PDA

View Full Version : Paul Tracy LV Sun interview about Briscoe

cameraman
09-16-05, 07:28 PM
Las Vegas Sun Ron Kantowski column (http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/sports/2005/sep/16/519366576.html)

Quite a bit from Paul Tracy in the column.

Catering to the prurient interests of its viewers, ESPN nearly outdid itself this time. It even came up with a graphic to promote the fiery crash in which rookie driver Ryan Briscoe's car was launched into the air and ripped a giant hole in the catch fence, leaving enough debris in its wake to suggest a hurricane had just roared out of turn 4.

Washington's Clinton Portis was picking up three yards on an off-tackle play (or maybe it was Terrell Owens dissing somebody) when the graphic flashed on screen: COMING UP: HORRIFIC INDY CAR CRASH.

pferrf1
09-16-05, 07:54 PM
I love this writer's facetious attitude. He should write on racing more often.

Ed_Severson
09-16-05, 08:51 PM
Agreed. The sad part is, I don't know whether to laugh or cry after reading the column. I will admit to a chuckle here though:

"We were talking about that on the way over," said Las Vegas resident Paul Tracy, who will be making 200-mph left-hand turns at next weekend's Champ Car race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, as we waited for breakfast at Arizona Charlie's at The Lakes on Wednesday. "I guess it's OK, as long as nobody gets killed."

Tracy, who, surprise, doesn't have a death wish, was only being facetious.

Anteater
09-16-05, 08:59 PM
Kantowski wrote a good article! Love PT's comments, too.

racer2c
09-16-05, 11:06 PM
Hmmm, I didn't care for the article from a Champ Car fan perspective. If reading it as a casual fan would, it's pretty black and white; NASCAR safe and popular, open wheel; dangerous and unpopular.

Thumbs up to the guy for writing the truth about ambulance chasing ESPN but he could have made it more clear that not all open wheel cars are back breaking, flying fireballs of highlight reel eggciment.

Kiwifan
09-16-05, 11:19 PM
Great article thanks. Just a pity a few of Pauls previous fellow competitors didn't listen to him a few years back. :shakehead

Would this be the right time to thank Paul and Jimmy again? True professionals methinks. :thumbup:

Rusty.

TravelGal
09-17-05, 12:53 AM
Hmmm, I didn't care for the article from a Champ Car fan perspective. If reading it as a casual fan would, it's pretty black and white; NASCAR safe and popular, open wheel; dangerous and unpopular.

Thumbs up to the guy for writing the truth about ambulance chasing ESPN but he could have made it more clear that not all open wheel cars are back breaking, flying fireballs of highlight reel eggciment.

I dunno. I thought he did a pretty good job of having Tracy explain what happens --over there--. But maybe I get it more because I'm not a casual fan.

mapguy
09-17-05, 06:34 AM
Didn't realise that Bruno's injuries were that bad. 14 inch rod in his back? Doesnt' sound like he's gonna be driving again any time soon.

Thanks AJ da 4th.

cameraman
09-17-05, 03:27 PM
Bruno is aiming to drive at Mexico City, this year.

manic mechanic
09-17-05, 05:10 PM
Bruno is aiming to drive at Mexico City, this year.
..and possibly get some seat time in Seoul.

Just what I heard in San Jose....

manic

Andrew Longman
09-18-05, 11:21 AM
"For the few seconds his car was on fire, Danica Patrick's finishing position didn't matter"

:rofl:

cart7
09-19-05, 09:41 PM

That's been my bitch at Pook and KK for the past few years. They should have been publicly distancing CART/CCWS as far from the irl as possible in case one of these flying into the cheese grater crashes winds up spewing debris into the stands and killing people. They could have done it professionally without casting judgement and in fact, appeared to challenge TG & BB to fix the problem. They haven't and that's what worries me.

If one of those Gawd durn earl cars goes up and through the fencing into the stands ALL open wheel racing is ruined. :mad:

Jervis Tetch 1
09-19-05, 10:50 PM
Kantowski usually writes some pretty good articles on racing for the LV Times.

pferrf1
09-22-05, 11:19 AM
That's been my bitch at Pook and KK for the past few years. They should have been publicly distancing CART/CCWS as far from the irl as possible in case one of these flying into the cheese grater crashes winds up spewing debris into the stands and killing people. They could have done it professionally without casting judgement and in fact, appeared to challenge TG & BB to fix the problem. They haven't and that's what worries me.

If one of those Gawd durn earl cars goes up and through the fencing into the stands ALL open wheel racing is ruined. :mad:

They can try and distance all they want. IT won't work to the 'casul' fan. They'll see F1 cars. Champ Cars, IRL cars, A1Gp cars, GP2 cars and will see some differences in the cars, but have no real idea what they are looking at.

trauma1
09-23-05, 08:07 AM
well this wekend will be interesting with all the armco at watkins, , hope nothing happens