PDA

View Full Version : Philly proposal changed

rabbit
09-09-05, 10:52 AM
Link (http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/local/states/pennsylvania/counties/philadelphia_county/philadelphia/12596237.htm)
BugMeNot sign-in info: flick@pantagraph.com, password "philly"

Fri, Sep. 09, 2005

Proposal for racing on Parkway revised

Actor Paul Newman and his Champ Car World Series colleagues still want to hold a high-speed auto race on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway, but they've downshifted their plans a bit.

In their August visit to the city, the Champ Car representatives ran into resistance from the Parkway's cultural and educational institutions after they pitched their car-race idea.

Now, Champ Car has modified its proposal and hired the heavyweight, Philly-based law firm of Pepper Hamilton L.L.P. to make inroads with community leaders and the city's major players.

Champ Car also is no longer asking the city to widen Race Street between 19th and 20th Streets in front of Moore College of Art and Design to accommodate the racecourse. Other changes are in the works, as well, according to Champ Car officials.

"The perception of what we're trying to accomplish has been... blown out of proportion," Joe Chrnelich, a Champ Car executive vice president, said yesterday. "I think we can accomplish the circuit with a minimum of improvements."

pchall
09-09-05, 11:55 AM
Link (http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/local/states/pennsylvania/counties/philadelphia_county/philadelphia/12596237.htm)
BugMeNot sign-in info: flick@pantagraph.com, password "philly"

Just remember, folks. There is nothing so woodenheaded or obstinant than an academic with a mindset and a career track. I've been there and dealt with that. :shakehead

fourrunner
09-09-05, 05:17 PM
Pepper Hamilton is one of those "Blue Blooded" Law Firms that goes way back ( Founded in 1890 )...Definitely a Powerhouse Firm that knows the Ins & Outs of Philadelphia Politics & where the bodies are buried

Paul Newman starred in a Movie back in the 50's called "The Young Philadelphians" ... He was an up & Coming Lawyer ( From the wrong side of town) in an Old Philadelphia Law Firm ... Sorta like Pepper Hamilton , sorta stuffy but very powerful

I'm impressed that Champ Car is willing to spend the bucks to make this work

:thumbup:

TravelGal
09-09-05, 08:06 PM
[QUOTE=fourrunner
I'm impressed that Champ Car is willing to spend the bucks to make this work

:thumbup:[/QUOTE]

You took the words right off of my fingers. This REALLY shows commitment, initiative--all those good words.

oddlycalm
09-09-05, 10:25 PM
Very interesting indeed. I'm pleased at the determination on the part of CCWS, but I'm even more impressed with their agile handling of a touchy situation. No butting heads with the locals, public shows of exasperation or name calling, just a revised approach with the enlistment of some local heavyweights.

If CART had a management team capable of operating like this during the 90's can you imagine where they would be today...? Sad really that so much was squandered so needlessly.

oc

fourrunner
10-21-05, 07:16 PM
AutoRacing1.com is saying that Joe Chernelick was spotted leaving Philadelphia Today... supposedly after meetings possibly putting final touches on the Philly Race

This is the first of anything I've seen on the Race and the meetings are certainly being held under the radar, which makes sense !

I'm guessing that things must be going well if Joe is still flying in for meetings... bad news can be handled over the phone ! The last local article I read seemed to report that the Race would happen... just need to iron out the details

Hoping this happens ! :)

ChrisB
10-21-05, 08:14 PM
Good to hear all this! BTW, please remember folks... during the Live8 concerts, the crowds at some of the bigger shows like London and Berlin were in the 200k range.... but the crowd on the Philly Parkway was 800k .... Yo!!!

Ironically, I always kinda thought of the Parkway and the big wide turn in front of the Art Museum would make for an interesting street circuit... I guess I wasn't the only one.

I saw the layout of the track on on one of these forums. Actually I'd be happy with a simple roval of going one way down the Parkway... around the Museum Circle... down the other side of the Parkway... around the Fountain circle... and back down again. That would probably be cool enough as is!