PDA

View Full Version : So what is going on in the IRL engine department

Napoleon
09-15-05, 07:30 PM
It looks like nothing has happened in months. What is rumored to be going on?

RichK
09-15-05, 07:31 PM
:laugh:

Tony's "warming up" the hamsters and Rog is converting Poole to an animal testing facility.

B3RACER1a
09-15-05, 07:41 PM
Who cares....lol.

cart7
09-15-05, 08:04 PM
They're still asessing the fallout from the schedule bombshell.

Give 'em time to crawl out of the bunker. I'm betting the engine deal will be even more uninspiring than this release.

coolhand
09-15-05, 08:25 PM
the IRL Checklist

1. Indy
2. Danicle
3. the 500
4. Ed Carpenter
5. A.j Foyt
6. The Scheduel
7. Condensing
8. The telvision partner
9. Quatrro
10. engines
11. Rodger Penske
12. Honda

i give up trying to figure this out

DagoFast
09-15-05, 08:27 PM
Mr. Pimpski's Ilmor company will build just as many engines as toeknee wants to buy. No problem.

Finding enough teams willing to buy them and to bolt them into a chassis might be a small problem, but hey, the devils in the details. :thumbup:

oddlycalm
09-15-05, 09:24 PM
Give 'em time to crawl out of the bunker. From the smell of that last annoucement they must have plenty of corned beef, sauerkraut, deviled eggs and beer in that bunker...:gomer:

oc

ChampCar#3
09-15-05, 09:50 PM
The IRL doesn't want to distract the fans from the 06 schedule! :rofl:

Cam
09-15-05, 10:09 PM
From the smell of that last annoucement they must have plenty of corned beef, sauerkraut, deviled eggs and beer in that bunker...:gomer:

oc

MMMM...... deviled eggs!!!!

OOPs.... nevermind.... :saywhat:

pchall
09-16-05, 12:23 PM
It looks like nothing has happened in months. What is rumored to be going on?

A 1200 CC air cooled flat four sounds good to me.

KLang
09-16-05, 12:30 PM
http://www.age.uiuc.edu/illinipullers/images/Briggs__Stratton.gif

VS.

http://jddealer.deere.com/DeereFiles/RegionNA/MediumImages/JohnDeereLogo/JohnDeere-Logo-4C-Mvert.jpg

Heck, maybe they can get Toro and Murray involved too. :laugh:

Ankf00
09-16-05, 12:41 PM
midgets eating bean burritos underneath the cowling sitting where the engines used to be

RichK
09-16-05, 12:55 PM

FEAR the 60hp! :eek:

Al Czervik
09-16-05, 01:01 PM
Wouldn't it be funny if Honda announced that their 2007 open wheel racing engine is a 2.65 liter turbo-charged methanol burning V-8? Kinda like Tayoter did a few years back. (not that Toyota anounced a turbo V-8, but that they said they were making one motor, take it or leave it).

Methanolandbrats
09-16-05, 01:16 PM
http://www.griffinfamilytree.com/buttons/ham2.gif

Gnam
09-16-05, 01:53 PM
So what is going on in the IRL engine department?
"[They] ain't [doing] but two things right now: Jack and ****. And Jack just left town."

High Sided
09-16-05, 03:43 PM
update....
irl to run stock block Kia's with corn water for fuel. oh can't wait :gomer:

Napoleon
09-16-05, 05:04 PM

I wonder if I could get a job working on them. I do know a thing or two.

G.
09-23-05, 01:54 PM
Nuttin, hunny.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/19736/

"I'd be hard-pressed to say there will be a significant difference in any area of the engine for 2007," Barnhart stated.

Andrew Longman
09-23-05, 04:05 PM
No changes for 07?

I take that to mean they don't want RP/Ilmore to have to spend one cent in development so they can sell them as cheaply as possible to whatever teams are left.

And no manufacturer money either.

I wonder if TG will have the balls to simply buy 33 Penske Ilmores and lease them to teams (a la Cosworth and CCWS).

Of course that would also mean the IRL events would have to draw well enough (on TV and at the track) to attract sponsors sufficient to pay the bills.

Napoleon
09-23-05, 04:35 PM
I take that to mean they don't want RP/Ilmore to have to spend one cent in development so they can sell them as cheaply as possible to whatever teams are left.

