PDA

View Full Version : could cali be back in play?

CART T. Katz
09-14-05, 11:30 AM
"They offered April 9, the same date as the Long Beach Grand Prix," (Gillian) Zucker (president of the California Speedway) said. "That was not an option, not as stewards of motorsports or good neighbors."

linky (http://www2.sbsun.com/sports/ci_3026682)

Next season will be California Speedway's first without open-wheel racing of any kind. Champ Car, then known as CART, raced there from the track's opening in 1997 through 2002 and, for a time, drew crowds of 80,000 or more.

That association ended badly, however, when CART's 2003 season finale was canceled because of wildfires in the area. CART was in its death throes and wanted to run the race to keep up appearances but Bill Miller, then-president of the speedway, said no.

...Asked if there had been talks between California Speedway and Champ Car, Zucker said there had not been.

"At this point, no, but we're open to talking to anyone interested in using our facility," she said. "I'm convinced there is an audience for open-wheel racing in Southern California."

from the la times (http://www.latimes.com/sports/motorracing/la-sp-fontana14sep14,1,6668917.story?coll=la-headlines-sports)

that says to me that a california option may still be available for the future. kalkhoven wants to find a way to end the series in the states, the fans want a 500 miler, i say it makes all the sense in the world for the 2006 or 2007 schedule to end with the 500 again.

TravelGal
09-14-05, 12:35 PM
Personally, I think any GOOD venue is in play right now. There's a load of manure in both these articles but what stands out to me is that Zucker is new and seems to have the best interests of racing at heart. That makes him on the same page as the amigos. I have hope for a second "home race" here in SoCal.

racer2c
09-14-05, 12:38 PM
I'd like a 500 back on the schedule but we'll see how ISC politics comes into play.

GOFAST1
09-14-05, 07:42 PM
I don't trust anything that is connected with nascar and co. Champcar should stay long distance from them bastards.We are doing fine and making progress every day.They want it they got it now they have to eat it.There will come a day when this two face promoters are going to beg for Champcar to race there track because irl is ten minutes from midnight, and watching what amigos did in one year I say that day will come sooner than they think.

indyfan31
09-14-05, 07:52 PM
I'd have to agree, it'd be great to have the 500 back but not until ISC calls CC and says they'll pay the fee.

pchall
09-14-05, 08:06 PM
Quote:
"They offered April 9, the same date as the Long Beach Grand Prix," (Gillian) Zucker (president of the California Speedway) said. "That was not an option, not as stewards of motorsports or good neighbors."

OMFG! Tony has to be down at the Osco lot on Michigan tonight...

CARTNUT
09-14-05, 08:14 PM
FISC!!! :flame: Bastiges.

I say we build our own 500 mile oval "STREET PARTY" smack dab in the middle of downtown Fontucky! That'll show 'em!

'NUT :gomer:

Jervis Tetch 1
09-15-05, 12:03 AM
I would love to see Fontana back on the schedule. I'd be there of course. If we get a 500-mile race again, that would be excellent for the series IMO.

devilmaster
09-15-05, 12:05 AM
Quote:

OMFG! Tony has to be down at the Osco lot on Michigan tonight...

And its why the IRL can never be good and grow. Tony's more interested in killing Champcar than worrying about building his own series....

Obsess much, ****tard?

mueber
09-15-05, 08:51 AM
I would love to see Fontana back on the schedule. I'd be there of course. If we get a 500-mile race again, that would be excellent for the series IMO.

I think it would be a good thing to do business with ISC, provided the events are successful. It would give us a little clout with them. However, it would be a high-risk stategy. If casual fans don't show up there for the Gomer League, why would they will show up for us?

jonovision_man
09-15-05, 08:56 AM
I think it would be a good thing to do business with ISC, provided the events are successful. It would give us a little clout with them. However, it would be a high-risk stategy. If casual fans don't show up there for the Gomer League, why would they will show up for us?

They wouldn't. Sad but true, and thus the KK bring-the-race-to-the-fans strategy.

Unless... maybe they could run it after the IRL season ends and get some of the Ganassi's or Penske's of the world to show up for it? Like them or not, that'd be a compelling story that would get people interested on both "sides"...

jono

racer2c
09-15-05, 09:00 AM
And its why the IRL can never be good and grow. Tony's more interested in killing Champcar than worrying about building his own series....

