PDA

View Full Version : Anheuser-Busch to market blueberry beer

oddlycalm
09-12-05, 07:02 PM
According to a report in the St. Louis Business Journal, at a recent meeting of Anheuser-Busch its distributors, the company is planning to test a dozen new products with various flavors, including blueberry. Among the products being tested or planned for testing are Wild Blue, a blueberry-flavored beer; Bluestone, a still drink made with grain, blueberries and red grapes; and Blue Horizon, a blueberry-flavored malt beverage. This summer in an attempt to reach a younger market, the company introduced Tilt, a caffeinated malt beverage with guarana and ginseng.
Or here's a thought; how about brewing a beer with quality ingredients that is actually worthy of being called beer, sell it at a fair price then leave off with the fruit and other soda pop beer :rolleyes: Maybe pay for the quality ingredients through the cost savings realized by firing the idiots that came up with all the "added ingredient" ideas.

As far as the younger market goes, it seems like that pesky legal age business seems like it would make targeting adult beverages underage drinkers a problem, but I'm guessing I'd be wrong on that particular point. :shakehead

oc

cart7
09-12-05, 07:05 PM
But A-B already uses the finest Beechwood aged hops in it's brewing process. That's why they can call it the King of Beers. :p

Opposite Lock
09-12-05, 08:02 PM
Or here's a thought; how about brewing a beer with quality ingredients that is actually worthy of being called beer, sell it at a fair price then leave off with the fruit and other soda pop beer :rolleyes: Maybe pay for the quality ingredients through the cost savings realized by firing the idiots that came up with all the "added ingredient" ideas.

Reinheitsgebot (http://brewery.org/library/ReinHeit.html) be damned. At least this isn't 1992, or we'd be in for "clear beer".

extramundane
09-12-05, 08:18 PM
But A-B already uses the finest Beechwood aged hops in it's brewing process. That's why they can call it the King of Beers. :p

For a real treat, go to "Budweiser Beer School" at Busch Gardens and listen to the idiots spin their use of rice as a good thing. Then watch their heads explode after you ask them why they don't use cascade or amarillo hops.

eiregosod
09-12-05, 09:10 PM
needs more Clydsdale horse.

Budweiser are very protective about their watery brewing process

RusH
09-12-05, 09:43 PM
Will it be girl beer, like Arbor Mist flavered wines?

That stuff is Fruity-Patooty. :gomer:

racer2c
09-12-05, 09:43 PM
I enjoy a nice cold Bud on a hot day. It's my beer of choice on my boat. I also enjoy many of the "finer beers" depending on what epicurean happenings are on the menu. Like I've written here before, I've dropped out of two local brew clubs because all anyone was interested in was 1. mixing beer with fruit and 2. trying to emulate Budweiser. No thanks. I don't want fruit in my beer and if I want a Bud, I'll buy it. It's cheap.

Now Miller products I have a problem with...oh and that Natty Lite crap too... but of course, no one drinks those either...:)

Methanolandbrats
09-12-05, 09:44 PM
They had Classic Pizz, Regular Pizz, Light Pizz, Ice Pizz.........so why not add Blue Pizz to the lineup.

cart7
09-12-05, 09:45 PM
Old Milwaukee guy here. :gomer:

Cam
09-12-05, 09:47 PM
All American beer is cats .... anyway.....

Obligotary flame. :p

IlliniRacer
09-12-05, 10:23 PM
Believe it or not, they acutally make a good beer in St. Louis:

Schlafly (http://www.schlafly.com)

race chica
09-13-05, 10:07 AM
Will it be girl beer, like Arbor Mist flavered wines?

That stuff is Fruity-Patooty. :gomer:

Hey-- I am a girl and have tried blueberry beer (not budwiser but a micro brew...dont remember what it was) and can say that it is something you drink like wine; something to have along with a meal or a dessert (ice cream is a good choice)...not to get drunk off of. It wasnt bad, just different

Sean O'Gorman
09-13-05, 11:08 AM
Hey Ank, just think, once this blueberry beer comes out it'll be easier for you to pick out spot sure things at the bar:

http://www.jwz.org/images/violet7.jpg

:laugh:

Warlock!
09-13-05, 11:11 AM
When I go to the carryout to pick up a case or more of beer, it's gonna be Bud. Not Arrogant Bastard, not Boddingtons, not Grolsch, not Sierra Nevada, not Dogfish Head... just Bud. I looooooove those other beers, but I'm not gonna have a day of drinkin' with my friends, putting away bottle after bottle of some crazy-hopped IPA or a tar-thick stout. I want something lighter, not overly potent, and cheap... Bud fits that bill. Don't any of you beer connoisseurs ever do that? :shakehead

However, Bud-berry seems as though it would taste like @ss...

