PDA

View Full Version : Dork Move - Under Serious Consideration

KaBoom21
09-12-05, 05:23 PM
I may be in attendance tonight at Guitar Center...

SABIAN CYMBALS AND DW DRUMS ARE PROUD TO PRESENT NEIL PEART'S 30TH ANNIVERSARY DRUM SET ON TOUR ACROSS AMERICA FEATURING NEIL'S LONG TIME DRUM TECHNICIAN LORNE WHEATON.

The Voyage of the 'S.S. Professor' begins in Boston on September 8th, crosses the country and ends in Las Vegas on September 22nd.

Lorne Wheaton will conduct a clinic at each event on equipment maintenance, offer tuning tips and discuss Neil's equipment and sound preferences. He will also answer customers' questions about life on the road, working with RUSH, and of course musician and lyricist Neil Peart, affectionately known as 'The Professor.'

RichK
09-12-05, 05:33 PM
I've been out of the biz for about 17 years, but when did NP change to Sabian & DW?

indyfan31
09-12-05, 06:18 PM
I've been out of the biz for about 17 years, but when did NP change to Sabian & DW?
Didn't he use Tama gear? (eons ago)

Let me get this straight, his drums and drum tech are going on tour? :confused:

RichK
09-12-05, 06:25 PM
Didn't he use Tama gear? (eons ago)

Yeah, I last remember Tama/Zildjian. But the last time I was paying attention, I had a polo shirt on with the collar turned up! :gomer: :laugh:

Opposite Lock
09-12-05, 07:40 PM

Yeah, that does sound pretty strange, but how many other drum kits (or any other instruments) actually get a huge round of applause when the stage lights hit them and the roadies uncover them half an hour before the actual musicians take the stage?

And wasn't there an old SNL(?) sketch about a tour by some musician's instrument (or piece of gear or otherwise inanimate object)? Was it Elvis Presley's coat?

Ankf00
09-12-05, 08:09 PM
Yeah, I last remember Tama/Zildjian. But the last time I was paying attention, I had a polo shirt on with the collar turned up! :gomer: :laugh:

You mean you were hanging out on SMU campus this weekend? :gomer: :D

KaBoom21
09-13-05, 02:36 PM
Yeah, I last remember Tama/Zildjian.

He switched to Ludwig first and then later, DW. The move to Sabian came about as a result of the split in the Zildjain family and the person Peart worked with at Zildjian moving to Sabian.

I decided not to attend once I found out it was out in Arlington Heights instead of the North Halstead city location but I did hear about this one: according to the drum tech, Neil Peart couldn't understand why anyone would want to go look at his drums and was hesitant until someone asked him if he would be interested in going to see Italian motorcycle racing star Valentino Rossi's motorcycle if it was on display somewhere. :rofl:

RichK
09-13-05, 02:57 PM
He switched to Ludwig first and then later, DW. The move to Sabian came about as a result of the split in the Zildjain family and the person Peart worked with at Zildjian moving to Sabian.

I decided not to attend once I found out it was out in Arlington Heights instead of the North Halstead city location but I did hear about this one: according to the drum tech, Neil Peart couldn't understand why anyone would want to go look at his drums and was hesitant until someone asked him if he would be interested in going to see Italian motorcycle racing star Valentino Rossi's motorcycle if it was on display somewhere. :rofl:

Funny! That analogy is perfect!

I remember Sabians sounding like hubcaps in the 80s (in my opinion), although lots of good guys (especially jazz guys) were using them then. I need to pick up a Modern Drummer magazine and get hip to the new millennium! :)

KaBoom21
09-13-05, 03:23 PM
Funny! That analogy is perfect!

I remember Sabians sounding like hubcaps in the 80s (in my opinion), although lots of good guys (especially jazz guys) were using them then. I need to pick up a Modern Drummer magazine and get hip to the new millennium! :)
Yeah, I've always owned Zildjians, but Sabian has come a long, long way as a result of the aforementioned split.

indyfan31
09-13-05, 03:38 PM
Yeah, I've always owned Zildjians, but Sabian has come a long, long way as a result of the aforementioned split.
Over the years I ended up with a mishmash of cymbals. Zildjian ride, crash & splash, Sabian HH, and a Paiste 2002 crash that started to crack. Drilling didn't stop the crack from getting longer so I finally just cut a "bite" out of the cymbal with a skillsaw, I've still got it and it's still my favorite.

devilmaster
09-13-05, 05:03 PM
I need to pick up a Modern Drummer magazine and get hip to the new millennium! :)

For starters, is anyone hip anymore? ;) :D

RichK
09-13-05, 05:12 PM

See? That's my problem! :cry:

indyfan31
09-13-05, 06:21 PM
I'm so out of it, I still call it "hep". :shakehead

devilmaster
09-13-05, 06:37 PM
I'm so out of it, I still call it "hep". :shakehead

I'm so out of it, I was never in it.......

RTKar
09-13-05, 06:54 PM
I'm so out of it, I was never in it.......

Me either...wait til you hit 40, it get's worse.