Obsess much, ****tard?

Tony never ceases to amaze with his idiocy. He couldn't get anyone to see his series on a date without Champ Cars at Long Beach, but he thinks changing the date to April 9, the same day as Champ Cars at Long Beach will pack 'em in. What a 'tard.

Anteater
09-16-05, 09:06 PM
kalkhoven wants to find a way to end the series in the states, the fans want a 500 miler, i say it makes all the sense in the world for the 2006 or 2007 schedule to end with the 500 again.

I'm all for it. KK, are you listening?

Jervis Tetch 1
09-19-05, 10:54 PM
I think it would be a good thing to do business with ISC, provided the events are successful. It would give us a little clout with them. However, it would be a high-risk stategy. If casual fans don't show up there for the Gomer League, why would they will show up for us?Well you have a point, however I have been at races in Fontana that had very nice crowds, 1997, 1998 and 1999.

Unfortunately, and feel free to say I'm wrong, but I honestly believe what happened to Greg there helped hurt a lot of future ticket sales. I know of one friend who was there that was turned off by racing more or less for good because of it.

If it could just be marketed and sold PR-wise. Anyone listening?

RTKar
09-19-05, 11:03 PM

Obsess much, ****tard?

Kind of ironic isn't it Steve? CART worried too much about the 500 and tg worried too much about CC.

cameraman
09-20-05, 01:37 AM
Unfortunately, and feel free to say I'm wrong, but I honestly believe what happened to Greg there helped hurt a lot of future ticket sales. I know of one friend who was there that was turned off by racing more or less for good because of it.?

Your friend is a rare individual. Hate to say it but 99% of the US population knows nothing about Greg Moore.

JoeBob
09-20-05, 02:17 PM
Have you ever been at the track when a driver is killed? Especially a popular one?

I know that I did a lot of thinking after Toronto in 1996. I'll never forget the silence in the grandstands.

I would not be surprised if a lot of folks who were in the stands at Fontana in 1999 decided not to return.

jonovision_man
09-20-05, 02:30 PM
Have you ever been at the track when a driver is killed? Especially a popular one?

I know that I did a lot of thinking after Toronto in 1996. I'll never forget the silence in the grandstands.

I would not be surprised if a lot of folks who were in the stands at Fontana in 1999 decided not to return.

Thankfully I can only imagine... moved to Toronto in '98.

But many people did return to Toronto, and have kept coming. Not sure if there was even a slight downward blip in attendance.

jono

Sean O'Gorman
09-20-05, 03:19 PM
One of my friends since grade school stopped following CART after that race because he was a big Moore fan.

rabbit
09-20-05, 03:33 PM
I'll echo the Greg Moore sentiments. My wife didn't watch a race from Fontana '99 until Cleveland '03. It took Sebastien, who a lot of people have compared to Moore, to get her to come back.

JoeBob
09-20-05, 03:35 PM
But many people did return to Toronto, and have kept coming. Not sure if there was even a slight downward blip in attendance.

The difference, sadly, was that few fans had a chance to get to know Jeff Krosnoff. Greg Moore was one of the most popular, and most well known, drivers in the series.

jonovision_man
09-20-05, 03:46 PM
The difference, sadly, was that few fans had a chance to get to know Jeff Krosnoff. Greg Moore was one of the most popular, and most well known, drivers in the series.

Probably true. I wasn't at the track, but it was a tough day, and it can definately make you re-think whether it's worth it for the sake of entertainment. I convince myself they accept that risk and keep watching, of course, but for a casual fan it might not be so easy.

jono

ChampCar#3
09-20-05, 04:21 PM

I know what you're saying, I had a rough time back in 81 when Gilles passed away. I couldn't follow racing for about 5 years. I was in Toronto in 96 and Michigan in 98 (we sitting in the fateful section but moved to a cpl sections over for more leg room). All these deaths very definately affects attendence. I don't think Michigan OW fans have really recovered from the deaths. The attendence was decline in 98 but the accident just accelerated it.!

JohnHKart
09-21-05, 04:29 PM

Not an auto race but exactly one week after Gonzalo Rodriquez was killed I was at Reno when there was a fatal accident. I had seen Gary Levitz twice that day, and also standing by his airplane just before he took off. It's the worst feeling in the world and you feel like somebody's standing on your chest. Not something I want to go through again, although I'm now going to Reno every year.

John