PDA

View Full Version : Two Red Bull Teams

Hard Driver
09-10-05, 12:27 PM
So Red Bull bought Minardi.. Wouldn't you think the extra money would be better spent making one team a winner than having two lower budget teams.. I don't get it myself.

A Champcar team or series sponsorship makes more sense than a 2nd F1 team as well, IMO.

dcracer
09-10-05, 02:14 PM
This article may shed some light on the subject.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns15541.html

Dr. Corkski
09-10-05, 02:55 PM
No more Stoddart. :thumbup:

Night Train
09-10-05, 05:31 PM
It gets Scott Speed an F1 ride, though which will improve the Red Bull marketing in the US.

oddlycalm
09-10-05, 06:30 PM
So Red Bull bought Minardi.. Wouldn't you think the extra money would be better spent making one team a winner than having two lower budget teams.. I don't get it myself.

A Champcar team or series sponsorship makes more sense than a 2nd F1 team as well, IMO. I doubt Champcar was ever a consideration in this process. If we are to take the Red Bull press statement at face value the reasons for the move are:

1. Red Bull has more talented drivers than it has available cockpits.
2. The second team will be able to maintain its current assets while also being able to generate its own income in the future, in order to become self- financing.
3. Red Bull now has a second vote in any matters raised regarding the future of Formula One.

Three guesses as to the primary motivation. ;) I'd add that the ability to test two semi-independent parallel chassis approaches will be worth quite a lot. Still, if it were me I'd have rather bought an engine house. As long as RB is dependent on engines from outside they are unlikely to consistantly reach the podium. Ferrari certainly wouldn't continue to supply them for long if they were getting consistantly beaten by RB.

oc

The Doctor
09-11-05, 02:05 AM
Sad that the Minardi name finally leaves the sport. However, the team is kept alive and that is a bonus as not only will it stick around it will be well-funded. Plus it should be an exciting duo with Liuzzi and Speed as Adam Cooper reports that Dr. Marko says that will be the lineup. A serious upgrade to the grid, although Doornbos and Albers are certainly no slackers. A new team to cheer for. Go Speed! :thumbup:

jonovision_man
09-11-05, 07:43 AM
They'll save some money not doing R&D, they're supposedly going to use the Red Bull chassis from 2005 next year.

I've been poking around on what is legal and what is not, and it seems they can legally sell the plans to Minardi who can build the cars from scratch. In 2008 they should be able to sell the actual cars, which will make the extra team even cheaper to run.

jono

pchall
09-11-05, 10:16 AM
... In 2008 they should be able to sell the actual cars, which will make the extra team even cheaper to run.

jono

So, will we see other operations setting up junior teams to build a used car market?

Cam
09-11-05, 10:26 AM
So, will we see other operations setting up junior teams to build a used car market?

I have read that McLaren are considering it.

coolhand
09-11-05, 02:30 PM
So what engine will the "b" red bull team be running? de-tuned v-10?

oddlycalm
09-11-05, 05:24 PM
So what engine will the "b" red bull team be running? de-tuned v-10? And right there is the sticking point, hence my previous comment on engine supply. Unless Red Bull can secure competitive engines they will be fielding a mid-pack team and a backmarker team. Ferrari may supply the A team next season, but how long do we imagine that will last if they manage to outpace Ferrari on a regular basis? Without a long term engine partner I don't see where Red Bull looks to get stronger than a solid mid-pack effort.

The McLaren move makes more sense to me as they have an exclusive partnership with an engine supplier and should be able to use the same engines for both teams if they wish.

oc

pchall
09-11-05, 07:44 PM
... they're supposedly going to use the Red Bull chassis from 2005 next year.

I've been poking around on what is legal and what is not, and it seems they can legally sell the plans to Minardi who can build the cars from scratch. In 2008 they should be able to sell the actual cars, which will make the extra team even cheaper to run.

jono

If Minardi can build the 2005 Red Bull car to run in 2006, why couldn't they build the 2006 car instead? Why buy the team to immediately handicap them with an old chassis and a hobbled engine? Minardi will just be wasting another year.

BTW, anybody else think that Red Bull should line up a vodka sponsor for their B team?

jonovision_man
09-11-05, 08:11 PM

That's the story. As another poster said, Maclaren are considering it, and when you think of the dollars and cents it makes a lot of sense to do it. Cheap compared to developing a chassis from scratch, maybe some of the privateers could get back in.

jono

jonovision_man
09-11-05, 08:14 PM
If Minardi can build the 2005 Red Bull car to run in 2006, why couldn't they build the 2006 car instead? Why buy the team to immediately handicap them with an old chassis and a hobbled engine? Minardi will just be wasting another year.

BTW, anybody else think that Red Bull should line up a vodka sponsor for their B team?

I'm not sure it's legal to sell your current specs.

Here's what I had gleaned from an ITV article about a Maclaren B team for 2007:
http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=33989

In order to be eligible to enter Formula 1 as a new team, the B squad would have to buy the intellectual property rights to the 2006 McLaren design and then build the chassis itself, as is required under the Concorde Agreement.

However, the new rules set to be introduced in 2008 are likely to permit the sale of chassis from one team to another, at which point a number of other top teams may well be tempted to run second operations.

Since it's in the Concorde Agreement, us mortals can't see it to see the exact wording, though.

jono

Jervis Tetch 1
09-12-05, 01:04 AM

A Champcar team or series sponsorship makes more sense than a 2nd F1 team as well, IMO.
You would think that.