PDA

View Full Version : Briscoe Injury Report v3.0

rabbit
09-12-05, 11:51 PM
v1.0 - Chip Ganassi: "He’s a little dazed and confused, but he’s OK.”

v2.0 - Jeff Olson: "Briscoe spent Sunday night at Christ Hospital in Oaklawn, Ill., where he was being treated for a concussion, bruised lung and broken right and left clavicles. Initially it was believed that he didn't break any bones, but subsequent X-rays revealed the two broken collarbones."

v3.0 - Olson: "Target Chip Ganassi Racing officials said Briscoe sustained a concussion, two broken collarbones, a bruised lung and contusions to his legs and arms. Briscoe will undergo more extensive examinations and may remain at Methodist under observation for the next few days as a precaution."

Sources:
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/19530/
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/19555/

Stay tuned... :shakehead

devilmaster
09-13-05, 12:08 AM
well hell....

There was a report that a parachutist had a hard landing before the race. It also said that IRL officials said he had no broken bones..... I assume this guy has a full body cast on right now.....

Rocketdoc
09-13-05, 12:12 AM
"v1.0 - Chip Ganassi: "He’s a little dazed and confused, but he’s OK.”

Yeah, but how was he after the accident?

Jervis Tetch 1
09-13-05, 12:57 AM
well hell....

There was a report that a parachutist had a hard landing before the race. It also said that IRL officials said he had no broken bones..... I assume this guy has a full body cast on right now.....That was too much! :rofl:

Jervis Tetch 1
09-13-05, 12:58 AM
"v1.0 - Chip Ganassi: "He’s a little dazed and confused, but he’s OK.”

Yeah, but how was he after the accident?Another good one. Who do I send the bill to so I can get my screen cleaned? :laugh:

jonovision_man
09-13-05, 06:55 AM
v1.0 - Chip Ganassi: "He’s a little dazed and confused, but he’s OK.”

v2.0 - Jeff Olson: "Briscoe spent Sunday night at Christ Hospital in Oaklawn, Ill., where he was being treated for a concussion, bruised lung and broken right and left clavicles. Initially it was believed that he didn't break any bones, but subsequent X-rays revealed the two broken collarbones."

v3.0 - Olson: "Target Chip Ganassi Racing officials said Briscoe sustained a concussion, two broken collarbones, a bruised lung and contusions to his legs and arms. Briscoe will undergo more extensive examinations and may remain at Methodist under observation for the next few days as a precaution."

Sources:
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/19530/
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/19555/

Stay tuned... :shakehead

A contusion is just a bruise... I don't think they're really hiding anything, probably just didn't feel it was worth mentioning.

jono

pchall
09-13-05, 07:03 AM
A contusion is just a bruise... I don't think they're really hiding anything, probably just didn't feel it was worth mentioning.

jono

Just a bruise? If there is significant bleeding in the muscle layers the bruises will calcify and present significant problems. In stick and ball sports contusions can be a career threatening injury and are taken very, very seriously.

jonovision_man
09-13-05, 08:50 AM
Just a bruise? If there is significant bleeding in the muscle layers the bruises will calcify and present significant problems. In stick and ball sports contusions can be a career threatening injury and are taken very, very seriously.

I guess it could be a bad bruise, but it's likely minor compared to his concussion and broken collar bones.

jono

rabbit
09-13-05, 09:30 AM
The contusions bear mentioning because it's the M.O. for IRL injury reports...

"The driver is fine except for this and this and this."
"Oh, and by the way, he/she/it also suffered a [fill in blank]."

Wheel-Nut
09-13-05, 09:34 AM
Fractured vertabrae usually take a week to show on the x-rays.

Gangrel
09-13-05, 10:08 AM

Yeah, but the important thing is that he is ok(TM).

Steve99
09-13-05, 12:09 PM
The important thing is that none of this was known before the race broadcast ended. That way all those watching knew that he was "ok(tm)" after the race. The casual fan will never know any different.

What rating did this "race" get? Was it on ABC or ESPN?

jonovision_man
09-13-05, 12:21 PM
The important thing is that none of this was known before the race broadcast ended. That way all those watching knew that he was "ok(tm)" after the race. The casual fan will never know any different.

