PDA

View Full Version : FEMA Chief Brown Resigns

spinner26
09-12-05, 03:09 PM
WASHINGTON — Federal Emergency Management Agency (search) director Mike Brown said Monday he has resigned "in the best interest of the agency and best interest of the president," three days after losing his on-site command of the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

"The focus has got to be on FEMA, what the people are trying to do down there," Brown told The Associated Press.

Brown came under fire over the federal response to Hurricane Katrina. He was called back to Washington last week and replaced as the head of the on-site federal relief and recovery effort.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,169169,00.html

devilmaster
09-12-05, 03:22 PM
good.

KLang
09-12-05, 03:35 PM
I expected this to happen though not quite this soon. I feel sorry for the guy. We are only starting to learn what was actually going on behind the scenes, and some of the major problems were not FEMA's doing.

racer2c
09-12-05, 03:39 PM
How about the Mayor of NO not getting the school busses out to pick up the lower income peolple as was his own plan? Or the same mayor who sat on Cat 5 warnings until less than 24 hours before it hit.

RacinM3
09-12-05, 04:15 PM
Well this guy was not suited to run such an agency. It's good he's gone, but the root of the problem is why he was there in the first place.

Dr. Corkski
09-12-05, 05:56 PM
Well this guy was not suited to run such an agency. It's good he's gone, but the root of the problem is why he was there in the first place.The logical response to that would be to blame it on the people of New Orleans. :gomer:

oddlycalm
09-12-05, 06:01 PM
TG should look hard at this guy for a position in the EARL. Brown could handle both Barnhart's and Nation's jobs at the same time... :gomer:

oc

Elmo T
09-12-05, 10:46 PM
They are putting a Fire Chief in charge. :thumbup: :thumbup:

And with real credentials.

FEMA and the fire service (United States Fire Administration in particular) have been pushed aside in the Department of Homeland Security. Unless it was related to "terrorism", it was likely to get the budget axe. All-hazards emergency response and the local responders took a back seat to the sexier topic of domestic terrorism. Yet we continue to have fires and natural disasters on a DAILY basis. Our LOCAL police and fire service are the first responders, on the front line day-in and day-out. Both the locals and FEMA need to be given the resources and funding to do their jobs. The rest will fall in to place. Sorry - a sore subject for me. :flame:

Fire Service Vet, USFA Head, to Take FEMA Reigns

LARA JAKES JORDAN
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Federal Emergency Management Agency director Mike Brown resigned Monday, three days after losing his onsite command of the Hurricane Katrina relief effort. The White House picked a top FEMA official with three decades of firefighting experience as his replacement.

R. David Paulison, head of FEMA's emergency preparedness force, will lead the beleaguered agency, according to two senior administration sources who spoke on condition of anonymity because the announcement had not yet been made.

Paulison is a career firefighter from Miami who was among emergency workers responding to Hurricane Andrew in 1992 and the crash of ValuJet Flight 592 in the Florida Everglades in 1996, according to a biography posted on FEMA's Web site. He also has led the U.S. Fire Administration since December 2001, according to the site.

As chief of the Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Department, Paulison led 1,900 personnel under a $200 million operating budget. He was also in charge of Dade County's emergency management office, according to his biography.

Firehouse.com will have more details and fire service reaction on this story as they become available.

• Discuss Paulison's appointment in the Firehouse Forums

PAULISON BIO - from USFA WEB SITE

R. David Paulison was appointed by President George W. Bush and confirmed by the United States Senate as the Administrator for the U.S. Fire Administration in December 2001. As U.S. Fire Administrator, Mr. Paulison heads the U.S. Fire Administration, part of the Emergency Preparedness and Response Directorate/FEMA, supports State and local fire service programs, and oversee programs to reduce life and economic losses due to fire and related emergencies, in partnership with fire protection and emergency service communities.

Mr. Paulison served as the Director of the Preparedness Division of the Emergency Preparedness and Response Directorate/FEMA, in the newly created Department of Homeland Security, from 2003-2004. During his tenure, Mr. Paulison administered a broad range of programs designed to strengthen State and community emergency preparedness in order to reduce loss of life and property due to disaster; administered first responder grant programs totaling more than $1 billion; and oversaw more than 350 employees. He was also responsible for training Federal, State, and local emergency managers and first responders, and for conducting a nationwide program of exercises.

