PDA

View Full Version : Marlboro past 2006?

FRANKY
09-14-05, 01:41 AM
However... The Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC) which is being promoted by the World Health Organization (WHO), part of the UN - has been in the business of signing up most of the world to adhere to this agreement. Part of this agreement lead to the EU banning F1 from the TV screens across Europe AND ELSEWHERE after 2006 if F1 STILL had tobacco on billboards or race cars. This also applies to still images in magazines and newspapers.

In effect: Any race shown on European TV from the USA AFTER 2006 that still had Tobacco products shown could have the program cutoff and or a large fine applied. Unless TV producers wish to go to great lengths dubbing out Tobacco images on a tape delay - it in effect stamps out offshore sales of US based race series with Tobacco still on the cars or track signage - such as the INDY 500.

Philip Morris has tried to highjack the US position on FCTC - but it is a matter of time before the amount of money they pay into the racing industry is outweighed by WHO sanctions against the US and all the other non-tobacco racing sponsors asking them to leave the sport.

Tobacco is gone Dec 06 and it is not coming back. Period. Double period.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Replying to an old thread (LAST APRIL) about Tobacco and racing.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Robin Miller say Marlboro is staying. (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/19578/)

"YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST
Roger Penske has found a way to keep Marlboro past 2006."

NismoZ
09-14-05, 09:31 AM
Kinda why many criminals ply their trade? The rewards of doing business outweigh the risk of sanctions? Go ahead, FINE us! We'll pay! :) The Marlboro Indy 500, Presented by Team Penske!, Powered by Lung Cancer!

Andrew Longman
09-14-05, 09:54 AM
Kinda why many criminals ply their trade? The rewards of doing business outweigh the risk of sanctions? Go ahead, FINE us! We'll pay! :) The Marlboro Indy 500, Presented by Team Penske!, Powered by Lung Cancer!

I could also read that to mean that the I500 is so irrelevant outside the US that they won't bother to export the broadcast. Makes no difference if Marlboro is on the sidepod.

Or, if I'm going to be really cynical, perhaps they will claim that the new "Marlboro Team Penske" logo on the sidepod is either illegible on TV or not the same as the Marlboro logo.

I've always thought there was something "up" with that logo in regard to tobacco legislation. They adopted it after Penske was told he could not run with Marlboro at the 500 a few years back because he was also running CART.

pchall
09-14-05, 10:17 AM
What happens if Marlboro Team Penske goes to a red-white-blue livery and puts Marlboro Team 9/11 on the sidepods?

FRANKY
09-14-05, 11:42 AM

What sanctions?

Previous discussions showed that they could still advertize.

Jervis Tetch 1
09-15-05, 12:05 AM
I think the way Roger found is to charge them half of what they are paying now.