What casual fans? :p

jono

NismoZ
09-13-05, 12:23 PM
Yeah, ABC, 1.1/2 share..."not bad for a football weekend." The Danica Peak Anti-freeze commercials were higher rated, I think.

Gangrel
09-13-05, 12:25 PM
Yeah, ABC, 1.1/2 share..."not bad for a football weekend." The Danica Peak Anti-freeze commercials were higher rated, I think.

That's "not bad (tm) for a football weekend." :D

Steve99
09-13-05, 01:50 PM
What casual fans? :p

jono
Someone must be watching to give them the 1.1 rating, but those people definately aren't attending any races.

Don Quixote
09-13-05, 02:14 PM
indystar (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050913/SPORTS01/509130449/1052)

Oh my God, who saw this one coming?

Briscoe is expected to remain hospitalized for the next few days as the IRL's medical staff does more extensive examinations, specifically on his back.

Gangrel
09-13-05, 02:18 PM
indystar (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050913/SPORTS01/509130449/1052)

Oh my God, who saw this one coming?

Apparently, "he's ok (TM)" means that he is still breathing and still shows brain activity.

In cases where the later was not true before the accident, it doesn't apply after.

rabbit
09-13-05, 03:05 PM

Oh my God, who saw this one coming?Make that v3.5.

Expect v4.0 to be released in the near future. :gomer:

devilmaster
09-13-05, 03:08 PM
Does Methodist have a 'cracked back' wing to their hospital? they should, and it should probably be named the 'Anton Hulman George Attenuator' wing.....

I can think of Briscoe and Dana as current residents.... who else?

Steve99
09-13-05, 06:39 PM
Does Methodist have a 'cracked back' wing to their hospital? they should, and it should probably be named the 'Anton Hulman George Attenuator' wing.....

I can think of Briscoe and Dana as current residents.... who else?
Bruno may have to stop by for checkups.

Opposite Lock
09-13-05, 07:49 PM

Yep - remember Half Schumey at the USGP?

JoeBob
09-14-05, 09:34 AM
V4.0 has been released:

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050914/SPORTS01/509140420/1052

Additional exams show Ryan Briscoe, 23, the Indy-car driver injured in Sunday's fiery crash in a race at Chicagoland Speedway, also has a fractured bone in his foot and spinal bruises.

He suffered a concussion, two broken collarbones and a lung contusion from the car-splitting wreck with Alex Barron in the Peak Antifreeze Indy 300. Briscoe is at Methodist Hospital.

Briscoe is having breathing issues, but that is "probably more from the fire and the smoke than the lung contusion," said Dr. Kevin Scheid, a member of the IRL's medical team.

The Australian's spinal bruises are not expected to require treatment, Scheid said.

Gangrel
09-14-05, 10:13 AM
V4.0 has been released:

Additional exams show Ryan Briscoe, 23, the Indy-car driver injured in Sunday's fiery crash in a race at Chicagoland Speedway, also has a fractured bone in his foot and spinal bruises.

He suffered a concussion, two broken collarbones and a lung contusion...

...and a partridge in a pear tree.

pchall
09-14-05, 10:30 AM
cut because I am just too angry right now

Chief
09-14-05, 10:46 AM
Forgive me here, but from the replay shouldn't it be Alex Barron with the "probably more from the fire and the smoke(tm)" than Mr. Briscoe?
http://speedtv.com/_assets/library/img/large/82273_rbr.jpg

TKGAngel
09-14-05, 10:48 AM
Will v5.0 downgrade the spinal contusions to a spinal fracture?

Sounds like the docs are trying to downplay where the cause of Briscoe's breathing issues are coming from, too. Its not from the injuries sustained in the wreck, but from the fire and smoke? WTF - a breathing issue is still an issue, no matter what the cause.

I feel for the poor kid, since everyday it seems his injuries multiply or increase in severity.

Don Quixote
09-14-05, 10:58 AM
cut because I am just too angry right now

Don't hold back on our account.

