PDA

View Full Version : Another oval gone?

nrc
09-13-05, 08:13 AM
Fontana will be dropped from the IRL schedule along with Phoenix. Another street race will help fill the void. Perserving open wheel oval racing, indeed. :shakehead

http://www2.presstelegram.com/sports/ci_3024405

chop456
09-13-05, 08:18 AM
I don't see how Michigan can survive, either.

Tony fixed it real good, he did.

RTKar
09-13-05, 08:26 AM
What with flying cars, it's probably a sound move. It'll save lives.

Chitowncartfreak
09-13-05, 09:21 AM
According to the Indy Star, Pikes Peak may be gone as well.

Ah, can't you just feel the growth? :D

KLang
09-13-05, 10:12 AM
Borrowed from an unhappy earl fan elsewhere: 'another one bites the dust'. :laugh:

WTG FTG :rolleyes:

Methanolandbrats
09-13-05, 10:51 AM
Open wheel racing is a hopeless cause. Ovals gone in both series. Natural Terrain Road Courses all but gone. Both series booking street races. A couple more years and there will be two series. One will be s***** street races and the other will be shittier street races. Fantastic.

pchall
09-13-05, 11:05 AM
Open wheel racing is a hopeless cause. Ovals gone in both series. Natural Terrain Road Courses all but gone. Both series booking street races. A couple more years and there will be two series. One will be s***** street races and the other will be shittier street races. Fantastic.

I've been enjoying "s*****" street races ever since my uncle took me to a GP at Montjuich Park.

As early as 1906 there were a bunch of purist frogs who resented the idea that a race should be on a closed circuit where fans could watch the whole event.

I have no problem with taking racing to places where people will actually pay to see it.

Dr. Corkski
09-13-05, 12:07 PM
I have no problem with taking racing to places where people will actually pay to see it.Yeah, because people watch racing on TV to count exactly how many people are in the stands, since that's obviously the most entertaining part of racing. :gomer:

NismoZ
09-13-05, 12:09 PM
IF close attention is paid to layout. Many may have considered San Jose a success. I didn't. I hope it's tweaked next year so we can make a lot of money AND see good racing. Edmonton? Fine. Long Beach, Surfers...there IS a way to make street racing good AND profitable, I just hope CC doesn't give TOO much in a tradeoff for $$.

cart7
09-13-05, 12:28 PM
3 ovals out. Pikes Peak gone.

3/26 Homestead (ABC)
4/2 St. Pete (ESPN)
4/22 Motegi (ESPN)
5/28 Indy (ABC)
6/4 Watkins Glen (ABC)
6/10 Texas (ESPN)
6/24 Richmond (ESPN)
7/2 Kansas (ABC)
7/15 Nashville (ESPN)
7/23 Milwaukee (ESPN)
7/30 Michigan (ABC)
8/13 Kentucky (ABC)
8/27 Infineon (ESPN)
9/10 Chicagoland (ABC)

Visions, growth, evolution and all that stuff. :gomer:

KLang
09-13-05, 12:30 PM
14 races? They seem to be going backwards. Can't wait to read how this is a good thing and a sign of 'growth' for the earl. :rofl:

JoeBob
09-13-05, 12:33 PM
Here's the headline: http://www.indycar.com/news/story.php?story_id=5437

Shorter IndyCar Series 2006 schedule still long on scintillating action

The rumor is that many IRL teams are talking layoffs, or entering other series. With no off season testing, and a season that lasts less than six months, there really isn't a reason to keep mechanics employed all year.

nrc
09-13-05, 12:36 PM
Yeah, yeah, oh let me taste your tears Lemmings. Mmmm, your tears are so yummy and sweet. :p

RichK
09-13-05, 12:52 PM
nrc: :laugh:

Lots of "condensation" on the IRL's parade today.

cart7
09-13-05, 12:55 PM
http://home.woh.rr.com/apgminime/bagdad_bob_large.jpg

Shorter IndyCar Series 2006 schedule still long on scintillating action

Ozarkian
09-13-05, 12:58 PM
Interesting use of the adjective, "compacted," throughout that article.

From where I come from, that usually means something else entirely ...

KLang
09-13-05, 01:04 PM
Meltdown of epic proportions starting at earlville. :laugh: Gotta go find me some popcorn.

DagoFast
09-13-05, 01:12 PM
Once they wear out their welcome/the contract expires at Sears Point, they are out of the west entirely. Good riddance I say....

My condolences to those of you still afflicted with the plague.

