PDA

View Full Version : New Talent

rjohnson999
09-06-05, 09:58 PM
Someone to keep an eye on besides the scion's of racing families: Jay Howard.

He came to the U.S. a year ago and won his first Pacific Coast F2000 on a track he'd never seen in a car he'd never driven before.

Did the same thing this year in the Cooper Series opener at Road Atlanta, has won all but two of that series' races thus far and has a commanding lead in the points.

Last weekend he did a one-off in the Pro Formula Mazda Series for Richie Hearn at Mosport and, again, in a car he'd never driven on a track he'd never seen before qualified second and won the race.

The 2004 Cooper Series Champion, Bobby Wilson, just got a huge write up from Robin Miller after a couple of Formula Atlantic and IPS rides. Of course, Bobby is American and Jay is a Brit. Even so, I'm thinking Jay might be the stronger driver.

TorontoWorker
09-07-05, 09:05 AM
Even so, I'm thinking Jay might be the stronger driver.

I'm thinking your right! They couldn't touch him during the race. I watched him through moss - it took him 3 laps to get the fast line through 5A & 5B. I know regional drivers who are still hunting for the fastest line through here after 10 years!

He just seems so calm when he drives - no wasted moves or wiggles under braking - just smooth and fast. I don't know who is manager is but if I had a few bucks I would join in on the band wagon as it can only grow from here.

Easy
09-07-05, 10:36 AM
Someone to keep an eye on besides the scion's of racing families: Jay Howard.

He came to the U.S. a year ago and won his first Pacific Coast F2000 on a track he'd never seen in a car he'd never driven before.

That was a Cooper Series event at Sears Point not the Pacific Coast series. Howard is incredible under braking. Visibly faster than anyone in the Zetec field at Road America last month. You watch the car on its edge as he's driving and think that he can't keep doing it lap after lap but he manages to keep it under control. I'm not sure how he'd do in longer distance races but he manages quite well in the junior formula sprint format.

Between Howard and Wilson, I'd say Wilson is the more intelligent driver and would take him in a high level race until Howard proves he can keep the car under him for long distances.

NismoZ
09-07-05, 12:00 PM
Can't debate either way, but it's fun reading about guys like this and wondering what the future holds...because (without naming names) all too often these guys simply hit a dead end and are seldom heard from again. Unfortunately for many of the American drivers I think that dead end is lack of money, not talent.

NismoZ
09-07-05, 12:02 PM

Dr. Corkski
09-07-05, 01:50 PM
Can't debate either way, but it's fun reading about guys like this and wondering what the future holds...because (without naming names) all too often these guys simply hit a dead end and are seldom heard from again. Unfortunately for many of the American drivers I think that dead end is lack of money, not talent.I keep hearing about this kid Erick Hansen. Someone ought to give him a ride. I hear he is the second coming of RHR. ;)

Easy
09-07-05, 02:54 PM
He's probably like most kids, $3,000,000 short of making it to the top.

Sean O'Gorman
09-07-05, 04:46 PM
I heard he is the Barry Zito of formula car racing. :gomer:

Ankf00
09-07-05, 04:57 PM
I bet he's from Okiehoma.