Sean O'Gorman
09-14-05, 11:06 AM
Can anyone even confirm if he is still alive at this point??? Jeez. :shakehead

Grunschev
09-14-05, 11:08 AM
Pardon my ignorance on this, but why is there such a large (visible) fireball? Did the IRL switch to gasoline? This looks like something out of a bad Stallone movie.

Igor

G.
09-14-05, 11:09 AM
Pardon my ignorance on this, but why is there such a large (visible) fireball? Did the IRL switch to gasoline? This looks like something out of a bad Stallone movie.

IgorOil fire, prolly.

Gangrel
09-14-05, 11:24 AM

Igor

Thought I heard a few years ago that they use a marker chemical in the fuel which makes the flame visible.

Then again, what ever happened to the corn-burning crapwagons? Is that in place now, or did they just float that idea around as long as it created good pr, then let it slide into obscurity?

Sean O'Gorman
09-14-05, 11:33 AM
Thought I heard a few years ago that they use a marker chemical in the fuel which makes the flame visible.

Then again, what ever happened to the corn-burning crapwagons? Is that in place now, or did they just float that idea around as long as it created good pr, then let it slide into obscurity?

'06

Chief
09-14-05, 11:44 AM
Upon impact the tranny was sheered from the engine, which was sheered from the tub, which in turn sheered itself apart tossing cylinder heads and plenum, and intake manifold through and off and into the cheesegrater. Of course, at that point oil from the crankcase can easily be released and caught on fire as well as the methanol from the sheered fuel lines etc.

They never report if the "greater than 50G sidepod light" was illuminated or not. It was quite a "heralded" safety innovation back in it's day, before flight was discovered.

JLMannin
09-14-05, 12:07 PM
Ernie Irvan had "breathing issues" after his big shunt in Michigan several years ago. Young Mr. Briscoe has been severely injured :( , and the IRL propagandists are trying to spin and downplay the severity of his injuries. :flame: :flame:

G.
09-14-05, 12:34 PM
How much debris flew through the fence?

I don't think that I like ovals anymore. :(

Next oval I bring g. to I will stay in the infield or pay for the really high seats.

oddlycalm
09-14-05, 02:03 PM
Can anyone even confirm if he is still alive at this point??? Jeez. :shakehead He's probably alive as we have not had the EARL Medical/PR team telling us that he has mild decapitation issues not expected to require treatment™, is mildly deceased™ that he is resting comfortably for eternity™, ot that he will be back in the car for the second coming™.

Yet another EARL wreck where it looks for all the world like the driver tangled with a low flying Cessna. :shakehead

oc

G.
09-14-05, 02:14 PM
He's probably alive as we have not had the EARL Medical/PR team telling us that he has mild decapitation issues not expected to require treatment™, is mildly deceased™ that he is resting comfortably for eternity™, ot that he will be back in the car for the second coming™.

ocMountain Dew forced through the sinus cavities is not a pleasant feeling. Kinda gross as well. :rofl:

"Not expected to require treatment"...

PS: piss off *******. ;)

:laugh:

TKGAngel
09-14-05, 02:55 PM
He's probably alive as we have not had the EARL Medical/PR team telling us that he has mild decapitation issues not expected to require treatment™, is mildly deceased™ that he is resting comfortably for eternity™, ot that he will be back in the car for the second coming™.

oc

Its statements like the above that make it dangerous to read this site during work hours. Stifling laughter so as not to disturb my fellow cubby-mates hurts!

Gangrel
09-14-05, 03:12 PM

Yet another EARL wreck where it looks for all the world like the driver tangled with a low flying Cessna. :shakehead

oc

*standing ovation* I will now be silent on this topic, since I could never reasonably hope to compete at the level which was just demonstrated. :rofl:

fourrunner
09-14-05, 03:36 PM
I've always wondered about this ...

Who Pays the Medical Bills in a Racing Related Crash

Does the Series have insurance ?

Does the Team have insurance ?

Or does the Driver have to take the hit ?

devilmaster
09-14-05, 03:44 PM

Dunno about the twirl, but isn't rule 1 of the CC rulebook about having a certain amount of insurance?

[edit] Nope. Seems to have changed it. The rule book does mention that teams have to pay insurance premiums before the driver/team can be licensed. Also, it talks about promoters must have insurance according to the promoter agreement, and they must be able to produce the policy 30 days prior to their event.....