:D

Ed_Severson
09-13-05, 11:24 AM
When I go to the carryout to pick up a case or more of beer, it's gonna be Bud. Don't any of you beer connoisseurs ever do that? :shakehead

No. :gomer:

chop456
09-13-05, 11:44 AM
'Lock's right. And if there's one subject I wouldn't argue with him on, it's beer. :D

Sometimes it comes down to endurance. You're in for a marathon drinking session. A day at the races, the beach, etc. As much as I'd like to, you can't keep it going all day on Liberty Ale. My favorite beer is Sierra Nevada Christmas Ale, but it's not made for pounding. When drinking at the professional level, quantity beats quality. Tecate, Bud, even Bud Light are worthy choices, all.

And if you're lucky, your friendly neighborhood Italian deli has cases of Bitburger in cans for $14.99 :thumbup:

Hard Driver
09-13-05, 11:45 AM
but I'm not gonna have a day of drinkin' with my friends, putting away bottle after bottle of some crazy-hopped IPA or a tar-thick stout. I want something lighter, not overly potent, and cheap... Bud fits that bill. Don't any of you beer connoisseurs ever do that? :shakehead

That is what Heinekin, Becks, or Amstel is for. :cool: (Although they aren't exactly cheap)

Michaelhatesfans
09-13-05, 11:58 AM
I want something lighter, not overly potent, and cheap... Bud fits that bill. Don't any of you beer connoisseurs ever do that?
Not even at gunpoint.

Sean O'Gorman
09-13-05, 12:15 PM
When I go to the carryout to pick up a case or more of beer, it's gonna be Bud. Not Arrogant Bastard, not Boddingtons, not Grolsch, not Sierra Nevada, not Dogfish Head... just Bud. I looooooove those other beers, but I'm not gonna have a day of drinkin' with my friends, putting away bottle after bottle of some crazy-hopped IPA or a tar-thick stout. I want something lighter, not overly potent, and cheap... Bud fits that bill. Don't any of you beer connoisseurs ever do that? :shakehead

However, Bud-berry seems as though it would taste like @ss...

Nothing wrong with that, but IMO Bud and Bud Light suck. I'd rather drink High Life, or Labatt Blue, or something like that. Something about Budweiser I'm just not crazy about.

The only difference is Bud Ice, that isn't too bad. Plus it looks like a Pepsi can so you can drink it in public or in a fast food joint without anyone noticing. http://www.digitalwebbing.com/forums/images/smilies/whistling.gif

Skater_36
09-13-05, 12:20 PM
Not even at gunpoint.

:rofl:

Agree! Plenty of lower alcohol micros out there.

Michaelhatesfans
09-13-05, 12:21 PM
Budweiser and Miller are the IRL of the beer world.

RusH
09-13-05, 12:30 PM
Nothing like downing a quart of Colt45 real fast on an empty stomach. :gomer:

cheap too.

Sean O'Gorman
09-13-05, 12:34 PM
Nothing like downing a quart of Colt45 real fast on an empty stomach. :gomer:

cheap too.

http://bfcgroup.com/helluvatough/landobottle1.jpg

extramundane
09-13-05, 12:46 PM

Start here:

http://www.geocities.com/archerliquors/images/pj.jpghttp://img.epinions.com/images/opti/18/50/fddkBeersBy_NameVictory_Prima_Pils-resized200.gif

Warlock!
09-13-05, 01:17 PM

At twice the price, sure. That's not what I consider cheap. :gomer:

I tend to think of macro beers as the Toyota Atlantics of the beer world. Cheap enuf for the regular guy, but good bang for the buck. However, if you wanna go big-time, you're gonna hafta shell out the big money.

I'm not too proud to appreciate both.

oddlycalm
09-13-05, 02:10 PM
For a real treat, go to "Budweiser Beer School" at Busch Gardens and listen to the idiots spin their use of rice as a good thing. You hit the nail on the head, the large quantity of rice is what makes it taste bad. All you need to do is look at commodity grain prices for rice vs two row malting barley and you have your answer for why they use it. It's cheap filler just as is the corn used by some other brewers. Over the decades I've routinely chosen such humble beers as Hamms, Pabst, Strohs etc. to avoid having to drink Bud, which has a very definite off-taste to my palate.

Ironically, Kirin makes a great lager in Japan using some rice in the process, yet the beer isn't the thin, pale, watery, off-tasting stuff that Bud is. The difference is that Kirin uses a small qauntity of high quality rice as a flavor enhancement not cheap rice in large quantities as an inexpensive filler.

As Opposite Lock suggests, the reason Germany implemented the Reinheitsgebot (German purity law) in the year 1516 was the realization that brewers could not be trusted as they would inevitably cheapen their beer with fillers to enhance their profit. Some things never change.

oc

Skater_36
09-13-05, 02:24 PM

I tend to think of macro beers as the Toyota Atlantics of the beer world. Cheap enuf for the regular guy, but good bang for the buck. However, if you wanna go big-time, you're gonna hafta shell out the big money.

