PDA

View Full Version : Champ Car Hurricane Relief 400

KLang
09-15-05, 11:56 AM
This is pretty cool.

The September 23-24 Bridgestone Presents The Champ Car World Series Powered by Ford event at the 1.5-mile LVMS superspeedway will be known as the Champ Car Hurricane Relief 400, with Champ Car proceeds from the race going to the Red Cross Hurricane Relief Fund. Champ Car presenting sponsors Bridgestone and Ford are contributing to the relief effort in a number of ways over the race weekend, with Bridgestone also donating monies that include a portion of the event's Bridgestone Pole Award to the fund.

link (http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=9657)

trish
09-15-05, 05:08 PM
Everyone going could bring a can of food, if they have somewhere there to collect it.

RusH
09-15-05, 11:15 PM
I don`t think that`s what the relief agencies want Trish. They are looking for CASH.
But it seems like just attending the event will do much good for the victims, seeing that the money would go help in the recovery from the disaster. :thumbup:

JohnHKart
09-16-05, 06:45 AM
They definitely only want money. There was a recent article about people sending clothes, canned food and water and the relief agencies have tons of/too much of that stuff. It's harder for the agencies to deal with and ship to these areas this kind of stuff....Easier for the them to just get money, then they can purchase exactly what they need in those areas.

John

TKGAngel
09-16-05, 08:54 AM
They definitely only want money. There was a recent article about people sending clothes, canned food and water and the relief agencies have tons of/too much of that stuff. It's harder for the agencies to deal with and ship to these areas this kind of stuff....Easier for the them to just get money, then they can purchase exactly what they need in those areas.

John

I agree with you. However, one of our radio stations did a drive for donations, including cash/food/water/other supplies, and when the trucks of stuff arrived at some of the shelters, they had been told that they were the first supplies that these shelters had seen.

Back to topic, this is an amazing idea from champcar. Wonder if the Craftsman Truck Series would be doing something similar for that weeekend.

RichK
09-16-05, 12:17 PM
they had been told that they were the first supplies that these shelters had seen.

That's right. We didn't give any money for Katrina. A local family (I believe they own/operate an equipment rental company) took donations of food/clothing/baby stuff/toiletries from the surrounding Bay Area. They are receiving direct requests from the affected areas in the South, and they need real things like diapers & soap & clothes, not money.

It's great that Champcar is doing this, too.

TravelGal
09-16-05, 05:04 PM
I agree that it's great that ChampCar is doing this. Everything helps!

But I am taking RichK's approach. Several of my travel organizations have members in the affected areas. We're sending stuff directly to them. Whatever we send is appreciated. If they can't use it, the person next to them can and so on. I'm sure nearly everyone one of us is part of some sort of national organization that is doing the same thing in some way. I'm getting OT but I can't help saying that if you've been meaning to clean out those closets, do it, and find a place that will take your donations. They are out there.