Also - Hey champcar, upload the 2005 rule book, k? Thanks.

tllips
09-14-05, 03:53 PM

On the first Race Car Driver show, PT told his father that he had a $5Mil personal liability policy.

Elmo T
09-14-05, 03:54 PM

This is not racing. It is not normal. It is not acceptable.

http://www.foxjapan.com/movies/kissingjessica/cast_staff/img/coworker.jpg

"IT'S NOT OK"

If you haven't seen the show "Starved" on FX, then nevermind.

fourrunner
09-14-05, 04:13 PM
Dunno about the twirl, but isn't rule 1 of the CC rulebook about having a certain amount of insurance?

[edit] Nope. Seems to have changed it. The rule book does mention that teams have to pay insurance premiums before the driver/team can be licensed. Also, it talks about promoters must have insurance according to the promoter agreement, and they must be able to produce the policy 30 days prior to their event.....

Thanks Steve ... I was just hoping the Driver had some coverage

I'm doubting a Standard Health Insurance Policy would cover this since it is a High Risk Occupation!

RichK
09-14-05, 04:18 PM
I'm doubting a Standard Health Insurance Policy would cover this since it is a High Risk Occupation!

Many standard policies don't have a problem with race driving as a hobby (in my experience). I'm not sure about it being a profession. The insurance companies DO have a problem with motorcycle racing, sky diving, and SCUBA.

fourrunner
09-14-05, 04:22 PM
On the first Race Car Driver show, PT told his father that he had a $5Mil personal liability policy.

I Pay Premiums for my Business that covers Liability for anything we make, or Do to damage anothers property or cause Injury to a person while we perform business related activities

It does not cover any injuries we receive performing these activities

I assume PT's Liability Insurance is for anything that happens to "Others or their property" which is caused by him. And it is probably a Shared Liability Coverage in that The Team, and the Series would share in the payout if it happened during Racing ctivities, the Promoter & Track would also take a hit also

Like with most liability policies, they don't pay out if your breaking the law during the accident . So if PT crashed his Dad's Jag going 150 on the street ..The Insurance Company wouldn't pay anything.

fourrunner
09-14-05, 04:28 PM
Many standard policies don't have a problem with race driving as a hobby (in my experience). I'm not sure about it being a profession. The insurance companies DO have a problem with motorcycle racing, sky diving, and SCUBA.

I know Teams can buy Insurance for the Cars ... But the Premiums & the Deductibles are very high

I'm sure Ganassi's policies would have been canceled by now!!

A Famous Race Driver used to sell these policies (Pancho Carter ???)
not sure whether he still does

Sean O'Gorman
09-14-05, 04:57 PM
Many standard policies don't have a problem with race driving as a hobby (in my experience).

I take it your insurance company never saw the cover of the Inside Line before? :D

Gangrel
09-14-05, 05:06 PM

Hey now...most companies don't have issues with SCUBA diving, and most divers carry (at very low premiums) DAN insurance to cover a diving injury.

>speaks from experience<

gjc2
09-14-05, 05:40 PM

This is not racing. It is not normal. It is not acceptable.

It's not, it's not and it's not. You are absolutely correct.

George

JohnHKart
09-14-05, 05:50 PM

oc

Yeah and "he died doing what he loved doing" :rolleyes:

John

JoeBob
09-14-05, 06:26 PM

It is listed under "About" on the left side of the website.

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/About/Rulebook2005.pdf

Interesting note - change the year in the URL, and you'll find the rule books from previous seasons.

eiregosod
09-14-05, 09:12 PM
...and a partridge in a pear tree.

:rofl:

racer2c
09-14-05, 09:19 PM
It is listed under "About" on the left side of the website.

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/About/Rulebook2005.pdf

Interesting note - change the year in the URL, and you'll find the rule books from previous seasons.

