PDA

View Full Version : Need gaming help

G.
09-06-05, 10:26 AM
What is the best racing game steering wheel/pedal set? Logitech?

What are some good games for a 7 year old boy? I'm looking for reward games, ie., we got the educational stuff pretty well-stocked, we need some mindless hand-eye fun.

Mother-in-law was floored when she saw him playing Medal of Honor. OK, she's got a point...

racer2c
09-06-05, 11:07 AM
I assume you're talking PC games right? Hmm, not up on the 7 yr old PC games. Madden 2006 just came out although it would probably be easier with a console controller then a mouse and keyboard for a young un.

Super hero games are good ones to try. Spiderman 2 was excellent as was the X-Men game. I hear that the new Hulk game is very good. My reference is the Xbox though, but I believe these games are on PC too.

Ed_Severson
09-06-05, 11:51 AM
I use the Logitech MOMO wheel (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2217,CONTENTID=6030) for my sim racing ... wouldn't pay less for any other product, but that's just me. :thumbup:

I'm a couple decades beyond 7, so I can't help you there. Sorry.

Kiwifan
09-06-05, 02:37 PM
My son purchased a Logitech Wingman Steering Wheel for the simple fact that you can use it on the PC and PS2 with it's USB. The wheel itself is pretty good, the only problem we have, being heavy breakers is that you need something to stop the pedals from "walking."

The only PS2 games we have had any trouble with are Gran Turismo3 where in "might" freeze once during a session but most times a swap to the hand controller fixed that and Midnight Club2 where the wheel is just hopeless. Or maybe it's me? ;)

Seriously, all the games apart from said MC2 make your driving so much better/quicker with a wheel. There are cheaper and more expensive wheels out there (we paid $NZ250. for one and $AUS150. as a run out) but the USB PC/PS2 function sold it for us.

Other games the kids love are the Tricky Snowboarder Series, Ice Hockey games and the obvious Cricket/Rugby Downunder type games. AS you know, the latter don't use steering wheels. :)

Have fun.

Rusty.

Dr. Corkski
09-06-05, 03:40 PM
What are some good games for a 7 year old boy? I'm looking for reward games, ie., we got the educational stuff pretty well-stocked, we need some mindless hand-eye fun.http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0007A5FWQ.02._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Make sure you get the "Hot Coffee Mod" for him.

emjaya
09-06-05, 07:42 PM
Try the Lego games,Lego racers 1&2,Lego stunt rally,Lego rock raiders etc,all are good imho.We have most of Legos pc games and find the kids love them,they are easy to play for the 5yo,but a challenge for older kids too. :)

racer2c
09-06-05, 09:39 PM
Try the Lego games,Lego racers 1&2,Lego stunt rally,Lego rock raiders etc,all are good imho.We have most of Legos pc games and find the kids love them,they are easy to play for the 5yo,but a challenge for older kids too. :)

Good tip, Lego Star Wars is a riot on the Xbox.

G.
09-09-05, 10:54 AM
I use the Logitech MOMO wheel (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2217,CONTENTID=6030) for my sim racing ... wouldn't pay less for any other product, but that's just me. :thumbup:

Picked up the Momo last night. Sweet! Can't wait to try it out.

Thanks, all. :thumbup:

(yes, PC gaming)

Ed_Severson
09-09-05, 01:45 PM
Trust me ... you're going to love it.

You will still need something to anchor the pedals. If you don't mind a tiny bit of drift, I've found that a simple beach towel underneath them works pretty well. I might have to readjust them every 30 minutes or so.

Hope you enjoy it!

G.
09-09-05, 02:05 PM
Trust me ... you're going to love it.

You will still need something to anchor the pedals. If you don't mind a tiny bit of drift, I've found that a simple beach towel underneath them works pretty well. I might have to readjust them every 30 minutes or so.

Hope you enjoy it!It's got the flip-down carpet grabbers that look like they might work well, else I can block it against the wall. What I need to do is figure out a way to lift up the pedal set for the seven-year-old, for when he plays that Grand Theft game that Cork recommends for the kiddies.

;) :laugh:

(I got a 4pack of HotPursuit games on the cheap. I'll score some Lego games soon.)

Skater_36
09-09-05, 03:03 PM
Are there any wheel/pedal controllers that will work on both PS2 and XBox?

racer2c
09-09-05, 03:19 PM
Are there any wheel/pedal controllers that will work on both PS2 and XBox?

It depends on if your Xbox is modded or not. If it's modded you can install standard USB ports (the XBOX controllers are USB but with propritery connections) and use a PC or PS2 USB wheel.
If your Xbox isn't modded, I don't think so, but there might be some adapters. I'll look around the mod pages to see.

Skater_36
09-09-05, 03:32 PM
It depends on if your Xbox is modded or not. If it's modded you can install standard USB ports (the XBOX controllers are USB but with propritery connections) and use a PC or PS2 USB wheel.
If your Xbox isn't modded, I don't think so, but there might be some adapters. I'll look around the mod pages to see.
The XBox is unmodded.
I appreciate the help! Let me know if you find any adapters. Leave it to Microsoft to use proprietary connections.