Hopefully by '08, their engines will be back in front, the only race that will be on their schedule will be the only one they really care about and the rest of the world will be .0rl free.

Wally
09-13-05, 01:21 PM
Ahh and such a beautiful day too.......... :gomer:

Steve99
09-13-05, 01:56 PM
So they are upholding the great American traditions of oval racing and the Indy 500 by going to Watkins Glen the week after the 497.5??? :rofl: :rofl:

Rob
09-13-05, 02:26 PM
Once they wear out their welcome/the contract expires at Sears Point, they are out of the west entirely. Good riddance I say....
Hey now, IRL fans along the Pacific will still be able to watch Danica and the boys on an oval near them! Well, at least the ones on the other side of the Pacific. :rofl:

Easy
09-13-05, 02:54 PM

My condolences to those of you still afflicted with the plague.

Hopefully by '08, their engines will be back in front, the only race that will be on their schedule will be the only one they really care about and the rest of the world will be .0rl free.

You mean the NASCAR Sprint Cup Indy 500 presented by Allstate?

Wabbit
09-13-05, 03:16 PM
They at least only have one 3-week gap in their schedule between St. Pete and Motegi (assuming Indy is a month long). If OWRS got rid of the month long gaps in our schedule, it would only take us 6 months to run a schedule too.

oddlycalm
09-13-05, 04:07 PM
With the big Japanese money gone that series will be looking more and more like the USAC Trail of old with a half dozen semi-viable races along with the 500. At that point they will have effectively come full circle to arrive back at the pre-CART era, minus the name drivers of course.

CART in it's heyday legitimized US racing worldwide, but those days are now long gone and US professional formula car racing has retured to stagnation.

oc

RTKar
09-13-05, 07:00 PM
All they need to do now is go public...

skaven
09-13-05, 07:00 PM
Finally... that shite is out of my state. I'll no longer have second-hand friends offering me third-rate free tickets to Pikes Peak.

Glad to see they are declining. Hahahaha loser scum. :p

Rocketdoc
09-13-05, 08:36 PM
"All they need to do now is go public..."

Excellent.

racer2c
09-13-05, 10:10 PM
"Sometimes you have to take a step back in order to take a step forward," said IRL president and COO Brian Barnhart, noting that more events could be added in the near future. "The positives far outweigh the negatives of losing one or two races."

:rofl:

dando
09-13-05, 10:30 PM
:gomer: <=== :laugh:

-Kevin

manic mechanic
09-14-05, 01:24 AM
Can I use the slogan of one of our sopnsors?? PLEEEEASSSEEEE...

"I'm LOVIN' It!"... :laugh:

manic

oddlycalm
09-14-05, 02:16 PM
KEN UNGAR:The 2006 schedule will run approximately eight fewer weeks than has been run in past years....Our broadcast partners, ABC and ESPN, were the catalyst in moving in this direction, and the prime mover in helping us get there. I'm nominating this for understatement of the year.... :D

Edit - had to add this for a bit of perspective.

Fontana Speedway President Gillian Zucker: "I just threw my hands up.... I don't see how losing the country's second-biggest market helps their TV partners." :rofl:

skaven
09-14-05, 09:52 PM
PPIR President Rob Johnson -

"We didn't like the August date when we first got it," Johnson said. "We gave it a try; we couldn't make it work. It's a sound business decision (to not host an event). It makes good business sense for us."

Sounds like they lose less money by not having the .1RL come to town. :laugh:

He also said it is difficult to compete against the Grand Prix of Denver. :thumbup:

Denver Post Article (http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_3026784)

Steve99
09-15-05, 11:59 AM
Denver Post Article (http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_3026784)
The list of .1RL excuses is growing so fast they can't keep track: "PPIR wouldn't install the SAFER barrier. No wait, we didn't know who the owners would be." Meanwhile, PPIR says no thanks. :thumbup:

G.
09-15-05, 01:04 PM
Commentary, swiped from gomerville.

http://www.shns.com/shns/g_index2.cfm?action=detail&pk=CAR-IRL-09-15-05

On Tuesday, while listening as Indy Racing League officials unveiled the 2006 schedule, I kept waiting for them to announce a name change.

It didn't happen, but it really didn't matter. It's clear now that IRL stands for Irrelevant Racing League, and no longer should be regarded as a major racing series, even if it does include the Indianapolis 500.

But at least one positive came out of this.

After 10 years of searching for an identity, it's now clear what the IRL is: small time.