PDA

View Full Version : Dixie Chicks comment in London

DjDrOmusic
03-14-03, 03:17 PM
At their recent concert in London, the lead singer of the Dixie Chicks made the remark that they were ashamed of the fact that President Bush was from their home State of Texas. The people attending the concert cheered wildly. The comment has lead to a backlash against them in this country with several radio stations banning their music and people demanding refunds for concert tickets.

Being that I can see where this could become an issue in my own work, I'd like to know what you think. Is a ban on their music too harsh? Do you think they were right to make a comment to a foreign audience about our President? Is their constitutional right to speak freely being threatened by the ban?

I'd just like to know what everyones opinion is about this. Thanks

Leygomyeggo
03-14-03, 03:27 PM
I don't believe people famous from the entertainment industry have any business commenting on politics. Unfortunately, alot of fans idolize anything that the star portrays as just. I think it is irresponsible to use fame to further a personal agenda. Fans should be encoaraged to educate themselves and form their own opinions. I am a conservative and even though I agree with what most of what Ted Nugent says regarding the state of our country and the rest of the world, I would prefer he shut up and play his guitar.

mapguy
03-14-03, 03:30 PM
Firstly I do not think that their music should be pulled from air play. I'll just turn the dial if I hear their music. Never liked it anyway so that won't be a problem.

Secondly, when I go to a concert I want to listen to the artist's music. Not their political opinions.

rabbit
03-14-03, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by mapguy
Secondly, when I go to a concert I want to listen to the artist's music. Not their political opinions. Bingo.

BTW - Why is it okay for Hollywood (or Nashville) to critique politicians, but if politicians try to tell Hollywood what they're doing wrong, they get their shorts in a wad? :rolleyes: (That's a retorical question.)

RaceGrrl
03-14-03, 05:54 PM
Because actors are "artists" and as such, all of their speech is art and should never be questioned.

chop456
03-14-03, 06:31 PM
It doesn't bother me much.

Of course, it'd bother me less if they said it naked.

Don Quixote
03-14-03, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by chop456
It doesn't bother me much.

Of course, it'd bother me less if they said it naked.
That's just the point, they were fully clothed when they said these outrageous statements.

JoeBob
03-14-03, 06:55 PM
I'd be really curious to know if the people who are upset with the Dixie Chicks for sharing their political views are equally upset with Michael Waltrip for his doing the same thing on National TV a couple of weeks ago.

Personally, I don't see what makes the Dixie Chicks (or Michael Waltrip) any different from anybody else. In general, it is inappropriate to discuss politics at work. Any backlash their feeling is a perfect example of why mixing work and politics isn't a very good idea. If they're willing to bite the hand that feeds them - that is entirely under their control. I like my job, so I don't discuss politics with the people who sign my paychecks. Apparently, their jobs aren't that important to them, so they run their mouths. :D

The radio stations refusing to play their music is a little tougher issue to deal with, but they're a business. They play what their listeners want to hear. If they get 1,000 calls saying, "Play that Dixie Chicks song" they'll play it. If they get 1,000 calls saying, "Don't play that Dixie Chicks song" they won't play it. Now, if they got some directive from the suits saying, "We don't like what the Dixie Chicks said, so lets not play their music" that is a whole other ballgame.

As for what Celebs do in their free time, I don't see a problem with them using their free time to share their political views. Would you criticize Christopher Reeves for telling congress that we need more money for spinal cord injury research? Public government funds for spinal cord injury research have increased $20 million since he started talking about it. Five times as many people have Lupus, yet it receives two-thirds the funding. (From Stars Shine Light On Their Favorite Causes (http://www.usatoday.com/life/2002-09-03-hill-celebs_x.htm) )

I wish more people would educate themselves and take a stand on political issues. If hearing some celebrity stand up and say something causes one person to go and learn more about an issue and take a stand, I think that is a good thing. That said, I don't see how it is news every time somebody stands up and gives an opinion.

To rabbit's "rhetorical question" I'd say this: There is a big difference between citizens telling the government what to do and government telling citizens what to do. Last I checked, they work for us, not the other way around.

FLCARTfan
03-14-03, 08:16 PM
The fact that what she said makes perfect sense makes it O.K with me

Warlock!
03-14-03, 08:37 PM
Anything with "Dixie" in it's name should not be taken seriously.

Winter Warlock!

WickerBill
03-14-03, 08:49 PM
I do not want this to turn into a politics forum. There are other places to go to discuss politics. If I allow politics to be discussed here, this particular forum will be used for nothing but that in the coming days.

So if you will, allow me to lay some groundwork that some may like and some may not.

Discussion of the war, assuming it happens, is obviously fine.
Disagreeing with political views of politicians, celebrities, and fellow OC members is fine.
Bashing politicians, celebrities, and OC members for their viewpoints is NOT fine and will not be tolerated.
And the obvious -- hammering on people because of ethnicity (see Moran, Jim) will not be tolerated.

This forum will not turn into a free-for-all "Bush is an idiot" or "you're a Saddam sympathizer" forum, as long as I am around. It gains nothing and harms much.

If you wish to pursue political dialog with other internet forum members, may I direct you to:

US Politics Online (http://www.uspoliticsonline.com/forums/)

The Political Edge (http://cgi.3dresearch.com/~tpe/ultimatebb.cgi)

Indy Star Politics Forum (http://www.indystar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=9)

Hope you all understand. I guess what it boils down to is that I do not have the time, patience, or evenhandedness to moderate really "hot" political threads. And, unfortunately for you people who want to crack skulls on political topics, I make the rules here. ;)

I'd welcome your feedback on this post.