Exactly, or buy at bargain basement prices the design, hardware and such of one of the other manufacturers

cameraman
09-23-05, 04:40 PM
I wonder if TG will have the balls to simply buy 33 Penske Ilmores and lease them to teams (a la Cosworth and CCWS).

They have to race the next weekend in the Glen then the week after that in Texas. Not to mention spare cars. Sounds like they would need many more than just 33. How many Penske Ilmores exist anyway? Isn't either Honda or Cosworth going to have to make a whole bunch of new engines if Toyota takes theirs with them. Plus how many get written off as a result of adventures like Briscoe's?

Steve99
09-23-05, 06:30 PM
Yeah, with the "condensed" schedule they are going to need a lot more than 33 engines. Heck, if they don't condense "the month of May" they will need a lot more just for that.

No way there is currently enough Ilmor blocks in existence, and I hear that the portion of the company that Penske got can't even cast a new block.

spinner26
09-23-05, 07:29 PM
Well it is rumored that Robert Clarke is in Vegas, is that weird? :rofl: :saywhat:

cart7
09-23-05, 08:17 PM
Well, you know how those hurricanes can screw air travel all up. :gomer:

dando
09-23-05, 08:23 PM
Well it is rumored that Robert Clarke is in Vegas, is that weird? :rofl: :saywhat:
No surprise there....he's shown that he likes to gamble. If not, why on Earth would he have moved to the EARL in the 1st place? :D

-Kevin

pchall
09-23-05, 09:06 PM
Yeah, with the "condensed" schedule they are going to need a lot more than 33 engines. Heck, if they don't condense "the month of May" they will need a lot more just for that.

No way there is currently enough Ilmor blocks in existence, and I hear that the portion of the company that Penske got can't even cast a new block.

They'd probably need as big an engine pool as Champ Car has now, and that has been reported as 94 block and heads sets. And the wastage would be a lot higher -- IRL wrecks on the ovals break engines as well as backs.

Steve99
09-23-05, 11:50 PM
Not to mention that they would need to supply 33 teams for the month of May, instead of just 18. They better get 200 blocks.

Insomniac
09-24-05, 08:31 AM

Not a rumor.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/19773/

oddlycalm
09-25-05, 04:28 PM
Not a rumor.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/19773/ That's really funny. I bet there is some serious indigestion happening at EARL central. Their entire economic picture is going seriously out of focus. :D

The gomers that imagine supplying an entire racing series with engines to be a simple matter obviously have no sense of what is involved. Cosworth's Champcar engine operation employs 75 people not to mention the engineering support and manufacturing capability from Cosworth UK. For Penske to do the same thing with the Ex-mor operation he's going to have to shop for another 75 experienced people in addition to the staff that came with the operation as well as enough supplier capacity to float that boat. Not an impossible proposition, but the price he asks will be real high when compared with Honda, Toyoda and Chevyworth showing up with free engines and cash besides. It would also give Penske serious leverage over the idiot-in-Indiana.

oc

Napoleon
09-26-05, 10:05 AM
From Miller's column yesterday on SpeedTV

HONDA PITCHES CHAMP CAR

Honda's Robert Clarke told people he went to Las Vegas to talk with Kevin Kalkhoven about reunification but SPEEDTV.com has learned that his real purpose was to pitch Champ Car on using Honda engines in 2007.

Clarke passed up the first day of practice for the IRL show at Watkins Glen to meet with Kalkhoven and Tony Cotman, director of competition, to see if Champ Car had any interest in switching to normally-aspirated, 3-liter, V-8 engines for 2007.

Honda has already designed a new IRL engine for '07 based on what it believed the new rules would be. However, IRL officials recently announced there would be no changes for 2007 so now Honda has a new engine with no place to run except possibly the Grand Am sports car series.

Clarke lobbied Kalkhoven, who co-owns Champ Car and Cosworth Engineering with Gerald Forsythe, to consider changing from the current 2.65-liter, turbocharged motor to the normally-aspirated, 3-liter, V-8 engine so it could compete with Honda in the 2007 Champ Car season.

"We listened to him (Clarke) and threw out some ideas but our concerns are cost containment and parity," said Cotman. "We've got a good thing going right now because everybody has the same power."

