just so incredibly frustrating for you... :(

(45, eh? Dang. I'd better make the most of my remaining sane years...)

B3RACER1a
09-21-05, 05:56 PM
Latest pressure reading according to the WC is 904mb. Thats really really low. Record is around 890ish.

Racing Truth
09-21-05, 05:57 PM
EDIT: Beat by B3.

Stay safe y'all. :(

Ankf00
09-21-05, 06:00 PM
At least it's not as big as Gilbert and Allen were, those 2 looked like they WERE the gulf...

dando
09-21-05, 06:11 PM
Latest pressure reading according to the WC is 904mb. Thats really really low. Record is around 890ish.
Really low? It's historic. Camile = 909 Andrew = 922. Good thing is that she cannot maintain this more than ~24 hours. Still she's forecasted to reach landfall @ ~125 kts, which is still 140+ mph cat 4. :(

EDIT: From the NHC 5:45 EDT update:

WTNT63 KNHC 212146
TCUAT3
HURRICANE RITA TROPICAL CYCLONE UPDATE
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
545 PM CDT WED SEP 21 2005

...RITA BECOMES THE FIFTH MOST INTENSE HURRICANE ON RECORD...

DROPSONDE DATA FROM AN AIR FORCE RESERVE UNIT RECONNAISSANCE
AIRCRAFT AT 416 PM CDT...2116Z...INDICATED THE CENTRAL PRESSURE HAS
FALLEN TO 904 MB...OR 26.69 INCHES. THIS MAKES RITA THE FIFTH MOST
INTENSE HURRICANE IN TERMS OF PRESSURE IN THE ATLANTIC BASIN.

RITA CURRENTLY RANKS BEHIND HURRICANE GILBERT IN 1988 WITH 888
MB...THE 1935 LABOR DAY HURRICANE WITH 892 MB...HURRICANE ALLEN IN
1980 WITH 899 MB...AND HURRICANE KATRINA LAST MONTH WITH 902 MB.

FORECASTER STEWART

-Kevin

dando
09-21-05, 06:13 PM
At least it's not as big as Gilbert and Allen were, those 2 looked like they WERE the gulf...
Yet.

Dr. Lyons (TWC) mentioned that she has slowed down a bit, so she may turn sooner. God help the folks in Louisiana if that happens. :(

-Kevin

dando
09-21-05, 06:16 PM
I may be a s***** son for saying this, but they're adults, I'm the supposed kid in the family, they can deal with it... I've called enough times and said what I wanted to... hopefully it keeps tracking towards Corpus and no tornados drop down on the med center...

with my experiences at work I think once you hit 45, most of the switches and routers upstairs just burn out and you're better off being put out to pasture :gomer: :D :p

I can still take ya. Come back up here and say that, f00boy. Now I see why you hang out with Jer. :p

-Kevin

anait
09-21-05, 06:34 PM

Ankf00
09-21-05, 06:48 PM
I can still take ya. Come back up here and say that, f00boy. Now I see why you hang out with Jer. :p

-Kevin

Because he still has functional neurons? :gomer: :D

dando
09-21-05, 06:56 PM
Because he still has functional neurons? :gomer: :D
Well that and he's better looking. :gomer: :p

-Kevin