Before joining FEMA, Mr. Paulison, who has 30 years of fire/rescue services experience, was chief of the Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Department. In that position, he oversaw 1,900 personnel with a $200 million operating budget and a $70 million capital budget. He also oversaw the Dade County Emergency Management office.

He began his career as a rescue firefighter and rose through the ranks of rescue lieutenant commander, district chief of operations, division chief, assistant chief and then deputy director for administration before becoming the Miami-Dade Fire Chief. He is a certified paramedic and, as fire chief, oversaw the Miami-Dade Urban Search and Rescue Task Force. His emergency management experience includes Hurricane Andrew and the crash of ValuJet Flight 592. He is also past president of the International Association of Fire Chiefs.

A native of Miami, Florida, Mr. Paulison earned a bachelor of arts from Florida Atlantic University and completed the Program for Senior Executives in State and Local Government at Harvard University's John F. Kennedy School of Government. In 2004, he received the Mason Lankford Fire Service Leadership Award from the Congressional Fire Service Institute. Additionally, he has received the LeRoy Collins Distinguished Alumni Award and has been inducted into the Miami-Dade Community College Hall of Fame. Mr. Paulison was selected as Fire Chief of the Year by his colleagues from the State of Florida in 1993 and holds positions in several professional associations.

rabbit
09-12-05, 11:55 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05254/568876.stm

Elmo T
09-13-05, 06:16 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05254/568876.stm

In fairness to the Federal gov't - I am the Emergency Management Coordinator for my town and we have always been told that we, the local responders, would be on our own for the first 72 hours of any disaster before any significant federal assistance would be available.

I believe Mr. Brown's qualifications, or lack thereof, to be the FEMA Director and FEMA's place in this administration are the symptoms of a bigger problem. FEMA must be given the funding, resources, and support to complete their job. At one time, FEMA was the model of expertise, effectiveness, and efficiency.

Skater_36
09-13-05, 08:07 AM
In fairness to the Federal gov't - I am the Emergency Management Coordinator for my town and we have always been told that we, the local responders, would be on our own for the first 72 hours of any disaster before any significant federal assistance would be available.

I believe Mr. Brown's qualifications, or lack thereof, to be the FEMA Director and FEMA's place in this administration are the symptoms of a bigger problem. FEMA must be given the funding, resources, and support to complete their job. At one time, FEMA was the model of expertise, effectiveness, and efficiency.

Brown was able to handle the four hurricanes in Florida last year. This year one hurricane hits New Orleans and suddenly he doesn't know what he's doing. The variable seems to be state and local officials(Mayor of N.O. & Gov. of LA) that aren't qualified to handle their jobs. I believe the media can also take some credit (blame) for hyping the situation to critical mass in order to out do each other for headlines.

RTKar
09-13-05, 08:24 AM
"Take whatever idiot they have at the top of whatever agency and give me a better idiot." said Aaron Broussard, president of Jefferson Parrish adjacent to New Orleans. "Give me a caring idiot,give me a sensitive idiot. Just don't give me the same idiot."

Elmo T
09-13-05, 09:29 AM
Brown was able to handle the four hurricanes in Florida last year.... The variable seems to be state and local officials(Mayor of N.O. & Gov. of LA) that aren't qualified to handle their jobs.

Agreed. But it wasn't Brown doing his job in Florida, it was Jeb Bush doing his. While I don't really care for his politics, Jeb Bush was on top of the hurricane situation. I don't think Brown is the man for the job, but he is the fall guy on this.

Those of us in emergency management have been saying FEMA was in trouble for some time. The flaws in the system were finally exposed.

They need a strong leader in FEMA. But regardless of who is put in that position - without the true support of the Administration, a well-funded FEMA and a recognition of the need for an all-hazards approach to emergency management - they will be headed for failure.

rabbit
09-13-05, 09:34 AM
I heard on the radio yesterday that Florida had offered the services of its hurricane response team to Mississippi and Louisiana prior to Katrina hitting the coast. Both states declined the assistance. :shakehead

KLang
09-13-05, 09:41 AM
Brown was able to handle the four hurricanes in Florida last year. This year one hurricane hits New Orleans and suddenly he doesn't know what he's doing. The variable seems to be state and local officials(Mayor of N.O. & Gov. of LA) that aren't qualified to handle their jobs. I believe the media can also take some credit (blame) for hyping the situation to critical mass in order to out do each other for headlines.

