PDA

View Full Version : Tapes reviewed in Indy and a new winner declared!

pchall
09-07-05, 10:38 AM
link (http://www.nhra.com/apcm/templates/news_template.asp?articleid=7784&zoneid=7)

NHRA officials announced today that the result of Monday’s Pro Stock Motorcycle final has been overturned, and the victory at the 51st annual Mac Tools U.S. Nationals has been awarded to Steve Johnson.

Following yesterday’s final round, the win light indicated Matt Smith was the winner of the race. However, video replays of the run showed that Johnson’s motorcycle was just in front of Smith’s entry at the finish.

“Although it is always our desire to provide finality to the event for both the competitors and the fans at the event’s conclusion, upon further review, it’s obvious that the finish line beam did not detect the front tire of Johnson’s motorcycle and instead was triggered by another component of the motorcycle,” said Graham Light, senior vice president of racing operations, NHRA.

Posted with apologies to any and all Paul Tracy fans who stroked out reading the topic. :gomer:

CART T. Katz
09-07-05, 10:50 AM
no need.

all it shows is that a legitimate, serious racing organ-i-zation double checks its competitors in case of a questionable situation.

thank you nhra for making anton look even more like an imbecile, if that's possible, and in indy to boot!

devilmaster
09-07-05, 12:01 PM
at least they didn't lose the last 3 pages of their press release..... :D

NismoZ
09-07-05, 12:11 PM
So, you mean the timing light sort of "passed through" the rubber tire and didn't trip 'til it hit the wheel? :confused:

TKGAngel
09-07-05, 12:26 PM
I thought this was going to be about how the IRL managed to find a way to give the victory of this year's Indy to Danica and not Danny Wheldon.

Chief
09-07-05, 02:33 PM
At least the NHRA had the decency to correct the mistake.

IMS, FTG, FBG and FRP all agreed to sweep it under the rug 3 years ago at Indy and NOT have the decency to change the decision, they just lied and deceived the fans. The fan will never forget. Remember when you could lop off 50,000 of 400,000 and no one would know any different? Well, 400,000 was actually 257,000 and it's dropping each year. You'd think the geniuses over at 16th and Georgetown care but they don't. Fthem.

Peter Venkman
09-07-05, 06:57 PM
Paul Tracy, Indy 500 Winner, Helio Castroneves, fence monkey.

Jervis Tetch 1
09-07-05, 09:39 PM
Paul Tracy, Indy 500 Winner, Helio Castroneves, fence monkey.
:laugh:

Gangrel
09-08-05, 08:37 AM
So, you mean the timing light sort of "passed through" the rubber tire and didn't trip 'til it hit the wheel? :confused:

My educated guess as an NHRA fan? Those bikes spend a lot of time on their rear wheel. Sometimes 3/4 to the full run. I believe those beams are set high enough that even if the tire is as far off the ground as it should conceivably be, it will trip. I am guessing that was not the case this time around. Human error in setting up the beams.