I'm not too proud to appreciate both.

Not necessarily. How about Weinhards (west coast), Rolling Rock or Yuenglings. Inexpensive and much more drinkable than Budweiser. These are just a couple off the top of my head. There are many more regional micros and macros that are not high alcohol and offer an alternative to the NASCAR beers. :D

Michaelhatesfans
09-13-05, 04:39 PM

I'll happily pay a bit more to avoid that Perrier/Piss experience that is mainstream American "beer." :cool:

Ankf00
09-13-05, 07:30 PM
Gameday: 32oz beers at this one place near OSU campus...

15+ hours of boozing and at least 2 gallons consumed throughout the day not counting shots...

coors light

:gomer:

*ducks from the incoming fire*

extramundane
09-13-05, 07:37 PM
Gameday: 32oz beers at this one place near OSU campus...

15+ hours of boozing and at least 2 gallons consumed throughout the day not counting shots...

coors light

I can drink 2 gallons of water in 15 hours too. What's your point?

cameraman
09-13-05, 07:54 PM
I want something lighter, not overly potent, and cheap

Hell no. I have a couple dozen local microbrews in grocery store to choose from if I want to drink 3.2 beer. The absolute worst of them blows Budweiser away.

Ankf00
09-13-05, 08:14 PM
I can drink 2 gallons of water in 15 hours too. What's your point?

that's exactly the point ;) try going 15+ on Bass or Stone IPA...

racer2c
09-13-05, 08:33 PM
Hell no. I have a couple dozen local microbrews in grocery store to choose from if I want to drink 3.2 beer. The absolute worst of them blows Budweiser away.

I beg to differ. 90% of microbrewed beer is over hopped and over-hyped garbage. Especially the stuff you get at the grocery store. :thumdown:

Ankf00
09-13-05, 08:51 PM
I beg to differ. 90% of microbrewed beer is over hopped and over-hyped garbage. Especially the stuff you get at the grocery store. :thumdown:

chances are your local micro's only going to have water, malt, hops, and yeast... hold the urea. :D

racer2c
09-13-05, 09:49 PM
chances are your local micro's only going to have water, malt, hops, and yeast... hold the urea. :D

Hopefully some rice, corn and sugar too but you never can tell...The majority somehow miraculously get entire seasons inside their bottles...Autumn Honey Bock, Summer Wheat Ale, Spring Clover Lager and let's not forget the ever popular Winter brews like Winter Berry Stout and Winter Almond Malt!

If I had a dollar for every time I told my wife "I'll get up in another hour...me and the guys had way too many Winter Almond Malts last night." :rofl:

dando
09-14-05, 12:39 AM
Not necessarily. How about Weinhards (west coast), Rolling Rock or Yuenglings. Inexpensive and much more drinkable than Budweiser. These are just a couple off the top of my head. There are many more regional micros and macros that are not high alcohol and offer an alternative to the NASCAR beers.
I'll add Shiner Bock to that list. Despite the fact that it's made by those bastiges in Texas. :) BTW. based on my conversations w/Ank and Jer, if yer in Texas, wash thoroughly and repeat as necessary. Sounds like Ank has made the rounds down yonder. :gomer:

Yuengling = :thumbup:

-Kevin

Michaelhatesfans
09-14-05, 01:46 AM
that's exactly the point ;) try going 15+ on Bass or Stone IPA...
Well, back in the day, I managed this one...
http://www.thecirclelinepubcrawl.co.uk/
I was hung over for four days. :cry: I was at the top of my drinking game in those days, mind you. Olympic caliber. Guinness, Bass, Carlsberg, and then when we ran tight on our schedule we saved time by doing shots, instead. Yeah, that was a good idea... :saywhat:

cameraman
09-14-05, 03:47 AM
I beg to differ. 90% of microbrewed beer is over hopped and over-hyped garbage. Especially the stuff you get at the grocery store. :thumdown: Sounds like Virginia microbreweries don't know what they are doing. Ironic that good local brews can be found in Utah...

extramundane
09-14-05, 07:38 AM
Sounds like Virginia microbreweries don't know what they are doing. Ironic that good local brews can be found in Utah...

I don't know which ones he's had, but Richbrau, Legend, St. George and Starr Hill all know what they're doing.