You hacker you. ;)

rabbit
09-14-05, 10:13 PM
You hacker you. ;)
j03808 pwnz!!!!!111!! :p

Gangrel
09-15-05, 12:29 AM
:rofl:

Thank you, thank you... *bows*

Chief
09-15-05, 10:27 PM
It's late Thursday so......I believe Briscoe Injury Report v3.9999 has *leaked* out:

......the accelerometer in Briscoe's helmet registered in excess of 150g's on impact and "that much force against the shoulders is bound to cause breakage and Ryan also sustained damage to his T1 and T2 discs" in the lower back. These injuries were in addition to concussion, singed eyebrows and bruises to both of his knees.
http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=200764

JoeBob
09-15-05, 11:57 PM
That's version 4.1 Chief.

emjaya
09-16-05, 07:15 AM
There was no question in Brown's mind that the car would come apart but he was incredulous - as was most everyone on site - to see the Panoz chassis intact after the force of the accident.

"The tub remained intact and normally you don't find that," he reiterated.

Is it me or is that a bit scary,it's normal for an IRL car to come apart in a crash. :shakehead

trauma1
09-16-05, 08:22 AM
so now thursday we do find out he has a back injury to go along with a broken foot, brused lung, 10-1 he has a back surgery soon

Steve99
09-16-05, 03:25 PM
Is it me or is that a bit scary,it's normal for an IRL car to come apart in a crash. :shakehead
The rest of the car comes apart to dissipate energy. The tub is supposed to stay together to protect the driver. I'm worried that they usually don't find the tub in one piece. :confused: And I don't think the fuel cell is supposed to go flying and spray fuel everywhere.

JoeBob
09-16-05, 04:07 PM
Version 4.2 - Still in Intensive Care, but should be out this weekend.

http://racing.target.com/news_article.asp?ArticleID=64&SeriesCode=IRL

Briscoe sustained a concussion, two broken collarbones, a bruised lung and contusions to his legs and arms. He also has a tiny fracture to a small bone in his right foot and several contusions on his back. All injuries are expected to heal without requiring further treatment or surgery. Briscoe is expected to be transferred out of the critical care unit this weekend where he was being treated for breathing difficulties stemming from the inhalation of heat and vapors during the incident. He is expected to make a full recovery and should be released from hospital early next week.

At least they're expecting a full recovery. Sounds like is has been a very tough week for Ryan.

TKGAngel
09-16-05, 04:53 PM
After reading through this thread, is it normal for the laundry list of injuries to get longer as the week goes on, or is there a mighty bit of spin control going on here?

Lizzerd
09-16-05, 06:47 PM
After reading through this thread, is it normal for the laundry list of injuries to get longer as the week goes on, or is there a mighty bit of spin control going on here?

Yes.

oddlycalm
09-16-05, 09:20 PM
It grinds my ass that this kid is in intensive care for a week with scorched lungs and internal bruising so that ESPN can use his wreck as a lead-in shot and in highlight reels. :flame:

oc

clutch
09-18-05, 10:05 AM
It grinds my ass that this kid is in intensive care for a week with scorched lungs and internal bruising so that ESPN can use his wreck as a lead-in shot and in highlight reels. :flame:

oc

Notice every time ABC/ESPN shows Kenny's "dance" with the fence (as Annie Proffit describes it), they play that really rawkin' wailing guitar hard driving beat rock song every time.

Wonder if they have Ryan's song/music picked out yet. :shakehead

coolhand
09-18-05, 04:47 PM
some other forums now say he is in critical condition.

devilmaster
09-18-05, 04:57 PM
some other forums now say he is in critical condition.

From the start? or has he been downgraded?

JoeBob
09-18-05, 09:41 PM
He was in the critical care unit. (Intensive Care) Tonight on SPEED News, Robin Miller said he should walk out of the hospital in the last few days.

High Sided
09-18-05, 10:21 PM
irl drivers are blind idiots in my opinion. yes there is a possability of severe injury or even death in motorsports yet in the irl these guys strap in knowing that severe injury is not just a possability but a probability. sad thing is when Danica has her shunt with a flying car and a fence post her petite body will most likelly breath it's last breath. :thumdown:

TKGAngel
09-19-05, 03:34 PM
So the following link should put us up to v4.2, right?

Briscoe Released from Hospital - SpeedTv (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/19675/)

Glad to see that this is at least a positive update.