PDA

View Full Version : League Enemies List Growing

NismoZ
09-14-05, 11:12 PM
Toyota is angry that the new schedule abandons the So. Cal. market. Unger is PO'ed. (sounds like a good excuse to bail early) Honda shouldn't like the Western bailout, either. (Unger even said so.) Now Big Eddie in Texas is pissed because HE doesn't have "The Race After Indy." That goes to the nation's 173rd largest market, Corning/Elmira! Sickening how the League is promoting their historic "connection" to the F-1 past at the Glen with those (actually very well done) commercials. :rolleyes:

coolhand
09-15-05, 01:58 AM
Who has the IRL not pissed off the past 10 years.

they have exausted all resources in the racing community in the US. they have even made inroads into canada pissing off Quebec city.

trauma1
09-15-05, 08:08 AM
FTG never ceases to amaze, he pissed off yoda, gossage, fontana and most likely honda all in one day, toyota is gone and will leave honda holding the bag next year

Zucker wasn't the only one unhappy with the decision. So was Les Unger, Toyota's national motorsports manager.

"Speaking selfishly, for Southern California, California Speedway and the Toyota Indy 400 in particular, I'm quite disappointed that between the Indy Racing League and ISC they couldn't arrive at satisfactory dates in the second-largest media market in the U. S. to continue having the race," Unger said by telephone. "I do not know why that particular date wound up not working on behalf of California Speedway."

Unger also said of the IRL's decision to abandon the Los Angeles market that "it would not be in everybody's best interest for that to occur, given the fact that the only two engine suppliers for next year (Toyota and Honda) have their headquarters here in Southern California, in the South Bay. For sure, we're not pleased about it, and I can't imagine Honda is too pleased."

rabbit
09-15-05, 08:56 AM
Rome is burning. :D

fourrunner
09-15-05, 09:08 AM
Unger has been poopooing the idea that Toyota is A) leaving early & B) leaving at all despite the rumors & Official announcement they are leaving after 2006 ( Because they had to contractually withdraw even though they might not )

1) is this his "cover" for now switching his attititude, and opening the door for a "Early" leave, meaning NO Toyota for 2006

OR

2) is the IRL now building a situation where they give themselves a "Cover" for ceasing operations because of "Outside Pressures", and NOT because the "Vision" just completely failed !

None of whats happening makes sense for a "Growing" Series, especially there willingness to be a Support Race to NASCAR at California... AND there "Sharing Billing" with Busch at Montreal !

There is a lot of scrambling and "spin" so far !!

Skater_36
09-15-05, 10:16 AM
I think a lot of promises were made (Long Beach comes to mind) and the IRL was unable to deliver.

No engine specs released, a shrinking schedule, teams losing sponsors (Red Bull) and now the leagues engine partners are making public statements about their displeasure with the IRL's inability to retain markets.

I get the sense that there is a lot of scrambling going on in the IRL.

G.
09-15-05, 10:56 AM
dammit Bosses! Get us an "eating popcorn" smiley!

:laugh:

cart7
09-15-05, 11:18 AM
The league definitely needs direction and leadership. Isn't Michael Brown available now? :rofl:

trauma1
09-15-05, 11:52 AM
they can spout about how they are going to get montreal in 07, no way in hell, no engines loss of teams and sponsors and most importantly no more yen, no sane promoter is going to take them on over cc in 07

IlliniRacer
09-15-05, 11:54 AM
I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this:

For the first time since it's start, the IRL has now taken control of their schedule, picking and dropping venues based on what they feel is best for the league. This is a first, for we're no longer simply going to race at a track because they will have us. This is a milestone in the league's history. Some of you see is as stupidity. But in reality, the IRL can now build around successful venues and form it's schedule to meet it's terms and effectively grow the sport...

This is something many of you are not understanding.

http://www.trackforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65706

There's reality and then there's IRL Fan reality.

KLang
09-15-05, 12:00 PM

Saw that too. :rofl: At least someone over there commented that they need another shot of koolaid.

How about the posts by the doc saying it's all the fans fault. :laugh:

Steve99
09-15-05, 12:25 PM

Sounds like a new batch of kool-aid showed up for some of them.

Doc Austin: "I wish we only had 12 races."

TKGAngel
09-15-05, 12:31 PM

Isn't it good to race at a track where they want to have you race? I mean, I would think that this would be a good thing, not necessarily an argument for a smaller schedule? :confused:

The Cali Speedway guy is awesome for calling the IRL on their nonsense.

G.
09-15-05, 12:46 PM
Isn't it good to race at a track where they want to have you race? No, no, no. It's good to race where FTG tells them to race. See, FTG is in control of their schedule now. They no longer have to race at a track just because the venue will have them.

This is something that you are not understanding. :gomer: ;)

spinner26
09-15-05, 01:49 PM
Is there any truth to the rumor that yoda is going to buy out their contract with Pimpski and Fatassi?

RacinM3
09-15-05, 02:13 PM
From that TF thread

I really do trust and believe that all of the powers that be have a very specific long-range plan and they know exactly what they are doing.

Man, whoever started calling them lemmings.....genius, absolute genius. :thumbup:

RichK
09-15-05, 02:16 PM
Is there any truth to the rumor that yoda is going to buy out their contract with Pimpski and Fatassi?

Should be interesting for Chip. As DaveL pointed out last month, Honda HATES Ganassi. If Honda is the only engine left next year... :laugh:

devilmaster
09-15-05, 02:32 PM
dammit Bosses! Get us an "eating popcorn" smiley!