Cosworth, which leases engines to all 18 cars in Champ Car for $750,000 annually, currently competes in the IRL with a powerplant badged as a Chevrolet and that agreement ends following 2005. It's known that Chip Ganassi has approached Kalkhoven about keeping that "Chevworth" engine in the IRL for 2006 but the IRL only permits engines that are connected with manufacturers.

Honda has captured the last two IRL titles and Indianapolis 500s and is looking at being the lone manufacturer for 2007 since General Motors is done after one more race and Toyota has announced it's gone following 2006.

Insomniac
09-26-05, 12:41 PM
From Miller's column yesterday on SpeedTV

HONDA PITCHES CHAMP CAR

Honda's Robert Clarke told people he went to Las Vegas to talk with Kevin Kalkhoven about reunification but SPEEDTV.com has learned that his real purpose was to pitch Champ Car on using Honda engines in 2007.

Clarke passed up the first day of practice for the IRL show at Watkins Glen to meet with Kalkhoven and Tony Cotman, director of competition, to see if Champ Car had any interest in switching to normally-aspirated, 3-liter, V-8 engines for 2007.

Honda has already designed a new IRL engine for '07 based on what it believed the new rules would be. However, IRL officials recently announced there would be no changes for 2007 so now Honda has a new engine with no place to run except possibly the Grand Am sports car series.

Clarke lobbied Kalkhoven, who co-owns Champ Car and Cosworth Engineering with Gerald Forsythe, to consider changing from the current 2.65-liter, turbocharged motor to the normally-aspirated, 3-liter, V-8 engine so it could compete with Honda in the 2007 Champ Car season.

"We listened to him (Clarke) and threw out some ideas but our concerns are cost containment and parity," said Cotman. "We've got a good thing going right now because everybody has the same power."

Cosworth, which leases engines to all 18 cars in Champ Car for $750,000 annually, currently competes in the IRL with a powerplant badged as a Chevrolet and that agreement ends following 2005. It's known that Chip Ganassi has approached Kalkhoven about keeping that "Chevworth" engine in the IRL for 2006 but the IRL only permits engines that are connected with manufacturers.

Honda has captured the last two IRL titles and Indianapolis 500s and is looking at being the lone manufacturer for 2007 since General Motors is done after one more race and Toyota has announced it's gone following 2006.

I hope they told them to dust off their Turbo if they ever want back in to CCWS.

Sean O'Gorman
09-26-05, 12:56 PM
I hope they told them to dust off their Turbo if they ever want back in to CCWS.

No thanks. The series doesn't need un-raceable 900 hp traction controlled engines again. I think the races in '01-02 were the most boring on record, with the exception of Road America.

pchall
09-26-05, 12:59 PM
No thanks. The series doesn't need un-raceable 900 hp traction controlled engines again. I think the races in '01-02 were the most boring on record, with the exception of Road America.

I would assume that Kalkhoven would want HPD to produce a tightly controlled version similar to what is in the pool of Cosworths these days using the same electronics.

RichK
09-26-05, 01:00 PM
Let Honda badge the Atlantic engines and pay for bringing up some youngstas to the big leagues. Maybe title sponsor some races.

DjDrOmusic
09-26-05, 02:22 PM
....cue the MG and John Judd soundbyte please!! :gomer: ;) :D

Insomniac
09-26-05, 08:57 PM
I would assume that Kalkhoven would want HPD to produce a tightly controlled version similar to what is in the pool of Cosworths these days using the same electronics.

Yeah, definitely a tightly controlled spec. CC hands out the electronics. Keeps the engines in check, costs down. Then the next time they do a new spec (2010?) if the climate allows it, get them competing.

cart7
09-26-05, 10:00 PM
....cue the MG and John Judd soundbyte please!! :gomer: ;) :D

Better make it quick, the clock is ticking and Honda's gettin fidgety sittin on the fence. Or do you think JJ would get snookered again and have already built an engine for the irl without anyone asking. :gomer:

Jervis Tetch 1
09-26-05, 10:12 PM
"So what's going on in the IRL engine department?"

So far a big, fat nothing.

dando
09-26-05, 11:30 PM
Check out the audio roundtable from Vega$:

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=9696

Basically Clarke's visit is a mystery other than the fact HPD needs to find somewhere to race to justify their existance. :laugh:

-Kevin

formulaben
09-28-05, 03:10 PM
The whole thing stinks! They made their bed and now they must lie in it. Politely show him the door and tell him maybe in 2010...