WB

mello
03-14-03, 09:02 PM
I think your rules are ok WB. In fact I like them.

RaceGrrl
03-14-03, 09:02 PM
"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"

"Come see the violence inherent in the system! Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

:D

I have no problem with not allowing this forum to turn into OffCamber.net Politics Deathmatch. Reasonable discussion okay, the rest I can do without.

RaceChic
03-14-03, 09:17 PM
I think Wickerbill's rules are a good idea and safe.
The last thing I want to see is our forum turn into one where people attack each others opinions in a non-constructive way. Sure, let's all express opinions as long as it is someting that is a discussion and doesn't hurt anyones feelings.
We united here for a very good reason and a positive outcome.:)

Railbird
03-14-03, 10:42 PM
Forgive me

Had the Chicks made their statement in the good old USA I wouldn't have blinked. Don't agree with their thoughts but we all have our opinions.

What they did was pander to a sympathetic audience.

Ziggy
03-14-03, 11:36 PM
RIGHT ON WICKERBILL, GET DOWN WITH YOUR BAD SELF

No sense in ruining a good racing forum with politics!!!

Ziggy

chop456
03-15-03, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by Warlock!
Anything with "Dixie" in it's name should not be taken seriously.

Winter Warlock!

Even Dixie brand beer? :eek:

Or that old favorite: "My Dixie Wrecked"?

DjDrOmusic
03-15-03, 04:46 AM
Sorry, I never meant for this to turn into a political dogfight. If it makes any of you feel better, I had a beer thrown at me on stage tonight because I played "Cowboy Take Me Away" by the Dixie Chicks. And no, my playing one of their songs was not a statement by me either way, my job is to entertain not to be a politician.

lone_groover
03-15-03, 06:45 AM
I never listened to the 'Chicks - not my cuppa. But now, I think I'll give them a spin.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

mello
03-15-03, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by DjDrOmusic
Sorry, I never meant for this to turn into a political dogfight. If it makes any of you feel better, I had a beer thrown at me on stage tonight because I played "Cowboy Take Me Away" by the Dixie Chicks. And no, my playing one of their songs was not a statement by me either way, my job is to entertain not to be a politician.

Man Doc, you have not been having good luck at bars lately. I hope the manager threw the sucker out.

RaceChic
03-15-03, 10:53 AM

What is going on? :confused:
Does that mean no more Dixie Chicks for me at Woo Doggies???:(

nrc
03-15-03, 01:13 PM
Scientists have yet to develop an instrument that can measure just how little I care about anything the Dixie Chicks have to say about politics.

Or just about any celebrity, for that matter.

Okay, I'd be happy to watch what Salma Hayek has to say about politics.

RaceGrrl
03-15-03, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by nrc
Okay, I'd be happy to watch what Salma Hayek has to say about politics.

Somehow I doubt that's what you'd be watching.

chop456
03-15-03, 03:23 PM
He didn't say "listen", did he? :D

DjDrOmusic
03-15-03, 03:32 PM
Don't worry RaceChic, I'll still play them for you!:D

RaceChic
03-15-03, 03:38 PM

Also, I think they better do some damage control and fast !!!!:shakehead

nrc
03-15-03, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by RaceGrrl
Somehow I doubt that's what you'd be watching.

I suppose having the sound muted would be a giveaway? :)

cart7
03-15-03, 09:12 PM
Does this mean we can't talk about racing politics? :D

fourrunner
03-16-03, 02:39 PM
I have a Dixie Chicks DVD.... I played it this morning... Sounded pretty much the same as it sounded a couple weeks ago when it first came out.

There political opinion didn't change the sound, didn't change their talent, didn't change their appeal to me.

They are VERY talented young Ladies that happen to be easy on the eyes! Their songs are catchy & fun!

I like Tobey Keith to! wonder if he wants to burn the Dixie Chicks Records?

Or should we all be Lemmings??

RaceChic
03-16-03, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by fourrunner
I have a Dixie Chicks DVD.... I played it this morning... Sounded pretty much the same as it sounded a couple weeks ago when it first came out.

There political opinion didn't change the sound, didn't change their talent, didn't change their appeal to me.

They are VERY talented young Ladies that happen to be easy on the eyes! Their songs are catchy & fun!

I like Tobey Keith to! wonder if he wants to burn the Dixie Chicks Records?

Or should we all be Lemmings??

I agree with that. I am a fan of them and will listen to them anyway. Not that I agree with what they did. It was a stupid professional moveand was obviously done without much thought at all, especially with the president being frome Texas and their home town of all places. The people from there would take pride in the president being from their home town. Not wise at all.....:confused:

Turn7
03-17-03, 11:15 AM
My viewpoint: They have the right to say what ever they want to. The people that ususally buy or play the product they produce have the right to continue to support them or not. If radio stations decide to stop playing the music they produce that is a decision that they make and should not be questioned.

There are many musicians that I like that are not played on the radio. Big deal.

If you make a living off of a certian demographic, then it would be best to make decisions and statements that go along with the beliefs of that group of people. If not, you better be prepared to target another audience.

Tokyo Rose was a talanted DJ, that doesn't make what she did right.