Ankf00
09-14-05, 08:38 AM
I was hung over for four days. :cry: I was at the top of my drinking game in those days, mind you. Olympic caliber. Guinness, Bass, Carlsberg, and then when we ran tight on our schedule we saved time by doing shots, instead. Yeah, that was a good idea... :saywhat:

jeebus dude... I had a pair of 24 hr hangovers last weekend but 96 takes the ****ing cake!!! :eek:

Warlock!
09-14-05, 09:05 AM
Well, while you discriminating palates are walking about the grounds at Road America quenching your thirsts with Sophie's Goose Penninsula Hexnut Longstem Flaxseed Blueberry Wheatgrass Pale Ale (thanks stretch) during the BRIC weekend next year, at least I won't have to worry about anyone bumming any of my pisswater beer if we happen to meet up. :cool:

However, if you offer, I'll damn sure take you up on glommin' one or more of yours. :D

G.
09-14-05, 10:53 AM
Warlock is wise, but I beg to differ in his choice. Bud messes up my digestive tract sumtin fierce.

Miller Lite is my "Maintanance Beer". Any of the Miller family works for this.

Turn7
09-14-05, 02:11 PM
If I am buying, Bud, Miller Lite and Keystone get bought. If I am drinking somebody elses, I always ask if they have something better when they hand me a bud. :D

I like beer, I don't descriminate. Being a beer racist is bad.

Michaelhatesfans
09-14-05, 04:46 PM
Being a beer racist is bad.
Elitist.

:cool:

racer2c
09-14-05, 05:20 PM

Ironically, Kirin makes a great lager in Japan using some rice in the process, yet the beer isn't the thin, pale, watery, off-tasting stuff that Bud is. The difference is that Kirin uses a small qauntity of high quality rice as a flavor enhancement not cheap rice in large quantities as an inexpensive filler.

oc

Puleeze. Rice between two lagers? Come on , they're lagers. You drink them on a hot day or to wash the wasabi down after a fresh piece of sashimi. Hmm, look at that, Kirin is distributed in the US by none other than Anhieser Busch and Kirin owns Japan Budweiser. I wonder if they share rice? Hmm.

oddlycalm
09-15-05, 03:09 PM
Puleeze. Rice between two lagers? Come on , they're lagers. You drink them on a hot day or to wash the wasabi down after a fresh piece of sashimi. Hmm, look at that, Kirin is distributed in the US by none other than Anhieser Busch and Kirin owns Japan Budweiser. I wonder if they share rice? Hmm. My point is that they certainly don't share the same flavor. Since Kirin can be had almost anywhere in the US, feel free to compare. Sample cold then let both warm to room temp and compare again. The differences are not subtle.

BTW, I completely agree that many, if not most, US micro/macro/craft brewery beers are over-hopped and often overwrought in general. Their lack of balance seems to result from the "more is better" school of thought. I always figured it was a overreaction to the pale tasteless mass market product, but it's just not very good beer.

oc

eiregosod
09-15-05, 05:51 PM

for many people here, that is a way of life.

Guinness, bass, Carlsberg & likker , that's one way to keep paracetemol factories runnin overtime!

A cheap but good beer on sale at the moment is Tuborg.

racer2c
09-15-05, 06:47 PM
My point is that they certainly don't share the same flavor. Since Kirin can be had almost anywhere in the US, feel free to compare. Sample cold then let both warm to room temp and compare again. The differences are not subtle.

BTW, I completely agree that many, if not most, US micro/macro/craft brewery beers are over-hopped and often overwrought in general. Their lack of balance seems to result from the "more is better" school of thought. I always figured it was a overreaction to the pale tasteless mass market product, but it's just not very good beer.

oc

:thumbup:

RichK
09-15-05, 07:51 PM
Our cheap beer in the fridge is Rolling Rock. Pretty good on a hot day, and I like to stare at the mystical "33" on the bottle. :gomer:

dando
09-15-05, 08:04 PM
Our cheap beer in the fridge is Rolling Rock. Pretty good on a hot day, and I like to stare at the mystical "33" on the bottle. :gomer:
That's just a number, you know. :gomer:

-Kevin

oddlycalm
09-17-05, 04:11 PM
A cheap but good beer on sale at the moment is Tuborg. Agreed, Tuborg is good beer for the money. Unfortunately, the Tuborg brewed in North America takes awful. Tuborg dark used to be my regular beer back when it was imported from Denmark. Sometime during the early 1970's there was a lisence agreement made to have it brewed in the US and the results were simply terrible. Never tried another bottle after that although it remains in stores. It's brewed in a bunch of different countries ranging from Eire to Bulgaria, but I have no idea how any of those beers relate to the Tuborg actually brewed in Denmark.

We've seen the same thing happen with other beer as well. The Canadian brewed Guiness we get here doesn't really stand up to the real article IMO.

oc

racer2c
09-17-05, 11:13 PM
I like Tuborg but it's hard to find in my neck of the woods. Same with Kronenbourg which was my beer of choice for quite some time before I couldn't get it anymore.