:laugh:

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/cwm/3dlil/lurk.gif

There is a website called www.mysmilies.com Thousands of smilies there. You click on the one you want, then at the top it gives the smiley's web addy, already fitted with the IMG tags. you just copy and paste....

cameraman
09-15-05, 03:59 PM

There is a website called www.mysmilies.com Thousands of smilies there. You click on the one you want, then at the top it gives the smiley's web addy, already fitted with the IMG tags. you just copy and paste....

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/funny/bluegrab.gif

Cool, I always wondered where everybody got these things...

oddlycalm
09-15-05, 04:31 PM
From the Scrips-Howard article:

while listening to Barnhart and Ungar try to convince everyone less is more, it became clear that all the IRL wants is a return to its bucolic Midwestern roots and big-fish-in-a-little-pond status.

This guy is the only writer, including the all the motorsport journalists, that really gets what this is about. What he doesn't get however is that the competition they are afraid of isn't from other sporting events. The 2nd coming of the USAC Trail has been TG's real goal from day 1 and the competition that TG is worried about is any event that threatens to overshadow the i500.

oc

Gangrel
09-15-05, 05:03 PM
All the talk of IRL enemies, and no one brings up the Foundation for Spinal Injury Prevention, Care and Cure?

:D

NismoZ
09-16-05, 01:11 PM
Add Quebec City to the list. After KK had his legal team slap their hands at Montreal the League walked away from Quebec without even saying goodbye. They feel so, so...USED! Looks like bridges aren't just being burned, they're being blown up!

Jervis Tetch 1
09-16-05, 05:13 PM
Too funny.

NismoZ
09-16-05, 06:15 PM
Yeah, except I think they'll try again for '07. Maybe there won't BE any bridges left for them to use, then!

extramundane
09-16-05, 06:34 PM
Yeah, except I think they'll try again for '07. Maybe there won't BE any bridges left for them to use, then!

Who needs bridges when your cars fly so easily?

Ankf00
09-16-05, 07:16 PM

steve's title should be "premier canuckistani"...
or sumpin'....

the bright side of the league concentrating their races in such a small geographic area is that the gomers can be well contained. just set up border patrol outposts around the midwest and don't let them out :D

Napoleon
09-16-05, 07:29 PM
Who needs bridges when your cars fly so easily?

:rofl:

Anteater
09-16-05, 09:34 PM

Well, I laughed. Not only is this person hopelessly naive; he also misused "it's" 3 times in the post. :p

Methanolandbrats
09-16-05, 10:08 PM
Not much chance of anybody in that thread pegging the meter in an IQ test. :laugh: What a bunch of tools.

manic mechanic
09-16-05, 11:29 PM
Isn't it good to race at a track where they want to have you race? I mean, I would think that this would be a good thing, not necessarily an argument for a smaller schedule? :confused:

The Cali Speedway guy is awesome for calling the IRL on their nonsense.
BTW, that "Cal Speedway guy" is a "she".

Give us a few months to work on her, and she'll be "one of us"...

(cue the music from "Invasion of the Body snatchers", please...)

:rofl: :rofl:

manic

racer2c
09-16-05, 11:32 PM
Example of how it works.
I mow some lawns for side job money.

Because your wife's welfare check buys the food, all you need is beer money.

May 2005 5 lawns x $50 =$250 weekly, 3 are within 5 miles of my home 2 are 15 miles away.

So none of your neighbors trust your drunk ass to mow their lawns. You have to get your cousin to put air in the Bronco II's tires to drive you to your 'job'.

Sept 2005 I drop the 2 on the other side of town because after my expenses and time I am losing money.

So in four months you mowed five lawns. That's about what I expected. The two you 'dropped' are really because you couldn't remember how to get back to them.

And people think BiF is fake. Tsk, tsk.

oddlycalm
09-17-05, 04:41 PM
The two you 'dropped' are really because you couldn't remember how to get back to them.

And people think BiF is fake. Tsk, tsk. :D That lawn mowing post was an instant classic. :gomer:

oc

TKGAngel
09-17-05, 06:59 PM
BTW, that "Cal Speedway guy" is a "she".

Give us a few months to work on her, and she'll be "one of us"...

(cue the music from "Invasion of the Body snatchers", please...)

:rofl: :rofl:

manic

Whoops! My bad! She...he...either way, she helped in IRL schedule screw-up.

EDwardo
09-18-05, 01:48 AM
That vision thing just gets more amazing all the time.

I can sort of understand though. Back in College (before the youngsters here were born) I got some bad acid. I had some pretty whacked visions that weekend. Tony must have ate some bad acid too. Unlike Tony, I didn't write it all down and call it a plan to save Indy. and I didn't stumble into a large family fortune either.

devilmaster
09-18-05, 03:02 AM
and I didn't stumble into a large family fortune either.

Funny thing is, you'd think with all that money, FTG would have got good acid. :shakehead

stroker
09-18-05, 11:42 AM
But I thought Fontana had 80,000 card-carrying IRListas last year?

manic mechanic
09-18-05, 02:30 PM
But I thought Fontana had 80,000 card-carrying IRListas last year?

80,000? Did you get kool-aid in your ears when you heard that? :laugh:

Under 40,000 was the "official" tally, and 30,000 freebies were given out by Marlboro and Toyota.

Paying attendance was akin to the Phoenix numbers from earlier this year.

CART did better than that with no promotional help, but that's not news to anyone!

manic