Another variable is the sheer magnitude of this disaster. Over 90000 square miles effected. :saywhat: IMO it isn't realistic to expect any government to be able to swoop in and rescue everyone and deliver aid to everyone in an amount of time that will please everyone.

Probably not good to discuss here but the issue of Federal vs. local control needs to be addressed for situations like this.

Michaelhatesfans
09-13-05, 09:50 AM
self edit.

But I'll be back.... :cool:

indyfan31
09-13-05, 10:01 AM
They are putting a Fire Chief in charge. :thumbup: :thumbup:

And with real credentials.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Federal Emergency Management Agency director Mike Brown resigned Monday, three days after losing his onsite command of the Hurricane Katrina relief effort. The White House picked a top FEMA official with three decades of firefighting experience as his replacement.

R. David Paulison, head of FEMA's emergency preparedness force, will lead the beleaguered agency, according to two senior administration sources who spoke on condition of anonymity because the announcement had not yet been made.

Paulison is a career firefighter from Miami who was among emergency workers responding to Hurricane Andrew in 1992 and the crash of ValuJet Flight 592 in the Florida Everglades in 1996, according to a biography posted on FEMA's Web site. He also has led the U.S. Fire Administration since December 2001, according to the site.

I wouldn't get too excited yet, isn't this the guy who suggested we wrap our houses in plastic and duct tape in case of a terrorist attack?

Ed_Severson
09-13-05, 10:34 AM
It seems Brown's primary mistake in this situation was not being assertive enough. Mayor Nagin and Governor Blanco sat on their hands, and while Brown should have been screaming bloody murder about it, he was content to sit back and watch until they got their act together.

His qualifications for the job are open to debate -- I personally think he handled the situation well once the locals asked for aid -- but we have to remember that he also falsified information on his resume, which is a big no-no. For that alone, I can't say that I have any regrets about his resignation.

Elmo T
09-13-05, 11:00 AM
I wouldn't get too excited yet, isn't this the guy who suggested we wrap our houses in plastic and duct tape in case of a terrorist attack?

:rofl:

I heard that on the radio this morning. I don't know who originally said that, but it very well could have been Paulison. I don't recall the exact quotes either.

It is called "Shelter-in-Place" and, in practice, it is a very appropriate action if you live near an industrial/chemical facility. It isn't the whole house either. ;) Under certain circumstances, evacuation might not be the most prudent course of action. Shelter-in-Place might be appropriate in those cases. Encouraging everyone to prepare for shelter in place for a WMD event, without a proper risk assessment is a waste of resources and of people's time.

FWIW, I did not prepare my shelter kit.

And as Klang pointed out - the reality is that you can't save everyone. :(

Skater_36
09-13-05, 11:04 AM
Another variable is the sheer magnitude of this disaster. Over 90000 square miles effected. :saywhat: IMO it isn't realistic to expect any government to be able to swoop in and rescue everyone and deliver aid to everyone in an amount of time that will please everyone.

Probably not good to discuss here but the issue of Federal vs. local control needs to be addressed for situations like this.

Agree on all points. :thumbup:

Hard Driver
09-13-05, 11:52 AM
Many people screwed up, From the Mayor of NO all the way up to President Bush. It looks like almost everyone in charge didn't do the right things. The only people that really did do the right things seemed to be the Coast Guard and the local first responders who stayed.

Dr. Corkski
09-13-05, 12:03 PM
Mike Brown had all the qualities that you could have possibly hoped for in an emergency response leader. He was:

clueless
only able to respond according to a specfic plan
a bad liar
not wanting to make any decisions
displaying zero leadership skills
showing no signs of taking charge of the situation
clueless
incompetent

The wanker deserves everything that's coming to him. :gomer:

oddlycalm
09-13-05, 02:21 PM
Mike Brown had all the qualities that you could have possibly hoped for in an emergency response leader. He was:

clueless
a bad liar
clueless
incompetent

The wanker deserves everything that's coming to him. :gomer: All true enough. His only real qualification for the job was his willingness to accept major budget cuts without complaint and cut significant numbers of key personnel from FEMA when he was directed to do so.

oc

fourrunner
09-13-05, 03:04 PM

clueless
a bad liar
clueless
incompetent

The wanker deserves everything that's coming to him. :gomer:

Sounds like the requirements needed to be a Congressman (Either Party) ;)